Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Nov 24, 2023 12:22 pm

Bible Study Verse
1Sam 17:40 “Then he took his staff in his hand, and chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in the pouch of his shepherd’s bag and with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.” NIV
Rev 12:11 “They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.” NIV

Thoughts
Stories. Tales of the hunt, the backcountry trek, ‘jeep’ trails, even fish stories (yeah, I know; fish stories). And for Cops stories of calls, good and bad, and the people we dealt with (mostly bad). Our stories of our experiences, adventures, successes and even failures, when shared, creates camaraderie, increases collective wisdom, builds trust within the group.
Permit me a quick tale of two supervisors. When I graduated from the academy, my first Sergeant had been a veteran homicide detective. He was a good mentor who had been there done that and he had great stories. He built a squad that could handle anything that came along. When I promoted to Sergeant, I emulated as many of his positive leadership traits as possible. Toward the end of my career, we got a new Sheriff. He brought with him a friend, and made him my Lieutenant. Unfortunately, he was a rookie with very little experience. As I labored under his ‘leadership’ I noted that there was a lack of connection that all the Sergeants were struggling with. I couldn’t figure it out, he was a nice guy, educated, reasonably intelligent; we just couldn’t connect where it mattered most. As I studied on it I realized what was missing. He had no stories. Lonnie B

Action Point
Why did David take his staff? There is evidence that ancient peoples carved their histories into their staff. Look at the previous verses. David told King Saul his story; v34 “…When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep…”v36 “Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them,…”. In my mind’s eye I can see King Saul looking at David’s staff, like an ancient ‘PowerPoint’, as he listened to the story. I believe David took his staff to battle to remind himself of what the Lord had done and, therefore, what the Lord will do.
Rev. 12:11 states that we overcome by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony. What do you do when faced with the trials and tribulations of life? I know that I can look back and see what God has done for me in the past and I can, also, recall testimonies of others that have faced similar circumstances and overcame them. I am strengthened by these stories.
David remembered God’s help and went on to defeat the giant. Seems like good advice.
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:26 pm

Bible Study Verse
John 1:3
All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. (NKJV)

Thoughts
When I was a fire fighting pilot, I once had a supervisor once whom I considered to be very wise. This man gave a eulogy for one of our friends who had died suddenly. In the eulogy, he told about how adept our friend had been at so many things and gave examples of not only our friend's outdoor exploits, but with his office and family life as well.

One statement really stuck with me. He said that our friend "knew what he was doing" - meaning that he was good at whatever he undertook. I thought at the time, "Yes, that does describe him." He had a depth of knowledge of so many things. Over the years, I used this statement as a kind of yardstick that I would apply to various people, "Some people really know what they are doing." The kindest thing I could say about some others is that they didn't know.

Sometimes when I read the Bible, I am just absolutely blown away by the depth, the sheer wonder of what I find in it. There are times that I cry when I read it; and at others times I burst out in spontaneous praise. Those are the times when I realize that the Lord is the ultimate example of, "He knew what He was doing!"
(Dave H)

Action Point
The Lord "knew what He was doing!" But, if we don't hide His word in our hearts, we won't know what we are doing! Study His word . . . "Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth," II Timothy 2:15 (NKJV).

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:16 am

Bible Study Verse
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” - Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)

Thoughts:
With every backpacking trip I’ve ever done, there are several key moments in a day that will always stick out. Waking up in the morning looking out the door of the tent is a good moment. Stoking a fire first thing in the morning and making a hot cup of coffee is another. After packing up and getting everything battened down, putting the pack on is a concerted decision to continue on with the labor of love. Stopping for breaks along the trail and sitting down so that a log can support the weight on your shoulders for just a few minutes is wonderful. But, there is absolutely nothing like getting to the end of your day’s trail and taking that pack off. Why? Because you are literally removing the weight off your shoulders. The weight that you’ve carried all day long is gone - all 40 or 50 pounds of it. Losing that weight and the work that goes with it is simply wonderful! Any backpacker will tell you this is a highlight to a day. Dave M.

Action Point:
Sometimes as a believer, it’s good to step back and gain perspective. Life can be tough and can certainly wear us down - to the point where we feel like we are just carrying weight on our shoulders wherever we go. But, the weight of our world isn’t supposed to stick like that. If we truly trust our Lord and Savior, we don’t have to try to control or manipulate the details of our day. At our very fingertips , we have the opportunity to lay our burdens down with Christ and let him carry them for us. He knows our condition, and that’s why he gave himself up for us as a sacrifice. He paid our price. And if you have never given your life to Christ, you will never have known the incredible weight that is lifted by doing so. Asking Christ to be your Lord and Savior isn’t a guaranteed genie in a bottle where everything is automatically okay. But knowing that your sins are forgiven forever and always is like taking that weight off at the end of a day’s trail. There’s nothing like it!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:46 pm

Bible Study Verse
Eph 6:12-13 For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand. (ASV)

Thoughts
When we prepare for any hunting or fishing excursion, one of the most important parts in the plan is what clothing to wear. Especially with kids involved this is one of the most important list items for a trip. New technology and materials have revolutionized the outdoor clothing industry. Lighter materials are available to keep you warm. Stronger materials keep the clothing lasting longer. If you do a little research you will find the right clothing for your excursion. Clothing lines such as Kuiu, Sitka, and First Lite are among the some to consider. You might spend a little more than in the past, but the clothing will last much longer. Michelle H.

Action Point
God describes piece by piece the armor we must don in order to defend ourselves against the adversary. He explains that we are not wrestling against flesh, but the evil thoughts and acts that abound in the world today. We are to clothe ourselves from head to toe with the tools given to us through His Word. We need to study that Word in order to have the confidence we need to fight against the devil. Our Lord God is stronger!

Sportsman’s Tip of the Day
One of the most important pieces of clothing in the outdoors is footwear. Whether in summer or winter, you need boots/shoes that are waterproof and give good support. They should be specific to the activity in which you are participating.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:08 pm

Bible Study Verse
1 Peter 5:6-9 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. NKJV

Thoughts
I’ve written before previously about my challenge of Stage IV prostate cancer which began in 2020. I feel compelled to write about it again because if I can help one person through it, or something similar, I believe that I have made something good out of something bad as God would desire that I would do. I’m almost into my fourth year since being diagnosed and I’m still walking with Jesus. Sometimes I find myself slipping into a bad place mentally and spiritually after having put up with the side effects for so long. The verse above helps me get back on track and I try to remember it during those times. The devil wants me to drop into a “Why me? Why does God not cure me? Why? Why?” mentality. Fighting the devil off by yourself is very hard, but with God’s help you can have the victory. Kurt B.

Action Point
I know there are others in my brotherhood of Believers in the world going through the same challenge, maybe even among the Sportsman's Devotional audience. I encourage those with similar afflictions to read this passage so you can be aware of when the devil tries to bring you down into a world of self-pity and anger. Know that God knows what you are going through and is there to help you through it, no matter what the challenge. My sister, a Registered Nurse, looked up the research on those diagnosed with Stage IV prostate cancer when I first told her. She found that the average life expectancy was 2 years. I know it has been God bringing me along, and I believe that He still has more for me to do. I have been blessed with more time to reach out to others, for some to encourage them to become believers and for others to be able to trust that they can give their troubles to God. Long ago I decided to not let cancer define me and to fight it the whole time. I went on a rafting trip for 10 days in Alaska and then an archery cow elk hunt. I don’t have the stamina to do things the way I used to, but I won’t let cancer dominate my life. You’ll never know how much you can do until you try to do more than you possibly can...with God’s help.

As we get into our later years and we still can get out in the field, take somebody with you for safety and companionship. It is a great time to mentor a young hunter about outdoorsmanship and your faith in God. You will bless that person and God will bless you.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:14 pm

Bible Study Verse
Daniel 5:5-6
At that moment the fingers of a man's hand appeared and began writing on the plaster of the king's palace wall next to the lampstand. As the king watched the hand that was writing, his face turned pale, and his thoughts so terrified him that his hip joints shook and his knees knocked together. (HCSB)

Thoughts
I remember the feeling I had the first time I hunted deer and saw a buck. I was so overcome with a rush of adrenaline, that it took me several moments to pull myself together enough to make a shot. I still get that feeling sometimes, if it's a really big buck! I've known people so overcome with this feeling that they couldn't make the shot.

Like King Belshazzar in the verses above, the adrenaline takes over. In his case, it was due to the fear of God. The king knew he had betrayed God, and that he would soon die. The body physiologically responds to fear and excitement in a similar way; and at times, is totally uncontrollable.
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Hopefully, the next time we feel that rush of excitement when we are looking at a huge trophy animal in the woods, we will remember this verse and the overwhelming power of God. Perhaps that rush will come as we lead someone to Christ and they have just asked Him into their heart. That's truly exciting!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:18 pm

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 23:4 NIV “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me, your rod and your staff will comfort me.”

Thoughts
I remember a gorgeous August day in the remote country of Wyoming a long time ago. A dear friend of mine and our little 15-pound dog, Coby, were driving around looking at the beautiful countryside just enjoying ourselves and soaking up the beauty. Coby was sound asleep on his pillow on the center counsel of my 4x4 pickup truck. All of a sudden, he woke up and started to growl and bark viciously. We looked in the direction that he was looking and guess what we saw? There, 100 yards away, was a huge brown bear just looking at us. That little dog continued to cuss that bear out until the bear got tired of us and slowly turned and walked out of sight. Coby thought he wanted a piece of that bear. Bob M

Action Points
Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you, like Coby, got so upset and unsettled you went berserk and began to scream and yell? Possibly, we all have, at some point in our life. Why do you think that happens? Maybe because we were afraid or fearful so we lash out at people, just like my little Coby. He was afraid and lashed out at the bear even though he would have lost the fight. However, with us it is different. With Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior we will never lose the fight. We will have eternity in Heaven with Him. We may have some difficulties on this earth and lose a battle but we are guaranteed to win the war. Heaven is perfect and goes on for eternity. If you have not made a decision to accept Christ as your Savior, please do it today. If you have questions, reach out to a pastor in the area, or maybe a friend, or send Sportsman’s Devotional a message and they will help you out.

When taking any animal on an outdoor adventure make sure you provide them enough food and water and keep them from overheating in hot weather.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:20 pm

Bible Study Verse
Eph 6:12-13 For our wrestling is not against flesh and blood, but against the principalities, against the powers, against the world-rulers of this darkness, against the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Wherefore take up the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and, having done all, to stand. (ASV)

Thoughts
When we prepare for any hunting or fishing excursion, one of the most important parts in the plan is what clothing to wear. Especially with kids involved this is one of the most important list items for a trip. New technology and materials have revolutionized the outdoor clothing industry. Lighter materials are available to keep you warm. Stronger materials keep the clothing lasting longer. If you do a little research you will find the right clothing for your excursion. Clothing lines such as Kuiu, Sitka, and First Lite are among the some to consider. You might spend a little more than in the past, but the clothing will last much longer. Michelle H.

Action Point
God describes piece by piece the armor we must don in order to defend ourselves against the adversary. He explains that we are not wrestling against flesh, but the evil thoughts and acts that abound in the world today. We are to clothe ourselves from head to toe with the tools given to us through His Word. We need to study that Word in order to have the confidence we need to fight against the devil. Our Lord God is stronger!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:18 pm

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 4:14-15
14 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evildoers. 15 Avoid it, do not travel on it; turn from it and go on your way. NIV.

Thoughts
Young William was slipping along a path with bow and arrows in hand, making his way to his tree stand in mid-fall, hoping to bag a whitetail buck. He had to cross a small stream in a hardwoods bottom to get to his spot for the evening hunt. There in the trail was a giant venomous snake—the dreadful cotton-mouth moccasin. William was alone; his first thought was to engage the snake, but he remembered the teachings of a dad, uncles, and a grandpa: leave it alone and get away! So, the young man altered his route and didn’t disturb the dangerous reptile. Andy D.

Action Point
Hunters and people outdoors shouldn’t play around with snakes, especially venomous ones. Some will dispatch the vermin, and that’s a personal choice, but I believe it is better to get away…flee. The same applies to sin—don’t play…run, escape, and get away. Are you dabbling in a behavior that you know is wrong? Change directions, alter your path. Don’t mess with venomous snakes, and even more so, don’t play around with sin. Remember the teachings of a wise grandpa or dad; refer to God's Holy Word.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:55 am

Bible Study Verse
Exodus 34:12 TLB “I am very, very careful never to compromise with people around me and I do not follow their evil ways.”
Acts 23:1 TLB “I live before God in all good conscience!”

Thoughts
My wife and I just returned from a wonderful photo safari trip to Africa. We met some wonderful folks and had great fellowship. Before every meal they made it a point to pray for the meal and their guests which we really appreciated. One night the family we were visiting shared something quite sad with us. They told us that some of their previous guests had informed them that they did not appreciate the prayers. When I heard that I was shocked and dumbfounded. Bob M

Action Point
The good news is that this family did not stop praying when people said they did not like it. They continued to pray before meals. They stood their ground. They said, “This is our house and we will pray. If it offends you, we are sorry, but we will not stop. As believers in our Lord Jesus Christ we feel it is important to pray before our meals and give thanks for our blessings.” They made their comments in love but were stern. My question to you is this, do you stand your ground for the Lord Jesus Christ? Do you hold to Jesus’ principles? If you do, and there is conflict, do you stay calm and still love your neighbor even though you disagree? Ask our heavenly Father to guide you in your daily walk, to help you hold to His principals in your decisions and give you the wisdom and guidance on how to handle the situation.

When you are in your outdoor adventure and are sitting around at night over an open fire make it a point to say thanks to our Lord Jesus Christ for that particular opportunity to show love and compassion to the others around the fire.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:56 am

Bible Study Verse
Jeremiah 29:10-11 -- 10 This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. 11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (NIV©)

Thoughts
I’m busy today getting my camp trailer and gear ready for an upcoming youth elk hunt sponsored by the Arizona Elk Society (AES). The AES sponsors this hunt annually for young hunters that are new to the sport. Families come to the event and are paired with mentors to go out and, hopefully, put some elk on the ground! It’s a lot of fun and the new hunters and their families have the opportunity to learn about elk hunting from experienced hunters. What they especially learn is that when you harvest that elk, you are going to spend the next six to eight hours, if you’re lucky, working hard and getting it out of the woods to where you can process it and get it ready for the freezer and eventually their table. When all the work is done, there is a lot of hand clapping and congratulations given to the youngster that just entered the world of big game hunting! (Cliff S)

Action Point
The Nation of Israel, and believers in Jesus by extension, can trust these verses wherein the Lord tells us that He has plans for us, good plans. I’ve heard verse 11 quoted a thousand times in churches and by ministers assuring us that God is planning a future for us to both prosper us and protect us from harm. But, I don’t remember many times hearing about verse 10 where the Nation of Israel was informed that it would be going through seventy years of really hard times. Yes, the Father has great plans for His children, Jews and Gentiles alike. But, we will all go through both good and hard times in this life before we reach the ultimate reward, that being eternity with the Father! Certainly enjoy the good times. Also, trust the Father that He will provide the courage and strength you need to endure the hard times. The reward is going to be well worth the struggle!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:57 am

Bible Study Verse
Matthew 7:13-14
13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. NIV.

Thoughts
Last turkey season, a good friend put me on a public land hotspot. He text-messaged an iPhone map pin to me of the location and told me to walk through the gate and head so many yards to a particular ridge to listen for gobblers at dawn. When I arrived, there were two gates on opposite sides of the road, and I wasn’t sure which one was right. Thanks to technology, I messaged my buddy and got a clear direction: the gate on the left side of the road leading southeast. Andy D.

Action Point
There are times when we come to decision-making moments—which gate to enter, so to speak. Maybe it's only the decision of doing the right thing or doing the wrong thing. Or perhaps it's bigger—choose to follow Christ or select the way of the world. The result of either type of decision can be life-altering with eternal consequences. Always choose Christ and always choose to walk through the gate of doing the right thing. You can always read the map God has given us—His Holy Word; it will show you which way to go.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:59 am

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 13:10
Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take advice. (NIV)

Thoughts
Several years ago, a friend and I were on an archery elk hunt in northern Arizona. On the afternoon of the third day of the hunt, after about a half-mile walk, my friend and I arrived at our waterhole where we had set up our tree stands over a week prior. We had sat in them the previous two days; but on this day we found a jeep parked in plain view and two hunters sitting in hastily erected ground blinds, one of them under my tree!

My friend confronted them. Low voices soon became a loud argument about first-come, first-served ethics.

It became apparent to me that the situation was about to get out of hand, so I quickly pulled my friend aside to discuss it. I told him to let me try to reason with them. After a few minutes of sharing about our tree stands, which they had not seen (That was the idea!); they submitted to reason and quietly left the area.

The very next day that same water hole produced my first six-point bull!
(Ruben C)

Action Point
As Christians, we have the responsibility to act on the better part of reason, no matter what the circumstances; not only when we are around people we know, but ALL the time. It's not about being right, it's about being righteous.

Remember: quarrels solve nothing, but breed animosity. Always take the high road. No favorite hunting or fishing spot is worth the risk of a fight or worse.

I Peter I2:23 reminds us, "When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly, " (NIV). It can sometimes be difficult, but follow Jesus' example even when in the field.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:31 am

Bible Study Verse
You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. – Gen 50:20, NIV

Thoughts
Rainbows are amazing! Like snowflakes, rainbows are unique. Your rainbow shows the reflected sunlight, in your line of sight, from the array of droplets in front of you. My rainbow shows the reflected sunlight, in my line of sight, from the array of droplets in front of me. Besides being reflected, light is also refracted. This means that each color is bent to create the rainbow’s arch of color.

Most sunbeams are reflected and refracted once to paint the primary rainbow that we see. However, some beams ricochet inside water droplets and, at a slightly different angle, produce a secondary rainbow offset from the first. Finally, still fewer sunbeams pass directly through water droplets without being reflected or refracted. Assuming that you could step-through the rainbow to its backside, you would see that the light passing through the water drops creates a grey halo around the sun. This flipside halo is called a “solar corona”. This means that, besides their uniqueness, rainbows reflect different perspectives! So what? Our lives, which are also unique, are blessed with different perspectives! - Bruce M

Action Point
In Genesis, we see Joseph’s eleven brothers deciding to kill him. After second thought, the brothers sell Joseph into slavery. They tell their father that Joseph was killed and devoured by an animal. However, God rescues Joseph in Egypt. Blessed by God, Joseph becomes the chief steward over Potiphar’s household. Finally in Genesis 50, above, we see Joseph forgiving his brothers who come to Egypt to beg for food. Joseph explains how God transformed their evil intent into his good, pleasing and perfect will. God “refracts” their evil intent into generations of blessing for the Jewish nation in Egypt.

In Romans, Paul reminds us similarly that, “…God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.” (Rom 8:28). James, Jesus’ half-brother encourages us, “… you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” (Js 1:4) The Lord reassures the Psalmist, “… because he loves me, I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges My name.” (Ps 91:14)

God challenges Christians to view situations from his eternal perspective. Sometimes his perspective is as direct as once-reflected light in the primary rainbow. Sometimes his perspective unexpectedly ricochets like sunbeams in a secondary rainbow. During crunch times, his perspective beckons us to trust him and walk through rainbows to see the solar corona on the backside! For the Christian, each unique trial is packed with perspective… and blessing.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:07 pm

Bible Study Verse
Through thick and thin, keep your hearts at attention, in adoration before Christ, your Master. Be ready to speak up and tell anyone who asks why you’re living the way you are, and always with the utmost courtesy. Keep a clear conscience before God so that when people throw mud at you, none of it will stick. – 1 Peter 3:14-15, The Message

Thoughts
At best, my baseball career was underwhelming. I was not cut-out to play baseball! You see, I was convinced that every curve ball was aimed at my head. I was certain that every grounder would pop from dirt divots, target my mouth and knock out my teeth. I was so tall that my strike zone made me an easy-out for the most remedial pitcher. However, I still remember my one (and only) homerun. It didn’t clear the fence by much! In truth, it hit the top of the fence and bounced over. In disbelief, I rounded 1st base and ran to 2nd base. When I hit 3rd base, I remember thinking, “Wow, is this what it’s all about?” Crossing home plate was the highlight of my 3-yr baseball career. Baseball has lots in common with life. - Bruce M

Action Point
The baseball movie “42” short-steps the role of “faith” in the decisions that made Jackie Robinson a Brooklyn Dodger. Peter, the Apostle, had people like Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson in mind when he wrote, ”Keep a clear conscience before God so that when people throw mud at you, none of it will stick.” (1 Pet 3:15) In “42 Faith – The Rest of the Jackie Robinson Story'', author Ed Henry unveils the faith journey that joined both men together to desegregate baseball. Henry pulls from personal papers, unpublished diaries and family recollection to show Branch Rickey’s faith in coming to New York, “to serve the God to whom they prayed … and [how] the Lord’s work called for him to bring the first black man into major league baseball”. Henry recounts the angst of Rickey’s second thoughts, at Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims with his Pastor Wendell Fifield, before making the historic offer to Robinson. Even then, before the contract was signed, Branch Rickey read Jesus’ words on retaliation (Mt 5:38-48) aloud to Jackie. He asked him, “Do you have guts enough not to fight back”? Was his “faith” strong enough to withstand dehumanizing verbal and physical assaults; to stand silently as death threats were made to his wife and him? By faith, both men trusted Jesus’ words. They chose to engage divisive cultural change. Bearing epithets and death threats that made him the most hated man in baseball, Jackie Robinson rose to become an icon of America’s national pastime. With others in Faith’s Hall of Fame, Rickey and Robinson lived-out “confidence in what was hoped for and assurance of what they did not see.” (Heb 11:1, paraphrased)

Acting with faith to do what is right, to defy secular solutions, can result in spiritual combat. Since the April 15th 1947 triumph, we have celebrated how discrimination in Major League Baseball was overturned at Ebbets Field, in Flatbush, New York. Similarly, on June 6, 2022, the rights of unborn children triumphed when the US Supreme Court overturned the secular solutions of Roe vs Wade. And now, like Ebbets Field, battles to change American culture have begun. Anyone thinking that one triumph can defeat misguided cultural norms should remember the verbal abuse and death threats that targeted Rickey and Robinson long after 1947! For 8-baseball seasons after his “triumph”, Jackie Robinson was hit by more pitches than any other player. At the same time, black players were struck by baseballs eight-times more often than white players. Should we expect the triumph of 2022 to be different than 1947? Organizations like My Faith Votes (https://www.myfaithvotes.org/) challenge Christian believers to act in faith and do what is right with every vote they cast. History teaches us that faith actions which overturn secular solutions will be triumphs that require vigilance to secure.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”