Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Start with God — the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning” (Proverbs 1:7 The Message).

How do you become a great student?

Worship God.

The Bible says it like this: “Start with God — the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning” (Proverbs 1:7 The Message).

The apostle Paul once told Timothy that the problem with many people was they knew a lot — but not what was most important. In fact, Jesus told the religious leaders, “You have your heads in your Bibles constantly because you think you'll find eternal life there. But you miss the forest for the trees. These Scriptures are all about me! (John 5:39 The Message).

One day, after your life has ended, you’ll stand before God. It’ll be your final exam. It’ll be far more important than any exam a teacher or professor gives you.

At that final exam, God won’t talk about how you did in math or social studies.

He’ll ask, “Did you know me?”

How will you answer?

Talk It Over

How is it possible for many people to learn a lot yet still miss the true point of life?
How has your relationship with God made you better at learning in all areas of life?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Bible Study Verses
Joshua 4:4-7
So Joshua called together the twelve men he had appointed from the Israelites, one from each tribe, and said to them, "Go over before the ark of the Lord your God into the middle of the Jordan. Each of you is to take up a stone on his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the Israelites, to serve as a sign among you. In the future, when your children ask you, 'What do these stones mean?' tell them that the flow of the Jordan was cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it crossed the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. These stones are to be a memorial to the people of Israel forever." (NIV)

Thoughts
Trail markers are the key to backpacking success. My family has a game we play when we are out on a trail; and my guess is that if you've done some hiking, you've probably played it too. It's not a game that was officially declared or created, but just sort of evolved.

When we are hiking along, my kids often compete to be the first one to see the next marker. These markers, usually diamond-shaped, in a variety of colors, orange, green, blue, are most often hung about six feet off the ground on either side of a tree and can be easily seen from both directions. This allows you to move forward or go back the other direction if necessary. Many times the trail that we are looking for is overgrown, or there are animal trails that fork off the main trail so that one might appear to be the path we should follow. At times we've had to backtrack to the last marker so that we could get our bearings. Whatever the reason for the lack of direction, these markers help us to find our way.

Spiritually, I have many markers that I can look back on and know that God was working in me or my family. Because of these "landmark" times, I can rest assured that today, even if I don't always see the way clearly, I know that God has sustained me through this life's journey time-and-time again. All I have to do to be reassurred is to look back and see His grace and mercy in my life. I have confidence in Him because of these previous trail markers. These markers help me to press on.
(Dave M)

Action Point
The enemy has a way of putting doubt into the mind of a believer. In these moments when we lack faith, we simply turn back to the spiritual markers God has placed in our life and His Word, the Bible, and remember that He has been faithful to us. He desires the best for us. We must trust in Him.

If you are just getting started in your journey of faith, take it from someone who has been in some rough spots: God will sustain you through thick and thin!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 pm

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you” (Matthew 5:11-12 NIV).

When we follow Jesus, we will face trouble. The Bible says that’s guaranteed. You’ll be harassed, persecuted, rejected, and ridiculed because of your faith.

But that’s not the end of the story. The Bible also says that Jesus endured the torture of the cross “for the joy set before him.”

You, too, must focus on your future reward if you want to get through your temporary troubles.

Imagine the scene at the end of history. Everyone who has ever lived will one day kneel before Jesus Christ. Everyone will say, “Jesus is Lord.” Some will praise him because they’ve done so all their lives. Others will praise him in judgment to themselves because they’ve denied him all their lives.

Every professor who ridiculed you because of your faith will one day praise Jesus. Every friend who tried to convince you to abandon your faith will praise him. Every entertainer who made a mockery of his name will praise him. Every politician who opposed his ways will one day praise him.

The Bible describes it like this: “Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9-11 NIV).

Everyone will one day bow before Jesus.

At that time God will also reward you for staying true to him despite the harassment and criticism you face for your faith today.

Jesus said, “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you” (Matthew 5:11-12 NIV).

Whenever you face persecution, you’re in the same category as Daniel, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Moses.

Just like those great prophets of old, you’ll one day experience an eternity with God, full of unimaginable joy. The harassment, persecution, rejection, and ridicule you face now for Jesus’ sake won’t compare to the reward of eternity with God.

Talk It Over

When has harassment, persecution, rejection, or ridicule drawn you closer to Jesus?
What temporary troubles are you facing right now that are distracting you — or could distract you — from your future reward?
Why can keeping future rewards in mind help you deal with difficulties in this world?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm

“Let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near” (Hebrews 10:25 NLT).

These days you don’t have to go to church to watch a worship service. You can just stay home and see it online. You can stay in your pajamas, and make a late breakfast.

But the Bible makes it clear. “Let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near” (Hebrews 10:25 NLT).

And this is why you need a church family. This is why we need to gather as groups of believers who can live life together as we follow Jesus together.

Without a church family, you’ll drift when it’s tough to trust Christ. I can look back on my life and see times when, if I had missed a specific worship service, my life would have taken a radically different turn. And I’ve thought, “What if I’d skipped that service? What if I’d just slept in that day?” I would have missed something that changed the direction of the rest of my life. So if the church doors are open, I want to be inside.

A church is kind of like a campfire. In a campfire you’ve got all these red-hot coals. If you remove one single coal and set it far away, it will cool in a matter of minutes. The fire goes out, and the coal goes dark. But if you take a coal that’s lost its fire and put it back into the fire, it gets hot again. That’s the power of fellowship.

Now, I know there are times when we can’t make it to church, and we can be grateful that there are ways we can still connect, such as watching a worship service online or listening to a podcast. You may be too sick to come to church, or you may have times when you live hundreds of miles from the nearest church, such as when brave men and women serve in the military. You might even be serving the Lord in some remote region of the world.

In cases like these, it’s still important to stay connected as best you can with other believers, who can help you stay encouraged and faithful. And it’s important for people within our congregations to reach out to individuals who experience challenges in getting to church every week.

Jesus tells us in Matthew 18:20, “Where two or three have come together in my name, I am there among them” (GW). Let’s continue to pray and support each other, and “let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24 NIV).

Talk It Over

How has the support of a church family helped you stay faithful and encouraged?
How are you doing with meeting together with other believers?
What are some ways you can reach out to others who aren’t able to make it to church?
What are some ways you can help church members who are far away from home stay connected?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 am

Bible Study Verses
Psalm 121:1-2
I lift up my eyes to the mountains - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (NIV)

Thoughts
Mountains, they are majestic in their glory of God and His creation. This verse is not talking about the hills being our source of help. It is acknowledging that our helper is the Maker of the hills - none other than God, Himself. But, this verse did prompt my thoughts to go to hills of significance in the Bible:
The hill where the Sermon on the Mount was preached.
The hills where Jesus went to be alone and to pray.
The Mount of Transfiguration.
Especially, the mount called Calvary.
You see, our help does come from that hill, in the form of Jesus' death and His subsequent gift of salvation.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
The next time you're climbing a hill, burdened down by your pack, rifle, and maybe even the trophy you sought, imagine the burden Jesus carried up the hill to His crucifixion. Take time to give Him thanks for not turning back. Jesus was seeking us, you and me, to draw us to Himself and the Father.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

Daniel went at once to see the king and requested more time to tell the king what the dream meant” (Daniel 2:16 NLT).

When you’re asked to do something that’s impossible, you start by refusing to panic and by asking why. Yesterday’s devotional went over that.

But then you ask for more time.

Why? Your biggest temptation in the midst of crisis is to be impulsive. You’re typically not thinking rationally. You’re thinking emotionally. You want to make a quick decision.

But it’s more important to make the right decision than a fast decision.

A wrong decision is wrong no matter how quickly you make it.

So step back, take a deep breath, calm down, and talk to God.

Daniel did this when the king asked him to interpret a dream (after ordering the killing of the first few people who tried).

The Bible says, “Daniel went at once to see the king and requested more time to tell the king what the dream meant” (Daniel 2:16 NLT).

I don’t know if I could have done this as a teenager. Daniel went immediately to this powerful king and asked for more time.

Daniel didn’t procrastinate, but he didn’t make a rash decision either. He gives us a great model for dealing with a high-pressure situation.

Talk It Over

Have you ever acted rashly when asked to do something really tough? How did that work out?
Why is it so easy to procrastinate when you’re in a tough situation?
Who in your life needs to be reminded that taking your time in tough situations is important?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Pleasure In Weaknesses
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don't know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groaning's that cannot be expressed in words. (NLT) ( Romans 8:26 )

When we are confronted by our weaknesses it's easy to get discouraged. Take heart in this passage and know the Holy Spirit will guide us. The next time you encounter a weakness be comforted in knowing God is at work.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... RIQipOmm67

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:20 am

Wear Yourself Out
Don't wear yourself out trying to get rich. Be wise enough to know when to quit. (NLT) ( Proverbs 23:4 )

Do you know when to quit? Is enough really ever enough? Not only is wisdom important in quitting, but so is self-discipline. Isn't it financially true, just as you are about to reach quitting time something shiny and new comes along and becomes more important. Know when to quit, finish it out, and stay finished.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... l7ssJUBQAt

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:11 am

Peaceful Harvest
No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening - it's painful! But afterward there will be a peaceful harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way. (NLT) ( Hebrews 12:11 )

When you are training for a marathon, it's often helpful to have a coach guide and correct you. Waking up early in the morning, practicing in the rain, and enduring through the cold elements challenge your discipline. A coach keeps you accountable and ensures you stay on track. Yet, there is no feeling quite like finishing a marathon. When your Coach pushes your limits remember you are preparing for a marathon. It may be painful, but you can push through.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... lAnMFitrC6

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:23 am

I Have Given
Then God said, "Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant throughout the earth and all the fruit trees for your food." (NLT) ( Genesis 1:29 )

We are blessed with a God who provided for us from the very beginning. He still does today, when we have food in our cupboard. However, not everyone receives the same blessings you and I have. Let's share our blessings with others and provide for others as God has done for us. God sees this and brings you flowers every spring.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... i2l9lH6vCl

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:53 am

So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor” (1 Peter 5:6 NLT).

When you’re successful, it’s much easier to fall hard than it is to maintain your success. We tend to get proud and forget about God, and success crumbles when we do that.

If you’ve found yourself in that situation, the first step to take is absolutely critical.

The Bible says, “Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you” (Revelation 2:5a NIV).

If you’re getting proud, you must repent. That means you change your mind. You go from thinking one way about your life to thinking another way.

Why repent? Humility is a choice. We’re never told in Scripture to pray for God to make us humble. It’s something you choose for yourself.

The Bible says, “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor” (1 Peter 5:6 NLT).

Humility is a choice.

Here’s the difference between pride and humility. Pride is when I accept the credit for things that God and other people did through me and for me. Humility doesn’t mean thinking of yourself less. It means thinking of others and God more.

If you have experienced some success and are beginning to get prideful, then repent — today! Change your perspective about who you are and where your success comes from.

The Bible says, “For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted” (Matthew 23:12 NIV).

Talk It Over

How have you seen pride cause problems for someone you care about?
Do you seem overly susceptible to pride in certain areas of your life? Why do you think that’s the case?
Prayerfully consider: Do you need to repent from pride in your life?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:54 am

So then, Your Majesty, follow my advice. Stop sinning, do what is right, and be merciful to the poor. Then you will continue to be prosperous” (Daniel 4:27 GNT).

Too often when life is going well, we miss the warning signs of an impending fall.

Pride blinds us. So does the spotlight.

It’s why I tell people who’ve seen some success in life that they need to go home and change some diapers, mow their own lawns, and wash their own dishes. When you have some success, make sure you keep in touch with your roots so you don’t miss the warning signs of a fall.

Nebuchadnezzar’s life is a clear picture of this. God cared enough about this pagan king to warn him about what was coming his way in Daniel 4. The Lord didn’t just remove him from power. God gave him a dream, he brought Daniel to interpret the dream, and Daniel told Nebuchadnezzar what was going to happen and how to avoid it. Read it for yourself. You can’t get much clearer.

Daniel told the king, “So then, Your Majesty, follow my advice. Stop sinning, do what is right, and be merciful to the poor. Then you will continue to be prosperous” (Daniel 4:27 GNT).

Daniel gave him three steps: Stop sinning, do what’s right, and be merciful to the poor. Success would follow.

But the king missed the sign.

Is it possible you are missing one, too?

It could be conflict in a relationship. You’re just passing it off as the other person’s problem, but God wants to show you that you’re off track in some area of your life.

It could be a temptation you’re battling against because you’re continually putting yourself in a bad situation.

Maybe it’s chaos and confusion in your life. Both are signs you’re not well-connected to God. You’re trying to do life on your own terms.

And God’s trying to tell you through these warning signs: “Halt! Stop sinning! Come back to me!”

If you’re heading down the wrong path, God will warn you because he loves you too much to not give you a warning.

Talk It Over

What warning signs have you seen people miss? How have you seen them fall after missing the signs?
What kinds of warning signs do you think people miss the most often, and why?
How have you missed warning signs in the past?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:55 am

The Lord detests the proud; they will surely be punished” (Proverbs 16:5 NLT).

When it comes to pride, none of us is exempt from temptation.

For instance, success is one of the most important tests God gives us before he increases our responsibility, and if we become prideful, then we haven’t passed the test.

The Bible tells the story of one man who utterly failed this test: the Babylonian king of Daniel’s day, Nebuchadnezzar. By the time this pagan king was in his 50s, he was one of the most powerful men in the world.

But Nebuchadnezzar had a dream, and he needed Daniel to interpret it. As he recalled sharing the dream with Daniel, he said: “I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home taking it easy in my palace, without a care in the world” (Daniel 4:4 The Message).

That’s a great picture of what success does to us. Nebuchadnezzar didn’t sound like someone who was pursuing God. He sounded like someone who’s resting on all he had been given. He wasn’t using all of his success to make much of God. He was thinking about himself.

Check out the personal pronouns in another statement by Nebuchadnezzar. “Look at this great city of Babylon! By my own mighty power, I have built this beautiful city as my royal residence to display my majestic splendor” (Daniel 4:30b NLT).

Four times in one verse he used first-person language. Nebuchadnezzar was thinking of himself. He wasn’t being humble.

Pride is the root of all sin, no matter what the sin is. It got Satan kicked out of Heaven. God hates pride because it declares, “I’m God, and I don’t need God.”

The Bible says pride goes before destruction. If you keep reading about Nebuchadnezzar, you realize he was setting himself up for a major fall.

God’s Word tells us, “The Lord detests the proud; they will surely be punished” (Proverbs 16:5 NLT).

Pride puts you on the opposite side of God. But God is always for you, not against you, and he wants to help you pass the test of success.

Talk It Over

How have you seen pride ruin the lives of people you care about?
In what ways are you most tempted to show pride?
What is one specific way you can demonstrate humility this week?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:56 am

Bible Study Verses
I Timothy 4:7-9
But have nothing to do with irreverent and silly myths. Rather, train yourself in godliness, for the training of the body has a limited benefit, but godliness is beneficial in every way, since it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. This saying is trustworthy and deserves full acceptance.
(HCSB)

Thoughts
As with anything in life, the more you do, the better you become. I have been running saltwater charters along the Texas coast for ten years. I am a much better angler than I was last year; and, heads-and-shoulders better than when I began. I have matured, and with maturity comes confidence; and, with confidence comes more fish.
\
If you want to become more proficient in the outdoors, it takes time. Learn from mistakes; and, on that day when everything falls into place, ask yourself why you were successful.
(Bink G)

Action Point
We rarely have as much time to spend outdoors as we would like. Those who spend more time are usually more proficient than the weekender. Likewise, those who spend more time with God are more proficient in knowing and using the Word, and in hearing more clearly when the Lord speaks.

Many Christians are weekenders who only open their Bible and pray on Sunday. They are like those who hunt and fish only occasionally. Make time for God. Read and pray over His Word daily. Train yourself, be disciplined, give God time each day. You will be amazed how more skilled you will be in living life His way. Life becomes much easier when you give Him a chance.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:26 am

Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but a person is tested by being praised” (Proverbs 27:21 NLT).

God tests us with success.

Does that sound strange? You might have an easier time believing that God tests you with stress or suffering.

But think about it.

You’ve seen success ruin people. The young rock star gets everything she has ever wanted and then crashes and burns. The athlete signs a big contract and then parties away his future. A business grows bigger than anyone expected, and the owner becomes reckless with expansion plans.

We’ve read the stories.

As a pastor for more than 40 years, I can tell you that more people have been ruined by success than by suffering. Suffering tends to push people toward God. But when people are successful, they often forget about God.

For every person who can handle pain, you’ll find very few who can handle fame. The praise goes to their head, and it destroys them.

The Bible tells us in Proverbs 27:21, “Fire tests the purity of silver and gold, but a person is tested by being praised” (NLT).

In reality, every compliment is a test. Compliments and criticisms are a bit like chewing gum. You can chew on them awhile, but don’t swallow them. Both of them can really mess you up.

It’s so easy to forget God when success comes your way. But if you remember that your success comes from God, you will pass the success test every time.

Talk It Over

How have you seen people tested by success?
How have you been tested personally by success?
How do you deal differently with a criticism than a compliment?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”