Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:55 am

“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things” (Colossians 3:1-2 NIV).

As you work to become healthier, you may find stress pulling you away from your goals. The problems of everyday life often tempt us to make unhealthy choices out of convenience or as a temporary fix for handling stress.

But the truth is, problems will follow you the rest of your life. If you’re waiting for your life to be stress free, you’ll be waiting a long time!

Colossians 3:1-2 says, “Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things” (NIV).

Stress is a choice. We get stressed out when we choose to focus on our own limited resources instead of focusing on the unlimited resources available through our heavenly Father.

You’ll never get healthy by trying to overcome obstacles through your own willpower; it simply isn’t strong enough. Focus on the fact that God is big enough to get you through any challenges you face as you strive to get healthy and stay that way for the rest of your life.

PLAY today’s audio teaching from Pastor Rick >>

Talk It Over

What causes you the greatest stress? Why do you think that’s so?
How do you think God may help in this situation? What keeps you from letting him help?
How can you keep yourself focused on Jesus rather than your daily stresses?
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Bible Study Verses
Colossians 3:22-24
Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve. (NASB)

Thoughts
I finally got drawn for a trophy mule deer unit in Northern Arizona. My buddies and I labored long and hard deciding exactly where to go.

I bought a new scope, carefully cleaned and sighted in my rifle, tried various manufacturers' ammunition to see which performed best in my rifle; and then, of course, carefully recleaned my rifle. I bought a new pair of binoculars too!

We shopped for all the provisions we would need. One of my buddies spent two weeks pre-scouting the area for us.

We took the whole season off so that we could devote the entire time to finding the big buck.

One of our friends is a guide for the area, and he took us out on mule back. We hunted every nook and cranny, looking for our trophy.

I think you could safely say, we put one-hundred-percent effort into this hunt. But, we never found our trophy buck. I believe that one of the reasons that we didn't find it is that the buck was putting 100 percent of its effort into eluding us!
(Dave H)

Action Point
One of the best pieces of advice ever given me is that marriage is not a fifty-fifty proposition. That one thought revolutionized my thinking! Up till then. I thought it was 50/50. All I wanted out of my marriage was for my wife to do her half!

Who ever heard of going half-way on anything else we really want in life? I sure did not go 50-/50 on that trophy hunt! Think about this folks - there are times that, even when you and your spouse are both putting in 100 percent, you can hardly make it. Marriage is tough!

What if one or the other of you only puts in 50 percent? No, it just doesn't work that way. That is a recipe for disaster. Put in your 100 percent and then see what happens.

I have been married to the same woman for 35 years. Unfortunately, I was probably 20 years into the marriage before I was given this revelation about each spouse giving 100 percent. No wonder those first 20 years were so hard. I kept waiting for her to do her 50 percent. It's just a good thing she was already putting in 100 percent, or we would not have made it!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:00 am

"Test us for ten days,’ he said. ‘Give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare us with the young men who are eating the food of the royal court, and base your decision on how we look.’ [The guard] agreed to let them try it for ten days. When the time was up, they looked healthier and stronger than all those who had been eating the royal food” (Daniel 1:12-15 GNT).

When Daniel refused to be defiled by eating the food of King Nebuchadnezzar’s court, he presented the guard with another option: “‘Test us for ten days,’ he said. ‘Give us vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare us with the young men who are eating the food of the royal court, and base your decision on how we look.’ [The guard] agreed to let them try it for ten days. When the time was up, they looked healthier and stronger than all those who had been eating the royal food” (Daniel 1:12-15 GNT).

Daniel didn’t just eat haphazardly, accepting whatever was placed in front of him. He was intentional about what he ate.

When you think clearly about what you eat, God empowers you to continue to make good choices. Clear thinking leads to self-control.

By thinking ahead of time, you can prepare so that you won’t have a “food emergency.” This enables you to eat healthy meals and snacks that you packed ahead of time, and you won’t crash in the afternoon because you ate a greasy fast-food lunch.

Instead, you’ll be on top of your game, energized and ready to do whatever it is that God calls you to do. Being intentional, thinking clearly, and exercising self-control, will help you achieve your health goals and serve God well.

Talk It Over

Share three things you can do to think clearly and prepare in order to avoid a food emergency.
What time of day are you most likely to have a “food emergency”? How can you prepare for these times when you are vulnerable?
What changes do you notice in yourself when you practice mindful and intentional eating?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am

Bible Study Verse
John 17:4
I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. (NIV)

Thoughts
Jesus spoke these words to the Father just prior to His death. I think we can apply them in many ways:
To our employer - "Yes sir, I completed the task you gave me."
"Yes Dad, I cleaned the garage."
"Yes dear, I did the entire list of honey-do's you made for me."
To our Heavenly Father - "Yes, Father, I brought you glory by letting you live in and through me and by being the person you asked me to be, and I completed those things that you set out for me to do."
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Search your heart and determine what God is asking you to do. Seek His will and His guidance and ask Him what task(s) He wants you to perform to bring Him glory while you're here in this life. Then, go do them, completely!

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Set an example for those around you by following the game laws. It's one of the ways we can be good influences on our friends and family members, and it pleases God by showing our fellow sportsmen that when submitting to the law of the land, we are also submitting to God.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:59 am

“Give us today our daily bread” (Matthew 6:11 NIV).

Notice Matthew doesn’t say, “Give us today our weekly bread” or “Give us today our yearly bread.”

God wants you to trust him one day at a time. You don’t need to be concerned about tomorrow until tomorrow. You don’t need to be concerned about next week until next week.

This means you don’t have to stress about all the future steps necessary to get healthy. You just need to focus on what you need to do today. You can focus on succeeding at your health goals one day at a time. In other words, what will you eat today, and then focus on making it through the day. How will you exercise today, and then meet your goal for the day.

Jesus said, “So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today” (Matthew 6:34 NLT).

Talk It Over

What aspects of getting healthy do you tend to worry about? Why do you think that is? How might this be related to trusting God?
Why do you think God wants you to take it one day at a time?
Make a list of all your concerns related to your health goals. Now trim the list down to only those things you need to deal with today. Talk to God about them.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:02 pm

Bible Study Verses
Hosea 4:2-3
By swearing and lying, killing and stealing and committing adultery, they break all restraint,
With bloodshed upon bloodshed. Therefore the land will mourn; and everyone who dwells there will waste away with the beasts of the field and the birds of the air; even the fish of the sea will be taken away. (NKJV)

Thoughts
What's wrong with crime? This is a simple question with many answers. And, what about sin? In today's world, crime and sin can be two different things. Sin, such as killing and stealing are obviously crimes. Swearing and committing adultery, while not necessarily crimes, are certainly sinful.

So the better question might be, "What's wrong with sin?" According to the Bible, sin not only destroys individuals but it destroys the natural world around us. I'm reminded of Jesus' comment in Luke 16:10, "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much" (NKJV). If I am faithful in the things that pertain to me, such as guarding myself from sinful living, then I will be a better steward of the larger things that pertain to the good of mankind, like the natural world that touches me every day. This faithfulness includes following wildlife laws.

The only way we can be faithful to the life Jesus is asking us to live is to confess our sin to Him, receive His forgiveness, and profess that JESUS IS LORD. Every faithful steward takes this step. It's what makes one a Christian.
(Don H)

Action Point
For the Christian outdoorsman, stewardship of our natural resources should be one of many natural expressions of his or her Christian walk.

List the areas in which you are actively practicing conservation. What will you do to make your activity more effective?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 am

Is Received
So the promise is received by faith. It is given as a free gift. And we are all certain to receive it, whether or not we live according to the law of Moses, if we have faith like Abraham's. For Abraham is the father of all who believe. (NLT) ( Romans 4:16 )

God declares people righteous, blameless, and sinless, not because we do anything to deserve it, but because we choose to believe God is good. Anyone who chooses to believe in God's goodness as the perfect father and puts their faith in Him will be covered for their weaknesses. Abraham chose to believe and he was considered righteous. Days happen where we can never do the right thing, say the right words, act the right way, or we just don't feel good enough. Don't worry, your belief in God will cover you when you don't feel like enough.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... 0cNje5zaK3

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:15 am

“God gives rest to his loved ones” (Psalm 127:2b NLT).

Throughout the day, and when you sleep, your heavenly Father watches over you in love. Sleep is God’s gift, andto accept that gift is an act of trust. He restores your body and energy through sleep.

One of the hidden triggers to over-eating is lack of rest. When we’re overtired, we often try to boost our energy with caffeine or sugar or carbs, which ultimately leaves us more tired than before.

Trusting God, and prioritizing your sleep builds your faith. Why does sleep require trust? Because we tend to overload our schedules and think that we don’t have time to get the proper amount of sleep.

Jesus relaxed, and he never felt guilty about it. Even God took a day off after Creation. Who are we to think we’re too busy to get the proper rest? Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:28-29 NIV

Talk It Over

How might giving yourself the gift of a good night’s sleep help you meet your healthy lifestyle goals?
Jesus says, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:28-29 NIV). What longings stir in you when you read Jesus’ invitation to rest?
What do you need to change about your schedule and priorities so that you can make more time for rest?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:26 pm

“And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds” (Hebrews 10:24 NIV).

Real friends bring out the best in each other. They encourage and motivate one another to reach their goals. Friends who will cheer you on to success are a critical part of getting healthy.

There’s an old Zambian proverb that says, “When you run alone, you run fast. But when you run together, you run far.” The lifetime of healthy habits ahead of you is not a 50-yard dash. It is a marathon.

Marathon runners know there comes a point when you start getting a pain in your side that makes you want to give up. But if you have other people running with you, you can find the strength to continue to the finish line. The same is true in your journey to a healthier you. The only way you’ll achieve your God-given health goals is to have others involved in your life.

The Bible says, “We are many parts of one body, and we all belong to each other” (Romans 12:5 NLT).

Talk It Over

We all have different strengths when it comes to encouraging others. What are some ways you can encourage the people in your small group?
Why do you think it’s important to want your friends’ success as much as your own?
As you reflect on Romans 12:5, think about this: Who are the people in your life to whom you can easily reach out for help?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:51 pm

Wrongs
But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness. (NLT) ( 1 John 1:9 )

When you are confronted with your poor behavior how do you respond? Do you come up with reasons to blame the other person? Or do you return criticism and pull up past judgments? Neither of these reactions are valued and do nothing to further a relationship. Next time examine your role in the situation and own up to your wrongs. You will find forgiveness from Christ and others.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... ebCJXqCbcF

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 pm

Hear Me
O LORD, hear me as I pray; pay attention to my groaning. (NLT) ( Psalm 5:1 )

Do you ever struggle with feeling like you aren't heard by others or worse misunderstood? It's never a good feeling when a trusted friend fails to listen or hear you. Rather than getting upset and mad at them recognize their limitations. Accept them for who they are and don't try to change them. Turn to God to be heard and understood. He is always waiting for you to turn your heart to Him. Have your needs met by God.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... j5rdoepuLN

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:38 am

Bible Study Verses
Romans 8:19-22
For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, In hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. (NIV)

Thoughts
Like many outdoorsmen, I find myself longing for opportunities to spend time in God's great outdoors. At this point, I probably have too many outdoor hobbies for my own good:
A fishing trip to Canada sounds great.
Bow hunting for white tail, an adventure.
A backpacking trip, refreshing.
Turkey hunting in the Spring is a ball.
Each of these gives me a sense of freedom. When participating in any one of these passions, my heart comes alive.

I've often viewed these "creation escapes" as my way of getting back to the way things were intended to be - as they were in the Garden of Eden, pure perfection. However, God recently revealed this scripture passage to me. Now, I realize that leaving my imperfect daily world to escape to the perfect outdoors is actually a fallacy.

When Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden, not only was sin brought into the world, affecting mankind; but a curse was also placed upon the land, actually preventing it from being fully pure and perfect. I don't know how you look at it, but if God's amazing creation, as it stands, is not perfection, I stand in awe just trying to imagine how great God and His pure creation must be in heaven!
(Dave M)

Action Point
We need to make sure we are careful to worship the Creator of the creation rather than the "creation escapes," themselves.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:48 am

We will never turn our back on you; breathe life into our lungs so we can shout your name!” (Psalm 80:18 The Message)

The Bible says, “We will never turn our back on you; breathe life into our lungs so we can shout your name!” (Psalm 80:18 The Message)

Breathing is one of the few functions of your body that you do automatically — but it can also be done mindfully. When you remember to breathe deeply, you can actually clear your body and mind. By slowing your breathing, you can lower your heart rate and your stress level! Breathing is a powerful way to strengthen your body.

Mindful breathing is a reminder that your need for intimacy with God is like your need to breathe in air. King David sang, “I live and breathe God” (Psalm 34:2).

God can breathe new life into you and your efforts to become healthier. He says, “I will put breath into you and bring you back to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD” (Ezekiel 37:6b TEV).

Talk It Over

What does it mean to “live and breathe God”? Why is this significant to your success in getting healthy?
What does the truth that God can breathe new life into you mean to your efforts to become healthy and strong?
Taking five slow, deep breaths before you eat can help you eat less and enjoy the food more. Try this during your next meal. How does it affect the way you eat and the way you feel during and after the meal?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:16 pm

To Each Other
Don't lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds. (NLT) ( Colossians 3:9 )

We all lie at one time or another, whether it's exaggerating, spreading false words about others, or even impressing others with our false image. There's a problem though with these actions. When others see beyond the lie they begin to lose confidence in our word. It's important to live our lives authentically. Are there areas in your life where you misrepresent yourself to others? Come clean and own up to the real you.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... NstZbEz5WQ

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:55 pm

“Use your worldly resources to benefit others and make friends. Then, when your possessions are gone, they will welcome you to an eternal home …. If you are untrustworthy about worldly wealth, who will trust you with the true riches of heaven? …. You cannot serve God and be enslaved to money” (Luke 16:9-14 NLT).

It’s easy to give your time, energy, or money when you have a lot to spare. But the true test of generosity comes when you don’t have a surplus. Do you still give what little you have to help somebody else? If you do, congratulations! You’ve passed God’s test of generosity.

Why does God test your generosity? Because you were made in his image, so if you’re going to become like Jesus, you need to learn how to be generous. If you don’t, you’ll never grow to maturity, and you will never have the blessing of God on your life.

What if you’re in a recession and things aren’t going well — you’re out of work or you’re out of money, and you feel like you have no more time or energy to give. How can you be generous when you’re stretched thin?

A good example for us is in 2 Corinthians 8. Paul says this about the churches in Macedonia: “Though they have been going through much trouble and hard times, they have mixed their wonderful joy with their deep poverty, and the result has been an overflow of giving to others” (2 Corinthians 8:2 TLB). Joy and generosity always go together.

An acid test of how much you trust God is the way you handle your money, because it shows what’s important to you.

As a pastor, I want you to succeed financially so you can be generous, help other people, and do good in the world. So here are five principles to help you thrive.

Obeying God’s vision will bring God’s provision. When you say, “God, I’m going to do what you want me to do regardless of whether I have the money or resources to do it,” God will provide everything you need to get it done.
When you do all God tells you to do, he does what you can’t do. Give God whatever you have, however small it may be, and God will multiply it to do more than you imagined, just like he did with the five loaves and two fish.
God gives to generous people. The more generous you are, the more God will give you.
Whenever you have a need, you need to sow a seed. Whatever you need more of, give it away. In order to harvest a crop, you first have to plant the seeds.
There is always a delay between sowing and reaping. A harvest is not automatic. It takes time and patience.

Talk It Over

What is something God has called you to do but you’ve put it off because you think you don’t have the time or resources to do it?
How can you move forward in obedience to show God that you will do what he says and trust him to provide the resources?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”