Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: Kristi Denney, R D Carnegie, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:44 am

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 2:6-7
Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to His own advantage; rather, He made Himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. (NIV)

Thoughts
FF Bruce paraphrases Philippians 2:6-7 saying, "Christ made Himself nothing instead of exploiting His equality with God for His own advantage...He emptied Himself, divested Himself, not of His divine nature, but of the glories, the prerogatives of Deity."
A few years back I used to receive regular invitations to attend the Bassmaster Classics as a press observer. The takeoffs each morning from the designated marina were truly impressive, 50 boats all lined up in the correct order. The pro anglers drew the night before for their starting position.
As soon as the starting flag was dropped, the angler would slam the throttle forward, the outboard engine erupting in a blast of ear splitting noise, the boat literally jumping out of the water, and boat and angler racing to be the first angler at the planned fish holding spot. Many times these first runs would be 20-30 miles.
(Tom B)

Action Point
In our personal, business, working, and even in fishing and hunting lives, the drive is to be first, "get there with the most." There is nothing wrong in wanting to do your best, but stop and take a look around. See those who can't be first; they don't have a literal sleek bass boat with a 250 hp engine hanging on the transom.
How can we follow Christ's example, "...made Himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant." Maybe it's the best parking spot at grocery store; take the worst parking spot and leave the best ones to others. Maybe it's the best fishing spot; back off and let others have a chance to sample the fishing action. In bass or saltwater fishing, the person in the front of the boat always has a better chance to catch more fish because he gets first shot at the fish. Let the other angler in the boat choose a spot where they want to try their luck, maybe even let him or her run the trolling motor. Boats are big and wide enough now that two anglers can fish off the front deck. Share the front deck and the fish.
Maybe it's controlling the TV remote. Let the other person choose the program to watch. It feels good sometimes to not be number one and help others have their day in the sun.
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:16 am

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 9:13-18
Folly is an unruly woman; she is simple and knows nothing. She sits at the door of her house, on a seat at the highest point of the city, calling out to those who pass by, who go straight on their way, “Let all who are simple come to my house!” To those who have no sense she says, “Stolen water is sweet; food eaten in secret is delicious!” But little do they know that the dead are there, that her guests are deep in the realm of the dead.
(NIV)

Thoughts
The imagery presented for folly in today’s scripture is striking. A woman seduces passersby with the promise of a tasty reward for dishonest conduct. The final scene depicts emptiness. Despite my mentor’s full awareness of annually published legal hunting hours, the guidance he offered to me as a young man was, “If you can see, you can shoot.” Anyone who has ever hunted pressured white-tailed deer over a picked corn field know that it’s common for them to show up late in the evening. Add a full moon or some snow on the ground and it becomes very tempting to shoot after legal hunting hours have ended, because the target is still clearly visible, especially through quality optics. Rules are established to direct the best possible outcome. Not to prevent success, but to reduce risk. Not for rule’s sake, but to maintain safety. Not as a legal power play, but to create equity for participants. And how will you feel if you continue hunting after hours and end up harvesting your quarry? You’ll know you behaved unjustly. You’ll be convicted each time you tell the story. Just like the Ten Commandments were given to promote wellbeing and long-term, sustainable relationships, the game laws are given to promote successful outcomes, not just today, but over the long term. Not just for one, but for all. (Jason L.)

Action Point
Admittedly, I’ve taken some last-light shots that, unfortunately, resulted in bad outcomes. Had I obeyed the rules to a tee, it would have prevented some feelings of disgust and shame following missed shots or lost game. Just like with questionable decisions in other aspects of life, there are consequences for poor judgment in hunting situations, as well. When presented with an option, choose wisdom over folly.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:39 am

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 14:17 (ESV)
17 A man of quick temper acts foolishly, and a man of evil devices is hated.

Thoughts
Uggh!
I was preparing for the upcoming archery deer season and I was learning how to shoot a new thumb button release.
I had shot several arrows that evening, and then halfway into drawing my bow, the release went off, sending my arrow into a field behind my target and causing my release hand to punch myself in the chin. I wish I had a video; I bet that looked hilarious. I use lighted nocks, so after sunset, I was able to walk the field and find my arrow, but I still couldn’t explain why, after several good shots, the release would trigger without warning. Save me the lessons on adjusting my release; that’s not the point. The point is this: it seems that we, as human beings, are triggered so easily these days. It’s like we prepare ourselves for the fight long before any fight is present. We have to say something that is triggering, or we get triggered for what seems something insignificant. We do it with politics, religion, hunting and even our spouses sometimes. We think, “I’m ready for when they say something…”
Notice the problem is internal.
What are we full of? Hate, jealousy, anger, and malice, or are we full of love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, and kindness. Which will find its way out of our mouths? Jesus said, “for his mouth speaks from the overflow of the heart.” (Luke 6:45c)
Dennis W.

Action Point
I don’t know what is happening with the inside of my new release, but it needs adjusting, just like my life needs an adjustment. I desperately need God to tighten some screws and loosen others. Maybe He needs to remove some tension in my life, or I need some added, but only by the power of the Holy Spirit who lives in me, knows me, and corrects me.
I don’t want to be the foolish man with a quick temper triggered by the smallest thing. I want to be a man of God who encourages and speaks kindness, joy, and peace.

Holy Spirit, fill me up and have your way in my life. Speak through me so I sound more like You than me. Please don’t allow my temper to be triggered today, according to your power. Amen

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Jul 13, 2024 3:49 pm

Bible Study Verse
For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, and My blessing on your offspring. Isaiah 44:3 (NKJV)

Thoughts
Jessie was what you might consider a normal teenage boy. By all appearances, he was just like any other fifteen year old. If you assumed that, you would be wrong.

Jessie's parents died tragically in an accident when he was ten years old and he was taken from his home in the big city and placed with his grandfather far back in the Ozark Mountains.

Jessie's grandfather was a wise and Godly old man who loved Jessie with all his heart. He taught Jessie to hunt those majestic hills and to catch fish from the creeks, lakes, and rivers. He taught Jessie to raise a garden and to preserve the vegetables for winter. Jessie was well cared for, and he loved his grandfather, but he was hollow on the inside. He was bitter and alone. He was thirsty and dry on the inside.

One day, Jessie and his grandfather went to one of their favorite places. It was a huge rock that overlooked a beautiful clear lake. Many times before, grandfather had brought him here. Sometimes they would scramble down to the lake below and fish. Sometimes they would bring the old .410 shotgun and shoot squirrels. Sometimes they would just talk.

Today, grandfather reached inside his old coat and pulled out a tattered Bible. There, sitting on that big rock, overlooking that vast lake, Jesus Christ changed Jessie on the inside. He was dry and thirsty and God gave him water - and not just a little - Jesus sent a flood into a dry desert that forever changed the condition of the heart and the eternal destination of the soul.
(Brian H)

Action Point
Life is tough.

The man or woman who tries to shoot the rapids of life alone will quickly find themselves wandering in a spiritual desert, devoid of peace and joy - dying of spiritual thirst.

Our God has a habit - a character trait, really - of giving more than we ever ask for and more than we can ever dream of. When we need a drink of water, God doesn't just hand us a cup that refreshes only our dry and parched throat, but rather, He pours water on us that quenches our thirst and washes the dust off of us and thoroughly refreshes us. He goes above and beyond what we ask and gives us instead what we really need.

How great is our God to do more than just give us a little sip of His goodness but to pour out His love, compassion, strength, and renewal upon us!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Aug 01, 2024 11:57 am

Bible Study Verse
You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in your Word. [PS 119:114--ESV]
You are a hiding place for me; You preserve me from trouble; You surround me with shouts of deliverance. [PS 32:7]
In the cover of Your presence You hide them...You store them in Your shelter. [PS 31:20]

Thoughts
Many Psalms contain David's conversations with his Lord. In 32:7 and 119:114 he calls God his hiding place [covert covering] and shield [protector]. He said that his hope [waiting patiently and hopefully] was in God's Word.
Notice how personal this was--my hiding place...my shield...hiding place for me...you preserve me...you hide me.
Notice the protection that God gives--you hide me [2x's]...preserve me [guard, protect, conceal]...surround me [encompass]. And in 31:20--in the covering [same as hiding place] of your presence [face]...store them [hedge, guard, protect] in your shelter [hut, covered place].
David promises that our personal God offers protection, concealment and safety.
Meditate on, ponder this and hope in God's Word. Take Him at His Word...rest in Him...and tell others what He has said. Fred B.

Action Point
The meanings of David's words remind me of a hunter concealing himself in a ground blind. After my heart attack in 2007, hunting methods had to change, due to my new heart med's. It was no longer wise nor safe for me to use a climber or a ladder stand. My initial reaction to this forced change was not good. Early ground blinds were heavy, hard to put up, and even harder to get back into the carry bag! However, the advantages soon became very clear to me--concealment and safety. Though ground blinds were not very mobile then, my deer and turkey harvests actually increased!
Today's ground blinds are lighter [some under 10 lbs], go up in minutes, and come down just as quickly. Fully mobile, they now come in awesome camo patterns and are lined with a black scent-blocking shield--all very important for concealment. [See above]
My Barronnett RoadRunner blind weighs 8-9 lbs, is scent-proof, and goes up quickly and quietly for mobility. My Muddy Prevue 2 has two sides that are one-way see through [See picture above]. Weighing just 12 lbs, it's great for bow or gun hunting, and you'll LOVE the see-through sides!
In my blinds I can stand and stretch, both of which are very important for keeping warm and helping my circulation. They also serve as a covert shelter in which to hunt, plus mentor my grandkids or friends, read my Bible, observe and photograph wildlife--all without my movements being detected.
Mobility, concealment and safety are the main advantages, and my main reasons for hunting from a ground blind. Try out one before the season.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Aug 11, 2024 12:25 am

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 145:1-3
A psalm of praise. Of David.
1 I will exalt you, my God the King; I will praise your name for ever and ever. 2 Every day I will praise you and extol your name for ever and ever. 3 Great is the LORD and most worthy of praise; his greatness no one can fathom. NIV

Thoughts
I love late afternoon whitetail hunts. I like to sit in a specific stunning hardwood area. Even if I do not get a deer, I am happy with everything that usually takes place. I watch the squirrels scurry about collecting acorns and prepping for approaching cold weather. I occasionally see hawks gliding high overhead and hear owls beckoning for nightfall. At dusk, there are always dozens of wood ducks darting in the timber to roost. As darkness falls when it’s clear and crisp, the Milky Way decorates the sparkly night sky, and if the moon is near full—wow, how awesome it is. I am genuinely thankful to the Creator for allowing me to soak it in and enjoy everything He has made. Andy D.

Action Point
Consider your special place to hunt, fish, camp, or visit. Is it breathtaking? Is it amazing? I’m sure you hold it dear to your heart and long to be there, just as I do. Think about the One who has created it. Imagine how mighty He is to have made everything that we can see or imagine, from the vastness of space and the universe to the minute engineering of the atoms and everything in between. The Lord God has made it all, and at this moment, He holds it all together by His own might. He is great, magnificent, loving, and kind. I praise him right now in this writing. Let us all give praise, honor, glory, and thanksgiving to Him now and forever more.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:02 am

Bible Study Verse
“He lifted my feet out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.” - Psalm 40:2 (NIV)

Thoughts
This morning, I got a notification that an Ice Fishing Derby on the lake where I live is canceled for this weekend. It’s Friday, and the derby was supposed to be tomorrow. We’ve had a super mild winter here in Michigan, and we only had about 4 good days to ice fish before the most recent warm up began. Normally the lake is littered with ice shanties, but right now, there’s not even one on the lake. The ice is punky, varying in thickness from hardly any ice up to about 8”. In order for it to be safe, there has to be about 4” of solid ice to walk on, and more than that to bring a quad, side-by-side, or truck out onto it. The officials of the derby made the right call. There truly is no place safe to stand or walk.

Action Point
It reminds me of how important it is to have solid footing. Psalm 40 tells us that God provides us a firm place to stand. Without God in our lives, we would be slip sliding all over the place, taking plunges into the depths of our own “wisdom”. It’s important to remember how God has given us a firm foundation for our lives to be built on, now and into the future.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:07 am

Bible Study Verse
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭5‬:‭8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Thoughts
In late summer, coyote pups come to a call without much hesitation. It is a great time to manage your land from predation. The young pups have not been educated by hunters using calls. They learn the drill quickly. I’d guess you would put two and two together quickly as well if each time you heard a call a gunshot followed.
Dlain T

Action Point
Mature Christians we need to educate the young Christians of the wiles of the enemy. Help them understand that stepping into our walk with Christ doesn’t mean everything is easy now. It’s quite the opposite, the enemy is going to put up a fight.
Young Christians seek guidance. Find a mentor that will help you find the Holy call for your life not the one of the enemy. Don’t try to walk this journey alone. Lone coyote pups don’t stand a chance to a seasoned caller.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:10 am

Bible Study Verse
Matt 15:11 “It’s not what goes into the mouth that defiles a man, but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” (HCSB)

Thoughts
When subsistence hunting, there are a few issues in which to be aware. Like not eating or handling the brain. Making sure to gut your harvest without tainting the meat with certain fluids from the animal. Cooling the meat quickly. Cleaning the vertebral artery when gutting trout. Historically, through those who came before us, we have learned what to do and not what to do with our game in order to enjoy the harvest. Michelle H.

Action Point
When Jesus came to this earth His purpose was to fulfill the prophecy and set up the new covenant. I don’t blame the average Joe for not understanding some of the changes to the law. The law had been made much more broad over the years (by man, not God) and traditions were formed. These traditions were held as law. It still, today, takes a lot of studying to understand that in this verse Jesus is telling us we may eat of God's creation without restriction. In Colossians 2:16 Paul states: Therefore, don’t let anyone judge you in regard to food and drink or in the matter of a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day. We are living under the new law.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:12 am

Bible Study Verse
1Sam 17:40 “Then he took his staff in his hand, and chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.” NIV
Rev 12:11 “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.” NIV

Thoughts
Stories. Tales of the hunt, the backcountry trek, ‘jeep’ trails, even fish stories (yeah, I know; fish stories). And for Cops stories of calls, good and bad, and the people we dealt with (mostly bad). Our stories of our experiences, adventures, successes and even failures, when shared, creates camaraderie, increases collective wisdom, builds trust within the group.
Permit me a quick tale of two supervisors. When I graduated from the academy, my first Sergeant had been a veteran homicide detective. He was a good mentor who had been there done that and he had great stories. He built a squad that could handle anything that came along. When I promoted to Sergeant, I emulated as many of his positive leadership traits as possible. Toward the end of my career, we got a new Sheriff. He brought with him a friend, and made him my Lieutenant. Unfortunately, he was a rookie with very little experience. As I labored under his ‘leadership’ I noted that there was a lack of connection that all the Sergeants were struggling with. I couldn’t figure it out, he was a nice guy, educated, reasonably intelligent; we just couldn’t connect where it mattered most. As I studied on it I realized what was missing. He had no stories. Lonnie B

Action Point
Why did David take his staff? There is evidence that ancient peoples carved their histories into their staff. Look at the previous verses. David told King Saul his story; v34 “…When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep…”v36 “Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them,…”. In my mind’s eye I can see King Saul looking at David’s staff, like an ancient ‘PowerPoint’, as he listened to the story. I believe David took his staff to battle to remind himself of what the Lord had done and, therefore, what the Lord will do.
Rev. 12:11 states that we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. What do you do when faced with the trials and tribulations of life? I know that I can look back and see what God has done for me in the past and I can, also, recall testimonies of others that have faced similar circumstances and overcame them. I am strengthened by these stories.
David remembered God’s help and went on to defeat the giant. Seems like good advice.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:14 am

Bible Study Verse
John 16:24b NIV “Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.”
John 16:16 NIV “You did not choose me, but I chose you, and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name”.
Matthew 21:22 NIV “If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Thoughts
Over the past few years I have taken up some new and different interests besides big game hunting. Because of this, I don’t have people to do these interests with me. All of my friends and family are just big game hunters. What is that interest, you ask? Shooting sporting clays. It has been an interesting challenge for me. In order to learn more about it I had to teach myself. I watched YouTube and other videos. I observed others shooting and I asked a lot of questions. Because I had no one to shoot with, I went alone. The first real sporting clay course I shot was in Hurricane, Utah and I was bad. I got really discouraged and frustrated. When you shoot about 10 out of 50 targets and see other people breaking 47-49 out of 50 it’s heart-breaking.

Action Point
So, what did I do? I asked God for help. Not to shoot better but to help me find someone who could help me understand the technique and process of how to learn to shoot the targets properly. Literally, the very next day, I went to shoot and there was a competition shoot taking place. I watched a man and woman shoot and WOW were they good. They had parked right next to me so, when they came back to their truck, they started up a conversation with me. I told them I was a new shooter and struggling. Their suggestion was simple. Don’t be discouraged. Do not care about results. Just work on your fundamentals and, with time and practice, everything will slow down for you and your scores will improve dramatically. They were right. Over the course of the next 5 years, my scores have gone from 10 out of 50 to 48 out of 50 targets. What did I learn in all this? Ask the Lord for help and he will answer. Jesus has put people in my life that have helped me improve my shooting simply by asking Him. Why are we reluctant to ask God for help? Is it your pride or ego? Do you think he doesn’t care? Your heavenly Father wants to help you in everything. Yes, everything! That means your personal relationships, your finances, your job, your hobbies, raising your children, etc. So, what are you not asking Him for help with? Read the verses above numerous times. Memorize them and ask Jesus for help in guiding your life in all situations.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:17 am

Bible Study Verse
1 Corinthians 15:33 NIV “Do not be misled; Bad company corrupts good character.”

Thoughts
In my many decades of outdoor experiences, I have met numerous people who were just not enjoyable to be around. They had a way of making the whole experience anything but fun. When it’s your job though, to guide people like that, you don’t have any other options. You suck it up, do your job, be of good cheer, and try to make a positive impression on them.

Action Point
Now that I’m no longer guiding people, I get to choose who I go with, and when, and where. The above verse is so true. “Bad company corrupts good character.” We need to be very careful about who we go on outdoor experiences with. Make sure you know you can trust them in a dangerous situation, like in a blizzard, a severe rain storm, or if someone is critically injured, etc. The same goes for our every-day life. Be careful who you choose to hang around with. Just because people put on a good front and they go to church doesn't automatically make them a person of good character. If the light of God flows from them, you will be able to tell. Bob M

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Aug 20, 2024 11:18 am

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 90:12 "So teach us to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom." LSB

Thoughts
This year has proven to be a year of change for me. Every aspect of my life and ministry seems to have faced changes to some degree. Some of those changes have been very difficult and some very enjoyable. For example, a few weeks ago I fell walking out of the woods in the dark after an evening bow hunt. I have fallen hundreds of times in the woods over the years, but this time was different. Every time before, I jumped right back up, dusted off, and kept going. This time my mind said, "Get up!" but my body said, "Hold on a minute!" It took me a second to gather my composer to stand again. This was a great reminder and revelation that I am getting old. Another change that happened recently that reminded me of the same truth was sending my son off to college. This is a change for our family that is both very good and difficult. However, he was able to come home a week ago for fall break. Of course, I was determined to put him on a buck he could harvest but we only had three nights to get it done. Thankfully he was successful. -Brandon B.

Action Point
Knowing that my days were numbered, I had to be laser-focused on the preparation and scouting needed to put my son on a deer. The short amount of time to harvest a deer increased my intensity and determination. We are watching a lot of difficult things going on in the world that should only make us realize that the Lord's return is getting closer. Our days are numbered and there is a harvest to be taken. Let the difficulties around you spur you on and build a desire in you to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with others while you still can. Don't let the difficulties discourage you, but rather embolden you with the truth of Jesus!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:47 am

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 7:7
“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you…. (NIV)

Thoughts
Every year for the past few years, I get to venture north into upper Michigan and meet up with some lifelong friends. These are fraternity brothers from college. A handful of us try and get together a couple times a year around our outdoor hobbies. This year’s came consisted of hiking for wild mushrooms and some trout fishing. We had rain, clouds, wind…but eventually things dried up and we had a good time. We didn’t find mushrooms this year and we usually find we’re a little too late in our quest and the time has passed. But the fellowship shared was irreplaceable.
Rob D.

Action Point
One thing I realized this year at camp was…. we all have problems and trials in this world. I got’em, you got’em, everyone got’em! They are real in all our lives. One of my brothers on this trip was really struggling. I sat and listened to him for a long time and just when he started talking, I felt a nudge from the Holy Spirit. The Spirit said, “just listen, Rob.” So, I heard and obeyed as my friend laid out his plight. When he was done, we prayed together, laughed together, and felt better. You see this group of men is one of the small groups of guys I can truly be honest and transparent with in all I say and do. No judgement, just authentic brotherhood. I think anytime you are a part of something that is bigger than yourself, it speaks volumes over your life and forms an unbreakable bond. Jesus does the same thing when you choose to give your life over to Him. If you do, you will never regret it and share that brotherhood with other believers. Answer the knock today!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Aug 24, 2024 9:33 am

Bible Study Verse
“Simeon was there. He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying,
'Sovereign Lord, now let your servant die in peace, as you have promised.
I have seen your salvation which you have prepared for all people…'”
- Lk 2:29-31, NLT

“God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another.” – 1 Pet 4:10, NLT

Thoughts
In 1973, I swam the 400-yard Individual Medley at the NAIA Swim Championships in Marshall Minnesota. In this grueling event, athletes swim 100-yards butterfly + 100-yards backstroke + 100-yards breaststroke + 100-yards freestyle. Something special happened that day! Two laps into the 16-lap race, I held a two-body-length lead over competitors. Besides this lead, my butterfly split-time was two seconds faster than any prior solo butterfly time! Relaxed, focused, and pulsing with renewed energy, I was in “the zone”. Nunc Dimittis! - Bruce M

Action Point
Simeon, as he held Jesus in his arms and proclaimed him God’s Messiah, also found himself in “the zone”. Simeon’s song, “Now let your servant die in peace”, was translated as “Nunc Dimittis” in the Latin Vulgate. Today, we might say, “Lord, it doesn’t get any better than this!”

John Coltrane, celebrated saxophonist for Dizzy Gillespie and Miles Davis, exclaimed “Nunc Dimittis” following his “zoned” rendition of “A Love Supreme” (1957). Tim Keller explains,
“Coltrane claimed to have had an experience of God’s love that liberated him from the work for the sake of the work itself. He had been given God’s power and had felt God’s pleasure. Coltrane had stopped making music for his own sake. He did it for the music’s sake, the listener’s sake, and God’s sake.” (Every Good Endeavor, p240, emphasis added)

Simeon, a collegiate swimmer, and a saxophone virtuoso testify to what happens when God’s gifts are magnified in “the zone”. Jaws drop when the Gift Giver supernaturally inspires those gifted.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”