Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm

“Don’t run up debts, except for the huge debt of love you owe each other”(Romans 13:8 The Message).

My hope for you is that you will set a goal to be debt-free. It is possible, if you are disciplined. Let me say, if you’ve never been debt-free, you have no idea the freedom you will experience when you no longer owe anybody anything.

And this is why it is important: If God told you to go do something right now, it’s possible you couldn’t do it because you are in such financial bondage.

The Bible says we should not withhold the repayment of your debts, that we should let no debt remain outstanding. What does that mean? If you are only paying the minimum on your credit card, you are letting a debt remain outstanding. The Bible says to not do that. God is not going to bless that.

You need to set up repayment. You may be thinking that would be hard. Guess what? It is hard! That’s why most people are in debt. If it were easy, everybody would be rich. The fact is that most people do not have the character and the discipline to do what God says to do. First, give 10 percent to God; second, put 10 percent into savings; then, set up a repayment plan.

You say, “Wait a minute. Are you telling me to save before I pay off my debts?” That’s exactly what I’m telling you to do — because if you wait until you get all your debts paid off to start saving or tithing, you will never do it.

You may think you can’t afford it, but the truth is, you can’t afford not to do it God’s way.

Talk About It

How is debt holding you back from pursuing a God-given mission?
Do you struggle with the habits of saving and tithing? Why or why not?
How are you building up a “huge debt of love” toward the people in your life?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:39 pm

“Honor the Lord by giving him the first part of all your income” (Proverbs 3:9 TLB).

We invest in God’s Treasury Fund by using some of our money to express worship. There’s nothing we can give God that he needs, and God certainly doesn’t need our money.

But when we give an offering to God — an undesignated, planned, and proportional offering where and when we worship — we’re saying, “God I love you.” That’s the first purpose of life: to know and love God. You’re planned for his pleasure.

The Bible says, “Honor the Lord by giving him the first part of all your income” (Proverbs 3:9 TLB). We honor God when we tithe. It’s an act of worship.

God wants you to give to this fund before you invest in any of the other funds. Why? He wants our hearts more than anything else. He doesn’t want our money; he wants what it represents.

Wherever I put my money shows my priorities and values.

This week, look through your checkbook and your credit card statements. What do they say about where your heart is today?

Where do you want your heart to be? Put your money there!

Talk About It

If people saw all the details of your current spending patterns, would those details reveal a heart fully devoted to God? Why or why not?
Do you find it easy or difficult to view tithing as an act of worship? Why?
How are you knowing and loving God more deeply?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:40 pm

“We must support believers who go on trips like this so that we can work together with them in spreading the truth” ” (3 John 1:8 GW).

God wants us to use some money to take the Good News around the world. We invest in eternity every time we use money to bring others to Jesus.

When you save to go on a mission trip, that’s an investment in God’s Global Fund. When you help others go on a mission trip, that’s an investment in God’s Global Fund, too.

This also includes using your money to encourage your friends to trust in Jesus. Luke 16:9 says, “Use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. Then, when your earthly possessions are gone, they will welcome you to an eternal home” (NLT).

Imagine when you die and get to heaven, you will encounter friends who say, “Thank you for investing in me. I’m in heaven because of you! I’m not your friend for life; I’m your friend for eternity. I’m in heaven because you cared enough. You bought me a Bible. You bought me a ticket for that life-changing event. You gave me a book that pointed me to Jesus.”

Others will say, “You spent your money to help spread the Good News to my village, even though you’d never seen us before. Because you gave, I became a follower of Christ. I’m in heaven because of you!”

Helping others find Jesus is the highest use of your money. How will you invest in God’s Global Fund? Will you go on a mission trip or provide funds so someone else can go on a mission trip? Will you give so that your friends or total strangers will hear about Jesus?

Talk About It

What investments have you made in God’s Global Fund, and what results have you seen?
What are some sacrifices you can make so that you can give more to God’s Global Fund?
What do you think it looks like to use your money to help your friends trust in Jesus?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:30 am

“The wise man looks ahead. The fool attempts to fool himself and won’t face facts” (Proverbs 14:8 TLB).

Many people in life start out well, but they end up progressing poorly because they don’t plan for the pitfalls. But the Bible says the wise person looks ahead and faces reality.

As we make plans for our future, we all face pitfalls, such as cultural distractions, voices of doubt, tempting shortcuts, and discouraging delays. Just look at Noah: He faced a variety of obstacles after God told him to build the ark, but he overcame them — and you can, too.

Now, this doesn’t mean God will give you a goal as audacious as building an ark, but I pray he’ll give you a big goal — even an audacious one — for your next 10 years.

The Bible says, “The wise man looks ahead. The fool attempts to fool himself and won’t face facts” (Proverbs 14:8 TLB). By looking ahead, we’ll not only be prepared to spot the pitfalls when they come into our lives, we’ll also be equipped to make plans that help us become the person God wants us to be.

Ask God to help you establish goals for the next decade of your life. Then you’ll be ready to move forward and learn how to handle the pitfalls that could potentially keep you from getting where God wants you to go.

Talk About It

What lessons from your last 10 years can you apply to your next decade?
When you look to the future, what kind of person do you want to become? What do you want God to accomplish in your life?
How do your goals reflect the power of God in your life? Do you dream big because you serve a big God?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm

“Start with GOD — the first step in learning is bowing down to GOD; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning” (Proverbs 1:7 The Message).

Have you noticed that the moment you establish a goal in your life, you start hearing people say, “Who do you think you are” or “It can’t be done” or “Forget about it”?

The antidote to the voices of doubt is to instead listen to the voice of God. Just imagine all the critics that were in Noah’s life. “That guy Noah thinks God speaks to him, but he’s just messing up all of our property values by building that ark in his front yard.”

The Bible tells us that Noah listened to God. And what did he hear? He heard God’s warning that the world was going to be destroyed. He believed what he had not yet seen. That’s what faith is — being certain of something we don’t see.

Noah didn’t turn away from the vision God had given him. Instead, he built the ark.

God is going to give you a goal for your life, and some people may think it’s pretty crazy. But you have to stay focused on what you know God has said through his Word, the Bible. Then, you have to go build your ark!

Talk About It

What are ways you’ve allowed fear or criticism to keep you from reaching your goals?
What dream would you pursue if you were not afraid of criticism?
How can you practice listening for God’s voice?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Bible Study Verses
Exodus 9:16-17
But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth. As yet you exalt yourself against My people in that you will not let them go. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Do we really live out each day to God's purpose? In this scripture, God is referring to the Egyptian pharaoh who would not let God's people leave Egypt with Moses. Unfortunately, Pharaoh was fighting against God; and ultimately, God showed His awesome power over all nature - Pharaoh lost.

As God used pharaoh in His plan for the people He loved, God has a purpose for everyone-- each friendship, co-worker, and hunting buddy - in His plan for us. Yes, even the inexperienced neighbor who may really look up to you and just love to be included on your next trip out. Can you think of someone who might benefit from your experience and knowledge of the outdoors? What might happen if you invited them on your next camping, fishing, or hunting trip? Perhaps you are worried that the hunt would be ruined? From eternity's perspective, what truly is most important?

Remember Pharaoh: God ended up sending frogs, lice, and locusts (to name a few of His judgments) upon Pharaoh's kingdom in order to deliver His people from slavery. God doesn't go out to get people. He is a God of love and He wants to give you the desires of your heart. He's more likely to send the trophy your way; although the inexperienced hunter may get that one, and you'll just look like an awesome guide!
(Rebecca L)

Action Point
There was a outdoorsman who went hunting with his friend of many years. Sitting by their campfire resting after hiking all day, he felt impressed to talk to his friend about knowing Jesus personally. He chose not to say anything because he didn't want to offend this life-long buddy. Not long after this great trip, his buddy died protecting his wife in a burglary. The sorrow and unrest of not knowing where his friend was for eternity never left him as long as he lived. Stop and seek God's purpose for your day now!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:03 pm

““Get wisdom; develop good judgment” (Proverbs 4:5 NLT).

One of the most important tests we all face as we try to achieve what God has called us to do is our response to cultural distractions. Can you relate to losing your focus because of any of these distractions?

The distraction of popularity. If you are always worried about what other people think, you will be distracted from your destiny.

The distraction of pleasure. It’s okay to have fun and feel comfort, but if that’s the primary focus of your life, you will never fulfill your destiny.

The distraction of profits. You can’t serve both God and money. Making a profit shouldn’t be the primary focus of your life.

The distraction of possessions. Judging your success by how much stuff you own will keep you concerned about keeping things and maintaining things.

If you are going to fulfill the mission God has given you, you must dare to be different from others. Stay focused on the most important thing: your relationship with Jesus Christ.

Talk About It

Which of these distractions have kept you from achieving God’s best for your life?
What practical steps do you need to take to help minimize these distractions in your life?
Pray for God to give you the courage to be different and go against cultural standards.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Timothy 6:17
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (NIV)

Thoughts
Does God care that we have things to enjoy? Will He answer specific and personal requests? He can and He will! Because He is good, He gives us good things to experience.

A good bird dog adds greatly to the upland hunting experience. I asked God for a bird dog, with a particular color phase of German Shorthair Pointer in mind. God gave me Regal! My daughter adopted him from a pound. Regal was always hunting and pointing birds in her yard. They wanted him to be able to hunt; so she and my grandson gave Regal to me, fulfilling my prayer for a bird dog perfectly. And what a gift he was! I asked for a bird dog, and my Heavenly Father gave me Regal so that I might enjoy him and pheasant hunting even more!
(Jack M)

Action Point
Give thanks to God for all things. Especially thank Him for the hunting experience. Thank Him for friends, equipment, places to hunt, the dogs, and the game itself.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord," Romans 6:23 (NIV)

If God is your Heavenly Father through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, He will give you things to enjoy. Be sure to ask Him! He can and will answer prayers specifically and personally. He will give these things because He loves you!

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows," James 1:17 (NIV).

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:45 pm

“It is the LORD who gives wisdom; from him come knowledge and understanding” (Proverbs 2:6 GNT).

You say, “I want to trust God, but I don’t hear him.”

You don’t hear God when your mind is filled with a thousand other distractions. To hear God, you’ve got to get near God. You have to get alone with God and be quiet.

The Bible says, “Be still, and know that I am God” (Psalm 46:10 NIV). That means sit down and stay quiet. That’s how you hear God and get near God. You have to sit alone and just be quiet with your Bible and say, “God, is there anything you want to say to me?” You read God’s Word, and you talk to him about what’s on your heart.

God says he will give you the wisdom you need to recognize his voice and follow through on what he says: “It is the LORD who gives wisdom; from him come knowledge and understanding” (Proverbs 2:6 GNT).

Pray this today: “God, I want to listen to you, not the voices of doubt. I want to get close to you and get to know you better. I want to hear you, and I promise to then obey you. I want to be one of the people that you can use and bless.”

Talk About It

What do you need to change about the way you meet with the Lord so that you can be quiet and draw closer to him?
How do you normally react to God’s direction in your life?
How can you demonstrate that you are ready to obey what God directs you to do?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:46 pm

Bible Study Verses
Mark 6:50-51
Because they all saw Him and were terrified. Immediately He spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." Then He climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed. (NIV)

Thoughts
Have you ever been enjoying a day out on a lake in your canoe, inflatable, jon boat, or kayak and as you head to shore, the inevitable strong winds come up? It wouldn't have been too much of a problem, but your boat is powered by oars!

After paddling awhile and not getting anywhere, you were probably frustrated and a bit tired. You might even have been filled with a little anxiety if you also saw a storm approaching.

You are not alone in this experience. Check out Mark 6:47-55. The disciples also experienced it. After feeding the five thousand, Jesus saw His disciples straining at the oars against the wind and walked out to them on the water. Not only were they frightened at first by Jesus' appearance - they thought He was a ghost. I'm sure they were also tired and frustrated by the wind.

Jesus, knowing their frustrations and fears, "immediately" spoke to them and told them not to be afraid. When He climbed into the boat, the wind died down.
(Doug L)

Action Point
What a picture to take with you today! No matter what problem or frustration you have, let Jesus join you in your boat, literally or figuratively. He will calm your winds and get you through your storm.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 pm

“Listen carefully to my words. Don’t lose sight of them. Let them penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body” (Proverbs 4:20-22 NLT).

One of the pitfalls you may face as you fulfill your purpose in life is the temptation to take shortcuts.

In truth, these shortcuts will only get you off track. The shortcuts may be moral, ethical, spiritual, financial, or even relational.

But they will distract you from what God wants you to do in your life, eventually eating up your time, energy, resources, and creativity.

Shortcuts are always shortsighted. God wants you to stop being “absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ — that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective” (Colossians 3:2 The Message).

Let God’s Word “penetrate deep into your heart, for they bring life to those who find them, and healing to their whole body” (Proverbs 4:21-22 NLT).

Talk About It

How can you recognize a shortcut in your life?
What shortcuts have you tried to take in the past when working toward your goals?
How can shortcuts cause us to be disobedient to God?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:24 pm

Bible Study Verse
Mark 13:33
Watch! Be alert! For you don't know when the time is coming. (HCSB)

Thoughts
Anyone who is a seasoned hunter knows to always be alert, watching for your quarry. We learn a skill like this through our mistakes.

On one particular archery elk hunt, I thought I was doing my best--moving slowly and watching intently for movement or the shape or color of an elk through the trees. But, what I didn't do was to notice the huge bull elk bedded down behind a log just 20 yards in front of me. Of course, he spooked and I never even got an arrow knocked for a shot.

Jesus instructs us to be watching for signs of His return, well-grounded in our relationship with Him, and knowing what His Word says about the end times. I pray that you and I will be alert and ready with anticipation for the day He comes again! Maybe Today!
(Jimmy S)

Action Point
Just as we put in time to learn our hunting spots and the behavior of the animals that we hunt, we should be learning God's word so we will be ready for Him, without the risk of deception.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:27 pm

“For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts forever” (2 Corinthians 4:18 GNT).

As you strive to reach the goals that God has given you, it’s important to remember that life on Earth is just a temporary assignment. Knowing this truth should radically alter your values and fix your attention on the things that are eternally important.

As C. S. Lewis observed, “All that is not eternal is eternally useless.”

It is a fatal mistake to assume that God’s goal for your life is material prosperity or popular success as the world defines it. The abundant life has nothing to do with material abundance. Faithfulness to God does not guarantee success in a career or even in ministry. Never focus on temporary crowns.

Paul was faithful, yet he ended up in prison. John the Baptist was faithful, but he was beheaded. Millions of faithful people have been martyred, have lost everything, or have come to the end of life with nothing to show for it. But the end of life is not the end!

The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 4:18, “For we fix our attention, not on things that are seen, but on things that are unseen. What can be seen lasts only for a time, but what cannot be seen lasts forever” (GNT).

When life gets tough, when you’re overwhelmed with doubt, or when you wonder if living for Christ is worth the effort, remember that you are not home yet. At death you won’t leave home — you’ll go home.

Talk About It

Think of the goals you strive toward each day. How does your effort reflect an eternal perspective?
How can an eternal perspective affect your relationships? Your attitude? Your witness?
Why do you think God blesses you financially or in your career if earthly crowns are not important?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:28 pm

“GOD is always on the alert, constantly on the lookout for people who are totally committed to him” (2 Chronicles 16:9 The Message).

When God gives you a mission, you can be sure you’ll run into delays, difficulties, detours, and dead ends along the way. They are a natural part of life. But you can be ready for them.

For example, if anybody had a right to be discouraged, it was Noah. Do you know how long Noah worked on that ark? It took him 120 years. Could you spend 120 years on a project without one word of encouragement from anyone?

Noah trusted God. And when he heard God’s warning about the future, Noah believed him, even though there was no sign of a flood. I bet there were many days that Noah didn’t feel like going to work, but for 43,800 days, he went to the same place, and he worked. He never gave up.

Don’t give up on your dream, either. Don’t give up on your marriage. Don’t give up on your health. Don’t, don’t, don’t give up. God is in control. You haven’t read the final chapter of your life. God’s already written it, but you haven’t read it yet.

The Bible says, “GOD is always on the alert, constantly on the lookout for people who are totally committed to him” (2 Chronicles 16:9 The Message). God is looking for people who are committed to him and his plan so that he can bless them.

Do you want to be one of those people? Then don’t give up!

Talk About It

What is the God-size dream you’ve been ready to give up on because of difficulties and delays?
How have you grown spiritually through the detours and delays in your life?
How do you want God to bless you as you commit your life fully to him?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 am

“You have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him” (Ephesians 4:21 NLT).

The secret to personal change is not willpower. The secret is to know and face the truth. You must know and face the truth about yourself and your nature if you want to change.

Nothing will change in your life until you know and face the truth about your weaknesses, your relationships, your successes and failures, and your past and future.

Nothing changes until you know and face the truth. And that truth is found in Jesus Christ.

Why is it necessary to learn the truth before anything can change in your life? Here’s why: Behind every self-defeating habit in your life is a lie that you believe. If you get in debt, it’s because you believed some lies like “I can spend and get away with it” or “I can always pay it back.” You might have overestimated how much you were going to make, or you believed the lie that you needed a much bigger house.

But do you? Are you sure it’s the truth? Can you prove it’s the truth? Are you absolutely certain that what you believe you’ve said about your finances is true?

What about your relationships? What about the things you say to yourself about yourself? Is the way you think about your past or about some event the truth, or is the truth what God says about it?

The Bible teaches that personal change starts with truth. It is the truth that sets you free. The apostle Paul says, “You have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him” (Ephesians 4:21 NLT). Who is the truth? It’s Jesus, and because Jesus is the truth, he will always tell you the truth. His word is the truth. The Bible is his Word, and that means the Bible is truth (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

What you hear on television or read in books isn’t always going to help you, because it’s not always the truth. Have you learned that? But what God tells you is always going to be the truth. God’s Word shows you how to get back to the life you were created to live, and then it shows you how to stay on God’s path.

This is why it is so important for you to have a daily quiet time in the Word of God. Nothing will change until you get the truth into your heart. As long as you build your life on a foundation of lies, misconceptions, deceptions, or half-truths, you will never change. But when you face the truth and respond to the truth, you will begin to see change in your life.

Talk About It

Have you ever taken the time to think and pray about your weaknesses? Why is this an important thing to do?
Why can you trust that the Bible is God’s Word?
What do you need to change about your schedule and priorities so that you can spend time every day reading God’s Word?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”