competition hunts

This forum has been established for the purpose of posting the names of service men and service women who are on active duty during our nation's war on terrorism.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Art Gillum
Silver Member
PKC Name: Art Gillum Jr
City, State: Jamestown, OH
PKC Member Since: 26 Jul 1997
Annual Membership Expires: 08 Sep 2016
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $5,881

competition hunts

Postby Art Gillum » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:26 pm

do you christians think hunting pkc hunts is a sin or not? i am a christian and i am curious of everyones opinion

Art Gillum
Silver Member

Postby Art Gillum » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:09 pm

no opinions?

Art Gillum
Silver Member

Postby Art Gillum » Mon May 14, 2007 10:39 pm

travis, i think of it the same way, but some people think it is gambling, but i think we work hard for the money, if we get any!!

Robert D Vanderburg
Silver Member
PKC Name: Robert D. Vanderburg
City, State: Maysville, GA
PKC Member Since: 31 Jul 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $20,196

Postby Robert D Vanderburg » Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 pm

Hunting for money is the prize.No different than hunting for a tropy.Besides,if Im lucky I'll break even on the money.The only thing that I dont do is the calcuttas.Those I feel are on the verge of gambling.Thats just my feelings.
Bobby Vanderburg PKC #23027
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul ?
Mark 8:36 NKJV

Brad Tipper
Starting Member
PKC Name: Brad Tipper
City, State: Lexington, AL
PKC Member Since: 24 Jul 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Dec 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $9,137

Postby Brad Tipper » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:49 pm

first off I know im not living like I should. but yes I do fear god and believe 100 percent in him and thats the only way to get to heaven is accept our lord into our hearts. but lets say I take a preacher to a poker game put up 50. to win 200. is this right? lets say / I take him to a dog track put up 3. to win 27 is this right? take him to fishing tourney pay 35 to win 300, or I take him to hunt sat night he puts up 60. to win say 275 at 500 added I wondered the same thing. to me if you put money up to win money its a bet not knocking anyone either way, cause you can ask most who know me, Ill bet football play poker not saying its right just wondering what the difference is?

Josh Vaughn

Postby Josh Vaughn » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:04 pm

I think there is a fine line between the 2. I have often wondered too if it is gambling. I have learned in life that if you have to question if something is a sin, it usually is. I have always compared it to our car business. We put up money on a car hoping to make a profit. Sometime we lose on the car. Theres not a lot of difference in the 2. I too see travis' point on the work being involved.

James Moon Jr.

Postby James Moon Jr. » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:49 am

I don't feel competition hunting is a sin. You spend time getting your dog ready and put them out there for the reward which is winning the event. It doesn't matter to me if the reward is a trophy (which costs money) or cash. You are paying to compete for a chance for your dog to get recognition and or titles. I don't see that as any different than a church paying to enter a softball league or basketball league.

On the other hand I do not and will not participate in the calcutta. That is no different to me than going to the dog track. This goes straight to betting your dog is going to win the hunt. I just don't feel this part is right for me.

Heath Maycumber

h

Postby Heath Maycumber » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:45 pm

ok let me ask you this. the way i look at it is some people hunt for a living like i am now in the winter when i'm layed off. i say dogs are like a buisness... you put money into a buisness to make money on your buisness later on down the road. you put money into your dog to get money won on it or to get rec. for titles breeding purposes or just for the love of the sport. therefore i think its ok. just my opinion

the only perfect person on this earth they hung on a cross

Travis Lawson
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Travis Lawson
City, State: Dixon, MO
PKC Member Since: 19 May 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Apr 2017
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $2,430

Postby Travis Lawson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:57 pm

i know everyone looks at this dif but i look at it like this........you go out with your wife and sped $50 eating and doing things she likes to do you like to go coon hunting and pay your entry fee to do something you like to do your not losing no more money that what the entry is your just paying to play its somthing you like to do......so is it a sin to buy stock your gambling your money you might lose it all but you might double it...you pay to get into a ballgame ....your not betting your do is going to win your just paying to hunt......
Home of :
RIP grnite ch Pkc ch Lawson's Ratty Reba
The last Dance
Zeb 3 done it again (Zeb)

Jesus Christ died for YOU live for HIM!!!

Daryl Bales
Starting Member
PKC Name: Daryl Bales
City, State: Pryor, OK
PKC Member Since: 05 Nov 2005
Annual Membership Expires: 28 Oct 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $531

Postby Daryl Bales » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:15 pm

I agree with Travis, everyone pays for their entertainment , golfing,ball games,concerts, or whatever they are interested in.
If the competition side of hunting is what I enjoy, and I am not taking away from GOD or my family, then I don't see A problem.
The whole thing of what I can do and can't do needs to be focused on what controls me. GOD must be the center of our lives or eveything is out of order anyway.
Just my view.

GOD BE GLORIFIED
Daryl Bales

Darrell Eads
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Darrell Eads
City, State: Blanchester, OH
PKC Member Since: 28 Feb 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 23 Jan 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $9,020

Postby Darrell Eads » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Hey Art well thats a good ?? yes it is a sin according to alot of people out side our sport ,but not for me, all the wickidness that goes with it is more of a sin [ cheating ] foul mouth poeple , discepition, but thats easy to over look for me i enjoy a good working dog, GREED is a sin ! enjoying a good working dog is not , christians like money to . and i never have felt like i was gambling on my dog
Black & Tans by Eads
Please spay and neuter your Walker dogs to save someone from a lot of pain some day

Bruce Nieland
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Bruce Nieland
City, State: Newell, IA
PKC Member Since: 08 Mar 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 22 Oct 2016
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $2,347

sin

Postby Bruce Nieland » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I do not believe comp hunting is a sin, i also believe if used it the right manner can be a tool to serve the lord. I ENJOY pleasure hunting in gods creation everynight by myself, can read scripture, write sermons, or just sit and bask in the glory of our creator on a nice night, then can go and be entertained at a hunt on the weekends. Keeps me out of the bar and in good fellowship with some friends and my father. I personally do not think its a sin. I enjoy them especially in the spring when i have more time to attend them.

LaVaugn Tisdale

Postby LaVaugn Tisdale » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:48 pm

The Bible tells us that the love of money is the root of all evil. I don't think competion hunting is a sin if you don't stoop to the level fo many hunters with cheating, lying about slick trees etc. If you don't take money away from your family to support your pleasure I don't see anything wrong with it. If it is a personal conviction then to you it may be sin. God speaks to everyone in different ways. God bless you all. Home of: GR GRNITECH PKC CH ACHA CH CAJUN PIPE DREAM

Mike Mize

Postby Mike Mize » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:36 pm

I have a friend who quit hunting. He was to tired to go to church one Wednesday night. His friend came by and saw his truck at home Stoped and said are you ok. He said just tired. His buddy said well since your not going to church you want to go hunting. He said sure god spoke to him and said you were to tired for me but not to tired to hunt. The man quit hunting not because it is a sin But because he felt it might come between him and god.

If god told me not to comp hunt it might be because he knows that it could lead to sin

Personal conviction is just that personal between you and god not a sin for everyone

You want to know if comp hunting is a sin ask god the answer will be different for each person

Mike Mize

Postby Mike Mize » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:37 pm

I have a friend who quit hunting. He was to tired to go to church one Wednesday night. His friend came by and saw his truck at home Stoped and said are you ok. He said just tired. His buddy said well since your not going to church you want to go hunting. He said sure god spoke to him and said you were to tired for me but not to tired to hunt. The man quit hunting not because it is a sin But because he felt it might come between him and god.

If god told me not to comp hunt it might be because he knows that it could lead to sin

Personal conviction is just that personal between you and god not a sin for everyone

You want to know if comp hunting is a sin ask god the answer will be different for each person

Return to “In Service To Our Country”