Stationary Rule Reminder

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Stationary Rule Reminder

Postby Jerry Moll » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:54 pm

14.G. Stationary Rule - Any dog continually barking in the same place for a period of six (6) minutes will be scratched, unless called treed. This rule is to apply to a dog obviously barking treed. If a dog should pause for more than two (2) minutes or leave the area, break the six (6). If it returns, a new stationary rule will be started. If the six (6) minute rule is being applied to a dog and another dog is called treed in the same place, the six (6) minute rule will be broken. If it is later determined that the dog(s) are treed on separate trees, a new stationary rule will be started on the dog(s) not called treed. If judge is heading to or in the process of scoring another tree, the stationary rule should be stopped. Handler(s) must be advised any time the stationary rule is being applied on his/her dog and that it will be scratched unless declared treed. Anytime the stationary rule has been running for four (4) minutes or more and dog(s) stops barking, the two (2) minute rule should be applied. Should six (6) minute rule expire before two (2) minutes expires and dog resumes barking, handler(s) should be permitted to make a tree call provided call is made within the next three barks the dog makes.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Donald Peyton
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Donald Ray Peyton Jr
City, State: Marshville, NC
PKC Member Since: 24 Apr 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 21 Apr 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $7,188

Re: Stationary Rule Reminder

Postby Donald Peyton » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:24 pm

I see how this reads but I disagree with it! I understand the stationary rule but I think if a man doesn’t tree his dog the dog shouldn’t be scratched until you go and see with your eyes why hes there! Then scratch it! Why would you scratch a dog and not know what’s going on! Dog should be handled then scratched! Jmop
Donnie-Ray Peyton

Gary Van Meter
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Gary Van Meter
City, State: White Hall, IL
PKC Member Since: 04 May 1992
Annual Membership Expires: 06 Dec 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,120

Postby Gary Van Meter » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I agree had to tree my dog knowing it wasn’t trees but was in brush and real thick cover Just boo whoa around cost me the hunt and third cast win at showcase

Trey Perrin
Silver Member
PKC Name: Trey Perrin
City, State: Chelsea, AL
PKC Member Since: 01 Jun 2001
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $52,002

Postby Trey Perrin » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Last edited by Trey Perrin on Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GCH THE COON BUSTER

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Trey Perrin wrote:So if the stationary rule is working on a dog and it stops barking your not supposed to run the two minutes unless the stationary has already passed the 4 minute mark? I’ve never heard that or seen it judged like that before

Any time a dog stops barking during the "Stationary", the two minutes should be applied. What you are referring to in your question, is how to handle the situation if the "Stationary" expires while the two is working.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Donald Peyton wrote:I see how this reads but I disagree with it! I understand the stationary rule but I think if a man doesn’t tree his dog the dog shouldn’t be scratched until you go and see with your eyes why hes there! Then scratch it! Why would you scratch a dog and not know what’s going on! Dog should be handled then scratched! Jmop

Under the current rule, there is no need to go and look at the dog before scratching it. The rule does not require the dog to be seen treeing, only stationary (barking in one spot, not moving).

Donald Peyton
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Donald Ray Peyton Jr
City, State: Marshville, NC
PKC Member Since: 24 Apr 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 21 Apr 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $7,188

Postby Donald Peyton » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:21 pm

Jerry what if hes hung in a fence, caught in a foot trap or anything else! I just think if the dang dog is barking in one place if he ain’t treed by the handler whats it hurting. Lol they bark so much on the track now adays barking should not matter
Donnie-Ray Peyton

Jason Daugherty
PKC Name: Jason Daugherty
City, State: Spottsville, KY
PKC Member Since: 06 Feb 2014
Annual Membership Expires: 22 Mar 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $119,338
Cell #: 2707248945

Postby Jason Daugherty » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 am

I believe as long as you can judge the dog the stainionary should be run. Regardless if someone trees in the opposite direction or not. Especially in pro events!!

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:44 am

Discussion is good. Please remember that we must use the rules as written until/unless at some point it is changed.

James Savage
Starting Member
PKC Name: James Savage
City, State: Wilmar, AR
PKC Member Since: 13 Mar 2017
Annual Membership Expires: 09 Feb 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,754
Cell #: 1-870-690-0507

Postby James Savage » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 am

Jerry,
I agree 100% with the stationary rule. I have one question. You are judging a cast keeping in mind with three other dogs that you have never heard before and handlers you have never hunted with and you put the stationary on a dog/dogs. The question I get from the handlers is witch dog/dogs are you putting the stationary on?
My answer is the one that is stationary and if the "6" runs out we're walking in there to see witch one/ones it is because I know it isn't mine and that dog/dogs will be scratched.
The funny thing is once you say that people start owning up to there dogs.
Am I handling this correctly?
CH Not A Clue

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:05 pm

James, if you are judging a cast and are not yet able to recognize each dog's mouth, I would suggest that you ask handlers to identify any dog that is barking in the same spot, before applying the stationary rule. If handler does not identify their dog, put it to a cast vote.

James Savage
Starting Member
PKC Name: James Savage
City, State: Wilmar, AR
PKC Member Since: 13 Mar 2017
Annual Membership Expires: 09 Feb 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,754
Cell #: 1-870-690-0507

Postby James Savage » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:07 pm

Will do. Thanks
CH Not A Clue

Richard C Lambert
Silver Member
PKC Name: Richard C. Lambert
City, State: Birchwood, TN
PKC Member Since: 26 Jun 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Aug 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $11,242

Postby Richard C Lambert » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:10 pm

The stationary rule is just a rule that slick handlers use to get someone to tree their dog so that they can minus him. They know that your dog is not treed but they still put the stationary on him. Wording should be changed to state that a dog must actually be treed. Why do you have to tree your dog when you know that he is not treed?

Andy Harper
Gold Member
PKC Name: Andy Harper
City, State: Pearson, GA
PKC Member Since: 31 May 1997
Annual Membership Expires: 07 May 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $10,606

Postby Andy Harper » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:31 pm

If he's not treed don't tree him. It will all work out in the end. If your dog has a armadillo or a skunk in a hole and you don't want to tree him that will work out to. I see nothing wrong with the rule as it's written. I've never been made to tree my dog because of this rule and can't remember ever having the stationary applied to my dog unless I intentionally allowed it.

Richard C Lambert
Silver Member
PKC Name: Richard C. Lambert
City, State: Birchwood, TN
PKC Member Since: 26 Jun 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Aug 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $11,242

Postby Richard C Lambert » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:41 am

Jerry Moll wrote:
Donald Peyton wrote:I see how this reads but I disagree with it! I understand the stationary rule but I think if a man doesn’t tree his dog the dog shouldn’t be scratched until you go and see with your eyes why hes there! Then scratch it! Why would you scratch a dog and not know what’s going on! Dog should be handled then scratched! Jmop

Under the current rule, there is no need to go and look at the dog before scratching it. The rule does not require the dog to be seen treeing, only stationary (barking in one spot, not moving).

How do you scratch a dog that is not handled? After you scratch the dog, do you call time out and catch the dogs? Or does the handler leave the cast and go handle his dog?

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”