Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon May 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 146
Praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord, O my soul!
I will praise the Lord while I live;
I will sing praises to my God while I have my being.
Do not trust in princes,
In mortal man, in whom there is no salvation.
His spirit departs, he returns to the earth;
In that very day his thoughts perish.
How blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
Who made heaven and earth,
The sea and all that is in them;
Who keeps faith forever;
Who executes justice for the oppressed;
Who gives food to the hungry.
The Lord sets the prisoners free.
The Lord opens the eyes of the blind;
The Lord raises up those who are bowed down;
The Lord loves the righteous;
The Lord protects the strangers;
He supports the fatherless and the widow,
But He thwarts the way of the wicked.
The Lord will reign forever,
Your God, O Zion, to all generations.
Praise the Lord! (NASB)

Thoughts
Recently I had a fairly minor medical problem. It is actually a recurring problem that shows up every couple of years. When I experience it, it is very painful, makes walking difficult and sometimes impossible. For some reason, during this most recent occurrence I felt so vulnerable. Vulnerability is a new feeling for me. I've worn various uniforms for over 30 years, had a career in law enforcement, been an outdoorsman, and had many diverse types of adventures--I am seldom afraid. This was different. I think the Lord allowed me to experience this so that I would have compassion on others who are or who feel vulnerable, whatever the cause.

This was very disconcerting for me and made me realize that we not only need the Lord (duh!), but we also need each other. We need to have each other's back, to have compassion on the sick, on the infirm, the widow, the orphan and all our Christian brothers and sisters, no matter what the situation may be.
(Dave H)

Action Point
Just as the Holy Spirit is our Paraclete (Helper, Comforter), He can be the Paraclete to someone else through us. Let us come along side to help. We all know someone in need. Don't ignore them and think that someone else will do it. YOU do it. Say out loud, "Here am I Lord, send me!"

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
When you get a new gadget to replace an old one, consider giving the old one to someone else who can't afford to buy it for themselves. You don't need two, and what a blessing it would be to someone who otherwise would go without. Better yet, give the new one to them! Pr
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:03 am

Looking Forward
But we are looking forward to the new heavens and new earth he has promised, a world filled with God's righteousness. (NLT) ( 2 Peter 3:13 )

Are you struggling through a difficult time right now? Your trials are not without a reason. God has promised a time to come where there will be no more pain. All of our baggage, sorrow and burdens will be gone. We can hold onto this knowledge while we work to increase our patience and endurance. While this may do little to ease your heart right now, it does give us joy to look forward to a time of peace.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... MHxTGXX6sC

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Bible Study Verses
Job 12:7-9
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this? (NIV)

Thoughts
It is amazing that even the animals know that the Lord is real and at work. Think about all we know that Job experienced, the struggles he faced. He was a man who watched the behavior of the animals and birds, heard their sounds, and maybe caught a fish or two over his lifetime. He experienced the outdoors up close and personal. It was an agricultural world everywhere he looked.

What a great reminder of the hand of the Lord, not only in animals, fish, and the Earth, but in your life and mine!
(Glen D)

Action Point
Step out into your backyard or local park and reflect on the hand of the Lord in your life, all that He has done for you, and the great love He has for us. He gave His only Son as a ransom for our salvation to secure eternity in Heaven. How great is our God!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Bible Study Verse
Romans 3:23
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. (NLT)

Thoughts
Boom!
Click, Click, Click, Click. Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.
Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.

I have been sighting in my new muzzleloader this week. These actions have been repeated several times as I try to get things in line. Things don't fly perfectly.

When I first started this process, I was at 50 yds and couldn't hit the side of a 24 in square box. My scope wasn't seated well. Then, I had to restart the process over again. Finally, I brought the gun to zero, with good groups; but it took some time.
(Dennis W)

Action Point
I also miss God's Mark. My life is one of being a sinner. "For everyone has sinned. . . "
I need Him to straighten up my sights and keep after me until I shoot straight. I still may mess up, but the next verse is really the most important:

"Yet God freely and graciously declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins," Romans 3:24 (NLT).

He can make me shoot straight - to cause me to hit His Mark, His Righteousness. Bcause through His righteousness, He makes me righteous

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 22:6
Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it. (NKJV)

Thoughts
The Grand American Coon Hunt in Orangeburg, South Carolina, is a huge event with over 40,000 attendees. I was asked to be the keynote speaker for the event. After leaving the stage, my wife and I decided to look over some of the exhibits. We were looking into a pen of the cutest black and tan coon dog pups that you have ever seen, when one little feller woke up and headed our way. I prayed for strength, because I knew my weakness for puppies.

This little guy was awesome. He looked up and wagged not only his tail, but his whole backside. When I reached down to pick him up, he jumped right into my hands and licked my face. He knew all the right things to do. My wife, Pam, looked at me, shook her head and pointed at a full-grown hound tied to a rail beside the pups. Realizing that he was being noticed, the grown hound leaned his head back and let out a howl that could be heard for miles. I quickly placed the pup back in the pen. Why do pups have to grow up?

It is hard to believe that people were ever cute, innocent babies. The evening news is filled with horrible stories about grown-up babies and the damage that they create. This is the result of the evil nature of sin that is in us all; and this is why we need a Savior. If ever the world needed Jesus, it needs Him now. I know that upbringing and society play a role in learning to act out sin, but the bottom line is that all men have a sin nature and need a Savior. Why do we have to grow up?
(Joey H)

Action Point
A pup left unattended and untrained will be a problem. The same is true with humans. It is so important that a child be loved and trained in the ways of the Lord. This world is a difficult place and each child needs someone to walk with them. Take time today to spend a moment with a child and share your faith. You know, they are growing up right before our eyes.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Peter 5:10
And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.
(NIV)

Thoughts
Some lures, especially those made to catch fish with sharp teeth, must be made with rugged construction - ball bearing swivels and chomp-proof materials - components that make them indestructible. Even if the toothy critters that swim our waters may not totally destroy them, they can affect the lure's performance and fish-catching abilities, rendering them useless or ineffective.

What qualities are you made of? Do you allow the toothy critters or the trappings of this world take away your effectiveness?

There was a time in my life when I fell victim to such things. Thankfully, God answered the prayers of my wife, and used a friend to introduce me to my Lord and Savior. (Thanks, G.S.) Although I suffered the consequences of my actions, Jesus Christ restored me and made me strong, firm and steadfast.
(Will D)

Action Point
There are people suffering because they are held captive by this world. Pray for them. Ask God to place them in your path; and be ready to explain how a relationship with Jesus Christ can restore them and make them strong.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 6:13-18
Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord's people. (NIV)

Thoughts
This scripture in Ephesians is one of my favorites. It makes me feel as if I'm gearing up for a battle! However, sometimes it's tough to have quiet times with God, isn't it?

Men especially have a difficult time with this because, frankly, reading scripture sometimes seems about as important as shining our shoes!

A hunter will spend months in physical training preparing for a big hunt, weeks at the range, and countless hours pouring over his gear. Looking at these things, we see that the ability to discipline ourselves is there, so why the difficulty with setting aside time to be with God and read His Word? Maybe it's because we don't see our life as a great battle.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings (1Peter 5:8-9).

This is our battle, not our pastor's or our more spiritual friends. Don't think others will fight this one for us. God is the Mighty Warrior. Learn of Him. Look what He did for David in I Samuel 17. Then, read what happened to King David when he had his armor off in II Samuel 11:1-5.

God has given us the gear we need, warrior, right there in His Word. Use it as if our life depends on it! Remember; it's not an intellectual thing, it's about connecting with God. If we're not connecting with Him, we're gonna be connecting with something else.

Taking a Bible with us on a hunt or fishing trip is an excellent idea. We can read during our down time or while in a stand. Admittedly, I can also fall asleep pretty quickly under these circumstances, so I like to take other books as well! A book inspired this devotional that I feel is so good and relevant to my spiritual walk that I can't help but recommend it to you. Wild at Heart by John Eldredge will inspire you to dig deeper in the Word, and he is clearly an outdoorsman to boot. On the first page he takes you with him on an elk hunt! Get it and I am certain you will grow from it.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Bible Study Verses
Joshua 1:6-9
Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips;meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (NIV)

Joshua 1:18
"Whoever rebels against your word and does not obey it, whatever you may command them, will be put to death. Only be strong and courageous!" (NIV)

Thoughts
I know what it means to be afraid; you see, I'm afraid of the dark. Yep, the Arizona outdoorsman doesn't like being in the forest alone after dark. The desert? Now that's okay; but I don't like those trees - too claustrophobic! So, I accept my limitation, and plan my hunts accordingly.

Joshua also faced a lot of "darkness," a lot of the unknown. Notice in these verses that God told Joshua four times to be strong and courageous. Why? Well, for one thing, God wanted to assure Joshua that He would be with him, step by step, stride for stride.

Okay, that's good, but let's go a little deeper. Why did God give Joshua this admonition so many times? Because God knew that Joshua and the Israelite warriors were going to be in fearful situations. God was telling them that they were going to be in fights that looked absolutely hopeless, except for the hand of God fighting the battles for them.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Got some battles that you're facing in your life - financial troubles, marital problems, moral issues, temptations - so strong that you don't know how you're going to walk away?

Remember that God, His Holy Spirit, is with us. He is going before us and is there to fight the battles. God always gives us a way out of temptation (I Corinthians 10:13). It's up to us to make the commitment to choose God's way, and to rely on His strength when the battle gets fierce. Be strong and courageous. Put your trust in Him. He'll see you through!

Know your limitations! Always plan your hunt with them in mind. Avoid putting yourself in situations where fear and panic may occur.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:27 pm

All Your Heart
And you must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. (NLT) ( Mark 12:30 )

Is your heart wholeheartedly serving God where He has placed you? Has your heart moved on and God won't let you go? The danger of this happening is the fruits of your labor becomes much less fruitful. However, it is entirely possible to once again bear bountiful fruit. Even though it may be difficult to do, bring all of your heart back to where you have been placed until God moves you elsewhere. Bring back your heart.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... ZkpBhVzBpI

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 26:39, 42, 44
Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."

He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."

So he left them and went away once more and prayed the third time, saying the same thing. (NIV)

Thoughts
After reading this passage of scripture all my life, it occurred to me recently that Jesus had a choice. Just as God gave Adam and Eve a choice in the Garden of Eden, God gave Jesus a choice in Gethsemane.

Jesus did not have to go through the horrific death He was facing. You see, Jesus was not only fully man, He was also fully God. Sometimes we may overlook that He not only did not want to go through the crucifixion physically, but also spiritually. But still, Jesus set the greatest example of obedience to the Father that we could ever have. Jesus chose to obey; He chose to love, and He chose to die so that we might have life.

When I think about what He chose to do for us, it gives me a renewed desire to be as obedient to the Father as Jesus was. I shudder to think of the consequences if Jesus had chosen disobedience.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
We learned as youngsters that obedience to our earthly parents had rewards, as were there consequences for disobedience. God has promised blessings to those who choose to be obedient to Him. Remember Samuel's words to King Saul, "To obey is better than sacrifice," I Samuel 15:22b (NIV)..

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Confession Keeps You Healthy
"When I refused to confess my sin, my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long” (Psalm 32:3 NLT).

Confessing your sin is good for your health — any psychologist will tell you this. It’s good to clear your conscience and get things off your chest. Your body is not made to hold guilt inside you. When you do, it’s like shaking up a soda can with the top on. It will blow eventually.

David says it this way in Psalm 32:3-5: “When I refused to confess my sin, I was weak and miserable, and I groaned all day long …. My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. Finally I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt …. And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone” (NLT).

David internalized his guilt, and it physically affected his body. If you don’t talk out your problems, your guilt, or your bitterness with God, you’re going to take it out on your body.

Several doctors have told me that a lot of people could leave the hospital today if they knew how to get rid of guilt or resentment over things they’ve done to others and things others have done to them.

God wants us to move on to better health, and one way is through confession and forgiveness. Accept God’s grace and break free of your guilt.

Talk It Over

What toll has guilt or bitterness taken on your physical health?
Spend a few moments in prayer today asking God to forgive you for the things you’ve done to others.
Then pray about any resentment and bitterness you are holding against people who have hurt you. Ask God to help you forgive those people so you can move on to better health.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:56 pm

Bible Study Verse
I John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. (NIV)

Thoughts
After a long enjoyable day deer hunting, my son and I were sitting around the perfect campfire he had built. We had been there for awhile just enjoying life when one of the logs rolled out and away from the fire. We were both too comfortable to move so we just let it lay there and watched it slowly burn its self out. After a while my son finally got up and kicked the log back into the fire. Within seconds, that log was a blaze of fire again.

The next morning resting under a tree, I started thinking about that log in the fire. God mentions several times the importance of being among fellow believers and staying in fellowship with other christians. There is power and strength in numbers. I know for me, it is easier to stay on fire for God when I am around other Christians. But when I have been away for awhile, it is difficult to keep that fire burning as hot and as bright as I should. The devil knows how to poke you in hopes that you will become separated from God.
(Dave W)

Action Point
Don't wait for something to happen that kicks you back to God. If you have been out of church for awhile or away from your Bible studies, don't wait any longer. Become focused on Him. You will be surprised how much better you will feel and how fast that spark will turn back into a blaze.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 am

All We Ever See
"We remember the fish we used to eat for free in Egypt. And we had all the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic we wanted. But now our appetites are gone. All we ever see is this manna!" ( Numbers 11:5-6 )

Everything is much better in our memories. That's the case with the Israelites as they were wandering in the desert, they were remembering the foods they used to eat. Never mind that they were slaves! God provided a daily miracle for them and that is their thanks. What miracles is God providing for you that you've overlooked? Let's learn from these ungrateful Israelites and thank our God for His provisions with a grateful heart!
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... AWStEcwgSU

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:49 pm

“Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (Romans 12:11-12 NIV).

In order to reach your goals, you have to figure out how to maintain your enthusiasm over the long haul.

The influential American writer, Ralph Waldo Emerson, said, “Nothing great is ever accomplished without enthusiasm.” I believe that with all of my heart. I have found it to be true in my life. You’ve got to have passion, you’ve got to have enthusiasm, or you’re never going to make it to the finish line.

Most people would consider me an enthusiastic person, and I am. But I haven’t been an enthusiastic person for a week or a month. My enthusiasm has not waned over a year or five or 10 years. I have been consistently enthusiastic about the goals that I’ve set for more than 30 years.

How do you do that? How do you stay enthusiastic day after day in spite of delays and difficulties and dead ends and problems and pressures and criticisms? How do you stay enthusiastic for more than 30 years?

Positive thinking is not enough. Pulling yourself up by your psychological bootstraps is not enough. Talking yourself into optimism is not enough.

The way you stay enthusiastic for a lifetime is found in the word “enthusiasm.” The word “enthusiasm” comes from the Greek word en theos. En is the Greek word for “in.” Theos is the Greek word for “God.” So en theos means to be “in God.”

When you get in God, you will be enthusiastic. It’s the kind of enthusiasm that isn’t affected by the economy or the weather or your circumstances. It’s eternal because you are tied to the eternal God. You are in Christ.

Paul tells us how to do this in Romans 12:11-12. He says, “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer” (NIV).

If you want to reach your goals this year, you need to get God’s power by being joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.

Pray this prayer today: “Dear God, I don’t want to go another day without you in my life, controlling every part of my heart. I offer you my body. I dedicate myself to you. In light of all you’ve done for me, I give myself as a living sacrifice to you as a spiritual act of worship.

I humbly admit that I need help. I want you to help renew my mind. Help me to think the way you want me to think. Please forgive me for my pride. I don’t want to think more highly of myself than I should. My faith needs to grow, and I need your help to set goals that can be measured so I can manage them. Forgive me for trying to change on my own.

I want to fill my life with love. I want to fill my life with you. Help me to get group support. Help me to take delight in honoring other people, to focus on giving my life away so that you can take care of my needs. I want to nurture my enthusiasm by being in you. Help me to be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. I give myself to you. In your name I pray. Amen.”

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Before I confessed my sins, my bones felt limp, and I groaned all day long” (Psalm 32:3 CEV).

It’s not just swallowing too much food that’ll torpedo your health. Swallowing your sin can have even more disastrous results.

One of the healthiest choices you can make is to receive the forgiveness of God. Many people are carrying around a stinky garbage sack of sin. Carrying around that sack won’t just make you ineffective for serving Jesus; it’ll ruin your health, too.

The Bible teaches in Psalm 32:3-5, “Before I confessed my sins, my bones felt limp, and I groaned all day long. Night and day your hand weighed heavily on me, and my strength was gone as in the summer heat. So I confessed my sins and told them all to you. I said, ‘I’ll tell the Lord each one of my sins.’ Then you forgave me and took away my guilt” (CEV).

In fact, an October 2013 study by scientists at Princeton University and the University of Waterloo scientifically verified what King David said centuries earlier: The feelings we can have of being physically “weighed down” by guilt are real.

God has given us a foolproof method for relief from those soul and body-destroying feelings of guilt: repentance. How do you repent?

Make a moral inventory. Psalm 138:23-24 says, “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test my thoughts. Point out anything you find in me that makes you sad, and lead me along the path of everlasting life” (TLB). In other words, you start by grabbing a pencil and paper and asking God to bring to mind your sin. Take your time. Don’t rush it. Be specific. Write them down, knowing you will be the only one to see this list. You can tear it up after you’ve finished this exercise.
Accept the blame. The greatest holdup to healing is you. Don’t rationalize your sin. Don’t minimize it. You may not be 100 percent to blame, but accept the part that’s yours.
Ask for forgiveness. Believe that God will forgive you. Ask him to forgive you based on what he promises in the Bible (1 John 1:9). Don’t beg. Don’t bargain. Just believe that God will forgive you.
Don’t put yourself at risk of spiritual heart disease. God wants to use you. Come clean about your sin. Get a fresh start.

Then see what God can do through you.

Talk It Over

Make a list of sins you’ve never confessed to God. Accept the blame for your failures, and ask the Lord for forgiveness for each sin on your list.
What keeps you from confessing your sins to God?
Are there some sins you struggle with confessing more than others? Why?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”