Daily Devotional

This space is provided in honor Joe Brooks and Coon Hunters For Christ. The PKC membership is happy to pray for you in a time of need.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Ronnie W. Stark
City, State: Water Valley, MS
PKC Member Since: 30 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,480

Re: Daily Devotional

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Bible Study Verse
Daniel 9:9
To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him. (NKJV)

Thoughts
Christmas Eve, 2014, one of the best friends I've ever had passed from this life. His family and my family were inseparable during my growing-up years. We laughed, cried, hunted, fished, cooked and grew together. But there was one major difference between our families, my family was rooted in Christianity and his was not.

I remember one muggy Arkansas summer evening when my friend was staying at our house. My Dad took him into a room and shut the door. For an hour or more, Dad told my friend about Jesus and the fact that mercy and forgiveness belong to the Lord. I wish I could tell you that my friend accepted Christ that night. But he didn't. Instead, he simply told my Dad that he appreciated his concern, but that he wasn't ready.

My prayer today is that Dad's words took root and my friend changed his heart before Christmas Eve 2014.
(Brian H)

Action Point
How many friends and acquaintances do we allow to pass from this life without Jesus Christ? How much time and compassion would it take to share Jesus with them?

A renowned secular atheist entertainer tells an interesting story. From his account, he was on stage after a show when he was approached by a Christian. This person was very kind and very gracious. This person complemented the show and made some small talk. Then, the Christian simply handed him a tract on how to become a Christian and walked away. There wasn't a sermon or any slamming of him because of his beliefs; just a tract, a thank you and a handshake.

The entertainer says of this encounter that he would never change his views and that he would always be an atheist. However, he spoke of this Christian with the highest regard and he said something that has stuck with me. He said, "How much do you have to hate me to not share your faith or your religion with me? This Christian was so kind and so considerate. I respect that."

If this unknown Christian can give a tract to a performer that is a known atheist, then why can't we seem to muster the courage to share our faith with those closest to us? Mercy and forgiveness belong to our Lord and it's His will that we share this fact with those around us.
This is how we know what love is, Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:57 pm

Bible Study Verses
Luke 19:9-10
And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost." (NKJV)

Thoughts
Lost! That moment when you realize that you don't know your way and you're not in control. Your heart beats faster, your palms begin to sweat, and you must fight the urge to run. Lost! That moment when you frantically check your pockets for a compass or a GPS but, to your chagrin, you realize that those were left in the truck. Night is setting, cold is coming, fear is gripping, panic is rising.

Then, you see the beam of a light bouncing from tree to tree on the ridge above you. You jump to your feet as you hear something miraculous. You hear a voice call your name. You rush toward your rescuer with reckless abandon. You fall over logs and trip over rocks, but will allow nothing to keep you from going to that one who is searching for you.

Finally, sitting breathlessly at the feet of your hero, you hear those words. "I came to find you."
(Brian H)

Action Point
Lost. That word tends to strike a chord of fear with us doesn't it? Whether you've lost your keys, you're lost in the woods, or are referring to someone who is not a Christian, the word brings with it a negative connotation.

In the case of being lost in the woods, you could possibly stumble around and find your way back to civilization. But, in the case of not knowing Jesus, there is absolutely no way to find your way to a right relationship with God. The Bible says that we all have fallen short of being able to attain favor with God and reach Heaven. God knew that long ago and sent His Son, Jesus, to seek after us.

He's there. He's calling. He's looking for you. He came to find you. Will you run to him with reckless abandon?

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
There are stacks of photo albums in my house and at my parent's house. These contain so much history, including pictures of first deer, first fish, first squirrels, etc. These are irreplaceable. A good idea is to take those old pictures and scan them (or have them scanned) to make a digital backup that can be stored in a fire proof safe or online. Those memories can't be replaced.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Bible Study Verses
James 3:8-10
But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so. (ESV)

Thoughts
While in the zoo in Wichita with my family, we witnessed this hippopotamus in his area. I was amazed at the size of the animal. More amazing was the size of this open mouth! No wonder they can do such damage. And we understand that in the wild they are one of the most dangerous creatures one can encounter.
(Jack M)

Action Point
What about our mouths? Some people seem to talk a lot, or gossip, sharing things that they should not, and we call them "big mouths."

But our scripture today calls attention to what proceeds from the mouth, our words. It speaks of people who say one thing and do another. It speaks of people who claim they love God, but do not live up to their profession of faith.

Their words are inconsistent with what they profess. Their words often depend on who they are with and what they are doing.

The Holy Spirit can use the Word of God, the Bible, to impact us and help speak only words that edify and build up others and that honor God.

Yes, we all mess up here. But, we can all work on it. When we do sin with our mouths, and use improper, offensive, or unclean language, immediately ask forgiveness of God, and then ask forgiveness of the person or persons who heard what was said.

In this new year I will work on this. Will you?

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
Say what you will do. Do what you say. Let's be consistent examples as we can be. This is especially true in front of young people. Let's do the right things, say the right things, and live consistently with what we say we believe. It is important to keep our word to others. It is extremely important to our young people that we do what we say we will do.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Bible Study Verses
Proverbs 27:23-24
Know well the [a]condition of your flocks, and pay attention to your herds; For riches are not forever, Nor does a crown endure to all generations. (NASB)

Thoughts
A new year is here, bringing with it hope-filled resolutions - possibly ones that include outdoor challenges, and some that may fall unresolved before the first month of 2017 is over.

Nevertheless, it is a great time to review our life, both the physical and the spiritual. The Bible warns us in many places that we need to be diligent with all that we have, and, of course. this includes our finances. In Bible times, a person's flocks were the source of his wealth. It was the equivalent of having money in the bank. When Solomon tells us to know well the condition of our flocks, he is telling us to know our financial condition.

We are also told that we are to be generous. Knowing our financial condition can allow us to be generous. I say can, because generosity is still more a matter of the condition of our heart than our pocketbook.
(Dave H)

Action Point
Everyone needs to have a budget and learn to live on that budget. This is a wonderful time to sit down with your family and develop a budget for the year. Making the budget a family planning event will do wonders.

You will, of course, include your hunting and fishing trips in the budget. The family can see how much it will cost for your outdoor trips so they won't be surprised by it when the time comes. Don't try to hide it from them. Include them! Plan the family vacation around the hunt.

When you develop your budget, be sure to include your gifts to the Lord in it. The Bible tells us to plan on what we are going to give to the Lord. Don't make it a last-minute, haphazard thing. Making a plan on how much you will give to the Lord is another way of showing praise and honor to Him.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 am

New Strength
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They will soar high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary.  They will walk and not faint. (NLT) ( Isaiah 40:31 )

Come one, come all, everyone who is tired. If you are exhausted and feel heavy like you've been hit by a truck, there is hope. You will once again soar. It is time to look to the Lord and trust Him to rejuvenate you. Give rest to your body and He will give you the endurance you need to continue.
Download this app to get your daily devotions: http://jctrois.com
http://www.jctrois.com/dailybibledevoti ... P9EJV2Fu6d

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:31 am

Bible Study Verse
Psalms 91: 5
Fear nothing-not wild wolves in the night, not flying arrows in the day. (Message)

Thoughts
In the movie, 300, the enemy, the Persian Empire, tries to provoke fear into the outnumbered 300 by saying, "Our archers are so many, our arrows will block out the sun."

I love the response of one of the 300, with laughter he responds, "Then today we fight in the shade!"

What a manly, fear nothing attitude. I want to always have a quick fear nothing response that honors my God, a response that makes HIM bigger and provokes courage into those around me.
(Wes W)

Action Point
I can more readily relate to wolves and arrows as an outdoorsman. But God is promising so much more in this story. Not just harm from the outside, but also the inside, pestilence, disease, plague and disaster. Psalms 91:7 reminds us, "Even though others succumb all around, drop like flies right and left, no harm will even graze you," (Message). Verse 10 declares, "Evil can't get close to you, harm can't get through the door," (Message).
I'm choosing to believe God's promises and speak them out over my wife and grandchildren, even my tent. Verse 10 "Harm can't get through the door," (Message). It's just a choice. I'm making to speak faith building words of strength and encouragement.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 am

Bible Study Verse
Proverbs 25:28
A man who does not control his temper is like a city whose wall is broken down. (HSCB)

Thoughts
For a couple years in a row, my family and I had searched an area for an old military fort. It was located where there was a good population of quail and javelina; and whenever we were hunting around there, we would always take time to look for it.

I think each of us had conjured up in our mind's eye great images of all the treasure the fort might hold. So, it was rather surprising when we finally located it, but all that remained were some crumbled old rock walls and much debris. You could see that at one point it had been a large establishment that housed two companies of the 14th Infantry. Now it is nothing but a few ruins.
(Brett M)

Action Point
These walls were constructed in the late 1800's to protect the military from Indians, most presumably Tonto Apaches. However, without constant attention, they now have fallen into decline and are no longer able to fulfill their mission.

King Solomon tells us in the book of Proverbs that a life without self-control will not be able to complete its mission. If we do not establish and maintain spiritual boundaries in our life, we leave ourselves open to attack from the enemy.

Our personal boundaries, walls of self-control, need constant maintenance. Seek that maintenance by reading God's Word, praying, and through other committed Christians.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:12 am

Bible Study Verse
Psalm 63:1
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; my soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. (NASB)

Thoughts
Most of my adult life has been spent in desert environs in a land where there is no water. This was not always the case. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania where there is an abundance of water. There were so many good fishing spots that your biggest problem was deciding which lake or stream or river to go to!

I can remember so vividly the first trip back home after living for many years in the desert. Green! You just wanted to try and drink in all the green! It felt so good to the eyes just to see all that luscious green.

Much of the Middle East and of course Israel is a dry and weary land where there is no water. David was thoroughly familiar with these barren spaces and how they can zap the soul right out of you. He had no air conditioning, no refrigerator to go get a cold glass of water from and no ice cubes! He really understood thirst when he said, "My soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you."
(Dave H)

Action Point
Have you ever felt the way David did? How you almost feel physically weak and sick because of the need for God in your life? You feel like you are lost in a desert with no water, wandering aimlessly, and trying to find something to drink before you expire. The sun is beating down on you with no relief, no shade, and no shelter.

I have been in the literal desert extremely hot and thirsty. I have also been in that dry and weary spiritual place. In the latter case, it is always because I have left the safety of the Lord, never because He has left me.

Run after the Lord! Drink Him in like a glass of refreshing water. Taste and see that He is good!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Bible Study Verses
II Peter 3:17-18
Therefore, dear friends, since you have been forewarned, be on your guard so that you may not be carried away by the error of the lawless and fall from your secure position. But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen. (NIV)

Thoughts
During a hunter education class a father came to me and shared a problem. His child had a javelina hunt one week after the class was over and was having issues with the recoil from the .308 Winchester he wanted her to shoot. I told him that I'd spend a little time with her on range day and see if we could work her through the problem.

After our class range day was over I sat down with the girl and started working with her one on one. As we got started her Father and another gentleman were standing next to her talking about the .308 and how hard it kicked and how it would hurt to shoot it. I finally had enough and looked at them and said, "Go away!"

Once they left and quit putting thoughts of fear into her head, I had her shoot a .22, then a .223. She was OK with both. Then, it was time for the .308. She followed my instruction to hold the gun tight. She shot it with no problem.

At that point I made a comment that became the pivotal moment in the process. I told her that the gun had moved her about four inches, about the same as it would have moved her Dad.

Whoa! A smile came on her face and she asked me, "Really?" That was the turning point. She was over the recoil problem and shot several more rounds all with very good form and accuracy.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
Young Christians sometimes get discouraged because of all the rules they are told they are supposed to follow. It's especially true if they're hearing about everything in their life that they have to change, give up, or can't do.

This passage instructs us to be cautious of the rules of men. We're to follow Jesus and Jesus only. We're also to grow in our faith and in the grace and knowledge of Christ. That happens when we get into the Bible and read and study what Jesus is all about.

Jesus Himself said it well, " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself,' " Luke 10:27b (NIV). You'll never go wrong following those two rules. Jesus said that, too!!!

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:20 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Kings 3:14
"And if you stay on course, keeping your eye on the life-map and the God-signs as your father David did, I'll also give you a long life." (Message)

Thoughts
The above desert bighorn sheep petroglyph is high on a mountain by some natural water collecting rock holes, similar to a bath tub. I just reasoned from those long ago signs that some Indian while waiting to ambush supper when the sheep came to water, would hide under cover while drawing on the rocks. I put that in my memory bank in case I ever want to hunt one. Thanks for the sign fellow hunter.
(Wes W)

Action Point
This was God's promise to Solomon. Instead of asking God for riches, honor, and long life, he asked for a discerning and God-listening heart. Now as a man a few thousand years later I can grasp that, reason it, and apply it to my life today. I will follow the God-signs.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Samuel 17:50
So David triumphed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone; without a sword in his hand he struck down the Philistine and killed him. (NIV)

Thoughts
All of us have at least one hunting buddy that has absolutely everything for camping and hunting or maybe we are that guy. Whenever we see something in a magazine that we don't have, or maybe something in somebody's gear box that we think we can't live without, we just have to have that item to be a "successful" hunter!

I have a friend that I am in competition with over which of us can collect the most camp stoves. We both met our match the other day when he found a garage sale where the guy's wife must have been running the show. He took a photo of at least thirty two-burner camp stoves that were stacked up and for sale.

Sometimes in my Christian walk, I feel like that guy- that if I don't have the latest Bible, or enough Bibles, the right tract, tape, or special message, that I am not prepared to share Jesus with my friends. But, look at what David used to kill Goliath, a sling and a stone. David didn't wait until he had grown up more, until he knew how to fight better, or until he could use a sword or a spear. David went out to serve God with what he had and God made it adequate. I've always loved verse 48 of this passage where it says that David ran to the battle line! David knew that God would be faithful, and that God had given him what he needed to serve Him at that time and in that circumstance.
(Cliff S)

Action Point
When you're feeling inadequate in your Christian walk, that you aren't properly prepared to share Jesus, be assured, that is from the enemy. Satan wants you to cower in fear from sharing your faith. But, remember David. Use what you have at that time. Call on God for His wisdom and strength. God will give you the words you need for any and every situation, just trust God.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:09 pm

Bible Study Verse
Joshua 4:21-24
He said to the Israelites, "In the future when your descendants ask their parents, 'What do these stones mean?' Tell them, 'Israel crossed the Jordan on dry ground.' For the Lord your God dried up the Jordan before you until you had crossed over. The Lord your God did to the Jordan what he had done to the Red Sea when He dried it up before us until we had crossed over. He did this so that all the peoples of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God." (NIV)

Thoughts
My wife's passions are her horses and trail riding. In the past 38 years we have ridden many back country trails and followed cairns, small piles of rock set to mark the trail. Today the Forest Service uses small blue diamonds tacked to trees along the trail.

The older method of marking with stones is still used, especially on unmapped trails or the older less traveled trails. Recently I found cairns over two feet high, stacked by an energetic soul. They still all serve the same purpose, the way.
(Byron S)

Action Point
Rock pillars or cairns date back to Moses' crossing the Red Sea during the Exodus. Rock pillars, thought to be set up by King Solomon, mark the crossing site. They represent what God did for His people.

Another analogy that I thought of is stones of remembrance are to point and show us the way. I have discovered is that every page of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments, point to Jesus Christ, The Way.

Genesis 5 holds the prophetic stones that reflect genealogy from Adam to Noah which spell out the Gospel:

Adam=Man
Seth=Appointed
Enosh=Mortal
Cainan=Sorrow
Mahalalel=The Blessed God
Jared=Shall Come Down
Enoch=Teaching
Methuselah=His Death Shall Bring
Lamech=The Despairing
Noah=Comfort

In sentence form it reads "Man (has) Appointed Mortal Sorrow; (but) The Blessed God Shall come down Teaching, (and) His death shall bring The Despairing comfort."

Take time to read and study your Bible. You will be amazed at the stones of membrance that you will find. I guarantee it will keep you on the trail.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:11 pm

Bible Study Verse
Luke 12:24
Think about the ravens. They don't plant or gather crops. They don't have any barns at all. But God feeds them. You are worth much more than birds! (NIV)

Thoughts
God's existence, goodness, and provision for all creation is evident in His care of animals and birds. Instinctual actions and reactions protect wild creatures from danger.

I witnessed a hen pheasant fake an injury from a cycle bar mower to protect her young. I thought she was hurt. She crawled away from me, dragging a wing, walking lopsidedly, and pretending to be severely hurt. She would attempt to fly as I got closer, seemingly able to fly only a few feet. After I was about 50 yards from where my efforts had begun, she sprang into the sky, flying away completely uninjured. She had pretended to be injured in order to lead me away from her young.

God instilled that ability into her genetic code to protect her and her young. His goodness is manifold, yet He says that you are more valuable than they are!
(Jack M)

Action Point
Pause to think about how God provides for you - clothing, shelter, food, medical care, health, and things to enjoy! These things tell us that God places immense value on all human life.

He values us so much that He provided a Way for us to spend all eternity with Him in Heaven. That Way is found singularly in Jesus Christ. Psalm 46:10 encourages us to "Be still, and know that I am God."

Meditate on God's providential care of all creatures. When on stand, take time to reflect on how it all points back and gives glory to God who is the Creator. Thank God for His goodness and providential care of yourself and all created things.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Bible Study Verses
II Kings 6:15-17
When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. "Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?" the servant asked. "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed, "Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see." Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. (NIV)

Thoughts
I love lookouts! There's nothing better than going through mountains and finding a spot where you can see for miles upon miles. You can stand on a cliff's edge and look to the next mountain, see a river meandering its way through a valley, look down on a soaring eagle that used to be flying above you. These vistas give a more complete picture of what is fully there, and they are breathtaking!

In our Christian walk, we often lose sight of the big picture. We keep our nose to the grindstone and simply try to put out fires that are thrown our way. We fail to see our world as God views it.

The people we find irritating are people with whom God wants us to establish a relationship so that He can minister to them through us.

The troubles that disrupt our day and send us down a path that we hadn't anticipated are really God's way of getting us to the place that He needs us to be.

But, we don't see it! Our vision is too limited.
(Dave M)

Action Point
As we walk through our day today, let's ask Him to show us our life, the people, and the situations in it the way He sees it. Rather than seeing troubles, let's see opportunities. Let's put on God-vision, so that we can see what is really going on from God's point-of-view. If we do this, don't be surprised if our breath is taken away by His view, because of how He really wants to use us each day.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Ronnie W. Stark
Platinum Member

Postby Ronnie W. Stark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Bible Study Verse
I Thessalonians 5:17
Pray continually. (NIV)

Thoughts
Many years ago, I started a simple activity. Let me encourage you to practice it also, from this point on. Okay, here it is: Whenever I hear a siren, I pray for two things - a simple, quick prayer that goes something like this:
"Lord, give the authorities wisdom and safety to deal with the situation to which they are responding."
"Lord, help the person needing assistance come to know You today and rely and trust in You."
As you know, only when people are faced with life-threatening circumstances are they usually faced with their own mortality, and are open to God. Would you join me in this endeavor? If you live in the big city, you may be busy; but you never know what a difference praying might make.

Action Point
Sirens. Let this Sportsmen's Devotional live on as you listen for these, starting today. Consider sharing this prayer with others.

(662) 417-1588 Cell
(662) 473-8413 Cell

Return to “Coon Hunters For Christ”