A CHFC Story

This forum has been established for the purpose of posting the names of service men and service women who are on active duty during our nation's war on terrorism.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Paul A Frederick
Starting Member
PKC Name: Paul A. Frederick
City, State: Laurel, IN
PKC Member Since: 08 May 2001
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $49
Cell #: 319-371-6362

A CHFC Story

Postby Paul A Frederick » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:08 pm

I was sitting here reminiscing today and I remembered something about Coon Hunters for Christ I thought y'all might enjoy.

As some of you may know, I grew up in the Flora Coon Club in Flora, Illinois. From the time I was about 12 or 13, the highlight of my summer was the PKC National Championship which moved to Flora in '96 or '97, I think. I made a lot of good friends and got to see a lot of great dogs work over the years guiding and helping out at the Nationals.

Every year Mr. Joe Brooks would come and set up a table for Coon Hunters for Christ at Nationals. During one year in particular, I got to know Mr. Joe fairly well and spent a lot of time hanging out at his table. I was a coonhunter, of course, but also a Christian and had surrendered to the call to preach the summer of 1997.

Mr. Joe was a great encouragement to me that year. Just the fact that he was willing to have adult conversations about God, the Bible, coondogs, and God's Will with a 13 or 14 year old kid meant the world to me.

I think Mr. Joe packed up his booth that Saturday evening after the casts were called out. I remember helping him carry everything out of the old 4H building we were using for headquarters (this was long before the much-needed remodel of the REA building that they use for major event HQ now). When we were done Mr. Joe reached in his truck and brought out a brand-new Coon Hunters for Christ hat and gave it to me. It was one of the classic ones I used to see guys wear a lot; maroon with a green bill (I think the bill was green) and white lettering with the CHFC logo. I literally wore that hat out and wish I had another like it.

Sorry for the long post, guys, but I'm sitting here today as an Assistant Pastor and preacher and, though God gets all the glory for any feeble attempt I've made at serving Him, I think Mr. Joe will get some credit when God is handing out awards for encouraging a coondog-loving kid to serve the Lord with my life.
Last edited by Paul A Frederick on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Frederick
Laurel, Indiana
319-371-6362

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: A CFC Story

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:47 pm

Great story Paul! Joe was the best!
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Sonny Phipps
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Carl R. Phipps Jr
City, State: Big Prairie, OH
PKC Member Since: 22 Jan 1994
Annual Membership Expires: 03 Jan 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $2,010

Re: A CHFC Story

Postby Sonny Phipps » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:22 am

A fond memory! Thanks for sharing
TREEBOUND KENNELS
GET DEEP OR GET BEAT!!!