Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Bible Study Verses
Colossians 1:15-18
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the Firstborn over all creation. For in Him all things were created: things in Heaven and on Earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. And He is the Head of the body, the church; He is the Beginning and the Firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything He might have the supremacy. (NIV)

Thoughts
Growing up as a teen and a young adult I was heavily influenced by a father who worked hard (still does) and hunted harder.

I came to love the outdoors so much, that the year I made a major career change in 1988, I had taken up to 2 months' vacation time solely to hunt. I lived it and could not be separated from it any more than you could separate my head from my body and I survive.
(Ruben C)

Action Point
Nowadays I still have a passion for the outdoors of course, but I'd have to say that I'm more attached to my family now than hunting. I am a father and there is no separating me from that role any more than you could separate me from my head and I survive (hmmm, I've heard that before!).

As Christians we are also part of a family and we belong to the body of Christ. The head of that body of course, is Him. You are connected to Him. It should be such a tight relationship that nothing should get between you and Him. I am certain that if my body separates from my head, death is imminent. Take the same attitude in your connection with Christ as you take strides to grow in your spiritual walk.

Sportsmens Tip of the Day
Remember when planning your hunts to also prioritize time with your wife and family first. Love them first with your attention and your time and you will have plenty of time for your hunts with what's left. You'll just have to step out in faith with this one!
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:28 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Thessalonians 5: 16-18
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Many of us would love to spend every day hiking, fishing, or hunting. We would love to always have enough money to pay our bills, and still have enough for the latest rifle, scope, fishing lures, gas, truck, ammo, out-of-state licenses, cabin, or camping trailer. But, this is not reality for most of us. Our days are not perfect. They are filled with financial burdens, not enough vacation time, family stresses, illnesses, and struggles. We live in a not so perfect world trying to live for Christ.

One deer hunt when I was about 14, my brother-in-law had killed a deer in the afternoon on the backside of a mountain that my family had deservingly nicknamed "Misery Mountain." This mountain had shale slides, cactus, and was so steep that one could stay standing and still lean against the mountain to rest. Everyone went to retrieve that deer with a burro, except my mother and me. We had the job of feeding the fire just in case those on the mountain did not make it back by night fall.

Just as the sun was going down, we saw our hunting party disappear over the ridge of Misery to retrieve the deer. We knew we were in for a wait. We had gathered our wood or what you can in the desert. The night was quiet as the darkness settled around us. We waited as long as we could to light the fire to preserve our wood supply. The night grew colder and the darkness grew thicker. Mom had hunted with dad since she was 17. She was a good sport and a great hunter herself.

She decided we would light the fire, but we also needed to hike with a small flashlight across a dry gully to another hill in order to gather more wood. At 100 yards from that life reassuring fire, we suddenly heard something crashing through the brush. Minutes later came the high pitched, spine-tingling scream of a mountain lion. Mom, with a quiet resolve stated it was time to walk back to that fire. Hours later we would sporadically see our hunting party's flashlight way up high on Misery. They were trying to save their light and would use it sparingly.

I Thessalonians 5:5-6 reminds us, "You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or to the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled," (NIV).
(Rebecca L)

Action Point
Mom and I were very alert waiting alone in that AZ wilderness. We felt much better when we made it back unscathed to our fire. It was even more reassuring when we could finally sporadically see a small flashlight beam of our hunting party maneuvering down that mountain. We didn't feel so alone.

That hunting experience is so like life. We can become so bogged down with making a living that we don't take time to see the "Light". God has sent us His Word as a light to light our path. He has a plan for our lives. It is up to us to be joyful, to pray for His guidance and protection, to be alert, and self-controlled. He will be with us in the scary unknown times. He offers His love and protection. All we need to do is believe and trust Him for His care.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Become familiar with your local fauna. You never know when your simple hunting experience will last long into the night. You can eat the leaves and roots of the dandelion in a salad or as cooked greens. You can also dry the whole plant and use it to make tea. You can also eat the shoots of Cattails. Before the flower forms, you can peel the shoots and eat them. Acorns have very low sugar content and are great in breads and stews. The Native Americans would grind acorns to make them into flour. Make sure you do not mistake a similar looking plant for the one you choose to eat. A field guide for edible plants is recommended.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Bible Study Verse
Luke 7:44-48
Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon,
"Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven--for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little." Then Jesus said to her,
"Your sins are forgiven." (NIV)

Thoughts
The story here is about the contrast between two broken people--one who didn't know he was broken, and one who did; one who didn't receive the forgiveness of Jesus, and one who did.

Sometimes we think our sins are not so bad if they're the sins everyone commits. Special sins--now they're the bad ones. But to Jesus, they're all the same; and because of the sacrifice He made on the cross, they're all equally forgivable. The good news starts with the knowledge that we are sinners, that we are broken. So, knowing that we are broken prepares us to meet Christ, the only remedy for our brokenness. (Steve S)

Action Point
Call a person a sinner and he will turn you off. He'll think you're telling him that you are better than he is. But tell him he is broken just like you are, and he'll know you care about him. Once a person admits he is broken and that he can't fix himself, he is in a place where he can receive the good news of undeserved grace and forgiveness in Christ Jesus.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:29 am

Bible Study Verses
Isaiah 35:3-7
Encourage the exhausted, and strengthen the feeble. Say to those with anxious heart, "Take courage, fear not. Behold, your God will come with vengeance; the recompense of God will come, but He will save you." Then the eyes of the blind will be opened and the ears of the deaf will be unstopped. Then the lame will leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute will shout for joy. For waters will break forth in the wilderness and streams in the Arabah. The scorched land will become a pool and the thirsty ground springs of water; in the haunt of jackals, its resting place, grass becomes reeds and rushes. (NASB)

Thoughts
I think I learned the love of the outdoors as much from my mother as from my father. They were not your typical outdoors type. We lived in what we called the "country" in Western Pennsylvania. We weren't poor, but we surely had no money.

One of my parents' favorite things to do was to go to the mountains - this would be up in Emlenton country - certainly not mountains from a Westerner's point of view, but they were mountains to us.

I can vividly remember one particularly hot, sticky summer day that mom took us wading in a mountain stream. It was wonderfully cold. Mom was so enthusiastic about it. She always carried a washcloth to wash us boys up with before the days before things like "Wet Ones."

Having lived the last 30 some years in the Arizona desert, my love of water and streams has increased more and more. There is hardly anything that I would rather do than to hike into a remote desert stream. You are so hot and thirsty by the time you get there that you think you will faint. Then you get to the stream and it is SO refreshing!
(Dave H)

Action Point
The Lord's Word can be as refreshing as a cool mountain stream. When I need to be refreshed, in addition to these verses from Isaiah, I frequently turn to the Psalms, passages such as Psalm 23 that many of us learned as children, "He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake," Psalm 23:2-3 (NASB). Leading me beside the water, whether still or not, always restores my soul!

Spend time in God's Word and become refreshed!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:31 am

Bible Study Verses
Ephesians 5:15-16
See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (KJV)

Thoughts
Anyone who has hunted for very long has come to understand the importance and value of the walk. To be a consistently successful hunter, one must walk well. Paying attention to changes in wind direction, looking for good cover to prevent long periods of exposure, and careful foot placement with each step are priorities.

When the walk becomes a stalk, paying attention to these priorities is usually the difference between success and failure. I have bagged several animals because others walked carelessly and I capitalized on their errors.
(Randy E)

Action Point
The Holy Spirit gives us the reason for walking as "wise" men and women of God: "So that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain," Philippians 2:15-16 (NASB).

So, how are you walking?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:44 am

Bible Study Verses
Matthew.5:13-16
"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this Earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage. Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand-shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in Heaven." (Message)

Thoughts
Here's another way to put it, "You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in this world. God is no secret to be kept."

When I think back to my years growing up, I was most attracted to men like you reading this article. Sportsmen, hunters, adventurers, and cowboys that rode rodeo & risked their lives, and especially if they had wall mounts of their conquests.

My Christian parents worried that their maverick, rebel, and renegade ways would influence me away from Christianity, but they didn't. Instead they opened my eyes to the God-colors of this big beautiful world and encouraged me to explore and to expand my horizons to discover all that God made available to us as men.
(Wes W)

Action Point
Most of us are dads, grandpas, uncles, employers, guides, husbands, and friends. There're young men watching and looking for a hero. You may not think you have much of a Christian testimony, but hero you do have an audience.

Be "the Man," be courageous, live the adventure, fight the battle, and win your beauty. Get the book Wild at Heart by John Eldridge; it will get you started.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:47 am

Bible Study Verse
I Peter 5:8
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. (NIV)

Thoughts
While I was hunting deer recently, a large black bear approached me. When he was still about 40 yds away, I leaned my muzzleloader against a tree and dug my camera out of my pack.

When about 12 ft. from me, he began to circle, getting inside of 8 ft. At that point, I realized that I had moved several steps away from my gun. If he had wanted to attack, I would have been in trouble. I tried to scare him off, but he wasn't about to leave. Throwing sticks at him, shouting, suddenly raising my arms and trying to look as large and as intimidating as possible seemed to make him more interested.

He studied me for almost five minutes. He had no fear; and I'm sure I could have moved closer--even close enough to touch him. Bear experts say that when a black bear attacks, it will approach very methodically, as if to size you up. In this case, he finally turned and walked slowly away.
(Steve S)

Action Point
When Satan approaches a believer, he is more dangerous than a black bear. He is looking for an opportunity to attack. He may circle or hang around for as long as he can. Keep your weapon handy; it's your best defense! The Word of God is more powerful than a two-edged sword. "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart," Hebrews 4:12 (NIV).

Interacting with evil is foolish and risky. Nothing good can come of it. Keep from evil by continually staying in touch with the Lord. Keep Him daily in your mind and heart; and keep His Word on your lips. The prayer that He taught His disciples says, "Deliver us from evil." So ask for His power to help you live in a way that pleases Him. It's your best protection against sin.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:53 am

This Far
Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? (NLT) ( 1 Chronicles 17:16 )

Have you looked back on your life to see how far God has brought you? Have you seen the protection of your family? The Lord has been good to you. Even though you have come through some tough times, the Lord has brought you very far. Go on, take a look back. Humble yourself before the Lord.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... fNO0atYnpz

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am

Your Mess
But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God. (NLT) ( Psalm 146:5 )

Where do you turn when your life turns into a mess? How do you pick up the pieces? A mess is always easier to clean when you have someone helping you. God is just waiting for you to invite Him into your mess.
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... YCm5tgiqjS

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:12 am

Go Away
And the crowd began pleading with Jesus to go away and leave them alone. (NLT) ( Mark 5:17 )

As a result of Jesus healing a man, some livestock was lost. The nearby town refused entry to Jesus, fearful they would lose more income and security. Are you unconcerned with helping others because of what it might cost you? As the day goes by, we should be on the lookout for how we can positively affect others. Wouldn't it be tragic to be a resident in the town that has too much to lose, refuses to help you, and turns Jesus away?
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... bQ1nZAKC42

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 am

Good News!
Let me now remind you, dear brothers and sisters, of the Good News I preached to you before. You welcomed it then, and you still stand firm in it. It is this Good News that saves you if you continue to believe the message I told you—unless, of course, you believed something that was never true in the first place. I passed on to you what was most important and what had also been passed on to me. Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said. (NLT) ( Doesn't it seem that bad news is all around us? It's always the top story on the news or the main headline in the paper.

But as believers, we know the best news we could ever hear… and we celebrate it this month.

Easter is the day we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the grave. This is the event that conquered sin… it conquered death… and it made it possible for you and me to have a personal relationship with God!

Perhaps, today, this is the first time you've ever heard or understood this Good News.

If so, I want to tell you something: Jesus died on the cross for you. He wore a crown of thorns and was nailed to a tree because He loves you… and He wants to have a personal relationship with you today.

Will you accept this Good News today?

For more from PowerPoint Ministries and Dr. Jack Graham, please visit www.jackgraham.org )

Doesn't it seem that bad news is all around us? It's always the top story on the news or the main headline in the paper.

But as believers, we know the best news we could ever hear… and we celebrate it this month.

Easter is the day we celebrate the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ from the grave. This is the event that conquered sin… it conquered death… and it made it possible for you and me to have a personal relationship with God!

Perhaps, today, this is the first time you've ever heard or understood this Good News.

If so, I want to tell you something: Jesus died on the cross for you. He wore a crown of thorns and was nailed to a tree because He loves you… and He wants to have a personal relationship with you today.

Will you accept this Good News today?

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:18 am

Bible Study Verses
Luke 12:18-20
"Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store my surplus grain. And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of grain laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry. ' " "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?" "

Thoughts
A cemetery that carries my family surname? I made it a point to stop, look around, and see if any names were familiar. They were not. So they must not have been close relatives. Though there are many spellings of my last name, these folks spelled it just like I do.

It was a sobering reminder that I will have a place where my own name will be on the tomb stone. I must make sure I live so that God will prepare a place for me to join Him for eternity.
(Jack M)

Action Point
Live with a view toward forever. That is what eternity will be. Forever! The word eternity may be defined as "an eon of eons." An eon is a really long time! Wow!

The farmer in the story from the above passage thought he was doing quite well, thank you very much! But, God called him into account. God says he was a fool as he thought he was in control and in charge of his own destiny. In his mind he did not need God, or others. He had plenty and it went to his head.

Don't make the mistake of thinking this life and the time here on this earth is all there is. Eternity is real. Prepare to live with God forever by personal faith in His Son Jesus.

After that issue is settled then live like a believer. Let the attitudes and actions of Christ characterize your lifestyle.

I love this epitaph from an actual tombstone. "Under the sod and under the trees lies the body of Jonathan Pease. He's not here, there's only the pod. Pease shelled out and went to God."

What a funny way to say that here is a man of faith! What will be written on your tombstone?

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
When God blesses you, bless others. Make sure that "giving" is a part of your outdoor plans. Take someone into the outdoors who may not otherwise get that chance. Consider mentoring a young person whose folks are not interested in the outdoors. Pass on this great legacy. Give!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:22 am

Knows God
Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. (NLT) ( 1 John 4:7 )

Being able to love others is a result of God in your life. It's not talking about romantic love either. Choosing to love someone in spite of their weaknesses or being generous to those without is the kind of love mentioned. As a child of God, do you take action and choose to sacrifice yourself and love others?
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... SfVGl3Sxpr

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Least Expected
You also must be ready all the time, for the Son of Man will come when least expected. (NLT) ( Matthew 24:44 )

Ever had a pop quiz where a teacher surprisingly hands out a quiz without any notice? If you have been studying and following along then you find yourself prepared for the unexpected. The same is true for Christ's return in that we have no way of knowing when it will happen. Are you making choices and living in a manner that means you are prepared for the unexpected return of Christ?
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... 4au0zaz4c5

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 pm

For You
We always pray for you, and we give thanks to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. (NLT) ( Colossians 1:3 )

You are being prayed over as a reader of this devotion. Sometimes it's a prayer for your spiritual growth and other times it's for protection. This is done not for personal gain, but as a child of God you are cared for and loved. Enjoy your blessings today because you yourself are considered a blessing.

http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... DkPoIYF2sR

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”