Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:09 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Timothy 6:17
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. (NIV)

Thoughts
Does God care that we have things to enjoy? Will He answer specific and personal requests? He can and He will! Because He is good, He gives us good things to experience.

A good bird dog adds greatly to the upland hunting experience. I asked God for a bird dog, with a particular color phase of German Shorthair Pointer in mind. God gave me Regal! My daughter adopted him from a pound. Regal was always hunting and pointing birds in her yard. They wanted him to be able to hunt; so she and my grandson gave Regal to me, fulfilling my prayer for a bird dog perfectly.

And what a gift he was! I asked for a bird dog, and my Heavenly Father gave me Regal so that I might enjoy him and pheasant hunting even more!
(Jack M)

Action Point
Give thanks to God for all things. Especially thank Him for the hunting experience. Thank Him for friends, equipment, places to hunt, the dogs, and the game itself.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord," Romans 6:23 (NIV).

If God is your Heavenly Father through faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, He will give you things to enjoy. Be sure to ask Him! He can and will answer prayers specifically and personally. He will give these things because He loves you!

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." James 1:17 (NIV).
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:12 pm

Truths the Devil Uses to Stop Us from Praying

The forces of hell will do anything to keep us from praying.

Satan tells lies to keep us from praying. He uses pleasures, misinformation, and our laziness to keep us from praying. He uses false teachers, busy schedules, and great television to keep us from praying.

He also has been known to use truth.

As odd as it seems, the dark prince does not hesitate to speak the truth if it will make us think we shouldn’t pray.

Here are ten true statements Satan uses to put a stop to the most powerful force in the world, the prayers of God’s people…

1–God already knows what you need. (So, no point in asking, he says.)

2–You are unworthy.

3–You are weak.

4–Your faith is small.

5–You have no idea whether God will answer your prayers or not.

6–You’re only one person. (True, says Satan, and so what good will your prayers be?)

7–You don’t know how to pray.

8–Your sins can block your prayers.

9–When all is said and done, you still cannot prove that what happened was an answer from God.

10–Faith is hard and difficult to identify.

He’s right, of course. But those statements–while biblical and completely accurate–don’t tell the whole story.

Let’s take a quick look at each of those ten “true” statements.

“God already knows what you need.”

In Matthew 6:8, Jesus said, “For your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.” And what did He do then? Proceeded to give us the Lord’s Prayer.

That God already knows my need is no reason not to pray; it’s just motivation to pray. Bear in mind that Matthew 6:8 merely says “He knows,” not that He is necessarily planning to do anything about your needs. “Ask and you shall receive,” the Lord said. And in another place, Scripture says, “You have not because you ask not.”

Everyone knew what the blind beggar of Jericho (Bartimaeus) needed. He needed his sight. But when he stood before the Savior, Jesus said, “What do you want me to do for you?”

There is power in asking.

“You are unworthy.”

Even though that is true–boy, is it ever!–it’s beside the point. Psalm 130:3 says if the Lord should mark iniquities, no one would stand. God is not dealing with perfect people. All have sinned; there is none righteous, no not one (Romans 3:10,23). The wonderful old hymn says, “Christ receiveth sinful men, even me with all my sin.”

So, being unworthy is no excuse. I love Psalm 103:14 which says “He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust.” The one who created us knows we are made of humble stuff. He is under no illusions about us. When we sin, the only one surprised is us. What a wonderful Savior we have. Not only does our unworthiness not disqualify us from asking, but He actually encourages us to admit that we are only unworthy servants (see Luke 17:7-10).

“You are weak.”

I am that. However, there’s good news. “He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for thee, for my strength is made perfect in your weakness…When I am weak, then I am strong” (2 Corinthians 12:9-10).

So, being weak is no more excuse than our being tall or short, slim or fat.

“Your faith is small.”

It is that. But in Luke 17:6 Jesus says even faith as small as a mustard seed can achieve miracles. So the question becomes not how big my faith is, but whether I use it. Jesus asked the panicked disciples, “Why did you fear? Where is your faith?” (Mark 4:40)

Having a small faith is no excuse. Like radioactivity, a little faith goes a long way.

“You do not know whether the Lord will answer your prayers.”

That’s true because He is all-wise and I’m not. I see through a glass darkly and pray just that poorly. That’s why in my prayers I say, “Not my will, but Thy will be done” (Matthew 26:39).

I’m perfectly content to send up my prayers and leave the answering of them to the Lord. What I must not do is announce presumptuously that the Lord “will” or “must” grant my prayer since His integrity is at stake. Psalm 115:3 says, “Our God is in the Heavens; He does whatever He pleases.” And knowing His wonderful, loving character, that’s what I want.

So, not knowing how He will answer is no reason not to pray. I trust Him.

“You’re only one person; what good will your prayers do?”

I smile at this one. This was my response when the Lord once asked me if I prayed for Billy Graham (who was in my office, sitting in the chair to my right at the time). I said (in my spirit), “Lord, people all over the world pray for Billy Graham, and I’m only one person.” The utter - of that hit me in that moment, and I almost laughed out loud. Do you know anyone who is two people? Three people? A crowd? Anyone praying is one person. Everything that gets done by prayer occurs because of this one person praying, and that one and the next one.

Thereafter, I prayed for Dr. Graham.

Being just one person is no reason not to pray. Otherwise, no one would!

“You don’t know how to pray.”

That’s frequently the case. However, we have Romans 8:26. “In the same way, the Spirit also helps us in our weakness. For we do not know how to pray as we should. But the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.”

Since the Lord takes my feeble attempts at prayer and turns them into something powerful in heaven, my not knowing precisely how to pray is no excuse. Believers take special satisfaction in knowing that in Romans 8:26 the Spirit intercedes for us and in Romans 8:34, Jesus intercedes for us. Wow. How good is that!

“Your sins can block your prayers.”

That’s exactly what Isaiah 59:2 says. “Your iniquities have separated you from God and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He does not hear...”

However–and don’t we delight in this!–“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us of our iniquities” (John 1:9). So, there is no excuse for any of us to go forward one more minute with sins weighing us down (Hebrews 12:1) and blocking our prayers.

“When it’s all said and done, you still do not know for certain God answered that prayer.”

True. Because, as we say, we do not know what would have happened had we not prayed. So, it’s all a matter of faith, and believing God. Believing that God is in control, that we matter to Him, that He is answering one way or the other.

“Faith is hard.”

Sure is. But every human on this planet lives by faith. Faith that the sun will rise tomorrow, that an asteroid will not end life on this planet, that the chef in the restaurant will not try to poison us, that the drivers in the other lanes will obey the laws and spare us, that the pharmacist will exercise extreme care, and that the surgeon will do his/her work well. Those who want to live their lives without faith are asking for something that never was and never can be.

There is no reason not to pray. And every reason to do so.

Jesus told the unbelieving Sadducees they were guilty of two mistakes, the same two, incidentally that many non-praying (so-called) disciples of Jesus practice: 1) You do not know the Scriptures, 2) nor do you know the power of God (Matthew 22:29).

If we knew the Word, we would have an answer to these attacks from the enemy.

And if we trusted the Lord, we would believe His Word and get on with the business of praying!

Beloved, let us pray.

Nothing tells the story of our faith like prayer. “When the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on earth?” (Luke 18:8)

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:14 pm

Bible Study Verse
Genesis 9:12-17 -- 12 And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: 13 I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. 14 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.” (NIV©)

Thoughts
God’s creation, especially mankind which He created in His image, is marvelous. Think about it, if God had not created our eyes the exact way He did, we would not be able to see the colors of the rainbow, which He also created in the exact way He did so we could see them. Every time I see a rainbow I think of two things, one is the obvious beauty of the sunlight shining through the prism of moisture that creates the rainbow. The second is, I remember these verses and that God promised that He would never again destroy the earth and everything on it by means of a flood. (Cliff S)

Action Point
I suspect that most of us have read these verses and thanked the Father for this covenant that he made with Noah, not to destroy the earth with a flood ever again. But, I also suspect that many of us stop there and don’t consider that this present earth will someday be destroyed again. So, let’s fast forward to 2 Peter 3:10 - “10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything done in it will be laid bare.” (NIV©). Yes, there will come another day of complete and utter destruction for our beloved planet, and it will be by fire. Don’t think so? Go to biblegateway.com and type in the word “fire.” The word appears three times in 2 Peter and eighteen times in the Book of Revelation, and none of the references bode well for men and women that do not put their faith and belief in Jesus. But, also remember Revelation 21-22 says that God will create a new heaven and a new earth where He will dwell with those that believe in Jesus for all eternity. Think about this, as beautiful as the present created earth is, there will be a new earth, and I suspect that it will make this old one pale in comparison. Want to go there and be with the Father? Put your faith and trust in Jesus today!

Sportsmen’s Tip of the Day
When God created the earth and everything in it He proclaimed that “It is good.” When you’re in the out-of-doors, share that proclamation with your friends and family. Don’t let the beauty of God’s handiwork go unnoticed.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:08 pm

Bible Study Verse
John 14:27
Peace I leave you, My peace I give you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, nor fearful. (NASB)

Thoughts
One of my favorite things is to hop in my 10ft Jon boat (usually with my wife) and troll around the lake. We typically go at sunset. It’s incredibly peaceful and it helps us to take an inventory of where we are at in life. We always come back refreshed and refocused. John L.

Action Point
Peace is one of the most sought after commodities in our world. When I was living in darkness apart from God, I rarely had peace. I was always searching for it but I was so worried about what others thought about me, or if I would get caught doing something I shouldn’t be doing, or if I would succeed in life in general. Now, when I’m anxious I have the opportunity go to God because he truly cares for me and I know that He has my best interest in mind. Because God is the author of peace, He gives us a peace that surpasses all understanding. Is there an area of your life where you desire to have more peace? How can you surrender that area to God today?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:40 pm

Bible Study Verse
God blesses those who work for peace, for they will be called the children of God. God blesses those who are persecuted because they live for God, for the kingdom of God will be theirs. MT 5:9,10–NLT

Thoughts
Today we honor the life and memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who was in reality a peacemaker during his brief 39 years of life. Peaceful co-existence was a term always associated with him in the 60’s. He lived and believed that hate cannot drive out hate, only love can. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence... in a descending spiral of destruction. So, when Jesus says, ‘Love your enemies’, He is setting forth a profound and ultimately inescapable admonition.
John the Baptist’s dad Zecharias prophesied about Jesus, that He would give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, and... guide us to the path of peace. Dr. King always tried to follow Jesus’ guidance, in walking that path of peace. His purpose was the same as the Lord’s–to end mistreatment and discrimination against anyone, regardless of color. In His early ministry, Jesus called peacemakers... blessed, and offered His followers a gift–peace of mind and heart from the Holy Spirit.

Action Point
God is no respecter of persons [ROM 2:11], and neither should the followers of Jesus be! And yet the NT church, made up of people who call themselves by His name, has seldom stood up peacefully for those who were being mistreated–as MLK did. Except for the Underground Railroad of the mid-1800’s, and a \ few churches who stood with people of color [black, native- American, and Jewish] in the 1900’s–followers of Jesus Christ have been largely silent, and thus complicit, in the evils of ethical or racial discrimination. James says [2:4], Doesn’t...discrimination show that you are guided by wrong motives? Not by God! Mr. King said, the church must be reminded that it is not the master nor the slave of the State, but the conscience. It must be the guide and critic...never its tool. If the church does not recapture its prophetic zeal, it will become an irrelevant social club, without moral or spiritual authority.
After all, Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan, and commanded us to be His witnesses [martyrs, completely dedicated lives] in Samaria [where the outcasts lived]. John saw a multitude [of believers] that no man can number, from every tribe, tongue and nation, worshiping the Lamb before His throne. [REV 7]
Fred B

Sportsmen’s Tip Of The Day
There are many ways to be a peacemaker along a stream, or in the woods: courteous and friendly greetings along the path or stream; not crowding the space of others on land or water; helping others to round up their lost hunting dogs; assisting other hunters in getting big game out of the woods; making sure that in the gun shop or in the field, no one is treated with anything less than the dignity that they reserve–respect, honor and courtesy.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:50 am

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 96:6 “Splendor and majesty are before Him, strength and beauty are in His sanctuary”
(NASB)

Thoughts
It wasn’t until I started hunting waterfowl that I saw a drake wood duck for the first time. I was blown away to think that God created something that beautiful. Even now, every time I see one, I’m reminded of God’s handiwork.
-John L

Action Point
What makes you stop and reflect on the splendor and majesty of Christ? Will you plan time this week to do that?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:50 pm

I was born and raised in the South. I have lived my entire life in small-town Mississippi. But I do not hunt. I don’t own a stitch of camouflage, and as far as I am concerned, I never will. It’s only recently that I’ve learned to use a firearm, and I’m still perfecting that skill. And to be honest, my learning to shoot a gun has nothing to do with deer or ducks or doves.

Now, my husband, on the other hand, enjoys hunting. He’s not a die-hard, crazed hunter, but when deer season rolls around in Mississippi, he becomes an avid participant in the sport. His participation – or should I say determination – went to a whole new level this past season. I saw a determination in him like I have never seen before. He was dead set (pun intended) on shooting a deer.

So any spare time he had, he would retreat to the woods behind his parents’ house with high hopes of bringing home some meat (which this Southern girl doesn’t eat – but that’s another story). Morning after morning, evening after evening, and even some afternoons, he would go and spend hours in the woods only to return disappointed and empty-handed. He would go when the weather was pleasant and when it was raining. One early morning, he went when it was a frigid three degrees.

I just didn’t get it. I thought to myself, What is the point? He is crazy to leave the warmth of his bed and a cozy home to sit freezing in the woods for the slim chance that he might see a deer. And on top of that, he had not even gotten a glance of a deer all season. There were plenty of deer on the game camera, but when he would actually go hunting, the woods were desolate. I had become convinced that there were not any deer out there at all. I was certain the game camera was in demo mode.

But, no, he was convinced there were deer out there, and he was determined to find one. So, for weeks on end, he would bundle up and head into isolation to what I called “the woods of desolation.”

Then finally, it happened. Last year, the day before hunting season closed, he got one! He shot an eight-pointer. All his determination, faithfulness, and consistency in seeking what he was adamant to find paid off. And he couldn’t have been happier. We all rushed to celebrate his big kill, his great reward.

And then it hit me.

You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart, (Jeremiah 29:13, ESV).

This verse pressed hard on my heart.

Now, I am one who runs hard and fast away from watering down the gospel. So I’m not trying to equate deer hunting with seeking Christ. They are two entirely different things with eternally different outcomes.

But I do believe there is a spiritual application to be considered here when it comes to how we seek Christ and how we find Him.

When it came to hunting, my husband was relentless, dedicated, determined, faithful, persistent, and consistent – all of which are necessary in our pursuit of Christ.

But what’s so overwhelmingly beautiful, yet often hard to understand, about this is that we are not left to our own devices to cultivate these things within our own hearts.

In Jeremiah 29:13, God is telling the exiles in Babylon that in order to find Him, they must seek after Him with all of their heart. God sets forth a condition. The condition of finding Him is seeking Him.

“But does that mean that we are left to ourselves to seek the Lord? Does it mean that our action of seeking him is first and decisive? Does it mean that God only acts after our seeking? … No,” said theologian and pastor John Piper.

Piper explains it in detail here.

Below is an excerpt from his explanation:

Listen to what God says in Jeremiah 24:7 to those same exiles in Babylon: ‘I will give them a heart to know that I am the Lord, and they shall be my people and I will be their God, for they shall return to me with their whole heart.’

So the people will meet the condition of returning to God with their whole heart. God will respond by being their God in the fullest blessing. But the reason they returned with their whole heart is that God gave them a heart to know him. His action was first and decisive.

So now connect that with Jeremiah 29:13. The condition there was that they seek the Lord with their whole heart. Then God will be found by them. But now we see that the promise in Jeremiah 24:7 is that God himself will give them such a heart so that they will return to him with their whole heart.

Thankfully God does not leave us alone to do the work – the seeking, the hunting – on our own. Instead, He gives us what is needed to find Christ – life’s greatest reward.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:44 am

Bible Study Verse
Romans 3:10-12
10 As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; 11 there is no one who understands; there is no one who seeks God. 12 All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." NIV

Thoughts
The old box call had been tucked away in a storage box and set aside. I thought it had become useless. It sounded good back in the day, but with excessive use and the purchase of new exotic wood box callers, it had been replaced. Recently, I decided to tune several old turkey callers—some slate calls, a few box calls, and a coffin box. After moderate sanding and liberal chalking, my Ben Lee Twin Hen box caller is back in action and sounds better than ever. I will be using it again! Andy D.

Action Point
Will God use sinners? The answer is yes—He has no choice, as today’s scripture states that no one is righteous, and we are all sinners. All mankind is sinful in nature, and we are in need of Him. Once you’ve repented (turned away from and rejected the old sinful nature), God will impute the righteousness of Christ to you. So, if you’ve done some things wrong in the past, don’t dwell on it and think that God can't use you; He can, and He will. Read up on the lives of David, Abraham, Moses, Paul, Rahab, and Peter: David had an affair, Abraham lied and offered his wife to a king, Moses murdered a man, Saul (Paul) hunted down Christians, Rahab was a prostitute, and Peter disowned Jesus. These are only a few examples of sinful and broken people that the Lord used mightily.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:32 pm

Bible Study Verse
“Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his property to them. To one he gave five talents of money, to another two talents, and to another one talent, each according to his ability. Then he went on his journey. The man who had received the five talents went at once and put his money to work and gained five more. So also, the one with the two talents gained two more. But the man wo had received the one talent went off, dug a hole in the ground and hid his master’s money.” Mathew 25:14-18 (NIV)

Thoughts
As believers in Jesus Christ, God has created each of us with talents and given us gifts to spread the gospel message to those around us. Some days, though, I find it easier to sit back spiritually and just watch as the world goes by. I can read my bible, listen to good music, go to church, and slip by undetected, not pursuing the opportunities that my Master has given me or using the talents He has given me. Todd H.

Action Point
What stops you from using the talents God has given you for kingdom purposes? What is God calling you to? Are you afraid of messing up, or feel unequipped? We serve a Good God. He will guide you and give you what you need for what he has called you to do.
“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me” Phil 3:12 (NIV). I am encouraged by Paul’s attitude; his pursuit of Christ is relentless. Let us not be content and lazy but faithful in what God is asking us to do.

Sportsman Tip of the Day
Be a mentor to someone in your life and share the talents God has blessed you with. Get to know their story, share your story, and create opportunities to add the Gospel message in all you do. It will be the most valuable gift you can share.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:12 am

Bible verses--For you know the grace [graciousness] of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, so that you through His poverty might become rich. Now to Him who is able to do exceeding, abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory...to all generations, forever and ever. [2COR 8:9; EPH 3:20,21--NKJV]

Thoughts
Having been a Christian for over 60 years, I've seen the Lord provide many times, just as Paul said He would. He has done so in the most unusual and amazing ways--through rich people, poor people, and no people. Pictured above is an awesome bow and arrows that were graciously given to a young special-needs teen who was with me in a bow shop. Harvest Archery in Dayton, TN, is a top-notch bow shop and range owned and operated by 3 strong young men of God. Tee [not his real name] and I had just brought in an old compound bow that had been given to him by another friend. We thought the bow might be usable for deer hunting. Alas, the diagnosis was that it was beyond repair and would be dangerous to use.
As we started to leave, Trevor called Tee aside and handed him a new bow, telling him to try it. We walked down to the indoor range, and Trev handed Tee some arrows, then gave him a quick bow lesson. Realizing Tee's handicaps, he patiently and with encouragement taught the young man how to shoot the powerful compound. Then, he gifted it to him, along with two dozen graphite arrows! Talk about exceeding, abundantly above! Tee went wild with excitement, and so did I! We thanked the guys at the bow shop, and then back in my truck, bowed to thank our Lord! Fred B.

Action Point
The Lord has never been late, seldom early, but always faithful in taking care of His people. All of God's gifts are gracious since we don't deserve His kindness, nor ever will. So, His graciousness by itself is awesome!
However, sometimes He goes way over the top--exceeding, abundant, above all that we ask or think. Those descriptive words fit His nature, His attributes, and His actions! Exceeding--El Shaddai, Lord God Almighty, all-powerful One. Abundant--Jehovah-Jireh, God our all-sufficient provider.
Above--El Elyon, Most High God! If He gives more than we ask, then we should ask bigger! If He gives more than we think, we need to adjust upward our thoughts of the greatness of our God!
That day at Harvest Archery in Dayton, TN, He went way over the top! To Him we give all the thanks and glory!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:38 am

Bible Study Verse
1 Samuel 7:12; “Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far the Lord has helped us.’” NIV

Thoughts
“The shadow of the needle covers my mine at 4 o’clock”, or words to that effect have been a popular “clue” to the Lost Dutchman’s Mine and one that I learned early upon arriving in Apache Junction, Arizona, circa 1970. The needle? None other than Weavers Needle in the Superstition Mountains of central Arizona. It's quite a landmark in the Superstition Wilderness Area.
In the natural world, we use landmarks every day. Mostly without conscious thought. In the wild, they become more important. After the shot we take note of a landmark near where we saw the game go down. In the wilderness, we orient our map and pick a landmark to keep us on course. Lonnie B.

Action Point
We have landmarks in our Christian walk also. Unlike the physical landmarks we use in our daily travels, these landmarks are more experiential in nature, and each one is to be individually experienced by every believer.

The Cross, of course, is where we started our journey and is always there to reorient us when the cares of this world push us off the path.

Water baptism is our declaration that we have died with Christ and have been raised to new life (Romans 6:4).

With Holy Communion (1 Cor 11:26-31) we “…proclaim the Lord’s death till He comes”. I consider it also a vital, reoccurring checkpoint in our walk. “But let a man examine himself…” (v28). Today we would call it a ‘deep dive’ into our relationship with the Lord. Some good reasons are listed.

Another landmark is Pentecost. In John 14:26 Jesus promised: “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.” (NKJV)
As I was proofreading this the Holy Spirit pointed out an interesting progression of repetitiveness. The Cross; Jesus died once for us.
Water Baptism: we are buried once with Him and raised to new life.
Holy Communion: in most churches, it is regularly scheduled/repeated, “For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup…” 1 Cor 11:26 (NIV).
Pentecost, we may ask the Holy Spirit’s help/guidance at any moment of every day, for He is always with us. And with each victory, we can say with Samuel; ‘thus far the Lord has helped us.’
So, check your landmarks, and stay on course, there is a great reward awaiting us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:11 am

Bible Study Verse
Revelation 9:20-21 -- 20 The rest of mankind who were not killed by these plagues still did not repent of the work of their hands; they did not stop worshiping demons, and idols of gold, silver, bronze, stone and wood—idols that cannot see or hear or walk. 21 Nor did they repent of their murders, their magic arts, their sexual immorality or their thefts. (NIV©)

Thoughts
Bad weather. It’s one of the number one killers in the out-of-doors with hypothermia being right at the top of the list. Cold weather that people aren’t prepared for can be and is oftentimes deadly. People imprudently (and often illegally) trying to cross flooded rivers, creeks, and washes isn’t very far behind. It seems that every year in my home State of Arizona we see warnings regarding impending inclement weather and still people go out where they have no business going. Then, they either perish or are rescued by brave first responders that risk their own lives to save people that can only be described as being foolish. (Cliff S)

Action Point
We are warned throughout Scripture that there is a time coming when horrible things will happen to those that remain here on earth, those that are not believers in Jesus. The Books of Daniel and Revelation describe these times in graphic detail. It saddens me that, even after experiencing these horrible disasters, God’s Word says these people will still not turn to faith in Jesus. As a believer, I have peace that I will be with Jesus and will not suffer these events. I hope that you will put your faith in Jesus now, yes, even today, and not be like the foolish people described in today’s passage. As the Apostle Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 6:2: “For he says, “In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.” I implore you, make today your day of salvation!

Pay attention to the weather. In today’s day of television, the internet, and cell phones there are many very good weather reporting services. Listen to them and don’t become a statistic!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:48 am

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 3:13-14
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. NIV.

Luke 9:62
Jesus replied, "No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." NIV.

Thoughts
The large vain gobbler was strutting and following a small harem of hens in my sight but well out of my shotgun range. He wasn’t paying attention to my calling or my old single-hen decoy. All the hens left the field, and the old tom stopped and turned for one last look in my direction. I gave him one final loud cut on my Twin Hen box caller, and at the same time, a gust of wind moved my decoy ever so slightly. This was all it took. The gobbler covered the 150 yards between him and me quickly. The mature bird made the ride home with me on this late April morning. If the old gobbler hadn’t stopped and looked back, he would have lived a longer life. Andy D.

Action Point
Looking back can get you in trouble. If you look back while driving, you aren’t looking at what’s ahead. Jesus uses strong words in His illustration in Luke 9:62. He’s referring to a farmer plowing and looking behind instead of staying focused on what’s ahead. The farmer who often looks back won’t plow straight rows; they will be crooked.

There are two points I would like to make about looking back. Number one: if you’ve sinned and truly received forgiveness—put it behind you, nail it to the cross, and don’t dwell on it because the Savior doesn’t. Number two: when facing a temptation, look straight ahead and keep your eyes on Jesus; He will guide you safely away from sin. Whatever you do—don’t look back. You could end up like the gobbler in my story. Also, consider what happened to Lot’s wife in Genesis 19:26, who looked back when instructed not to and became a pillar of salt.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:44 pm

Bible Verse
Walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is against the Spirit, and the Spirit desires what is against the flesh. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self-control. Against such things, there is no law. [GAL 5:16-18, 22,23--HCSB]

Thoughts
During my early years of deer hunting in West Virginia, we always returned to Dad's home on Brushy Run in Pendleton County. We ran the ridges for a week with many of Dad's childhood friends, most of whom were WW2 vets like my Pop. There was always friendly bantering about who was the best deer hunter or turkey hunter, and who could tell the tallest tale! But, most agreed that Billy Turner was the best shot. Every morning, he shouldered a beat-up bolt action Mauser 30-06, with no rear sight! Inwardly, I felt sorry for Billy having to hunt with that old rifle.
One day, I asked him why he didn't get it fixed or use a different rifle. To which he replied, I don't need the rear sight. Just slows me down as I swing on a running deer. And that was no exaggeration. Even with no front sight or scope, Billy still killed more deer than anyone in our group! He didn't learn to shoot in the Army, but had been blessed with amazing hand-eye coordination from early life. He was an instinct-shooter, much like Sgt Alvin York.
Fred B.

Action Point
Instinct refers to an innate, typically fixed pattern of behavior, in response to certain stimuli. It's basically the way that people naturally react or behave, without having to think or learn about it. [dictionary.cambridge.org] Paul cautioned the Galatians about the human or sinful instinct, that innate, natural, and automatic reflex action that came out of our old nature.
In his words, the flesh desires what is against the Spirit. always choosing wrong. He listed the wickedness that instinctively comes out of the flesh, and that list is wicked and dark--see vss. 19-21.
In stark contrast, Paul says that the new nature is instinctively led by the Spirit. Our new nature, under the Spirit's guidance, always produces the fruits of the Spirit, as listed in verses 22 and 23--all pure, good and Godly!
The nature of our instinct will clearly show whether the flesh or the Spirit are leading. Then, it's up to us to follow the Spirit, follow our Godly instinct!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:12 am

Bible Study Verse
Philippians 4:11
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. (NIV)

Thoughts
One of the things I like to do in December is hunt wild turkeys with a bow and arrow. The season falls right during muzzleloader deer season, so I lug both weapons to the woods just in case the turkeys appear. Getting a turkey with a bow takes patience and some luck because I’ve missed a few in my day. Sometimes they are just out of bow distance, so I watch, observe, and wait. Other days I’m just blown away by their colors and behavior, so I let them walk by for the next hunt. Enjoying the sunshine and being outside is the blessing, harvesting my quarry is the bonus. Rob D.

Action Point
Why is contentment in life one of our hardest challenges to endure and adopt? Sometimes, I think growing up in America has conditioned us to focus on that “next shiny object,” as they say. Anything we want or need is usually within reach or on the Internet and it can easily be ordered. In the verse above, Paul is talking to a group of believers about the blessings from the Lord and how he had learned through many challenges to trust the Lord and be content with the blessings in front of you. We are so easily distracted in our lives with that new bow, or new shotgun, or the next hunt, or a new boat motor. Maybe we all need to slow down and appreciate what we have been blessed with already. When you’re having “one of those days,” I would challenge you to quickly review your blessings and change your perspective. There is always something to be thankful for!

Do you have a gratitude list? I do and pulling it out and reviewing it during stressful days makes all the difference and changes my perspective. Start by making a quick list of what you’re thankful for in the outdoors, then add the other things close to you. Keep it on your phone or in your wallet for future reference.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”