Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:41 pm

Because You Follow
What blessings await you when people hate you and exclude you and mock you and curse you as evil because you follow the Son of Man. (NLT) ( Luke 6:22 )

It's true, being a follower of Christ is not always a popular decision, and it may bring troubles. Like rooting for the losing football team, you may be mocked, excluded, and cursed. But when the fourth quarter comes and suddenly the losing football team has the upper hand, isn't that a glorious win? Those loyal to the team are rewarded in victory. Take heart in knowing that God blesses those who endure trials for being a Christian.

Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... PmHZOr86m7
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:48 pm

“Do not let any part of your body become a tool of wickedness, to be used for sinning. Instead, give yourself completely to God . . . as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God” (Romans 6:13 NLT).

Daniel had a choice. Eat the king’s food, or control his ego and his appetite.

Daniel chose the latter.

Many teenagers wouldn’t have made that choice. Think about it. You’re 15 years old, and you’ve been taken by force from your home country. You’re never going to see your parents again. You’re in a foreign country with no parental supervision. Then the most powerful man in that country offers you all kinds of perks and says, “You’re going to be on my personal staff. I’m going to give you power, prestige, and pleasure. You’ll get the best of everything.”

Could you turn that down?

Just consider what we see sometimes in sports. A kid can shoot a basketball, throw a football, or swing a bat. They’re drafted into the professional leagues and receive tons of money. They’re given all kinds of perks, but they can’t handle that kind of success. Good kids can be ruined by too much success, too early.

That could have easily been Daniel’s story, but it wasn’t. He was incredibly disciplined for a 15-year-old kid isolated from his parents. Daniel reflected what Paul wrote hundreds of years later, when he said in Romans 6:13: “Do not let any part of your body become a tool of wickedness, to be used for sinning. Instead, give yourself completely to God . . . as a tool to do what is right for the glory of God” (NLT).

For Daniel, a lack of discipline would mean forfeiting God’s unique plan for his life. Daniel wouldn’t do that.

So he tells the most powerful man in the world, “Nebuchadnezzar, I’m going to serve you because God put me here. I’m not here without his permission, so I’ll serve you. You are a pagan king. But I’m not going to be indebted to you or conformed by you. You can give me all these kind of perks, but I’m never going to forget that I’m not you. I’m not one of you. I’m Jewish. I’m not Babylonian.”

That’s maturity — and discipline, particularly for a 15-year-old. When we’re disciplined and obedient and following God’s will, we will be successful in God’s eyes.

Talk It Over

How have you seen someone’s lack of discipline hurt other people?
Where in your life do you struggle most with discipline? Why?
What are some ways you can grow in your discipline?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:11 pm

"Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God” (Romans 12:2a GNT).

You have two choices in life. You’ll either be conformed or transformed.

There’s no middle ground.

Just ask Daniel.

Daniel faced a choice. Either he could take the king’s food and be conformed to the ways of the Babylonian Empire, or he could refuse to defile his body and stay true to his values.

Daniel stayed strong. He never forgot who he was. He said, “You can change my address. You can change my clothing. You can change my name. But you’re not going to change my heart. I won’t be conformed to the ways of this society.”

Too many of us choose differently than Daniel did. Instead of sticking to our values, we live like everyone else. We conform.

But the Bible reminds us, “Do not conform yourselves to the standards of this world, but let God transform you inwardly by a complete change of your mind. Then you will be able to know the will of God” (Romans 12:2a GNT).

I talk to people all the time who can’t figure out what God wants them to do with their lives because they’re conformed to the world. They’re more interested in being like everyone else than in being the unique person that God made them to be. As long as you’re worried about conforming, you won’t worry about God transforming you. And in that case, you won’t know the will of God.

But if you make Daniel’s choice and choose God’s best for your life, he’ll transform you. Then you’ll know the will of God.

Talk It Over:

Where in your life are you most likely to conform to the world around you, and why?
What practices in your life help you work with God to transform your mind so you don’t conform to the world?
How are you more clearly understanding God’s will for your life as you let him transform your mind?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:12 pm

"Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart” (Proverbs 17:3 NLT).

You could watch a million hours of television and movies without finding a story as thrilling as the story the Bible tells about Daniel. Think Raiders of the Lost Ark and Mission Impossible all rolled into one.

The Bible follows Daniel’s life from the age of 15 until he’s 85. And every step of his story is breathtaking. Over the next few weeks, we’ll study Daniel’s life and explore key truths that we can apply to our lives today.

When Daniel was still a teenager, the Babylonians put down a rebellion in Judah and took some of the Israelites into captivity. Because Daniel was healthy, knowledgeable, and perceptive, he was taken as a prisoner to be trained for service in the king’s court (Daniel 1:1-7).

And then God tested him because God tests us with stress before God trusting us with success. God had big plans for Daniel. There are only two men in all of history that God told what the end of the world would be like: Daniel and the apostle John. God gave Daniel the job to communicate that message first to Israel and then to the whole world through the Bible. But before God could trust Daniel with this message, God gave him stress. God gave Daniel a test.

The Bible says in Proverbs 17:3, “Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but the Lord tests the heart” (NLT).

If God’s going to use you, he’s going to test you first. He wants to be sure you’re ready to handle the power, the blessing, the influence, or whatever else he wants to give you.

The Babylonian king, Nebuchadnezzar, put Daniel and other young men into a three-year indoctrination program. He wanted to wipe out their memories of Israel and to secularize them. They were taught a new language, a new culture, a new religion, and new habits. The Babylonians were trying to reprogram Daniel and these other young men, and prepare them to serve in the royal court.

But the king faced unexpected opposition when he tried to change Daniel’s diet, which he followed in obedience to God’s commands.
The Bible says, “Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way” (Daniel 1:8 NIV).

In essence, the king told Daniel to forget God and the spiritual values he’d followed his whole life. But Daniel wouldn’t do that, and so he passed the test.

God will give you a similar test. It won’t look exactly the same. But God will test your character. God wants to know if he can trust you with success. And the good news: God is right there with you helping you to succeed.

Talk It Over:

When have you faced a test similar to the one God gave Daniel?
Why do you think God tests us with stress before trusting us with success?
Why was it so important for Daniel to remain obedient to God while in Babylon?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:14 pm

Bible Study Verse
Romans 6:13
Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to Him as an instrument of righteousness. (NIV)

Thoughts
Tools and gadgets are part of outdoor fun. We all have a bag, a vest, a tackle box, or maybe even a garage full of them! They make outdoor times more productive and enjoyable. Going through catalogs helps get us through times of "cabin fever" between seasons.

We all know that there are specialty tools with a specific purpose and function. If we need a certain job done, we must have that particular tool to do it.

Outdoor shows feature myriad varieties of such tools; and part of the enjoyment in attending these shows is to learn about the new ones, and to purchase what we need.
(Jack M)

Action Point
Our bodies are tools. We choose if they are tools for good or tools for sinning. Certainly these influences - good or bad - may be upon ourselves or others.

God has specific functions for each of us. We are intentionally constructed for His purposes. He invites us to join Him in His work here in this world to accomplish unique things for His glory.

He rewards and disciplines us for what we do, whether we choose to do good or to use our bodies for evil. II Corinthians 5:10 reminds us, "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad," (NIV).

His intent is for us to use our bodies as tools to accomplish good as He defines it. I choose to use my body for good and for His glory.

Which purpose will you choose? Will you choose to use your body as a tool for good or for sinning?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:15 pm

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 29:3-4
The voice of the Lord is over the waters; the God of glory thunders, the Lord thunders over the mighty waters. The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic. (NIV)

Thoughts
A thunderstorm moving in is a mighty sight, but a thunderstorm over the ocean's water is awesome. One time my son, a friend, his son, and I were camped on the beach on Galveston Island. During the early morning hours, a storm rolled in off the Gulf with lots of thunder. The thunderclaps were not only loud, they would echo across the water, prolonging a loud boom. Along with lightning, it was truly a awesome experience of God's majesty
(Tom B)

Action Point
I take God for granted a lot of time in the course of my busy life - He's the "Big Guy" up there when I need something. But, experiencing something like the majesty of the storm triple highlights His majesty and power. As David wrote, "The voice of the Lord is powerful; the voice of the Lord is majestic." However, along with the power of God we find that He is also a soft, loving God who comforts me in the time of trouble. As a loving father lifts his young baby son when he cries, my God lifts me up and comforts me when I am hurting.

I serve a powerful, majestic Creator. I serve a loving, caring Father who wants only the best for me.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 pm

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (NIV)

Thoughts
Years ago, I was venturing out on a fishing trip into Canada onto a lake where some of my family had already fished in previous years. In discussing with them what my options were going to be on this remote fishing trip, my brother-in-law offered me a map of the main lake where I was going to be fishing.

On this map, he had marked out what fish were located where. As I looked at the map, I recognized I was inheriting knowledge from him of years of fishing on this lake. I was going to benefit from years of his trials and errors.

I wasn't going to walk in blind to this lake and have to fend for myself in trying to figure things out. I knew where the small mouth bass were, the pike, and the walleye. It was all laid out for me in the map color coded with notes and lure suggestions to boot. I was set up for success!
(Dave M)

Action Point
God has provided us a map to life through His Word, the Bible. He has given us this map to show us the way to live life in a meaningful way. There is no need for confusion, lack of purpose or direction.

The answers to life's core questions all find answers within the context of God's Word. He has left us a map to help us make it through this life and to the next one. He didn't just leave us to our own powers and volition to figure things out. Because He loves us so much, He left us a map. May we have the strength to follow His directions today!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Bible Study Verses
Joshua 24:14-15
"Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord." (NIV)

Thoughts
Choices . . . We all have them to make, every day. When we're hunting, we have to make them moment-by-moment which path to take, which trail to follow, which mountain to climb, where to camp, still hunt, or spot and stalk, and which animal to kill? Choices are a part of the hunt.

Choices are also part of our spiritual life. Will we follow God, the one true God who has revealed Himself to us in the Bible and in His Son, Jesus or will we allow ourselves to be lured off the trail and follow false gods? Teachings that make us to be our own god, or teachings that worship the creation rather than the Creator are examples of false gods. As you make your choice, research the teachings of Jesus. When you learn more and more about Him, it will be easy to choose the right path!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Make your choice. There's no in-between on this one. Choose the Lord, and serve Him!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 5:15-16
Be very careful, then, how you live -not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. (NIV)

Thoughts
Last Spring, my oldest daughter and I were out turkey hunting for her first time. This hunt was the culmination of months of preparation and lots of target practice.

On the first day, she had a great opportunity to take a huge Tom. The beard was all the way down to the ground! Her heart was pounding as she prepared to take the shot. The turkey was at 18 yards, and a case of "turkey fever" had set in. In the excitement to get off a good shot, she grabbed the gun and looked down at the bead. She pulled the trigger; a couple of feathers flew into the air, and the Tom ran away. The best reason that we can determine for the missed turkey is that my daughter didn't look down the barrel from back to front. She shot looking only at the bead on the tip of the barrel without a rear anchor point.

When people are confronted with making an important decision, you'll hear them say, "How do you really know what God's will is?" Seeking God's will is similar to what happened to my daughter with her turkey - she only used the bead to gauge her shot. We didn't have a back sight on the barrel at the time. If she had used a back sight along with the front, she would have been firmly anchored on her target with a much lower margin of error.

In finding God's will, you must first know God's Word; secondly, trust in the Holy Spirit's leading; and finally, seek counsel from Godly people who truly know how you're wired. We may not always hit the mark in our Christian walk, but using each of these together will decrease the likelihood of making decisions that aren't God-honoring.
(Dave M)

Action Point
We live in a fast-paced world; and God's timing isn't always ours. Take time to utilize the tools God has given us to determine the right course of action - read the Bible, pray, and seek Godly counsel. Don't make your decision without doing all three in conjunction with each other. God will answer. Just make sure you have the time to listen!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:40 pm

People Are Wandering
...So my people are wandering like lost sheep; they are attacked because they have no shepherd. (NLT) ( Zechariah 10:2 )

Do you ever feel as though you are just wandering through life? Without a shepherd in our lives, we leave ourselves vulnerable to attack. Attacks from others and even attacks against ourselves can come our way. Make room in your life for God to provide purpose and direction.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... wASxdgrVjZ

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Bible Study Verse
Romans 8:21
The creation looks forward to the day when it will join God's children in glorious freedom from death and decay. (NLT)

Thoughts
The shotgun barked, and the beautiful ring-neck pheasant tumbled to the ground. I was thankful for the bird, the experience, and for the food that we would enjoy on the table. I am thankful for the dogs that pointed him, the farmers who let me hunt their land, the shotgun, the shells - all that were a gift from my Father in Heaven to make the moment so good. I am thankful to my Creator for it all!

But, I was also very sad. This beautiful creature was dead. It could never fly or walk free again. It was lifeless and broken now. What a tragedy! Fishermen can practice catch and release, which is recommended unless you are taking some for the table. Hunters cannot do so. If I could somehow catch him, and let him go, I would; but sadly, I cannot. Death is a part of life.
(Jack M)

Action Point
Respect all life. Especially value all human life since God uniquely created humans with His own Image.

Respect the life of the game taken in hunting. Outdoorsman are excited and thankful for the fish and game we take. But we should be sad that death is such a necessary part of our experience of life.

Teach others, and especially the young people we influence, to value all life as a gift and a stewardship from God. It is right to be sad that a beautiful creature had to die for us to enjoy the triumph of hunting.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:42 am

“Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong” (1 Corinthians 16:13b NLT).

You see it over and over in Scripture. God uses people who show courage, people who stand up when everyone else sits down.

Just look at Daniel. Daniel is one of only two people in history to whom God revealed how the world ends (the other is the apostle John). God used Daniel like few men in human history.

But before God used Daniel to change the world, Daniel stood up to the most powerful man in the world. When King Nebuchadnezzar told him to eat his Babylonian food, Daniel said no. Think about it. He rejected the king. He said, “Sorry, king — your food isn’t good enough for me. I can’t eat it.” Daniel was respectful but firm in his refusal to compromise.

I’m sure there were many other Jewish young men taken captive who saw no problem with eating the king’s food. I’m sure those people said, “But everybody’s doing it!”

But Daniel said, “I don’t care if the whole world eats the king’s food. It’s not right. I’m not going to do it.”

Daniel stood with courage. He was willing to stand alone. History has shown us that the majority is wrong much of the time. Just because the majority likes a particular value or passes a particular law doesn’t mean that value or that law is right.

Only God decides what’s true, not us. Only God decides what’s right and wrong. It’s not up to a majority vote.

The Bible says, “Stand true to what you believe. Be courageous. Be strong” (1 Corinthians 16:13b NLT).

We need people of courage today to stand up to evil in a culture that’s turning wrong into right and darkness into light. And because that’s what God calls us to do, he will support and reward you when you stand firm for him.

Talk It Over

What encouraging stories have you heard or read that reveal how someone spoke out when something wasn’t popular?
What things make you hesitate from standing up courageously when you see a wrong?
What are some instances from history when the majority has since been shown to be wrong?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:38 pm

Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah, ‘Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.’ So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days” (Daniel 1:11-14 NIV).

As a believer, you will face some situations when you need to convince someone in authority which direction they should go or when you need to make an appeal for someone to change their mind about a decision.

Here are six things to do when you need to make a case before an authority. You can see all six of these actions in the life of Daniel, particularly in the first chapter of the book bearing his name.

Develop a reputation for responsibility (Proverbs 22:29) — People with great responsibility notice people who are responsible. The king’s official had great respect for Daniel. That’s why Daniel was able to make his appeal. Christians should have a similar reputation in the marketplace and in their community.
Be humble and not belligerent (Proverbs 25:6) — You don’t demand your way. Daniel didn’t do that. He asked the king’s official to try something. Threats never work with people in authority. Be humble or you’ll stumble.
Don’t be deceptive or manipulative (2 Corinthians 4:2) — God does not honor dishonesty. God says you’re on your own if you lie.
Appeal to their goals and their interests — Start with what they want, not what you want. Daniel told the official, “We have the same goal. We both want me to eat food that makes me healthy. I just want to do it differently. We don’t have a problem with the goal — just how we complete the goal.” You don’t get your way by pressing your own agenda and going to war over it.
Choose the right place, time, and words (Proverbs 16:21) — What’s the right place? Always privately. You never confront authority in public. It just solidifies their opposition. The right time? Not when the person is frustrated, tired, or hungry. The right words? Be polite and pleasant.
Trust God if they reject your appeal (Romans 8:28) — The Bible clearly tells us that God works for the good of those who love him. Not everything that happens in your life will be good, but you can trust God to work it for good.
Guess what? You’ll never have to confront authority on your own. Jesus says he’ll never leave you. You have the Holy Spirit. You have God’s promises. You have God’s family — the church — to stand with you.

You’re not alone.

The Bible says, “The one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world” (1 John 4:4b GW).

Talk It Over

How have you confronted people in authority in the past? How did that work out? Would you do it any differently now?
Of the six steps listed above, which do you think is the hardest? Which is the easiest? Why?
How have other believers been an important part of your efforts to confront authority?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:39 pm

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 25:28
A man who does not control his temper is like a city whose wall is broken down.(HCSB)

Thoughts
For a couple years in a row, my family and I had searched an area for an old military fort. It was located where there was a good population of quail and javelina. Whenever we were hunting around there, we would always take time to look for it. I think each of us had conjured up in our mind's eye great images of all the treasure the fort might hold.

It was rather surprising when we finally located it; but all that remained were some crumbled old rock walls and much debris. You could see that at one point it had been a large establishment that housed two companies of the 14th Infantry. Now it is nothing but a few ruins.
(Brett M)

Action Point
These walls were constructed in the late 1800's to protect the military from Indians, most presumably Tonto Apaches. However, without constant attention, they now have fallen into decline and are no longer able to fulfill their mission.

King Solomon tells us in the book of Proverbs that a life without self-control will not be able to complete its mission. If we do not establish and maintain spiritual boundaries in our life, we leave ourselves open to attack from the enemy.

Our personal boundaries, walls of self-control, need constant maintenance. Seek that maintenance by reading God's Word, praying, and through other committed Christians.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:42 pm

Now God had given the chief of staff both respect and affection for Daniel” (Daniel 1:9 NLT).

God uses humble people. When Daniel told King Nebuchadnezzar he wouldn’t eat Babylonian food, the young Hebrew could have acted with defiance and vitriol.

Instead, Daniel chose to act with respect. When he couldn’t do what the king asked him to do, he simply said so. It’s against my values. It’s morally wrong for me to do so. He displayed great tact with authority and showed great humility in the process.

Daniel realized that God had allowed this pagan leader to have authority over him. He knew King Nebuchadnezzar wasn’t a God-fearing man, but he also knew God allowed him to be his boss.

Some of you have bad bosses, too. Understand this, though: God has allowed them in your life. At some point in your life, you’ll have a time when a bad boss will ask you to do something unethical or immoral. You’ll need to know how to make a respectful appeal.

Daniel provides us with a great model.

The Bible says of Daniel, “He asked the chief of staff for permission not to eat these unacceptable foods” (Daniel 1:8b NLT).

Daniel didn’t demand. He didn’t rebel. He sought permission. He asked, “Can I be exempted from this?”

The Bible says, “Now God had given the chief of staff both respect and affection for Daniel” (Daniel 1:9 NLT).

The world urges us to show bluster when we’re wronged. God urges us to show respect.

And we can always know that God is looking out for our best interests.

Talk It Over

What’s your first response when you’ve been unfairly treated? How has this changed over the years?
Why is it difficult to respond respectfully to unfairness?
What’s the best example you’ve ever seen of someone responding to an unfair situation with respect and humility?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”