Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 22:6-8
But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; "He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!" (ESV)

John 19:30
When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, "It is finished," and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (ESV)

Thoughts
First learned of this worm from an old favorite, Kionia House. Sitting in church and conferences I was amazed I had never had heard about the worm even though it was right there in Psalm 22. The unusual reference is found in the Psalm of the Cross. One might wonder why it is reflected until one discovers how the Creator of the universe deigned the Coccus Ilicis AKA the Crimson or Scarlet Worm.

The mother worm will attach herself to several species of oak found in the Mediterranean, which does include Israel, where she lays her larva, permanently attached herself while covering her brood with a hard crimson shell. Her babies live under her protected and feed off her living body as she oozes a permanent crimson stain. Three days, not 4 not 2 3 exact days after her death, her color changes as her body transformed into white wax floats to the ground like snow. "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool, " Isaiah 1:18 (ESV).

Action Point
"Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so," Acts 17:11 (ESV). Paul is referring to the Bereans with all eagerness who examined the scriptures daily which we at Sportsmens encourage each of you to continue to do.

In the online Lexicon/Strong's H8438 from the Blue Letter Bible site I found this reference:

B. the worm "coccus ilicis"
"When the female of the scarlet worm species was ready to give birth to her young, she would attach her body to the trunk of a tree, fixing herself so firmly and permanently that she would never leave again. The eggs deposited beneath her body were thus protected until the larvae were hatched and able to enter their own life cycle. As the mother died, the crimson fluid stained her body and the surrounding wood. From the dead bodies of such female scarlet worms, the commercial scarlet dyes of antiquity were extracted. What a picture this gives of Christ, dying on the tree, shedding his precious blood that he might 'bring many sons unto glory' (Hbr 2:10)! He died for us, that we might live through him! Psa 22:6 describes such a worm and gives us this picture of Christ. (cf. Isa 1:18)" (Henry Morris. Biblical Basis for Modern Science, Baker Book House, 1985, p. 73)

You'll find the references to in God's design of the Tabernacle using scarlet threads even in the priestly robes. The worm was used as a healing agent from the collection of the dried hard red peas in Exodus when one came in contact with the dead. Currently is used in some heart medication. Amazing!

Just as the Crimson worm climbs on chosen wood to die to give offspring life, Jesus Christ, sinless, chose to die on a wooden cross to pay the penalty for all our sins, rose from the grave in three days, is ALIVE and offers the free gift of eternity with Him by your "yes" to His offer. His scarlet blood washes our sins as white as snow.His death finished the payment. The choice is yours and eternity is a long time.
(Jo Q)
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:03 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 27:12-14
When he was accused by the chief priests and the elders, he gave no answer. Then Pilate asked him, "Don't you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?" But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge-to the great amazement of the governor. (NIV)

Thoughts
It's Good Friday. My thoughts have gone back to a day a little over two-thousand years ago when Jesus was asked that question: Don't you hear what they're saying about you? Don't you have anything to say in your defense? Jesus amazes them when He makes no reply. I stand in awe when I think of that scene. If I were in the field and a game warden was asking me questions, I would answer them, wouldn't you? If that had been me instead of Jesus, I would have said something. I would have been throwing everything I could back at the accusers. I would have had my attorney there blasting the accusers, quoting laws and legal precedents.

But Jesus made no reply. He stood in silence. Silence. Why? Because a decision had been made. It was made the night before in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus prayed, "He went away a second time and prayed, 'My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done,'" Matthew 26:42 (NIV). Jesus knew the need, and Jesus knew the consequences for all mankind if He refused the cross. There in the garden, He had a choice; and by being obedient to the Father, He chose to love us, to die for us, and to take the burden of all of our sins on Himself. Jesus made this choice in spite of knowing all of the suffering that awaited Him in the next few hours.

Hebrews 5:8 says that Jesus was made perfect through His suffering. Because of His perfection, we can have eternal life with Him. Jesus made a commitment. He kept it, He suffered during that horrible night, and later on the Cross. Because of His suffering, we have this day, Good Friday; and three days later, we have Easter - triumph over sin and death. Praise God for Jesus' obedience, even to death onthea Cross!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
As you go through your day, be aware that you are God's witness to the world around you. Be prepared to answer those who ask you why you are a follower of Jesus. Tell your world about the love and forgiveness that you have found in Jesus and that they can have the same.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:06 pm

Bible Study Verse
Luke 22:7-20
Then came the day of Unleavened Bread on which the Passover lamb had to be sacrificed. Jesus sent Peter and John, saying, "Go and make preparations for us to eat the Passover."
"Where do you want us to prepare for it?" they asked.
He replied, "As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters, and say to the owner of the house, 'The Teacher asks: Where is the guest room, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?' He will show you a large room upstairs, all furnished. Make preparations there."
They left and found things just as Jesus had told them. So they prepared the Passover.
When the hour came, Jesus and his apostles reclined at the table. And he said to them, "I have eagerly desired to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you, I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God."
After taking the cup, he gave thanks and said, "Take this and divide it among you. For I tell you I will not drink again from the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."
And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."
In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which is poured out for you. (NIV)

Thoughts
A few years back a young game warden called me during deer season and asked, "your daughters get a deer yet?" When I replied to the negative he shared a location where he had seen a couple of bucks running together and should be easy to "glass-up" in the morning if I followed his directions. This was a real step of faith issue for me as I hardly knew this young man. Long story short, we spotted the bucks at sunrise and both daughters simultaneously filled their tags that morning after a challenging stalk.

Today is the first day of Passover (calendars vary). This afternoon will mark the day the captive Israelites in Egypt were commanded by God to slaughter a lamb, spread the blood over their doorposts, eat the lamb in haste. "On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn of both people and animals, and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am the Lord. The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are, and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt," Exodus 12:12-13 (NIV).

Immediately thereafter was their rescue and exodus from Egypt.

Action Point
How many times have you been told the secret location of deer or a fishing honey hole by a stranger or someone you hardly know? I'm a skeptic. Promise me good fortune and I want to know what's in it for you!

The Israelites had to step out on faith with essentially a self appointed leader they didn't know, taking his lead from a God they were not so close to anymore. Yet, in the end Moses led them, and God was true to them.

Jump ahead a few thousand years and that same God sends His Son to teach, lead and show us how to walk His Walk. He sits with His disciples for the Passover meal and tells them when you do these things do them "in remembrance of Me." This same man, Jesus the Messiah, became our Passover Lamb. Once and for all.

Will you walk as He did? Do you know what His walk looked like? The gospels paint a pretty clear picture. Follow His example, and when you take part in the Passover like His disciples, do it in remembrance of His ministry and sacrifice for you!
(Ruben C)

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:08 pm

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 4:1
Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction; pay attention and gain understanding. (NIV)

Thoughts
My father took me fishing at a very young age. I was three-years old when I first went in the boat with him. My mother was extremely upset and most of my body was covered by flotation devices! It's amazing that I could move at all. It was then that I caught my first fish - a white bass from the Fox River - and now, at 47 years old, I still remember that fish coming into the boat, with a lot of help from my Dad.

As the years passed, there was always advice that my Dad gave me, passed on to him by his father. We fished a lot together when I was younger, and still occasionally get the chance to spend some time together to wet a line. Even when we don't fish together, we always talk about the fish we have caught and ones we are still after; and my father's instruction continues.
(Jim C)

Action Point
Always be open to new insights and instructions, especially from people who have hunted and fished longer than you. None of us will ever know it all. The outdoors and its adventures are so ongoing and changing that each one of us will never experience it completely. However, since each of us learns something new through different encounters, we become wiser learning from one another.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 21:4-5
All this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying: "Tell the daughter of Zion, 'Behold, your King is coming to you, Lowly, and sitting on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey.'"

Matthew 21:8-9
And a very great multitude spread their clothes on the road; others cut down branches from the trees and spread them on the road. Then the multitudes who went before and those who followed cried out, saying: "Hosanna to the Son of David! 'Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!' Hosanna in the highest!" (NKJV)

Thoughts
Today is what I call "Daniel 9 Sunday," and here's why. Almost 500 years before, Gabriel had delivered God's promise to Daniel to record, "Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the command to restore and build Jerusalem until Messiah the Prince, There shall be seven weeks and sixty-two weeks; the street shall be built again, and the wall, Even in troublesome times," Daniel 9:25 (NKJV).

That's 483 years. On the day in March 445 BC when the command was given, the clock began ticking. It stopped ticking on Palm Sunday, 483 years later, when Messiah the Prince came into Jerusalem.

For the first time Jesus allowed Himself to be hailed as Messiah the Prince, "Son of David.".

Daniel's prophecy had been fulfilled to the day! No other Messiah came into Jerusalem on that day. Our Father kept His word, perfectly - and He still does!
(Fred B)

Action Point
General Douglas MacArthur, in the above photo, left Corregidor in March of 1942, not knowing when he would return. He was able to eventually keep his promise of "I shall return" on October 20,1944.

Unlike the above General, our Heavenly Father operates within our lives with precise timing, complete knowledge, and a perfect record for keeping His promises:
Moses had described this day in Genesis 49:11, Isaiah 62:11, and Zechariah 9:9. At the Triumphal Entry, all of those predictions came to pass, exactly as God said!
There was second beautiful picture of God's perfect timing on that day. That Sunday was the exact day (Nisan 10) that the Passover lambs were being brought into the city! They were examined for four days, and then killed for Passover in Exodus 12.
The Lamb of God came in with them! Three years earlier, John the Baptist had told them to "Behold the Lamb of God" and now they were.

Today, may we rest in His perfect timing and in His 100% record of keeping His Word.
May we rest in the fact that though things don't always look "on time" to us, they do to Him.

May we thank the Lamb of God for coming into town on time, to be our Sacrifice.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Bible Study Verse
John 8:32
"You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (NIV)

Thoughts
The south Alabama spring morning exploded with the gobbles of thirteen turkeys. With this many birds hitting it this hard, I could already smell a bird in the oven. I eased down into a bottom where an old boss bird was shaking the woods with his gobbles. This wasn't going to be hunting; it was going to be self-defense.

After getting set up, I sent out a smooth set of yelps; and he just about strangled gobbling back at me. Within five minutes, I could see glimpses of him working through the bottom about eighty yards out. Back and forth he would strut and gobble, but he would not come any closer.

The morning passed on; and finally, after an hour-and a-half, he walked away. I was sick. Why, wouldn't he come? I walked to the area where he had been and found my answer. There was an old barbed wire fence stretched across the bottom, and he wouldn't cross it. He was a hung-up bird.
(Joey H)

Action Point
Life has a way of being full of hung-up birds. We get hung up on all kinds of junk that keeps us from the awesome life that the Lord has for us. Today, you may be hung up by not being the person you are called to be. Let the Lord cut the old barbed wire out of your life and set you free.

The Bible teaches us that, "We shall know the truth and it will set us free." If you are hung up today with a problem that just won't go away, or by the hope of an opportunity that just won't come, then apply the truth principle to it: Discover God's truth as it relates to what you are dealing; then, apply that truth and move forward into God's blessing of freedom.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Bible Study Verses
Luke 5:4-7
When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, "Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch." Simon answered, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets." When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink. (NIV)

Thoughts
Fishing for largemouth bass is my first love in fishing. When I began learning the art of the sport, I would be all over the lake trying to catch fish. I would catch a fish and keep moving.

I finally learned that with bass, where one is caught, there is a good chance there will be more fish in the same area. I had to stay the course - let the net down again - and I began catching more fish.
(Tom B)

Action Point
Simon stayed the course, let his net down one more time, and was rewarded for following Jesus' direction.

What God has in store for us is similar to catching bass. You need to keep trying and let the net down one more time. This is applicable to everything we do in life: family, jobs, and God witnessing through us to others about His refreshing love for them.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Bible Study Verses
I Corinthians 16:13-14
Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. Do everything in love. (NIV)

Thoughts
There may come a time on a hunt where you have to follow the commands of this verse. When? When you observe someone violating a game law, such as:
Shooting more than his limit of birds;
Shooting two deer and trying to sneak them out.
Sneaking an animal home without tagging it so he can hunt and kill another one.
These are all violations of game laws. What should you do?

Get whatever pertinent information is available and call the game department of the state where you're hunting to report the violation.

Similarly, as Christians, we must be vigilant, watching for Satan's attacks against us. We must be on our guard, stand firm in our faith, and be strong men of courage! It's what God expects of us, and what He's equipped us to be.

When the attacks come, report them to God, He'll take care of the violator!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The Bible tells us to stand, or to stand and be strong for our God. Trust Him. He'll provide all that you need to stand firm in your faith. Read His Word. Pray at all times. Put on His armor. Stand! (Ephesians 6).

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:19 pm

Bible Study Verse
Luke 14:24
For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Our job as His disciples is to go out and invite lost souls to His supper. Whether they are our hunting buddies, long-time friends, or new acquaintances, we should invite them.

God says that those who are invited and reject Him will be rejected by Him. Have you accepted the invitation to His Feast?
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Challenge yourself to invite a guest to His great supper. Be a strong witness of God's salvation.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 26:1
Like snow in summer or rain in harvest, honor is not fitting for a fool. (NIV)

Thoughts
I remember one time, as a child, finding a wallet on the street that had money in it. I asked my Dad what I should do with it.

He asked me, "What do you think you should do with it?"

I replied, "Well I would like to get it back to the person who lost it."

Dad responded, "And that would be the honorable thing to do."
(Jim C)

Action Point
I have always enjoyed Proverbs because they have so many answers for our lives. It is like the Father passing down information to his children. There is not one verse that you cannot use or have already experienced in your life.

When you think about it, honor is truly deserved for those who earn it. Honorable men and women like those who serve in our military, they serve with honor. We are honored that they do. We are protected by women and men who have honor. Honor is fitting for them.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Bible Study Verses
Hebrews 5:13-14
Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness. But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil. (NIV)

Thoughts
The renewing of Spring: Buffalo calves are first to arrive in my area; not long after, the elk, deer, and antelope start giving birth to their young. Those babies depend on their mother for nourishing milk and for protection from predators. As they mature they will rely less on their mother's milk and start to enjoy the food God has provided for them. They will become fleet of foot, able to avoid potential predators.
(Ron T)

Action Point
When I first became a believer in Jesus Christ, I was like a baby in my understanding. I think back to that time - amazing how much I did not know. Through time in God's word, fellowship with other Christians, and a good Bible-based church, my maturity level has and is continuing to increase. That's how it works in nature and that's how it works in our Christian walk with God.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:23 pm

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. (NIV)

Thoughts
Years ago, I was venturing out on a fishing trip into Canada onto a lake where some of my family had already fished in previous years. In discussing with them what my options were going to be on this remote fishing trip, my brother-in-law offered me a map of the main lake where I was going to be fishing.

On this map, he had marked out what fish were located where. As I looked at the map, I recognized I was inheriting knowledge from him of years of fishing on this lake. I was going to benefit from years of his trials and errors.

I wasn't going to walk in blind to this lake and have to fend for myself in trying to figure things out. I knew where the small mouth bass were, the pike, and the walleye. It was all laid out for me in the map color coded with notes and lure suggestions to boot. I was set up for success!
(Dave M)

Action Point
God has provided us a map to life through His Word, the Bible. He has given us this map to show us the way to live life in a meaningful way. There is no need for confusion, lack of purpose, or direction.

The answers to life's core questions all find answers within the context of God's Word. He has left us a map to help us make it through this life and to the next one. He didn't just leave us to our own powers and volition to figure things out. Because He loves us so much, He left us a map. May we have the strength to follow His directions today!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:44 pm

Clothe Yourselves
Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. (NLT) ( Colossians 3:12 )

What would it look like if believers took this verse to heart? The business world would be a different place, driving during rush hour would be a different experience, and so too our own homes would be different. The world would be a better place. Do you think the world needs more mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, or patience? Choose one of these clothes and focus on wearing it this week.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... CQWPkEGJ95

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Never Abandon
Don't love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never abandon you." (NLT) ( Hebrews 13:5 )

One of the greatest lies we are told is that money provides security. At the heart of our need for security is a fear of not having enough. At some point, when we believe this lie we put money higher than God and money is more trustworthy than God. But God has promised something greater than the lies money has told. God will never leave us. He will not abandon us, even after the security of money is gone. Are you satisfied with what you have?
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... 5OJTEpInnk

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 am

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 7:3-5
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye." (NIV)

Thoughts
In hunter education classes we always have some fun trying to figure out which eye is our dominant eye. This comes into play big time when aiming a shotgun, rifle or bow. I saw this first hand once at the shooting range during our live fire when a student hadn't hit a paper target once out of fifty tries at 25 yd. His grandfather came to me and asked for my help.

The boy was in tears because of his poor shooting. You see, his father, a member of the U.S. Navy, had made a special trip from San Diego to Phoenix for the field day to watch and support his son; and his son felt like he had failed his father. It took about five seconds to see the problem.

The boy was shooting right-handed, but was left eye dominant; therefore, he was trying to aim with his left eye! It took a little work to get him to close his left eye and aim with his right eye, but the result was fifty bullets in a four-inch circle!

Now I have a confession. Just like this young shooter, I sometimes have a problem with looking out of the correct eye, and then it may still have a "plank" in it that keeps me from seeing things as I should see them. Most of the time that "plank" is pride.

You see (no pun here), I have an insecurity that goes back to my childhood, a plank, so to speak. That insecurity surfaces anytime I experience rejection and believe my thoughts and ideas are considered invalid. This insecurity resulted from seemingly never being able to do anything that was considered good enough by those who were important to me. In my adult life, the insecurity can even strike while doing such worthwhile things as writing these devotionals. Yes, pride can strike even here. I want my way and am desperate for validation, desperate enough that I may even offend others around me while striving for that validation.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
When a "plank" blocks my vision, I find that I have to go to God and seek His forgiveness, direction, and yes, His validation. It usually takes some time for me to think through the situation and seek God's guidance as to what He wants me to do and how He wants me to handle the situation.

If I'm yielded to Him, He'll remove the "plank" and make known to me what He wants me to do and how to correct the problem. Sometimes He tells me that I'm right and to stand my ground. Other times He reveals my sin and tells me that I need to seek not only His forgiveness, but also the forgiveness of those that I have offended.

Either way, it reminds me that my motives for what I am doing, even writing devotionals, have to be ones that further the Kingdom of God, not myself (Matthew 6:33). I promise you that as I write, I will pray that God will give me the correct words and attitude to serve Him, and to provide a blessing to you, our readers. And, I ask you to pray for me and our entire Sportsmen's Devotional Team, too.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”