Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:43 am

“Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away” (Luke 21:33 NIV).

Many times we wonder if an idea that came to us is an instruction from God, a deception from Satan, or just something we want to do. It is extremely important to recognize the difference and know how to discern God’s voice, because it can have eternal consequences.

A lot of evil gets blamed on God when people say, “God told me to do it!” The Bible says in 1 John 4:1, “Don’t always believe every message you hear just because someone says it is a message from God; test it first to see if it really is” (TLB).

God will never contradict his Word. Does that idea in your mind right now agree with the Bible? God doesn’t say one thing and then change his mind and say another thing. If he said it, it’s true, and it will always be true.

God is consistent. He isn’t moody. He doesn’t change his mind. He will never tell you to violate a principle that he’s already given in his Word, the Bible.

So the first question you need to ask is, “Does this thought line up with what God has already said?” If what’s in your mind contradicts something that God has already said in the Bible, then you know it’s wrong.

Jesus said in Luke 21:33, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away” (NIV). God’s Word is eternal, because truth never changes. If something was true 5,000 years ago, it was true 1,000 years ago, it is true today, and it will be true 5,000 years from today.

People might say, “God said it, I believe it, that settles it.” No! God said it, and that settles it — whether we believe it or not!

If God tells you to do something, then he’s never going to contradict it. The first question you must answer is, “Is this idea in harmony with the Word of God?”

Talk It Over

What do you believe God has been telling you to do?
Do those instructions contradict any part of the Bible? How do you know?
How can you develop a deeper walk with God so that you more easily understand and discern his instructions?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:25 pm

“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7 NLT).

If you feel overwhelmed or confused about a decision that you’re trying to make, you’re probably caught up in yourself and not listening for God’s voice. The Bible says, “God is not a God of disorder but of peace” (1 Corinthians 14:33 NIV). He is not the author of confusion. So if you’re feeling confused, guess what? It’s not God’s voice speaking in your life.

If you’re a parent, do you want your kids to feel pressured or confused when you ask them to do something? No. You want them to understand what to do and then respond in obedience. God the Father wants the same thing for and from us.

The only time pressure could be legitimate is if God’s told you to do something, and you keep saying “no.” Then the pressure does build. But there’s always peace when you say “yes” to what God’s asking you to do.

Satan wants to drive us compulsively, but God wants to draw us compassionately. Satan wants to take advantage of our compulsions and use them to drive our lives. But God is our Good Shepherd. He wants to draw us in toward himself and peace.

Peter Lord, a pastor I deeply respect, used to say, “Ninety percent of what God wants to say to you is encouragement.” If negative messages are all you ever hear from God, something’s wrong. The wires have been crossed.

If you feel like God’s told you to do something but you’re increasingly anxious because of it, then the wires are crossed. Something’s not right.

The Bible tells us, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7 NLT)

Talk It Over

What decision do you feel troubled or anxious or worried about? Do you believe this is something God told you to do?
Think about a decision you’re facing right now. What part of Philippians 4:6-7 are you already doing, and what part do you need to start doing?
What has God told you to do that you haven’t obeyed? What has been the effect?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:09 pm

“You will search again for the Lord your God. And if you search for him with all your heart and soul, you will find him” (Deuteronomy 4:29 NLT).

You’re not going to hear God unless you really, really want it. I’m not saying it’s an option. I’m not saying it would be nice. It is a necessity!

God doesn’t tell his dream for your life if you want to debate it. God doesn’t tell his vision for your life if you want to discuss it. God doesn’t tell you what he put you on Earth to do just so you can say, “Let me think about it.”

No! It’s got to be a necessity. You have to say, “I’ve got to know why I’m here. I’ve got to know what you want me to do with my life. I’ve got to hear your voice. I’ve got to have your vision.”

King David wrote in the book of Psalms, “My God, I want to do what you want” (Psalm 40:8 NCV) and “What I want most of all and at all times is to honor your laws” (Psalm 119:20 CEV).

David was passionate in his declaration that what he wanted most of all was to honor God. Being obedient and following God were not options for him. It was the only thing David wanted to do. He used phrases for seeking God like, “I long for it,” “I crave it,” “I hunger for it,” and “I’m like a deer panting for water.”

When you get that desperate, you’re going to hear from God.

A lot of people talk to God but never hear from God. For them, prayer is a monologue. But you can’t have a relationship through a monologue. What if I had married my wife and talked to her, but she never talked to me? That’s not a relationship. You’ve got to have a conversation. Just as important as talking to God in prayer is listening to God and letting him talk to you. How does that happen? First, you’ve got to want it more than anything else.

Deuteronomy 4:29 says, “You will search again for the Lord your God. And if you search for him with all your heart and soul, you will find him” (NLT). It’s guaranteed!

Talk It Over

What thing do you want most in life? How does your life reflect that longing?
How can you cultivate passion — or greater passion — for God in your life?
With what attitude do you usually approach God when you’re asking for direction? Are you prepared to respond in obedience?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:10 pm

Open my eyes, so that I may see the wonderful truths in your law” (Psalm 119:18 GNT).

The Bible is filled with countless examples of people getting God’s vision, including Isaiah, Jeremiah, Daniel, Hosea, Jonah, and Micah. Seeing God’s vision for your life is not a crazy thing. God often uses a mental picture to clarify the next step he wants you to take.

I don’t have to explain this to people who are visual thinkers. Maybe that’s you: When you read a story in the Bible, you can see that story in vivid Technicolor. When you read a book, you’re picturing the story in your mind the whole time.

But for the rest of us, it’s a little harder. I am not a visual thinker. I tend to think in words, not pictures.

So how do you get God’s vision if you’re not a visual thinker?

First, ask God a specific question.

In your quiet time, after you’ve read the Bible and prayed, just be quiet and wait before God. You could ask, “God, is there anything you want to say to me?” And then you wait. “God, is there anything I need to know that I’m not thinking about?” And then you wait.

James 1:5 says, “If any of you need wisdom, you should ask God, and it will be given to you. God is generous and won’t correct you for asking” (CEV). God wants you to ask him for advice, and he wants you to be specific. He’s waiting for you to ask!

Second, look into God’s Word to see what God might want to say to you.

Psalm 119:18 is a verse you should memorize: “Open my eyes, so that I may see the wonderful truths in your law” (GNT). It’s a good verse to pray as you open up God’s Word. Every answer to every problem you have is in that book. But you’ve got to read it, study it, memorize it, and meditate on it as you seek God’s vision for your life or even just for today.

Talk It Over

Why do you think it’s so hard to be still and wait on God and his answers?
What is keeping you from being still before God so that you can ask him questions and dig into his Word?
What vision has God given you? What do you think you’re supposed to do about it?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 pm

“Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace” (Matthew 6:6 The Message).

God isn’t going to speak to you if your life is filled with a bunch of noise. You’ve got to get alone, and you’ve got to get quiet. We call this a quiet time.

Jesus says it like this in Matthew 6:6: “Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace” (The Message).

Here’s the key to hearing God speak and getting his vision for your life: God wants to meet with you.

You need to realize you’re not waiting on God; he’s waiting on you. God made you to have a relationship with him. He wants you to spend time with him on a daily basis. He wants you to schedule a date with him every day. God is waiting.

Getting alone in a quiet place is pretty difficult today. I don’t know if you realize how much noise there is in your life. You’ve always got the radio on in the car or you’ve got earbuds in or Bluetooth turned on. Every waiting room, grocery store, and elevator has music. There’s very little time or space in your life that’s absolutely quiet.

If you’ve got kids at home, it’s even more difficult! But let me give you some hope. Susanna Wesley, one of the great women of history, had 18 children. One of her sons, John, founded the Methodist church and helped spread Christianity across America, and another, Charles, wrote more than 6,000 hymns.

How do you find time alone when you have 18 children? In her biography, it says that Susanna Wesley would sit in her favorite rocker every afternoon, and she would throw her apron over her head for an hour. Her kids knew that Mom with apron over her head meant, “No child bothers Mom or you face the consequences!”

Wesley said it was the prayers of his mom that shaped his life. You can find time alone if you are that desperate. Make time to be quiet and meet with the Lord.

Talk It Over

How much of your day is spent in silence?
How can you help your family understand your need for quiet time so that they can support you in it and not distract from it?
What effect can your consistent quiet time have not only on you but also on your family?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:21 am

Bible Study Verse
Genesis 1:31
God saw all that he had made, and it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning -the sixth day. (NIV)

Thoughts
When I'm out in the woods, the desert, or just out-of-doors anywhere, I am always amazed at the beauty and the simplicity of nature. Yet, at the same time, I also marvel at the complexity of all that is around me. And God saw that it was very good! I'm inclined to agree.

How could there be such a beautiful environment without a creator? I read how scientists want me to believe that this all came from nothing, just appeared, or random atoms just, over a gazillion years, accidentally came together. But, where did those atoms come from? There has to be a starting point to creation.

I love the story about the scientists telling God that they would create life from the dirt, just as He did. When they begin scooping up a bucket of dirt from the earth, God tells them to go make their own dirt! Yes, the world is beautifully complex, and could only be the result of an intelligent and creative designer, an ultimate God!
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The next time you field dress an animal, look at the complexity of that animal and the differences between species. I, for one, do not believe that I or the animals are the result of random "accidents".

God made me, and He made me in His image! It is very good!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:22 am

“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us — whatever we ask — we know that we have what we asked of him” (1 John 5:14-15 NIV).

Have you ever wondered if prayer really works? Maybe Satan has whispered to you, “Prayer is a waste of time. Forget it! Who do you think you are? What do you think you’re doing? God isn’t even listening.”

But here’s the truth: Prayer works because God is in control.

In fact, the basis of all miracles is God’s sovereignty. What does that mean? It means he is God Almighty, who has all power in Heaven and on Earth, so his purpose and his will prevail. We learn to trust his wisdom and his goodness. We learn about his loving nature and his generous character.

And we mature in faith as we understand that God has a better view of our circumstances than we do, and that he knows what is best for us. He can see our future, and we can’t. The Bible says, “But his plans endure forever; his purposes last eternally” (Psalm 33:11 GNT).

God’s unlimited resources are available to you. Twenty times in the New Testament it says, “Ask.” Isn’t it encouraging to know that things out of our control are not out of God’s control? You may not be able to change a situation, but you can pray and God can change it.

You may be thinking, “If I can pray and ask God to change things, and if God is really in control of everything, why don’t I get everything I pray for?” Here are three reasons:

God is not a genie

Just because we pray, that doesn’t mean we get whatever we want. If every prayer were answered, we’d be spoiled brats. If you’re a parent, do you give your children everything they ask for? Probably not. As an adult, you know what’s best for them. You can see the bigger picture. If we can see the bigger picture for our kids, how much bigger is the picture that God can see for us?

Sometimes Christians pray in conflict

Sometimes Christians pray for different outcomes, even though they’re praying about the same thing. Which prayer is God going to answer? God can’t answer every prayer in the same way at the same time.

God knows what’s best, and we don’t

The Bible says, “This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us — whatever we ask — we know that we have what we asked of him” (1 John 5:14-15 NIV). That’s how Jesus prayed: “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine” (Luke 22:42 NLT).

Prayer works. It isn’t a waste of your time. God is in control, and he wants to hear your prayers — he is listening!

Talk It Over

If you’ve ever wondered if prayer really works, how did God show you that he was listening and that prayer does work?
How can your prayers change, knowing that God is listening and that he will answer?
What does it mean to ask according to God’s will, as 1 John 5:14-15 says?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:24 am

“The Lord gave me this answer: ‘Write down clearly on tablets what I reveal to you, so that it can be read at a glance’” (Habakkuk 2:2 GNT).

If you want to hear God speak, you need to withdraw to a quiet place, wait patiently and expectantly, ask God to give you a picture of what he wants to say to you, and then write down God’s responses to your questions.

In the book of Habakkuk, the Lord commands the author to “write down clearly on tablets what I reveal to you, so that it can be read at a glance” (Habakkuk 2:2 GNT).

That’s how we got the book of Habakkuk. In chapter one, Habakkuk wrote down what he said to God. And in chapter two, he wrote down what God said back to him.

That’s also how we got the book of Psalms; many of those psalms came directly from David’s quiet time. David meditated on the first five books of the Bible, the Torah, and then he wrote down his thoughts, and they’re called psalms. In many of the psalms, he starts out with what he’s feeling and then ends up with what God says.

If your prayer life is stuck in a rut, and you tend to pray the same things over and over —“God, be with this person” or “Bless this food to the nourishment of our bodies” — then here’s what you need to do: Start writing out your prayers.

“What? You mean I don’t have to say them?” That’s right! Writing them down is a prayer. God can hear it in your thoughts. Just write it down.

Is it okay to write out a prayer and then read it? Of course it is. When you’re writing it, you’re praying. When you’re reading it, you’re praying.

This is called the spiritual habit of journaling, and it’s one that all Christians should understand and practice.

A journal is not a diary. A diary is about the things you did. A journal is about the lessons you learned — the mistakes you made and what God has taught you from those things.

Talk It Over

What are different ways of writing things down besides paper and pen that you’re more comfortable with?
What has God been teaching you that you can journal about today?
Start a prayer by writing down your answers to these questions: What attributes of God do you love? Who in your life needs God’s intervention? How do you need God to provide for you? What can you thank God for today?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am

“Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace” (Matthew 6:6 The Message).

God isn’t going to speak to you if your life is filled with a bunch of noise. You’ve got to get alone, and you’ve got to get quiet. We call this a quiet time.

Jesus says it like this in Matthew 6:6: “Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace” (The Message).

Here’s the key to hearing God speak and getting his vision for your life: God wants to meet with you.

You need to realize you’re not waiting on God; he’s waiting on you. God made you to have a relationship with him. He wants you to spend time with him on a daily basis. He wants you to schedule a date with him every day. God is waiting.

Getting alone in a quiet place is pretty difficult today. I don’t know if you realize how much noise there is in your life. You’ve always got the radio on in the car or you’ve got earbuds in or Bluetooth turned on. Every waiting room, grocery store, and elevator has music. There’s very little time or space in your life that’s absolutely quiet.

If you’ve got kids at home, it’s even more difficult! But let me give you some hope. Susanna Wesley, one of the great women of history, had 18 children. One of her sons, John, founded the Methodist church and helped spread Christianity across America, and another, Charles, wrote more than 6,000 hymns.

How do you find time alone when you have 18 children? In her biography, it says that Susanna Wesley would sit in her favorite rocker every afternoon, and she would throw her apron over her head for an hour. Her kids knew that Mom with apron over her head meant, “No child bothers Mom or you face the consequences!”

Wesley said it was the prayers of his mom that shaped his life. You can find time alone if you are that desperate. Make time to be quiet and meet with the Lord.

Talk It Over

How much of your day is spent in silence?
How can you help your family understand your need for quiet time so that they can support you in it and not distract from it?
What effect can your consistent quiet time have not only on you but also on your family?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:19 am

“Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act” (Psalm 37:7 NLT).

The reason why most people never hear God speak is that they never slow down enough to let God talk to them. Hurry is the death of prayer! You’ve got to slow down. You’ve got to be quiet. And you’ve got to wait expectantly.

The best way to do this is if you get up earlier, so you’re not rushed and you’re able to spend some time and start your day with God.

If I told you that tomorrow at 4 a.m. the queen of England, the president of the U.S., and the pope all wanted to meet with you privately, you probably wouldn’t even go to bed tonight. You’d take a bath — you’d probably take two baths! You’d go find an all-night barber or beauty salon, get a new suit or outfit, and get spiffed up. You’d be at the meeting 30 minutes early.

Guess what? The Creator of the universe wants to meet with you tomorrow morning! You don’t even have to get dressed up. You can be in your PJs. You don’t even have to leave your home. But you do have to plan an appointment. That means you have to stop doing something so you can start doing what God wants. You’ve got to decide what’s more important to you: another 30 minutes of entertainment or time with God every morning.

Your day is filled with lots of important responsibilities, commitments, and activities. But time with God is the most vital appointment that can appear on your calendar tomorrow!

Talk It Over

What difference do you notice in your life when you have a consistent, meaningful quiet time?
What person, activity, or commitment have you chosen over your time with God?
What changes can you make in your schedule and priorities so that you choose time with God over anything else?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:27 am

“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking” (James 1:5 NLT).

When we pray, we can claim the promises of God. Why do we do this? Because it helps us remember what God has promised. Did you know there are over 7,000 promises in the Bible? These promises provide the answer to all our needs and problems.

Prayer focuses our attention on God and helps us to see that he is bigger and more powerful than any of our concerns. And as we see God answer our prayers, our faith deepens.

Faith is the key that unlocks the door to God’s power.

Here are just a few of God’s promises:

“The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still” (Exodus 14:14 NIV).
“He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength” (Isaiah 40:29 ESV).
“But those who trust in the Lord for help will find their strength renewed. They will rise on wings like eagles; they will run and not get weary; they will walk and not grow weak” (Isaiah 40:31 GNT).
“Don’t be afraid, because I am with you. Don’t be intimidated; I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will support you with my victorious right hand” (Isaiah 41:10 GW).
“If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking” (James 1:5 NLT).
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9 ESV).
“It is the Lord who goes before you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or abandon you. Do not fear or be dismayed” (Deuteronomy 31:8 AMP).
“But my God shall supply your every need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19 MEV).
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me” (Psalm 23:4 NASB).
“You willingly forgive, and your love is always there for those who pray to you” (Psalm 86:5 CEV).
PLAY today’s audio teaching from Pastor Rick >>

Talk It Over

Choose one of the promises from today’s devotional, and write a prayer to God expressing your gratitude for his unfailing love and faithfulness. Talk to him about his promise, and tell him that you are trusting in him to fulfill his promise. Here’s an example:

God’s Promise

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:42 pm

“For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost” (Luke 19:10 NASB).

If you asked 50 random people, “How do you get to Heaven?” you’d get a lot of different answers. But most of them would be based on the idea that you can (and have to) earn your way to Heaven.

You’d hear things like, “Try to be good, and do your best” or “Do more good things than bad things in life.” Those ideas are all based on works, not grace.

But Romans 3:24 says, “All need to be made right with God by his grace, which is a free gift. They need to be made free from sin through Jesus Christ” (NCV).

God says that salvation is absolutely free to receive! You don’t work for a gift, and you can’t earn it or buy it.

This is the fundamental difference between Christianity and every other religion. Every other belief system can be summarized by one word: “do.” You do certain things to gain bliss, gain Heaven or some other kind of eternal reward, and gain God’s approval.

On the other hand, you can summarize Christianity in one word: “done.” Jesus Christ paid for our salvation on the cross, and now he offers his grace as a free gift. That’s why Jesus Christ, when he was hanging on the cross, stretched out his arms and said, “It is finished.” What’s the “it”? It’s our salvation — the plan to provide grace for every person who needs it.

We all have people in our lives who do not have a relationship with Jesus. They may include family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, and acquaintances. The Bible says to pray for their salvation. In fact, Jesus “wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:4 CEB), so when we pray for the salvation of an unsaved person, we are doing what pleases God.

We can trust that God’s love reaches everywhere and everyone. His power is limitless, and his forgiveness is endless. Your prayers for people who do not know the hope we find in Christ do not go unheard. Keep on praying, and don’t lose heart.

Talk It Over

What people are you praying for who don’t yet know Christ?
How can you thank God for those people’s presence in your life?
How can you pray for people who disagree with you or openly reject Scripture?
Here is a sample prayer for unbelieving friends:

“Lord, I know there are people who don’t have a relationship with you. Perhaps they know about you; they have heard your name. They just don’t you as their personal Savior. I pray that you would give them the courage to open their heart and mind and life to you. Lord, help them with their unbelief. May they learn to trust you and love you. Use me as a bridge to their belief. Keep me faithful in prayer.”

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:44 am

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 18:2
The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
My God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. NIV)

Thoughts
On a recent scouting trip right about dusk, something caught the corner of my eye. As I slowed down, I saw a mountain lion not twenty yards away from me. Even though he saw me, he continued to walk parallel with me.

Now understand I drive a pretty unassuming vehicle. As a matter of fact, it is downright unintimidating. This is probably why the lion could have cared less that I was there. He figured he could take me.

I thought to myself, "Wow! It is rare to see a mountain lion. Let alone a mountain lion with an attitude."

It wasn't until I actually got out of my car that he suddenly appeared startled. He looked at me, looked at my vehicle (which he had at least a hundred pounds on), looked at me again, and then trotted back in the direction from which he came.
(Brett M)

Action Point
I make fun of my little car as do most of my friends. But, I do take solace in knowing that it has seatbelts, airbags, and some sheet metal surrounding me. Many people subscribe to the bigger is better belief. Which is true, an F250 is going to provide better protection than a Yugo.

David says that God is our "shield"; a shield that protects us from our enemies. In a world filled with evil, we must pray daily that God will protect us and our families.

We must be diligent in protecting our children. That means talking to them every day, being involved in their school and their friends, most importantly being a parent first, and then a friend second. To do otherwise would be like letting them fly through life on a high speed motorcycle without a helmet. It is not a matter of "if", but "when".

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 am

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12 NIV).

There are four things we need to do when we are facing spiritual warfare in our lives:

1. Acknowledge the adversary. Satan is real (1 Peter 5:8-9). Why would God send his Son to fight what does not exist? The Bible says in 1 John 3:8, “The Son of God came to destroy these works of the Devil” (NLT).

When you’re being attacked, it’s proof that you’re a believer. The more you make an impact for God, the more the Devil is going to fight you. You never outgrow it; it just gets more intense.

2. Accept God-given authority. Most believers don’t understand about the authority they have against the Devil. Matthew 28:18-19 says we have all authority in Heaven and on Earth. Then Jesus says, “Therefore go and make disciples” (NIV). He transfers the authority to you and me. He does that because he’s given us a specific mission: sharing the message of Jesus as his ambassadors (2 Corinthians 5:20).

3. Put on God’s armor. When Paul wrote about the whole armor of God in Ephesians 6:11-17, he was in prison chained to a Roman guard. Paul used the Roman centurion as a model for spiritual armor. Paul says that just as the Roman soldier was properly dressed to do battle, we also need to be dressed for battle.

For instance, I will often pray, “Lord, I put on the helmet of salvation that will protect me from the thoughts the Devil will try to give me. I don’t want to think the Devil’s thoughts. I don’t want to think my thoughts. I want to think your thoughts, so that I may be a voice for you. I put on the belt of truth. Lord, I want to share the truth, not falsehood. I want to lead people into righteousness.”

4. Aim the artillery. The battlefield for spiritual warfare is primarily in your thought life (2 Corinthians 10:4-5). The weapons God gives you to use demolish arguments are humility, faith, truth, and praise. Take every thought captive!

Talk It Over

When you feel attacked by the Devil, what does your authority in Christ give you the power to do?
How does memorizing Scripture help you engage in spiritual warfare?
We’re told to “take captive every thought” (2 Corinthians 10:5 NIV) — what do you think that means?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:35 pm

“Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God — truly righteous and holy. So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body” (Ephesians 4:21-25 NLT).

To change the unhealthy habits in your life, you need people who tell you the truth. You’re not going to get well on your own; you’re going to need other people in your life. You’re going to need support. You’re going to need a small group. Change requires honest community.

You’ll never change some things in your life on your own — typically, the things that are the most difficult in your life and the things that you don’t want anybody else to know about.

You’re never getting over those things until you share them with someone. You don’t have to tell everybody. You just need to find one person who will trust you and whom you trust — someone who will be confidential, love you unconditionally, not be judgmental, and pray for you. Revealing your feeling is the beginning of healing.

This does not mean a small group where you get together on a superficial level and everyone is “fine” or “doing great.” You have to get to the level of maturity in your small group where you can say, “I had a tough week. Life stinks. Here’s what happened.”

“So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body” (Ephesians 4:25 NLT).

If you’re a believer, you’re also a belonger. You belong in the family of God, and every other believer belongs to you. You cannot become until you belong. You can’t become what God wants you to be until you belong in a group that’s going to pursue gut-level, honest community. Put away falsehood. Talk to your neighbor. Tell your friend the truth, because we belong to each other.

If you are serious about changing the deepest hang-ups in your heart and the deeply entrenched self-defeating behaviors in your life, you must face the fear of being honest. You’ve got to stop faking it. You’ve got to put away falsehood. You’ve got to be real.

You can go through life either pretending like you’ve got it all together or getting it all together. But you’ll never get it all together as long as you pretend you’ve got it all together. And you’re never going to get well, get healed, get rid of that area that’s hindering you in your life until you talk to somebody about it.

Talk About It

How would you describe your small group’s level of transparency? Are you “real” with each other?
What has been the result of pretending like you have it all together? How do you feel?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”