Rule #2.D. Abuse Of Dog Reminder

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Rule #2.D. Abuse Of Dog Reminder

Postby Jerry Moll » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 am

2.D. Abuse Of Dog - Dog abuse of any kind shall not be tolerated in connection with any PKC sanctioned events. This is meant to include the hunt site, traveling to and from the woods, before, during and after hunting time. Members witnessing dog abuse may file misconduct charges.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Andy Harper
Gold Member
PKC Name: Andy Harper
City, State: Pearson, GA
PKC Member Since: 31 May 1997
Annual Membership Expires: 07 May 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $10,606

Re: Rule #2.D. Abuse Of Dog Reminder

Postby Andy Harper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:15 pm

What exactly is classified as abuse. I may need to confess with the junk I hunt. Does this mean no more corporal punishment is allowed? That hasn’t turned out to good in today’s society. This is a joke right?

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:31 pm

Andy Harper wrote:What exactly is classified as abuse. I may need to confess with the junk I hunt. Does this mean no more corporal punishment is allowed? That hasn’t turned out to good in today’s society. This is a joke right?

There is no joke here, this rule has been in the Blue Book for decades. Simply put, do your dog training before you come to a hunt. If you see something that makes you question if it fits this rule, it probably does.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Billy Carter
Silver Member
PKC Name: Billy Carter
City, State: Elkton, KY
PKC Member Since: 25 Feb 1998
Annual Membership Expires: 24 May 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $25,943

Postby Billy Carter » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm

I normally would just go on by this post but if there are people we draw in the hunts that wish to turn a fellow in for correcting his dog for barking in box, not leading right, or other minor infractions then it is really about time to get out of this game. Surely we don’t have any snowflakes
Bays Fork "Breeding for Superiority"

Randy Reynolds
Starting Member
PKC Name: Randy Reynolds
City, State: Bauxite, AR
PKC Member Since: 23 May 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Feb 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $601
Cell #: 501-909-2513

Postby Randy Reynolds » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:51 pm

Billy,

What I would say to your statement is that there is a huge difference between correction and abuse. Most people get embarrassed and take it out on the dog for something that should have been handled before they came to hunt. If someone does not know the difference between correcting a dog and abusing a dog then I question their ability to know the difference between correcting a child and abusing a child. if you saw me trying to stomp the guts out of a child, beating a child with a dog leash of limb you would never sit by and allow that to happen. Would you?? Yet somehow it okay to treat a dog that way? That's all PKC is saying

John Harris [AL]
Starting Member
PKC Name: John Harris
City, State: Lafayette, AL
PKC Member Since: 19 Jun 1997
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Feb 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $47,518

Postby John Harris [AL] » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Randy I'm.sorry but of this rule is going to be taken seriously then I'd say even correction falls under this as Jerry said do your training at home not saying I agree with this but if this has to be followed them it needs to be followed to the letter just as any of the rest of the rules ...
Ch.gr.nt.ch.silver ch. Allen Creek rain .
Sch.gr nt.ch canton's lightning bolt.
Ch. Nite ch wipeout 3 Zoom .
Gch wipeout space cowboy

William L Smith
Bronze Member
PKC Name: William L. Smith
City, State: Morgantown, KY
PKC Member Since: 23 May 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Oct 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $6,410

Postby William L Smith » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Only rule in the blue book that has not been changed 10 timed

Danny Raper
PKC Name: Danny Raper
City, State: Benton, AR
PKC Member Since: 19 Apr 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 30 Jun 2027
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $122,847

Postby Danny Raper » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:05 am

Jerry Does this rule reply just to the $30 and $50 hunts or does this rule reply to the big hunts too? And Explain yourself on how this rule replies. I don't understand the rule...
PCH BACKWATER HOMER

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:00 am

Danny Raper wrote:Jerry Does this rule reply just to the $30 and $50 hunts or does this rule reply to the big hunts too? And Explain yourself on how this rule replies. I don't understand the rule...

This rule applies to all PKC hunts. I cannot explain it any better than the written rule itself does.

2.D. Abuse Of Dog - Dog abuse of any kind shall not be tolerated in connection with any PKC sanctioned events. This is meant to include the hunt site, traveling to and from the woods, before, during and after hunting time. Members witnessing dog abuse may file misconduct charges.

Jed Finley
Gold Member
PKC Name: Jed Finley
City, State: Bethany, MO
PKC Member Since: 26 Mar 2001
Annual Membership Expires: 04 May 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $197,589

Postby Jed Finley » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

:shock: :shock: :shock: oh boy this is going to get interesting!!!

would a swift kick in the behind when recasting dogs fall under this!!

Is there suppose to be a warning given or straight to scratch? This definitely needs to be defined because one cast a handler was warned and another there was a question that never was heard! Just want to get complete clarification on this for future references!
HOF NCH PCH STYLISH TRADER
PCH AFTER SHOCK
SS CH PCH DIGGIN UP BONES
PCH POURIN RAIN
PCH SENT FROM HELL
PCH HELL RAZOR
GCH WRECK IT RALPH
SCH LONE SURVIVOR
SCH STYLISH BELLA
SCH DEMPSEY DOG
SCH MARIE LEVEAU

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:14 am

This posting, "Rule #2.D. Abuse Of Dog Reminder" relates to handler misconduct, not scratching.

HANDLER MISCONDUCT REPORTS — Handler Misconduct Reports must be received at the PKC Office within three (3) working days of the event. Other potential violations may be investigated by PKC at its' sole discretion. However, PKC and the National Association reserve the right to investigate any report of handler misconduct. All other violations may be investigated by PKC at its' sole discretion. Report must be made in writing to PKC, which will assign a representative to investigate the report. Upon proper investigation, the representative shall dismiss the report if, in his opinion, the report is not supported by sufficient evidence that misconduct has occurred, or the representative shall bring charges not only against the person(s) reported, but also against any other member allegedly involved in the misconduct. Those charged will be notified in writing by PKC and have the opportunity to respond in writing.

Jed Finley
Gold Member

Postby Jed Finley » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:55 am

Jerry so to be CLEAR you can not be scratched from a cast but you can be wrote up?

Let’s make no grey area and let’s answer it straight forward to the point!! Because what you just posted basically says you it is not a scratching offense!

If it is not no big deal, just want to know for future because if you can’t be scratched and just have to take the chance of getting wrote up for a chance at these big hunts it is dang sure worth putting a boot to the behind of a dog to get his or her attention!

It is a simple question really is it a scratching offense YES or NO?!?!

And should a handler be warned before scratching if it is a scratching offense again YES or NO?!?!
PCH AFTER SHOCK
PCH POURIN RAIN
PCH SENT FROM HELL
PCH HELL RAZOR
GCH WRECK IT RALPH
SCH LONE SURVIVOR
SCH STYLISH BELLA
SCH DEMPSEY DOG
SCH MARIE LEVEAU

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:34 pm

Jed Finley wrote:Jerry so to be CLEAR you can not be scratched from a cast but you can be wrote up? Let’s make no grey area and let’s answer it straight forward to the point!! Because what you just posted basically says you it is not a scratching offense!

Nope, I didn't say that at all. All of your questions have been posted here on an existing thread that was created to remind members of Rule #2.D.

Although the answer to your specific question is not in the scratching offenses list under Rule #14, I believe it is covered under rule #4.F. There is nothing in the rules requiring a warning for scratching a handler for dog abuse, but if the handler's actions are borderline, I could understand a judge warning them not to do it again.

4.F. Controlling Dog - A handler may not scold, encourage, or punish his/her dog at any time (including time-outs) during any PKC sanctioned event.

Jed Finley
Gold Member

Postby Jed Finley » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:46 pm

It is simple yes or no answers! You are leaving grey area that is not needed! Yes or no very simple!
PCH AFTER SHOCK
PCH POURIN RAIN
PCH SENT FROM HELL
PCH HELL RAZOR
GCH WRECK IT RALPH
SCH LONE SURVIVOR
SCH STYLISH BELLA
SCH DEMPSEY DOG
SCH MARIE LEVEAU

Owen Shelby
Starting Member
PKC Name: Owen Shelby
City, State: Cecil, AR
PKC Member Since: 09 Aug 1999
Annual Membership Expires: 08 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $31,675
Cell #: 4792130007

Postby Owen Shelby » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:58 pm

I'm with Jed. Jerry if on a recast I kick my dog in the butt and you are a non hunting judge do I get scratched? If the 15 is working on my dog and I cut a switch and hit my boots am I scratched?
(479)2130007

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”