Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:07 pm

“But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere” (James 3:17 NIV).

After one pastor had preached his first sermon at his new church, a guy walked over to him and said, “Pastor, that sermon stunk.” The pastor was trying to be reasonable and open about it and asked, “What didn’t you like about it?” The man replied, “In the first place, you read it. Second, you read it poorly. Third, it wasn’t worth reading in the first place.” After he walked away, another man came up behind him and said to the pastor, “Don’t listen to old Jim. He just repeats what he hears everybody else say.”

Are you a reasonable person? Can your kids reason with you? The Bible says if you’re wise, you’re reasonable. You’re open to suggestions. A wise person does not antagonize others’ anger, does not minimize their feelings, and does not criticize their suggestions. Most of us are overly sensitive. If somebody makes a suggestion, we take it as a personal criticism and we get defensive. But a wise person can learn from anybody!

Wise people are not defensive. They’re not stubborn. They’re open to reason. They’re willing to listen and learn. James 3:17 describes wisdom as “submissive,” but that word really means reasonable, willing to listen, and open to ideas and suggestions. The Living Bible says, “It allows discussion.”

If something is true, listen and learn from it. If it’s false, ignore it and forget it. “A fool thinks he needs no advice, but a wise man listens to others” (Proverbs 12:15 TLB).

Talk About It

Do you think of yourself as a reasonable person? Would your family members agree with you? What about your co-workers?
Are you more likely to get defensive or to listen willingly when you disagree with someone? Why do you think this is so?
What have been some of the most important lessons you’ve learned from simply listening to other people?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 4:21-24
He said to the Israelites, "In the future when your descendants ask their parents, 'What do these stones mean?' Tell them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.' For the Lord your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The Lord your God did to the Jordan what he had done to the Red Sea when He dried it up before us until we had crossed over. He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God." (NIV)

Thoughts
My wife's passions are her horses and trail riding. In the past 38 years we have ridden many back country trails and followed cairns, small piles of rock set to mark the trail. Today the Forest Service uses small blue diamonds tacked to trees along the trail.

The older method of marking with stones is still used, especially on unmapped trails or the older less traveled trails. Recently I found cairns over two feet high, stacked by an energetic soul. They still all serve the same purpose, the way.
(Byron S)

Action Point
Rock pillars or cairns date back to Moses' crossing the Red Sea during the Exodus. Rock pillars, thought to be set up by King Solomon, mark the crossing site. They represent what God did for His people.

Another analogy that I thought of is stones of remembrance are to point and show us the way. I have discovered is that every page of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, point to Jesus Christ, The Way.

Genesis 5 holds the prophetic stones that reflect genealogy from Adam to Noah which spell out the Gospel:

Adam=Man
Seth=Appointed
Enosh=Mortal
Cainan=Sorrow
Mahalalel=The Blessed God
Jared=Shall Come Down
Enoch=Teaching
Methuselah=His Death Shall Bring
Lamech=The Despairing
Noah=Comfort

In sentence form it reads "Man (has) Appointed Mortal Sorrow; (but) The Blessed God Shall come down Teaching, (and) His death shall bring The Despairing comfort."

Take time to read and study your Bible. You will be amazed at the stones of membrance that you will find. I guarantee it will keep you on the trail.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:10 pm

Bible Study Verses
Hosea 4:2-3
By swearing and lying, killing and stealing and committing adultery, they break all restraint,
With bloodshed upon bloodshed. Therefore the land will mourn; and everyone who dwells there will waste away with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air; even the fish of the sea will be taken away. (NKJV)

Thoughts
What's wrong with crime? This is a simple question with many answers. And, what about sin? In today's world, crime and sin can be two different things. Sin, such as killing and stealing are obviously crimes. Swearing and committing adultery, while not necessarily crimes, are certainly sinful.

So the better question might be, "What's wrong with sin?" According to the Bible, sin not only destroys individuals but it destroys the natural world around us. I'm reminded of Jesus' comment in Luke 16:10, "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much" (NKJV). If I am faithful in the things that pertain to me, such as guarding myself from sinful living, then I will be a better steward of the larger things that pertain to the good of mankind, like the natural world that touches me every day. This faithfulness includes following wildlife laws.

The only way we can be faithful to the life Jesus is asking us to live is to confess our sin to Him, receive His forgiveness, and profess that JESUS IS LORD. Every faithful steward takes this step. It's what makes one a Christian.
(Don H)

Action Point
For the Christian outdoorsman, stewardship of our natural resources should be one of many natural expressions of his or her Christian walk.

List the areas in which you are actively practicing conservation. What will you do to make your activity more effective?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 pm

“If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done” (Ecclesiastes 11:4 TLB).

Fear is at the root of all of your indecision—fear that you’ll make a mistake, that you’ll fail, that you’ll embarrass yourself, that you’ll make a commitment you can’t keep, that somebody will laugh at you or reject you. It’s always fear that keeps you indecisive.

We don’t like to admit that we’re afraid, so we make excuses. Moses said, “I can’t talk.” Gideon said, “I’m too young.” Abraham said, “I’m too old.”

What’s your excuse?

God has a dream for your life, and Jesus Christ wants to be the center of your life. You might be saying, “I don’t have the time. I don’t have the money. I don’t have the experience. I don’t have the education. I don’t have the resources. If only I were married. If only I were unmarried. If only I were older or younger, in another country, in another year.” It’s fear that’s keeping you from making the decision that you know God wants you to make.

The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 11:4, “If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done” (TLB). Perfectionism paralyzes potential.

But God has always used imperfect people in imperfect situations to get his will done. Always. If you’re waiting for that perfect person to come along, they’re not coming. If you’re waiting for circumstances to be just right or to get over certain things before you really get committed to Christ, it’s not going to happen. The basic commitments of life must be made in the middle of the stuff of life. Life goes on.

What’s the antidote to fear? Faith. Romans 8:31 says, “If God is on our side, who can ever be against us?” (TLB). You have to trust your fears to God and start moving despite the problems, fears, and doubts.

If God’s given you a dream and you know it’s his will, make the decision and move against the fear. Then watch as the Red Sea opens up and the manna is provided and God does the miracle in that relationship, in that problem, in your finances, or whatever it is.

I implore you to do something great with your life for Jesus’ sake. Don’t waste your life. Don’t live in mediocrity. Don’t just exist. Make the decisions that will determine your destiny.

Talk About It

What decision do you need to make today in spite of fears that have kept you paralyzed?
What are some encouraging promises from the Bible about how God rewards those who trust and obey him, even when we have doubts or fears?
How has perfectionism kept you (or someone you know) from making a crucial decision?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:14 pm

“A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences” (Proverbs 22:3 TLB).

It’s smart to expect the best but to prepare for the worst.

Solomon expressed this idea in the Bible: “A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences” (Proverbs 22:3 TLB). The wise person recognizes there’s going to be problems in any decision and prepares for them.

Even the Bible knows about Murphy’s Law: If anything can go wrong, it will. You can’t ignore problems, because they’re not going to ignore you! Problems are inevitable. They are a part of life. The wise person doesn’t deny their inevitability. A wise person prepares for them by asking, “What could go wrong? And what will happen if it does?”

By the way, this means you don’t have to have all of your doubts about Christianity and Christ settled before you make the decision to follow him. If someone had told me this, I probably would have made my decision to follow Christ much, much sooner. I still don’t understand a lot that is in the Bible. For the rest of our lives, we’ll be working out all the problems and doubts that come with faith.

You don’t have to have all of your doubts resolved. You don’t have to have all of the problems figured out or solve them before you make a decision. But to be wise, you must make a decision in faith, knowing that problems will come, doing your best to plan for them, and trusting God to give you what you need to confront them.

Talk About It

Why is it paralyzing to feel like you have to solve all the problems before you make a decision? In what ways do you do this in your life—with big and small decisions?
How does faith make it possible to move forward with a decision, knowing the problems that could arise?
Why does God want you to expect the best even as you prepare for problems?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:15 pm

“It is a trap to dedicate something rashly and only later to consider one’s vows” (Proverbs 20:25 NIV).

You only have a certain number of days. Every time you give a minute of your life to anything, you’re giving a piece of your life away. You’ll never get that minute back. When you give your time to something, you’re giving a piece of your life for it.

That’s why every decision has a price tag. Every decision will cost you time, money, energy, reputation, talents, or resources. There’s always an investment to be made.

Proverbs 20:25 says, “It is a trap to dedicate something rashly and only later to consider one’s vows” (NIV). It is a trap to decide without deliberating, to make a promise without pondering, to make a commitment without first considering the cost.

We even say this when people come to Saddleback Church and consider giving their lives to Christ. We tell people to take time to make the right decision. I’m convinced that if they sincerely consider the claims of Christ and the benefits that he offers if they place their faith in him, they will make the right decision.

One of the rules of life is that it’s always easier to get in than to get out. It’s easier to get into a relationship than get out. It’s easier to get into debt than to get out. It’s easier to fill your schedule than fulfill your schedule.

There is a price tag with every decision. Count the cost.

Talk About It

Every decision has a price tag. How have you seen this to be true in your life?
Why is it sometimes difficult to answer someone with “I’ll get back to you”?
How has counting the cost kept you from making what you believe would have been a bad decision?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:17 pm

Bible Study Verse
Romans 3:23
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard. (NLT)

Thoughts
Boom!
Click, Click, Click, Click. Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.
Reload, Boom!
Click, Click.

I have been sighting in my new muzzleloader this week. These actions have been repeated several times as I try to get things in line. Things don't fly perfectly.

When I first started this process, I was at 50 yds and couldn't hit the side of a 24 in square box. My scope wasn't seated well. Then, I had to restart the process over again. Finally, I brought the gun to zero, with good groups; but it took some time.
(Dennis W)

Action Point
I also miss God's Mark. My life is one of being a sinner. "For everyone has sinned. . . "
I need Him to straighten up my sights and keep after me until I shoot straight. I still may mess up, but the next verse is really the most important:

"Yet God freely and graciously declares that we are righteous. He did this through Christ Jesus when he freed us from the penalty for our sins," Romans 3:24 (NLT).

He can make me shoot straight - to cause me to hit His Mark, His Righteousness. Bcause through His righteousness, He makes me righteous.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:21 pm

“A man is a fool to trust himself! But those who use God’s wisdom are safe” (Proverbs 28:26 TLB).

We tend to make decisions frivolously, but the Bible gives a simple, workable plan on how to handle things differently. Whether it’s about career, marriage, finances, health, children, or the future, here are three principles from God’s Word for making wise decisions.

Pray for guidance.
Before you do anything else, get God’s perspective on the issue. Proverbs 28:26 says, “A man is a fool to trust himself! But those who use God’s wisdom are safe” (TLB).

Have you ever made a foolish decision that you thought was the best thing to do at the time? We all get impressions, but they are just that—impressions. They are not from God. They are from what you ate last night or just ideas that pop into your mind. You need something greater than simply intuition, gut feeling, or “I think.” You need absolute truth on which to base your decisions. You need God’s guidance, and you get that by praying and asking God for it.

Get the facts.
According to the Department of Labor, 90 percent of all new businesses fail within the first year, and of those that make it, 90 percent fail within the following five years. Why? Those businesses are based on what I call uneducated enthusiasm. They’ve got a great idea, but they don’t get the facts before they make decisions.

There is no contradiction between faith and fact, and it is wise to find out all you can before you make a decision. The Bible says in Proverbs 13:16, “Every prudent man acts with knowledge” (ESV), and in Proverbs 18:13, “What a shame—yes, how -!—to decide before knowing the facts!” (TLB).

Ask for advice.
Talk to somebody who’s made a similar decision. Talk to friends who know your weaknesses. Learn to ask for advice! Proverbs 24:6 says, “The more advice you get, the more likely you are to win” (GNT).

It is wise to learn from experience, but it is wiser to learn from the experiences of others. You don’t have time to learn everything from personal experience. You don’t have time to make all the mistakes in life. Life is too short to learn everything by trial and error. But you can learn from others’ successes, and you can learn from others’ failures.

Talk About It

Which of the three steps from today’s devotional are you most likely to skip when making a decision? Why?
What friends in your life know your weaknesses best and are not afraid to tell you?
Think about a big decision you’ve made recently. How did you know your impression was from God and not from you?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:22 pm

Bible Study Verses
Hebrews 12:3-4
Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. (ESV)

Thoughts
It was early in the morning and the all-day men's softball tournament had just begun. A white softball the same color as the clouds hovering overhead flew through the air and disappeared into a grey and dense fog. It rolled to the fence and the batter was easily able to score an inside the park home run.

Our team was down many runs in the first inning, before we learned that our outfielders couldn't see the ball when it was hit. The tournament officials couldn't afford to postpone any of the games, so we had to play no matter what. It was the end of the first inning before the infield learned to yell to our outfielders which direction the ball was travelling.

We lost our first game of the tourney, which meant we had to play the rest of our games in the "loser's" bracket. Our team fought all the way through the "loser's" bracket and found ourselves sitting in the championship game, facing the best team who was undefeated. In the final inning we scored a run to win the game and force a second championship game, since now both teams had one loss.

The second game, a hard fought battle came down to the final out to determine the winner. An inside the park home run would secure the victory for our team. We spent the rest of the following week recovering from the soreness and pain of playing so many games. But in the end, it was all worth it to come home with the trophy!!!
(Michael T)

Action Point
Our softball team played in the fog and lost, but we were still able to pull it together and win the entire tournament. It wasn't easy and it definitely took a while to accomplish our goal.

Just know that whatever trial or tribulation that you are currently facing maybe daunting to you, but it is not to God. Lean on Him and trust Him. It will take some time and may involve some pain. But, eventually you will have victory over your problems. Just keep working hard and moving forward in faith.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 17:15-21
"Lord, have mercy on my son, for he is an epileptic and suffers severely; for he often falls into the fire and often into the water. So I brought him to Your disciples, but they could not cure him." Then Jesus answered and said, "O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? How long shall I bear with you? Bring him here to Me." And Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of him; and the child was cured from that very hour. Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, "Why could we not cast it out?" So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you. However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting." (NKJV)

Thoughts
I've got this bad habit of keeping records. For example, I'm getting ready for crappie fishing during the spring turkey hunt here in Missouri. The timing is perfect: hunt in the morning and fish in the afternoon.

So I go to my "fishing" record book to see when I recorded the last line change, the type of line, and even how many cranks to wind the line on the reel. It just makes changing line so much easier and less mysterious. In minutes, I can choose my rig, change my line, and off I go. So yes, record-keeping is a habit, but maybe not so bad after all!

There's no record of Jesus having prayed immediately before rebuking the demon in the scripture passage above. In fact, there's no record of Jesus even praying while casting out the thing. He just commanded it to go and it came out of the boy right then and there. So what did Jesus mean when He said, "This kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting"?
(Don H)

Action Point
Simply this: Jesus was ALREADY prayed up and fully prepared to take on any ungodly situation - in an instant or at any time, from deadly demons to faith-challenged followers. You can't rattle that kind of discipline, as the dark side knows very well.

It's is a great example for believers to be prayed up and prepared, too, as we face our own menacing things of the world.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Bible Study Verses
Joshua 1:6-9
Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them. "Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips;meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." (NIV)

Joshua 1:18
"Whoever rebels against your word and does not obey it, whatever you may command them, will be put to death. Only be strong and courageous!" (NIV)

Thoughts
I know what it means to be afraid; you see, I'm afraid of the dark. Yep, the Arizona outdoorsman doesn't like being in the forest alone after dark. The desert? Now that's okay; but I don't like those trees - too claustrophobic! So, I accept my limitation, and plan my hunts accordingly.

Joshua also faced a lot of "darkness," a lot of the unknown. Notice in these verses that God told Joshua four times to be strong and courageous. Why? Well, for one thing, God wanted to assure Joshua that He would be with him, step by step, stride for stride.

Okay, that's good, but let's go a little deeper. Why did God give Joshua this admonition so many times? Because God knew that Joshua and the Israelite warriors were going to be in fearful situations. God was telling them that they were going to be in fights that looked absolutely hopeless, except for the hand of God fighting the battles for them.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Got some battles that you're facing in your life - financial troubles, marital problems, moral issues, temptations - so strong that you don't know how you're going to walk away?

Remember that God, His Holy Spirit, is with us. He is going before us and is there to fight the battles. God always gives us a way out of temptation (I Corinthians 10:13). It's up to us to make the commitment to choose God's way, and to rely on His strength when the battle gets fierce. Be strong and courageous. Put your trust in Him. He'll see you through!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Bible Study Verse
Isaiah 40:29
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. (NIV)

Thoughts
A few years back, actually a bunch of years back when I was sooooo much younger, I shot a deer on top of a rather tall and rough desert mountain, rough being the operative word here. As soon as I'd made the shot, I realized that the rest of the day was going to be an ordeal. Once the deer was dressed and skinned, he was lashed onto a pack frame, along with everything that I had carried up the mountain. Needless to say, by the time I reached camp, I was weary, thirsty, and very weak.

In our spiritual walk, we are going to experience times of weariness. I've been going through such a time recently - work that never seems to get caught up, equipment (computer) problems, health issues with family, a myriad of problems that seem to never get solved. Sometimes, it is truly overwhelming. That's when God steps in. His strength, power, and wisdom are available if I'm willing to accept them. So often we are determined to do things through our own power and strength; and that's just not going to get them done. We are admonished to let God see us through our adversities; and sometimes that's tough, because He doesn't do things in our time or in our way. But remember, Gods thoughts are higher than our thoughts; and God's ways are higher than our ways. Trust Him to do what He says, to give you His strength, His power, and His wisdom.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Do you really trust God? Do you really believe that God can and will do what He says? Plain and simple - God cannot lie. If he could, He couldn't be the Almighty God. Put your faith in Him today, whatever you're going through. Read His Word. Wisdom and answers are there if we will simply listen and submit to His ways.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:35 am

“We are each responsible for our own conduct” (Galatians 6:5 NLT).

All of us get the same amount of time every week: 168 hours. The difference between people who make their lives count and those who don’t is how they manage their time.

God wants to use your life in amazing ways. He put you on this planet to use you for his purposes. But most people don’t get to experience this because they don’t make time for God in their schedule. They’re so busy with their agenda, they’ve never learned how to manage their time. If you want to be used by God, you must manage your time well.

The Bible says in Psalm 90:12, “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (NIV). Notice that time management must be taught. Most of us are not naturally good at it. We naturally waste time. We naturally fritter it away on things that don’t matter.

We must learn how to use our time wisely. Over the next few days, we’re going to look at some basic principles to help you start getting a better grasp on your calendar so you can make the most of your time.

To make the most of your time, you must assume responsibility for your time.

That’s the first step. This means you stop complaining about how much you’ve got to get done and how much you’re not getting done and how much you’re overworked and over-stressed, and you just start making some smart choices. Stop complaining, and start choosing.

Your choices control your calendar a lot more than your circumstances do. You may not like what you’re doing, but you’re choosing to be busy. You can’t change your circumstances until you start changing your choices. The Bible says in Galatians 6:5, “We are each responsible for our own conduct” (NLT).

There are three types of people in the world: accusers, excusers, and choosers.

Accusers are people who go around blaming everybody else for their problems. They’re constantly accusing other people of causing the unhappiness in their lives.

Excusers don’t blame others. They just make up excuses for why they don’t do more with their lives and why they’re not happy. They tell themselves rational lies that sound good—and then they believe those lies. When excusers want to procrastinate, any excuse will do.

You’re not going to make it in life if you spend your whole life excusing yourself or accusing everybody else.

God wants you to be a chooser. He wants you to accept responsibility for your life. You are as close to God as you want to be. You are as spiritually mature as you want to be. You are as happy as you want to be. You are as disciplined as you want to be. You are as busy as you want to be. It’s your choice!

Stop complaining about how much work you’ve got to do and how tired you are all the time and how other people are affecting your schedule. Start accepting responsibility for your time, and make smart choices that will make the most of the time you’ve been given.

Talk About It

Think about your schedule this week. How many things are on your to-do list because of your circumstances, and how many are there because of your choices?
What choices can you make today that would create more margin for you?
Are you more of an accuser or an excuser? How has it affected the way you manage your time?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:45 pm

“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord” (Luke 2:10-11 NIV).

Some people look at the images at Christmas in popular media and assume everyone feels unstoppable joy during the holiday season. But, of course, that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Many people are afraid. They’re afraid of the future. They’re afraid of their present. These fears keep them from truly enjoying the holidays.

Psychologists have identified something like 645 different fears that people can experience. Fear is a universal problem—and it takes away our joy, even during the holidays.

But here’s the good news: You don’t have to be afraid. You have God on your side!

The shepherds from the story of the first Christmas prove that to us. The Bible says the shepherds had only been focused on protecting their sheep from predators before the angels showed up. When the angels put on a light show in the sky, it scared them to death.

But then God sent a message through those angels:

“Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord” (Luke 2:10-11 NIV).

God says the same thing to you today. You don’t have to stew in your fear. Over and over in the Bible, God reminds us not to be afraid.

The shepherds’ perspective changed immediately because of the God’s message through the angels. The Bible tells us in Luke 2:13-16, “As the angel choir withdrew into heaven, the sheepherders talked it over. ‘Let’s get over to Bethlehem as fast as we can and see for ourselves what God has revealed to us.’ They left, running, and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger” (The Message).

The shepherds didn’t just go to see Jesus—they ran! And verse 17 tells us they told people about the Lord as they went along. People celebrated with them as they shared the Good News.

God took their fear and turned it into a celebration.

He’ll do that for you, too.

No fear you have is so big that God can’t transform it into a party.

Talk About It

What do you find most surprising about the shepherds’ encounter with the angels in Luke 2?
What fear do you find most difficult to overcome?
How has God helped you become less afraid?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:46 pm

“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV).

Imagine yourself in Joseph’s shoes. You’re preparing to get married and your fiancée—with whom you’ve never been physically intimate—announces she’s pregnant and she claims God is the father.

You can understand the hurt. You can understand the disappointment. Joseph felt his only way out was to leave the relationship. It was certainly one of Joseph’s darkest days.

But guess what? It was also one of his brightest, too.

Your most profound and intimate experiences of worship likely will happen in your darkest days: when your heart is broken, when you feel abandoned, when you’re out of options, when the pain is great—and when you then turn to God.

Because God will show up—every single time.

Maybe you’re in a tough situation this Christmas season that seems inescapable.

Do what Joseph did, and change your focus.

God could have brought Jesus into this world without Joseph. God could have arranged a different husband for Mary. But God chose Joseph to be a part of the greatest story ever told.

Joseph’s plans changed dramatically when he switched his focus. He saw an angel who revealed God’s plan in a dream. Matthew 1:20 tells us, “After he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, ‘Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit’” (NIV).

Instead of focusing on his problem, Joseph considered God’s plan and then did as the angel told him.

History has never been the same since. Our lives have never been the same.

Like Joseph, you may feel stuck, too. You see no way out. But God won’t abandon you in your disappointment and your sense of hopelessness. Focus on God’s plan. Listen to what he has to say about your situation.

And trust him to follow through.

The Bible promises us, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight” (Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV).

Choose to trust God with your disappointments this Christmas season.

Talk About It

What surprises you the most about Joseph’s reaction to Mary’s pregnancy?
What’s the greatest disappointment you’re facing right now?
What’s keeping you from trusting God with your disappointments today?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”