Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue May 15, 2018 10:16 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Corinthians 1:31
Therefore, as it is written: "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord." (NIV)

Thoughts
I have a co-worker who loves to hunt. He has killed a number of deer and elk, including some respectable bulls. When he drew a muzzleloader elk tag last year, he said, "I'll drop the first bull I see, even if it's a spike."

I was a little surprised and asked him why he wouldn't wait for a trophy?

He just said, "I've hunted for years. I know I can kill one. I just want a young bull that'll taste good." No bravado, nothing about his innate abilities as an elk hunter.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
My friend is clearly passionate about hunting and successful in his quest for animals; but he does not bother to brag about his prowess, only about the thrill of hunting. The Apostle Paul said, "Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things-and the things that are not -to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before Him,"
I Corinthians 1:26-29 (NIV).

Why do we hunt? When you first started hunting, was it about killing a trophy-class animal, or was it about the thrill of the hunt--whether it was a rabbit, squirrel, or your first deer?

For me it was about the hunt. Don't get me wrong. I understand many of us have different goals when we hunt; but there is much to learn from my friend's humility in simply being satisfied with a well-placed shot after a well-executed stalk, regardless of how many points are on the rack (if any). It teaches me not to focus on what other hunters think of me and my success as a hunter, but what God thinks of me as a disciple. Remember, "You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings," I Corinthians 7:23 (NIV).

In order to please God, we must live as ones set apart from the world, even when we hunt.
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed May 16, 2018 3:45 pm

“Trust me in your times of trouble, and I will rescue you, and you will give me glory” (Psalm 50:15 NLT).

God wants you to ask him for help when you are in trouble. He says, “Call on me in times of trouble. I will rescue you, and you will honor me” (Psalm 50:15 GW).

I call this a “microwave” prayer because it is quick and to the point: Help! SOS! Mayday! For instance, when temptation strikes and you don’t have time for a long conversation with God, simply cry out! David, Daniel, Peter, Paul, and countless others have prayed this kind of instant prayer for help in trouble.

The Bible guarantees that our cry for help will be heard because Jesus is sympathetic to our struggle. He faced the same kinds of problems we do. He “understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same temptations we do, yet he did not sin” (Hebrews 4:15 NLT).

If God is waiting to help us, why don’t we turn to him more often? Honestly, sometimes we don’t want to be helped! At that moment we think we know what’s best for us — that we’re more qualified than God is. At other times we’re embarrassed to ask God for help. But the Bible says, “Let us have confidence, then, and approach God’s throne, where there is grace. There we will receive mercy and find grace to help us just when we need it” (Hebrews 4:16 GNT).

God’s love is everlasting, and his patience endures forever. Ask him for help and then watch how he provides.

Talk It Over

If God is waiting to help us, why don’t we turn to him more often?
How have “microwave” prayers carried you through difficult temptations?
Do you find it easy or difficult to believe that Jesus understands your weaknesses and temptations? Why?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 pm

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you” (1 Peter 5:7 NLT).

It takes more than willpower to stop worrying. You already know that, because you’ve already tried it. You’ve thought, “I shouldn’t worry about this,” yet you just keep on worrying about it.

It’s going to take more than your willpower to stop worrying. It takes four things:

1. You have to get to know God.

Jesus says in Matthew 6:32, “People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things” (The Message). If you don’t have a relationship with God, you have every reason to worry. You’ve got to get to know God! As a believer, you have a heavenly Father who has promised to take care of you. You are God’s child, and children get special privileges. When you worry, God says, “You’re my child. Why are you acting like an orphan?”

2. You have to put God first in every area of your life.

Matthew 6:31-33 says, “Don’t worry at all about having enough food and clothing. . . . Your heavenly Father already knows perfectly well that you need them, and he will give them to you if you give him first place in your life and live as he wants you to” (TLB). Anytime you take God out of the center of your life and put anything else there — no matter how good it is — you’re going to worry.

3. You have to live one day at a time.

The Bible says, “So don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will have its own worries. Each day has enough trouble of its own” (Matthew 6:34 NCV). If you’re worrying about tomorrow, you can’t enjoy today. You miss today’s blessings. It’s okay to plan for tomorrow, but you have to live for today. Also, when you’re always worried about tomorrow, the future gets overwhelming. But God will give you the grace and strength you need when you get there. Right now, you only need enough power for today.

4. You have to trust God to care.

“Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you” (1 Peter 5:7 NLT). How do you do that? One way is to memorize God’s promises in the Bible. They’re like an insurance policy for believers. When you know something’s covered, you don’t worry about it anymore. Another way is to pray. If you prayed as much as you worried, you’d have a lot less to worry about.

What’s the result of taking these four steps? Incredible peace of mind: “You will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand” (Philippians 4:7 TLB).

Pray this prayer today: “Dear Father, I admit that I often forget that you are with me. I often forget what you’re like. Would you please forgive me for doing that? I need to get to know you better. I need to get to know your Word and your promises better. Help me to put you first in every area of my life. Help me to live one day at a time. Help me to not worry about tomorrow but instead focus on what you’re doing in my life right now. I want to trust in your promise to take care of every one of my needs — financial, relational, physical, social, spiritual, and emotional. Help me to trust you more and worry less. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.”

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 25:34-35
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,." (NIV)

Thoughts
My father was a carpenter. He never owned his own business; but always worked for someone else and earned an honest wage. Money was sometimes hard to come by. We often had hard times, and scraped to get by. One year, when I was about five or six, the tough times hit our home right around Christmas. There were few presents under the tree. Though our cabinets were stocked with canned fruit and vegetables from our ample garden, there was little meat.

Daddy wasn't around much. He was spending lots of time on the road looking for odd jobs, trying to scrape up a little extra money for Christmas. That year, a couple of days before Christmas, we had some unexpected visitors.

It was early evening, just after dark, on a Saturday; and I remember that Daddy still wasn't home yet from a full day of looking for work. I heard the rumble of an engine in our driveway, and looked out into the darkness under our carport to see two men carrying something and place it on our steps. One of them gently tapped on our door; but before we could answer, they hopped back in their truck and left.

I opened the door and there on our steps lay six beautiful, fat mallard ducks, courtesy of some local duck hunters. I will never forget how Mama cried. Nor will forget that hot, tasty pan of duck and dressing we feasted upon that Christmas day.
(Geoff B)

Action Point
Most of us hunt and fish for sport and fun; but we must never forget that there are still hungry people in our communities. Talk to your church about starting a ministry for feeding the hungry in your hometown; and get your sportsmen involved. God can use our sport and passion as a way to bless those in need.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu May 17, 2018 8:22 am

“I’m a mess. I’m nothing and have nothing; make something of me. You [God] can do it; you’ve got what it takes” (Psalm 40:17 The Message).

A lot of people are afraid to trust Jesus with their lives because they think that means he will narrow it. He’ll cramp their style and make their life smaller with a lot of rules and restrictions.

When Christ comes into your life, the exact opposite happens. Instead of making your life more religious, he makes it more alive. He makes you more fully human and able to experience the life you were meant to live. He expands your horizons and gives you the ability to see things you’ve never seen before. You may be living a good life now, but God wants to offer you a better life.

The Bible says, “He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me” (Psalm 18:19 NIV). God expands the possibilities for your life because he delights in you. He doesn’t just love you; he finds joy in you!

The best way I can describe it is thinking back to when my children were young. They didn’t have to do anything special for me to love them. I loved them and found joy in everything they did because they were my children and I was their father.

God is your heavenly Father; he made you, he loves you, and he finds joy in you. He wants to rescue you and give you the better, fuller life that you were destined to have.

Talk It Over

What fears did you have to confront before choosing to follow Jesus?
How has your life become “more alive” as you’ve drawn closer to Jesus?
How is God making something of your life right now?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am

“I’m in deep trouble. Rush to my aid, for only you [God] can help and save me” (Psalm 70:5 TLB).

Have you ever gotten yourself into such a mess that you knew there was no way you could get out of it on your own? Whether it was getting your car stuck or getting so lost you didn’t know where you were, you needed a rescuer.

But how easy was it for you to ask for help?

The Bible is full of situations where people needed to be rescued — Adam and Eve, Joseph, Moses, Jonah, the people of Israel. They all needed a rescuer, a savior. But not all of them found it so easy to ask for help. Why? Pride.

It’s hard to admit we need someone else’s help. People might think we’re weak or foolish or somehow less perfect than the image we like to project. But the Bible says God is ready to “rescue those who are humble” (Psalm 18:27 NLT).

Jesus is the ultimate rescuer. He came to Earth to save all humanity through his death and Resurrection. “Jesus . . . gave himself to rescue all of us” (1 Timothy 2:5 CEV).

But that means you have to admit that you need rescuing. It takes honesty and humility to admit our need and say like David, “I am in deep trouble. Rush to my aid, for only you [God] can help and save me” (Psalm 70:5 TLB).

That’s all you have to do. Just accept his grace, his mercy, and his love. But make sure you swallow your pride first.

Talk It Over

How easily do you ask others for help?
When has God “rushed to your aid” during a crisis in life?
What person is your role model for living a life of honesty and humility? Why?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:19 am

Bible Study Verses
I Corinthians 16:13-14
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love. (NIV)

Thoughts
There may come a time on a hunt where you have to follow the commands of this verse. When? When you observe someone violating a game law, such as:
Shooting more than his limit of birds.
Shooting two deer and trying to sneak them out.
Sneaking an animal home without tagging it so he can hunt and kill another one.

These are all violations of game laws. What should you do?

Get whatever pertinent information is available and call the game department of the state where you're hunting to report the violation.

Similarly, as Christians, we must be vigilant, watching for Satan's attacks against us. We must be on our guard, stand firm in our faith, and be strong - men of courage! It's what God expects of us, and what He's equipped us to be. When the attacks come, report them to God, He'll take care of the violator!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The Bible tells us to stand or to stand and be strong for our God. Trust Him. He'll provide all that you need to stand firm in your faith. Read His Word. Pray at all times. Put on His armor. Stand! (Ephesians 6)

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 am

Bible Study Verses
Psalms 17:4-5
Though people tried to bribe me, I have kept myself from the ways of the violent through what your lips have commanded. My steps have held to your paths; my feet have not stumbled.(NIV)

Thoughts
Have you ever seen a mountain goat jump from rock to rock or climb straight up the side of a mountain? They do it with very little effort. If we tried that same climb, we would need ropes, bolts, anchors, and safety equipment.

God has given mountain goats their own specialized equipment. Their hooves have a hard outer shell with a rubbery concave foot pad that acts like a suction cup when they put weight on it. Not even the most expensive pair of vibram-soled hunting boots can compare to the foot of a mountain goat.
(Ron T)

Action Point
When out hunting or hiking in the woods, it's possible to come across many trails and paths. Some paths will get you home and some won't. It's important to know what's what out there.

King David warned us about the path of the wicked, Proverbs 4:14. God has a better path and He will teach us His ways, Micah 4:2. If we follow God's path, we can be like the mountain goat and have no fear of slipping or falling.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:21 am

Bible Study Verse
John 15:4
Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Many years have passed, but I will always remember this fishing trip.

I had been asked by a family friend to take her nephew from out-of-state trout fishing. So we four-wheeled and hiked into a remote back-country stream that I had been wanting to fish. It was August, monsoon season in Arizona; and about half way through the day, the sky opened up and poured rain. Earlier, I had spotted an old cabin up stream, so we made our way there and weathered the storm under the small front porch roof. We had both caught several nice fish and were sharing our stories when I noticed a large blackberry patch at the edge of the stream. After the storm subsided, we found a couple of old three-pound coffee cans and picked them full of luscious wild blackberries to top off our trout dinner that night. As I remember those berries, I don't believe I've seen any that large since then.
(Byron S)

Action Point
Jesus' words in John 15:4 fit the example of the berry patch that I found. That patch of berries grew right along side a mountain stream with the roots going deep into the earth and out into the running water. Those berries were constantly fed with nutrients from the life-giving water. No wonder they were so large and luscious.

We can be like that if we do as Jesus says: plant ourselves in His Word and take Him, the Living Water, into our lives. If we do so, He promises that we will grow in faith and bear much fruit. Knowing and understanding His Word not only guides our daily lives, but also provides us with the right thoughts and words when we need them. For example: It may not be easy for me to get through a day without an unhealthy thought crossing my mind, or perhaps having a plan go wrong. When I try to handle these on my own, my mind might linger too long on the thought, or I don't handle the situation as I should. But I have found that when I stop and take time to ask Him for help, He is always true to His Word--the thoughts are blocked, or somehow, the plan begins to come together in His way. So, abide in Him and let Him abide in you; and surely, whatever you ask of Him will be done for you. His Word is His bond.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:23 am

Bible Study Verse
For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, and floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, and My blessing on your offspring. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Jessie was what you might consider a normal teenage boy. By all appearances, he was just like any other fifteen year old. If you assumed that, you would be wrong.

Jessie's parents died tragically in an accident when he was ten years old and he was taken from his home in the big city and placed with his grandfather far back in the Ozark Mountains.

Jessie's grandfather was a wise and Godly old man who loved Jessie with all his heart. He taught Jessie to hunt those majestic hills and to catch fish from the creeks, lakes, and rivers. He taught Jessie to raise a garden and to preserve the vegetables for winter. Jessie was well cared for, and he loved his grandfather, but he was hollow on the inside. He was bitter and alone. He was thirsty and dry on the inside.

One day, Jessie and his grandfather went to one of their favorite places. It was a huge rock that overlooked a beautiful clear lake. Many times before, grandfather had brought him here. Sometimes they would scramble down to the lake below and fish. Sometimes they would bring the old .410 shotgun and shoot squirrels. Sometimes they would just talk.

Today, grandfather reached inside his old coat and pulled out a tattered Bible. There, sitting on that big rock, overlooking that vast lake, Jesus Christ changed Jessie on the inside. He was dry and thirsty and God gave him water - and not just a little - Jesus sent a flood into a dry desert that forever changed the condition of the heart and the eternal destination of the soul.
(Brian H)

Action Point
Life is tough.

The man or woman who tries to shoot the rapids of life alone will quickly find themselves wandering in a spiritual desert, devoid of peace and joy - dying of spiritual thirst.

Our God has a habit - a character trait, really - of giving more than we ever ask for and more than we can ever dream of. When we need a drink of water, God doesn't just hand us a cup that refreshes only our dry and parched throat, but rather, He pours water on us that quenches our thirst and washes the dust off of us and thoroughly refreshes us. He goes above and beyond what we ask and gives us instead what we really need. He does this in two ways:

For the non-Christian: This is where we all are or were at some point. Jesus loved us so much that he didn't just come up with a plan to save us, but rather, he put his plan in action to become the substitutionary sacrifice for our sins. He didn't send someone to save us, he came and did it himself as only he was qualified to do. Accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior brings a flood of spiritual water to a barren desert and causes that desert to bloom with new life.
For the Christian: Nobody ever said that life would be smooth sailing once you become a Christian. That's simply not the truth. Life is still tough. But when we reach the end of our strength and we fall, hopelessly weary and totally spent, into His arms, he doesn't just give us a drink to refresh us, he pours water on us and lavishes His love upon us.
How great is our God to do more than just give us a little sip of His goodness but to pour out His love, compassion, strength, and renewal upon us!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:25 am

Bible Study Verse
John 8:32
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (NIV)

Thoughts
The south Alabama spring morning exploded with the gobbles of thirteen turkeys. With this many birds hitting it this hard, I could already smell a bird in the oven. I eased down into a bottom where an old boss bird was shaking the woods with his gobbles. This wasn't going to be hunting; it was going to be self-defense.

After getting set up, I sent out a smooth set of yelps; and he just about strangled gobbling back at me. Within five minutes, I could see glimpses of him working through the bottom about eighty yards out. Back and forth he would strut and gobble, but he would not come any closer. The morning passed on; and finally, after an hour-and a-half, he walked away. I was sick.

Why, wouldn't he come? I walked to the area where he had been and found my answer. There was an old barbed wire fence stretched across the bottom, and he wouldn't cross it. He was a hung-up bird.

Life has a way of being full of hung-up birds. We get hung up on all kinds of junk that keeps us from the awesome life that the Lord has for us. Today, you may be hung up by not being the person you are called to be. Let the Lord cut the old barbed wire out of your life and set you free.
(JoeyH)

Action Point
The Bible teaches us that, "We shall know the truth and it will set us free." If you are hung up today with a problem that just won't go away, or by the hope of an opportunity that just won't come, then apply the truth principle to it: Discover God's truth as it relates to what you are dealing; then, apply that truth and move forward into God's blessing of freedom.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 am

Bible Study Verses
Proverbs 4:3-9, 18-19
When I was a boy at my father's knee,
the pride and joy of my mother,
He would sit me down and drill me:
"Take this to heart. Do what I tell you-live!
Sell everything and buy Wisdom! Forage for Understanding!
Don't forget one word! Don't deviate an inch!
Never walk away from Wisdom-she guards your life;
love her-she keeps her eye on you.
Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom!
Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding!
Throw your arms around her-believe me, you won't regret it;
never let her go-she'll make your life glorious.
She'll garland your life with grace,
she'll festoon your days with beauty."
The ways of right-living people glow with light;
the longer they live, the brighter they shine.
But the road of wrongdoing gets darker and darker-
travelers can't see a thing; they fall flat on their faces. (Message)

Thoughts
If you are a hunter, you must love tracking. It's one of the tools of our trade as a guide. We follow tracks and sign to find game and follow blood trails to find down game. We diligently look for clues to increase our odds of success. When there's no snow, we've gotten down on our hands and knees to find a speck of blood or decipher right direction.

God has left us many sign posts along the way of life, many warning signals. His Holy Spirit within us even prompts, convicts, encourages and guides. We have more experienced mentors all around us to help us.
(Wes W)

Action Point
I was on a gravel road near Laramie Peak, Wyoming, with Rex Peterson, a world-class lion and bear guide from LaSal, Utah. We were traveling in a pickup at approximately 30 MPH. Conditions were dry and sunny.

Rex said, "Stop!" Did you see that?"

"See what?" I thought. "Antelope? Elk? A hundred yards away, or a mile away?"

"Back up," he said. "Now do you see that?"

"Nope! Not a thing."

We got out of the truck. He sat on his haunches near the edge of the road. When I looked just right, it appeared that a barefoot man had crossed the road diagonally. It was a bear track.

I asked, "How did you see that at 30 MPH?"

He said, "It looked like a good crossing spot from one draw to another."
My observations:
He had been alert and looking.
He knew exactly what he was looking for.
He had seen that sign before.

I was definitely impressed; and he had my undivided attention. He has been a wonderful mentor - both as a hunting friend and a brother in Christ. You also should try to find a mature Christian man to grow in Christ and in the knowledge of God's creation.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun May 20, 2018 2:05 pm

“Anyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13 TLB).

Are you at a place in your life where you need to be rescued? Are you ready to call out for help? It doesn’t take a special phone or a bat-signal. All you have to do is ask and Jesus will rescue you. You can ask him to rescue you in any area of your life: a relationship, a financial situation, a health issue, anything. But you have to ask.

In Psalm 91:15, God says, “When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them” (NLT). That’s not just talk, because God doesn’t lie. It would be contrary to his character because he is total truth.

Notice that God says you have to do your part and then he’ll do his part. You call, he answers. That’s it. Just call on the name of the Lord. And the name of the Lord is Jesus.

It’s vital to understand that in any rescue operation, the rescuer gets to determine the means and method of the rescue. You don’t get to determine how you are saved. It’s not up to you; it’s up to your Savior. And Jesus says, “I am the way . . . No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6 NIV).

Jesus doesn’t say he’s a good way or a nice way or even the best way. He says, “I’m it.” If there were a plan B, God wouldn’t have sent Jesus — his plan A — to Earth to die for you. So if you’re going to be saved and have all your sins forgiven, there’s only one way it will happen, and there’s only one person you can call on: Jesus.

Talk It Over

How do you draw strength from the “total truth” nature of God’s character?
Why is it important that God says we have to do our part and call on the name of the Lord?
What’s the most surprising element to your story of how Jesus rescued you?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun May 20, 2018 2:07 pm

“Jesus Christ rescued us . . . by offering himself as a sacrifice for our sins. God’s plan is that we all experience that rescue” (Galatians 1:4 The Message).

David was one of Israel’s greatest kings – powerful, smart, wealthy. He could have anything he wanted, but he knew he was unable to truly save himself. Only one person could rescue him: “I stand silently before the Lord, waiting for you to rescue me. For salvation comes from him alone” (Psalm 62:1 TLB).

It is impossible to work our way, buy our way, or earn our way into heaven. When it comes to salvation, we are unable to save ourselves. The government can’t save us. Our popularity can’t save us. Our level of success can’t save us. “There’s no such thing as self-rescue, pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. The cost of rescue is beyond our means” (Psalm 49:7-8 The Message).

If you didn’t need a savior, God wouldn’t have sent one. But he knew that your spiritual condition was much worse than your physical condition could ever be. That’s why he sent Jesus to rescue you.

There is no way you can get into a perfect heaven on your own. There is no way you can pay for your salvation. The cost is beyond your means. So Jesus paid for it by coming and dying for you on the cross. He made that ultimate payment with his life. God simply invites you to accept the free gift of salvation that Jesus makes available.

Talk It Over

What are some ways we attempt to rescue ourselves?
Why do many people find it difficult to accept the idea that we can’t work, buy, or earn our way into heaven?
How would you describe Jesus’ “rescue efforts” in your own life?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun May 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. (NKJV)

Thoughts
I have to say thank you to my Dad who instilled in me the joy of hunting. He was never a big game hunter; as a matter of fact, he liked fishing more than hunting. Yet, I remember toting my Daisy Red Rider BB Gun through the fields as we hunted rabbits, quail, and grouse. I was the hardest working dog He owned - excited to jump into the thicket and try to kick up a rabbit. I would go as long as my legs would allow me. Just a boy - those moments of target shooting and shooting clay pigeons were exciting. I loved it!!!

When I was 12, I received my first single-shot 20 gauge shotgun. That season, I was using a real gun; yet the safety lessons my Dad taught me were already in place. He taught me the right way to carry a gun, to cross a fence, and the right way to hunt in a group.

He also impacted my life in other ways as I watched and learned how he acted and reacted. I looked to him for a lot of things that I wasn't sure about. He was building my character, and was my example of what a man should be. I sometimes wondered if he understood how greatly he affected my life.
(Dennis W)

Action Point
Now that I am a father, I believe my Dad understood fully what kind of man he was influencing me to be. We should take the time to be with our boys as much as possible. They not only need to learn about hunting and fishing, but also about becoming a man. We must live out what we want our boys to know. Take time to be a Dad. Our boys need us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”