Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:56 pm

It's Good Friday . . . !!!
Bible Study Verses
Matthew 27:12-14
When he was accused by the chief priests and the elders, he gave no answer. Then Pilate asked him, "Don't you hear the testimony they are bringing against you?" But Jesus made no reply, not even to a single charge-to the great amazement of the governor. (NIV)

Thoughts
It's Good Friday. My thoughts have gone back to a day a little over two-thousand years ago when Jesus was asked that question: Don't you hear what they're saying about you? Don't you have anything to say in your defense? Jesus amazes them when He makes no reply. I stand in awe when I think of that scene. If I were in the field and a game warden was asking me questions, I would answer them, wouldn't you? If that had been me instead of Jesus, I would have said something. I would have been throwing everything I could back at the accusers. I would have had my attorney there blasting the accusers, quoting laws and legal precedents.

But Jesus made no reply. He stood in silence. Silence. Why? Because a decision had been made. It was made the night before in the Garden of Gethsemane when Jesus prayed, "He went away a second time and prayed, 'My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done,'" Matthew 26:42 (NIV). Jesus knew the need, and Jesus knew the consequences for all mankind if He refused the cross. There in the garden, He had a choice; and by being obedient to the Father, He chose to love us, to die for us, and to take the burden of all of our sins on Himself. Jesus made this choice in spite of knowing all of the suffering that awaited Him in the next few hours.

Hebrews 5:8 says that Jesus was made perfect through His suffering. Because of His perfection, we can have eternal life with Him. Jesus made a commitment. He kept it, He suffered during that horrible night, and later on the Cross. Because of His suffering, we have this day, Good Friday; and three days later, we have Easter - triumph over sin and death. Praise God for Jesus' obedience, even to death onthea Cross!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
As you go through your day, be aware that you are God's witness to the world around you. Be prepared to answer those who ask you why you are a follower of Jesus. Tell your world about the love and forgiveness that you have found in Jesus and that they can have the same.
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 am

“And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life” (1 John 5:11-12 NIV).

If you went to a mall today and asked people if they were going to Heaven or Hell, you’d likely hear many of them say, “I hope I’ll go to Heaven.”

But hope just isn’t good enough. I pray that’s not your answer. Your eternal destiny is too important not to know for sure.

It’s foolish to be unprepared for what we all know is inevitable: death. The most recent statistics show that mortality rates in the world remain 100 percent!

You’re not guaranteed another minute on this planet, much less another hour. Don’t put off the most important choice you’ll ever make.

The Bible says in 1 John 5:11-12, “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life” (NIV).

That’s about as clear as you can get. If you have Jesus, you have life. If you don’t have Jesus, you do not have life. You have a choice.

You won’t go to Heaven because of someone else’s faith. You’ll never go to Hell because of someone else’s choice.

It’s your choice! You’ll decide where you’ll spend eternity.

This is why Christmas and Easter are so important. If Jesus hadn’t come at Christmas, and then if he hadn’t died and come back to life on Easter, we’d be hopeless. Nothing we do would matter. You wouldn’t have this choice.

The cross is the answer to our deepest problem: our separation from God.

The Bible says, “You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross” (Colossians 2:13-14 NLT).

Talk It Over

How does realizing that you’re not promised another second on Earth give urgency to either your decision to follow Jesus or the decision your friends and family need to make?
Who in your life needs to read the message in this devotional? How can you develop your relationship to a point where you can share this message with them?
If the decision to follow Jesus and have life or reject Jesus and not have life is so clear and stark, why is it hard for some people to choose?
Prayer of Commitment to Jesus

If you are ready to commit your life to Jesus Christ, then pray this prayer:

“Dear Jesus, you have promised that if I believe in you, everything I’ve ever done wrong will be forgiven, I will learn the purpose of my life, and you will accept me into your eternal home in Heaven one day.

“I confess my sin, and I believe that you are God, my Savior. I receive you into my life as my Lord. Today I’m turning over every part of my life to your management. You have the right to call the shots in my life.

“Jesus, I want to relax in your love. Thank you that I don’t have to earn it or deserve it or work for it. I want to use the rest of my life to serve you instead of serving myself. I humbly commit my life to you and ask you to save me and accept me into your family. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Bruce Conkey
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Bruce M Conkey
City, State: San Mateo, FL
PKC Member Since: 30 Aug 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Jun 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $884

Postby Bruce Conkey » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:44 am

I appreciate being able to ready this post.
#23163 coondog123@aol.com
"The Proof is in the Pudding"

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 28:1-7
After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you." (NIV)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life. (NIV)

Thoughts
It's Easter, the truest evidence of God's love for us that ever was or could be. I can hardly imagine the scene: a violent earthquake, an angel appearing, the stone being rolled away, being told to not be afraid. Don't be afraid . . . Yeah, uh huh...right. I would have been afraid. Look at the tough guy Roman guards (the Delta Force of their day) - they became like dead men! But, amazingly, these two women don't faint or collapse in fear, as do the guards. They listened to the first post-crucifixion testimony given of Jesus' resurrection. They were told to go tell the disciples. The disciples were told to go tell the world. We've been told to share the good news. Jesus has risen; Jesus has risen indeed! Praise God, He has risen! Because Jesus rose from the grave, we can have the hope of rising from the "grave" of our sins. We can have eternal life, and we can know that we will spend that eternity in heaven with Jesus. Only believe!

Now, how many times have you heard someone say that they don't believe that a loving God would condemn anyone to an eternity in hell? Well, guess what; they're right! God doesn't condemn us, we do that to ourselves by the choice of unbelief. Through Jesus' death, burial, and resurrection, God has provided the way for us to avoid hell. Just as we would do anything to prevent our own children from experiencing pain, God went so far to prevent our winding up in hell as to send His only Son to die for us. Would I ask my son to die for me? No! Would I send my son to die for you? I don't think so! But God didn't hold anything back - He gave the ultimate sacrifice of His only Son so that we could be saved and be with Him forever. He truly is a loving God! He offered us both forgiveness and hope on the first Easter morning. But, as Jesus was given a choice to be obedient unto death, He has given us the choice to believe or not. Choose to believe. Thank you, Father!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Believe in Jesus - today. Accept His gift of salvation. Pray and ask Jesus to come into your heart and to forgive you of your sins. Be assured of His gift of eternal life!

If you prayed that prayer today, seek out other believers and find a Bible-teaching church where you can grow in your faith and in God's love. And, let us know here at Sportsmen's Devotional so that we can rejoice with you and pray for you.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:49 pm

I am the one who raises the dead and gives them life again. Anyone who believes in me, even though he dies like anyone else, shall live again. He is given eternal life for believing in me and shall never perish” (John 11:25-26 TLB).

The Resurrection of Jesus changed everything. It literally split history into A.D. and B.C. It’s the most important event in human history. And it proves three things.

First, it proves that Jesus is exactly who he claimed to be. He repeatedly said he was the Son of God who came to die for our sins. And he did just that. The Resurrection of Jesus Christ is one of the most well-documented events in history. It would stand up in any court of law. In fact it has many, many times throughout centuries.

The apostle Paul said, “For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also” (1 Corinthians 15:3-8 NIV).

Second, the Resurrection proves that Jesus keeps his promises. Jesus told his disciples that he would “be killed and on the third day be raised to life” (Matthew 16:21 NIV). Because Jesus kept that promise, you can trust the other promises in the Word of God. The Bible says, “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘Yes’ in Christ. . . . [He] set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come” (2 Corinthians 1:20, 22 NIV).

Third, the Resurrection proves that there is life after death. Because of Jesus Christ’s Resurrection, we have HOPE for the future. And it is a hope that will not disappoint (see Romans 5:5). Jesus said, “I am the one who raises the dead and gives them life again. Anyone who believes in me, even though he dies like anyone else, shall live again. He is given eternal life for believing in me and shall never perish” (John 11:25-26 TLB).

Where else are you going to get a promise like that? Nowhere! Who else can give that to you? No one! If you don’t get it from Jesus, you won’t have it. That is an amazing benefit, and it’s available to you today. What’s the qualification? You must believe.

The Bible says, “This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, ‘It is through faith that a righteous person has life’” (Romans 1:17 NLT). God’s Word also says, “It is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV).

The Good News is that the death and Resurrection of Jesus give us access to God. In other words, we can only get to Heaven by trusting in God through his Son, Jesus Christ. “God says he will accept and acquit us — declare us ‘not guilty’ — if we trust Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, by coming to Christ, no matter who we are or what we have been like” (Romans 3:22 TLB).

Prayer of Commitment to Christ

If you are ready to commit your life to Jesus Christ, then pray this prayer:

“Dear Jesus, you have promised that if I believe in you, everything I’ve ever done wrong will be forgiven, I will learn the purpose of my life, and you will accept me into your eternal home in Heaven one day.

“I confess my sin, and I believe that you are God, my Savior. I receive you into my life as my Lord. Today I’m turning over every part of my life to your management. You have the right to call the shots in my life.

“Jesus, I want to relax in your love. Thank you that I don’t have to earn it or deserve it or work for it. I want to use the rest of my life to serve you instead of serving myself. I humbly commit my life to you and ask you to save me and accept me into your family. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.”

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 22:6-8
But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; "He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!" (ESV)

John 19:30
When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, "It is finished," and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. (ESV)

Thoughts
First learned of this worm from an old favorite, Kionia House. Sitting in church and conferences I was amazed I had never had heard about the worm even though it was right there in Psalm 22. The unusual reference is found in the Psalm of the Cross. One might wonder why it is reflected until one discovers how the Creator of the universe deigned the Coccus Ilicis AKA the Crimson or Scarlet Worm.

The mother worm will attach herself to several species of oak found in the Mediterranean, which does include Israel, where she lays her larva, permanently attached herself while covering her brood with a hard crimson shell. Her babies live under her protected and feed off her living body as she oozes a permanent crimson stain. Three days, not 4 not 2, but 3 exact days after her death, her color changes as her body transformed into white wax floats to the ground like snow. "Come now, let us reason together, says the Lord: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool, " Isaiah 1:18 (ESV).
(Jo Q)

Action Point
"Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so," Acts 17:11 (ESV). Paul is referring to the Bereans with all eagerness who examined the scriptures daily which we at Sportsmens encourage each of you to continue to do.

In the online Lexicon/Strong's H8438 from the Blue Letter Bible site I found this reference:

B. the worm "coccus ilicis"
"When the female of the scarlet worm species was ready to give birth to her young, she would attach her body to the trunk of a tree, fixing herself so firmly and permanently that she would never leave again. The eggs deposited beneath her body were thus protected until the larvae were hatched and able to enter their own life cycle. As the mother died, the crimson fluid stained her body and the surrounding wood. From the dead bodies of such female scarlet worms, the commercial scarlet dyes of antiquity were extracted. What a picture this gives of Christ, dying on the tree, shedding his precious blood that he might 'bring many sons unto glory' (Hbr 2:10)! He died for us, that we might live through him! Psa 22:6 describes such a worm and gives us this picture of Christ. (cf. Isa 1:18)" (Henry Morris. Biblical Basis for Modern Science, Baker Book House, 1985, p. 73)

You'll find the references to in God's design of the Tabernacle using scarlet threads even in the priestly robes. The worm was used as a healing agent from the collection of the dried hard red peas in Exodus when one came in contact with the dead. Currently is used in some heart medication. Amazing!

Just as the Crimson worm climbs on chosen wood to die to give offspring life, Jesus Christ, sinless, chose to die on a wooden cross to pay the penalty for all our sins, rose from the grave in three days, is ALIVE and offers the free gift of eternity with Him by your "yes" to His offer. His scarlet blood washes our sins as white as snow.His death finished the payment. The choice is yours and eternity is a long time.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 am

God says he will accept and acquit us — declare us ‘not guilty’ — if we trust Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, by coming to Christ, no matter who we are or what we have been like” (Romans 3:22 TLB).

The Bible says, “This Good News tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, ‘It is through faith that a righteous person has life’” (Romans 1:17 NLT). God’s Word also says, “It is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God — not by works, so that no one can boast” (Ephesians 2:8-9 NIV).

The Good News is that the death and Resurrection of Jesus give us access to God. In other words, we can only get to Heaven by trusting in God through his Son, Jesus Christ.

How do we express faith in Christ? Here’s a simple, biblical guide:

Admit you need a Savior

You can’t get to God on your own. You’re a sinner. You’ve blown it. Heaven is perfect and you’re not.

But the Bible says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 NIV). And the apostle Paul tells us, “God says he will accept and acquit us — declare us ‘not guilty’ — if we trust Jesus Christ to take away our sins. And we all can be saved in this same way, by coming to Christ, no matter who we are or what we have been like” (Romans 3:22 TLB).

Believe in Jesus

The Bible says, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31 NLT). That means we believe Jesus is who the Bible says he is, and we trust him for our future with everything we have. Jesus said, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me” (John 14:6 NIV).

And our belief must be specific in Christ: “If you confess that Jesus is Lord and believe that God raised him from death, you will be saved. For it is by our faith that we are put right with God; it is by our confession that we are saved. . . . Everyone who calls out to the Lord for help will be saved” (Romans 10:9-10, 13 GNT).

Confess your commitment to Jesus

Tell Jesus you trust him with your life. Confess that you believe in him and his promises. Jesus said, “If you trust me, you are trusting not only me, but also God who sent me. For when you see me, you are seeing the one who sent me. I have come as a light to shine in this dark world, so that all who put their trust in me will no longer remain in the dark” (John 12:44-46 NLT).

Depend on God’s promises

You can rely upon God’s promise in John 3:16: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life” (NLT). No matter what you’ve done or how long you’ve done it, God promises that everyone who believes in Jesus will live with him in Heaven forever.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 am

“If they had wanted to, they could have gone back to the good things of this world. But they didn’t want to. They were living for heaven. And now God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has made a heavenly city for them” (Hebrews 11:15-16 TLB).

Heaven changes everything about how you live today. If you’re headed to Heaven (and after yesterday’s devotional, I hope you are), then that reality should impact how you live here on Earth.

Your value system changes. Instead of living for the here and now, you’ll live for eternity. You can also live knowing your future is secure. No matter what happens on Earth, you’ll spend an eternity with God in a place more amazing than anywhere you’ve ever been in this life.

So how should you live if you know your eternal destination is Heaven?

Don’t be distracted by temptation. “Dear brothers, you are only visitors here. Since your real home is in heaven, I beg you to keep away from the evil pleasures of this world; they are not for you, for they fight against your very souls” (1 Peter 2:11 TLB). You can be distracted by lots of things — both good and bad. Stay focused on what’s of eternal significance. Delay gratification. Our society tries to get you to do just the opposite. Stay focused on what’s ahead.
Don’t be discouraged by trouble. “So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever” (2 Corinthians 4:18 NLT). When you live in light of eternity, trouble just doesn’t bother you as much anymore. You know troubles won’t last forever, so you simply don’t give up.
Focus your energy on what will last. “Let heaven fill your thoughts; don’t spend your time worrying about things down here” (Colossians 3:2 TLB). Fulfill the purposes of God in your life. Live a life of worship. Build relationships with God’s people. Invest your time in becoming more like Jesus through discipleship. Serve others with abandon. Tell people about Jesus. Those activities last forever.
You were made for Heaven. If you’ve made Jesus the boss of your life, you’ll spend eternity there. Let that truth sink in for a moment. Then let it change your life.

Talk It Over

What temptations most distract you from matters of eternal consequence?
What are some “good” things that can distract you from what God wants to do through you?
What short-term troubles are causing you stress right now? How can focusing on eternity change your perspective on them?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls” (James 1:21 NLT).

We’ve all noticed that the reception quality on a cell phone varies widely. The same is true with you. You must be positioned correctly to hear God speak.

Sometimes we don’t give God a chance to talk to us. We’ve made up our minds. We want to do what we want to do, not what God wants us to do. Our hearts are hardened, and we’re unwilling to listen.

When you have a closed mind, of course he’s not going to talk to you!

But if you really want to hear from God — and what believer doesn’t? — you have to understand what is keeping you from hearing from God. Here are three mental barriers that keep your mind closed to God’s message.

1. Pride. If you think you don’t need God in your life and you want to handle things yourself, you’re probably not listening for God to speak. Pride keeps you from being open to the possibility that God might want to say something to you.

2. Fear. A lot of people can’t hear God because they’re afraid to hear God speak. Maybe you think that hearing God’s voice or sensing his leading makes you some kind of religious fanatic.

3. Bitterness. When you hold on to hurt, resentment, or a grudge, you’re not going to be able to hear God, because your heart is hardened. It has grown cold and made you defensive, even to God’s love.

Perhaps you have been hurt badly, maybe this week or even years ago, and you’re still holding on to it. I want to tell you that you’ve got to let it go. Not for another person’s sake, but for your sake. The resentment is killing you! Resentment is a self-inflicted wound that allows people from your past to continue to hurt you today. You need to let it go, not because they deserve forgiveness but because you need to get on with your life. You need to get rid of the bitterness, fear, and pride that keep you from hearing God’s voice and living out his purpose for your life.

James 1:21 says, “Get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls” (NLT).

“Humbly accept” means you let go of your pride and stop trying to figure it out on your own. This is the key to opening your mind and heart so that you can hear from the Lord.

Talk It Over

How do you hear God’s voice or sense his leading? In what ways has he spoken to you?
What changes do you need to make in your life so that you can get rid of the “filth and evil” and hear God’s voice?
Why do we sometimes equate hearing God’s voice with religious fanaticism?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Things that are seen don’t last forever, but things that are not seen are eternal. That’s why we keep our minds on the things that cannot be seen” (2 Corinthians 4:18 CEV).

Everything you see around you is temporary. The building you’re in, the computer or cellphone you’re staring at, and even your body will one day disappear from existence. Yet it’s what you can’t see around you that will last forever.

And those realities are what truly matter.

The Bible tells us in 2 Corinthians 4:18, “Things that are seen don’t last forever, but things that are not seen are eternal. That’s why we keep our minds on the things that cannot be seen” (CEV).

Spiritual realities are more real than physical ones. We need to focus on the spiritual ones — what’s really real. There are five spiritual realities all of us need to take to heart.

God made you to love you (see Jeremiah 31:3). God created you to love you, and he wants you to learn to love him back. This is the most important reality of life.
You were made to last forever (see Ecclesiastes 3:11). The evangelist Billy Graham, who passed away in February, talked about death this way: “Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God.”
God has prepared two eternal places. Both Heaven and Hell are real, literal places. They’re not just “states of being.”
You get to choose where you’ll spend eternity. You won’t accidentally find yourself in Hell one day. You’ll be there because you chose it or refused to choose Jesus and spend forever with him in Heaven. If you choose to make Jesus the boss of your life, you’ll spend eternity with him in Heaven. If you choose to reject him, you’ll spend forever in Hell. You have no middle option.
You get no second chances to make your choice. Your choice has a time limit. You have your entire life to make the decision, but you never know when your time on Earth is over. You can’t change your mind after death.
Nothing matters more than eternal realities. What you do with these five truths will not only affect your eternal destiny, it will also transform how you live on this side of eternity.

Talk It Over

Why is it important to keep your mind focused on the things that cannot be seen?
What are some spiritual realities you can focus on?
Why do you think God gives us our whole lives to make a decision about Jesus, but he doesn’t give us a second chance to decide after death?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:07 pm

If they had wanted to, they could have gone back to the good things of this world. But they didn’t want to. They were living for heaven. And now God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has made a heavenly city for them” (Hebrews 11:15-16 TLB).

Heaven changes everything about how you live today. If you’re headed to Heaven (and after yesterday’s devotional, I hope you are), then that reality should impact how you live here on Earth.

Your value system changes. Instead of living for the here and now, you’ll live for eternity. You can also live knowing your future is secure. No matter what happens on Earth, you’ll spend an eternity with God in a place more amazing than anywhere you’ve ever been in this life.

So how should you live if you know your eternal destination is Heaven?

Don’t be distracted by temptation. “Dear brothers, you are only visitors here. Since your real home is in heaven, I beg you to keep away from the evil pleasures of this world; they are not for you, for they fight against your very souls” (1 Peter 2:11 TLB). You can be distracted by lots of things — both good and bad. Stay focused on what’s of eternal significance. Delay gratification. Our society tries to get you to do just the opposite. Stay focused on what’s ahead.
Don’t be discouraged by trouble. “So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever” (2 Corinthians 4:18 NLT). When you live in light of eternity, trouble just doesn’t bother you as much anymore. You know troubles won’t last forever, so you simply don’t give up.
Focus your energy on what will last. “Let heaven fill your thoughts; don’t spend your time worrying about things down here” (Colossians 3:2 TLB). Fulfill the purposes of God in your life. Live a life of worship. Build relationships with God’s people. Invest your time in becoming more like Jesus through discipleship. Serve others with abandon. Tell people about Jesus. Those activities last forever.
You were made for Heaven. If you’ve made Jesus the boss of your life, you’ll spend eternity there. Let that truth sink in for a moment. Then let it change your life.

Talk It Over

What temptations most distract you from matters of eternal consequence?
What are some “good” things that can distract you from what God wants to do through you?
What short-term troubles are causing you stress right now? How can focusing on eternity change your perspective on them?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:08 am

The seeds that fell on rocky ground are the people who gladly hear the message and accept it. But they don’t have deep roots, and they believe only for a little while. As soon as life gets hard, they give up” (Luke 8:13 CEV).

During the springtime, all the grass in Southern California turns green, the wildflowers and poppies bloom, and it’s really pretty. But the moment the rains stop, the hills turn brown again. Why? Because the grass has no roots. It can’t go down deep enough to get water from the springs that are deep beneath the ground.

When there are no roots and a plant is in shallow soil, it may initially sprout and look good, but it doesn’t last. The plant withers quickly because it doesn’t have roots.

Luke 8:13 says, “The seeds that fell on rocky ground are the people who gladly hear the message and accept it. But they don’t have deep roots, and they believe only for a little while. As soon as life gets hard, they give up” (CEV).

A lot of times we hear God’s Word and get excited about it, but we don’t allow it to change us. We act superficially. We react emotionally. We’re moved impulsively. But we don’t take the time to let it sink in.

Do you really want to be that way? No! You want to be a deep person, not a shallow person. You want to be a person with deep spiritual roots so that when recession comes and lasts several years, you’re able to keep bearing fruit. When the rough winds come and somebody in your family gets sick or a close friend dies, the trial doesn’t blow you away, because you’ve got roots.

How do you develop spiritual roots? You do it by having a daily time with God and a weekly small group time with other believers. You’ve got to spend time alone with God, and you’ve got to spend time with other believers.

If you’re not spending time with God on a daily basis, you’re going to dry up and blow away when the pressure is on. You won’t be able to handle it. You’ve got to make time to listen during a daily time with God. You have to sit and be quiet. You have to read the Bible and talk to God. Play some music. If you like to journal, do that. Whatever it takes to keep the focus on God, do it!

You also need a weekly small group. Nobody has a complete perspective on life. Everyone wears blinders. The people in your small group can see things in your life you can’t see. That’s why we need each other! You learn from the people in your small group as you encourage each other and your roots go deeper.

Talk It Over

How can you change your schedule so that you spend more time with God?
On what impulses from spiritually high moments do you need to follow through?
Why do you think God designed us to do life together?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:29 am

“The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature” (Luke 8:14 NIV).

You can’t hear God if your mind is crowded with other thoughts or concerns — particularly worries, plans, and activities. If we’re always listening to the radio or watching tv, the circuits are going to be busy when God calls us. We have to eliminate distractions.

Jesus says in Luke 8:7, “Some other seeds fell where thornbushes grew up and choked the plants” (CEV).

The kind of soil with weeds in it was actually planted with a crop that begins to grow. But as it grows, weeds grow up around it, and the weeds begin to choke out the life of the vegetable or the plant, so it never bears fruit.

Here’s what Jesus says is the meaning of Luke 8:7: “The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature” (Luke 8:14 NIV).

There are three things that choke out hearing God:

Worry. Worries are weeds. When you’re so busy with the problems and pressures of daily living, it makes it harder to hear God.

Riches. You can be so busy trying to pay your bills, so busy trying to get out of debt, so busy trying to make more, and so busy making a living that you don’t make a life.

Pleasure. There’s nothing wrong with pleasure, but be careful that you don’t become so busy pursuing fun that you miss God and his plans for your life.

You don’t have to cultivate weeds. They grow automatically, don’t they? In fact, weeds are a sign of neglect. If you see weeds in your yard or garden, it means you’re not tending it. The weeds in your spiritual life reveal that you’re neglecting time with God.

When all the circuits are busy, you need to get quiet.

Talk It Over

What distractions in your life keep you from spiritual growth?
How can you eliminate those distractions?
How much of your day is spent in silence? What might change about your life if you made more time for silence and quiet moments?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:43 am

“The seeds that fell in good soil stand for those who hear the message and retain it in a good and obedient heart, and they persist until they bear fruit” (Luke 8:15 GNT).

God speaks to people who decide they’re going to do what he tells them to do, even before he tells them. It’s saying, “God, if you want me to move, I’ll move. If you want me to get married, I’ll get married. If you want me to leave this job, I’ll leave this job. Before you even tell me, my answer is ‘yes.’ Whatever you want me to do, I will do it.”

Luke 8:15 says, “The seeds that fell in good soil stand for those who hear the message and retain it in a good and obedient heart, and they persist until they bear fruit” (GNT).

I used to study this parable of Jesus and think it was talking about four kinds of people: those who are resistant, those who are shallow, those who are busy, and those who are good.

But this parable actually represents four attitudes. You can have all four attitudes in the same day! One moment you go, “God, I don’t want to hear you, because I know what you’re going to say.” And the next moment you say, “Lord, tell me quickly.” Then you hear it and think it’s good, but you don’t do anything about it. Maybe the fruit starts to appear in your life, but then you get busy with your job or school or your kids, and the weeds grow up. Then other times you say, “God, do whatever you want. I’m totally open to you.”

God wants you to have an attitude of obedience so that you can bear fruit — the biblical term for being successful. God wants you to be fruitful in your business, your family, your friendships, your relationship with God, your relationships with others, and your health.

So how do you bear fruit when God tells you something? You pass it on. When God tells you something, the quickest way to let it bear fruit in your life is to tell somebody else what you just learned.

Another version of Luke 8:15 says, “They listen to God’s words and cling to them and steadily spread them to others who also soon believe” (TLB). God wants you to pass on to others what you learn.

Talk It Over

How do you develop a “yes, God” attitude, where you’re prepared to be obedient, no matter what God tells you to do?
What is the evidence of fruit in your life?
With whom in your life can you share what God is teaching you?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:40 am

Bible Study Verses
Matthew 6:19-21
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (NIV)

Thoughts
My kids and I like to hike in the woods in the Spring after the elk have dropped their antlers. It's kind of like a treasure hunt to them, without the map. It's also a great time to teach the kids about God's creation. They have fun identifying tracks, rubs, scrapes and whatever else we can find out there.

After the antlers shed off, they are subject to the elements and critters. Squirrels, mice and other rodents love to chew on them to get their daily intake of calcium. The sun and weather will bleach them and break them down over time.
(Ron T)

Action Point
My pastor had a great illustration for eternity: He drew a little dot on the church wall. The dot represented our time here on earth. The rest of the church, inside and out represented eternity.

Salvation is a free gift from God, a treasure that will not rot and cannot be stolen. We are here for such a short time, yet it's what we do with His gift of a relationship with Him, our salvation, while we're here that determines where we spend all of eternity.

If you have never made Jesus the Lord of your life, I suggest that you do it now. Go to the Sportsman's Devotional web site, click on the "About Us" page, then on the Sportsman's Devotional.com prayer link. Jesus is coming back, and He said that He will reward each person according to what he or she has done. Read Matthew 16:27.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”