**Rule Question**

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Coy Sullivan
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Coy Sullivan
City, State: Middleton, TN
PKC Member Since: 10 Jan 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 28 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $271,049
Cell #: 731-203-8128

**Rule Question**

Postby Coy Sullivan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:09 am

If a dog makes a tree most definitely a big circle tree an a squirrel is seen, would it be deleted,
Minused or what’s your opinion? I know what I’ve always done but apparently I’m not to sure if I’ve done it the right way... they say a place of refuge you delete. Well in this case the whole tree is circle an full of leafs so I’d say plenty places of refuge!! What’s the call on the tree?
WCH PCH Thousand Dollar Bill
Thousand Dollar Kreed

Drake Roberson
Silver Member
PKC Name: Drake Roberson
City, State: Waterloo, AL
PKC Member Since: 24 Jul 2005
Annual Membership Expires: 30 May 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $68,031
Cell #: 2568568965

Re: **Rule Question**

Postby Drake Roberson » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:24 am

You must have been day dreaming about a different tree than what we scored. The tree was slick and the handler spent 5 minutes trying to show me a hole and couldn’t. A slick tree with a squirrel in it is minused and that’s what he got.
PCH HISSY PHITT
PCH DIRTY DEALER

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:40 am

Under the current rule, "a bed (squirrel nest) or hole in the tree large enough to conceal a raccoon" must be seen in order to delete the tree under rule #13.G.

13.G. Squirrel Rule - If a squirrel is seen in a tree while the tree is being scored and there is a bed or hole in the tree large enough to conceal a raccoon, strike and tree points of dog(s) handled at this tree will be deleted.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Joe Wilbanks

Postby Joe Wilbanks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:58 am

what if it has a turkey in it? Id say same rule just changes from squirrel to other game name.

Coy Sullivan
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Coy Sullivan
City, State: Middleton, TN
PKC Member Since: 10 Jan 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 28 Nov 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $271,049
Cell #: 731-203-8128

Postby Coy Sullivan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:17 am

[quote="Drake Roberson"]You must have been day dreaming about a different tree than what we scored. The tree was slick and the handler spent 5 minutes trying to show me a hole and couldn’t. A slick tree with a squirrel in it is minused and that’s what he got.[/[quote="Drake Roberson"]

Only one day dreaming must be you hot rod, I ask a simple question so I would know for 100% how it was suppose to be scored. I’ve never been much on treeing squirrels so wasn’t sure. I’ve had one hunt director tell me differently an wanted to make sure. But beings your bringing that tree up if it was that slick why’d it take you so long to minus it?? No way that tree was a slick tree an it didn’t make a damn to me what you done to it. A slick tree with a squirrel not doubt is minused, just not many times I’ve seen that!! Excuse me for asking a question!!
See you down the road ol buddy!!
WCH PCH Thousand Dollar Bill
Thousand Dollar Kreed

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:39 am

Joe Wilbanks wrote:what if it has a turkey in it? Id say same rule just changes from squirrel to other game name.

In the case of a wild turkey (wild winged animal), it would be deleted. If it's a domestic turkey, scratch.

11.J. Off Game - Any game that is not a raccoon or a wild winged animal is considered "off game". For dog(s) treeing "off game", both strike and tree points will be minus. Any dog handled, but not declared treed at a tree or place of refuge where "off-game" is seen will receive minus strike points unless declared struck after the first dog treed. Dog(s) seen catching or baying off game on the ground will receive minus strike points and deleted tree points if called treed. If dog(s) are seen to be running off game, their strike points will be minused and struck back in for 25 points.

14.D. Livestock - Molesting, running, baying or treeing livestock.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Joe Wilbanks

Postby Joe Wilbanks » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:33 pm

What if its a chipmunk a mink or both up the tree? : :D :D :D :D Just messing with you Jerry :D :D :D

Trey Perrin
Silver Member
PKC Name: Trey Perrin
City, State: Chelsea, AL
PKC Member Since: 01 Jun 2001
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $52,002

Postby Trey Perrin » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 pm

So if your dog trees up a legit circle tree and there is a turkey in the tree it gets deleted???
GCH THE COON BUSTER

Alan Urffer
PKC Name: Alan Urffer
City, State: Ooltewah, TN
PKC Member Since: 26 Jan 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 18 Apr 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $266
Cell #: 423-280-0263

Postby Alan Urffer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:23 am

Jerry Moll wrote:
Joe Wilbanks wrote:what if it has a turkey in it? Id say same rule just changes from squirrel to other game name.

In the case of a wild turkey (wild winged animal), it would be deleted. If it's a domestic turkey, scratch.

11.J. Off Game - Any game that is not a raccoon or a wild winged animal is considered "off game". For dog(s) treeing "off game", both strike and tree points will be minus. Any dog handled, but not declared treed at a tree or place of refuge where "off-game" is seen will receive minus strike points unless declared struck after the first dog treed. Dog(s) seen catching or baying off game on the ground will receive minus strike points and deleted tree points if called treed. If dog(s) are seen to be running off game, their strike points will be minused and struck back in for 25 points.

MAN I SURE HOPE MY DOG CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WILD TURKEY AND A DOMESTIC TURKEY!

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:36 am

Trey Perrin wrote:So if your dog trees up a legit circle tree and there is a turkey in the tree it gets deleted???

If there is a wild winged animal in the tree, such as a wild turkey, owl, crow, buzzard, etc. they are ignored, so in your example the tree would be circled.

Chris Saunders
Silver Member
PKC Name: Chris Saunders
City, State: Clarksville, OH
PKC Member Since: 24 Apr 1992
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Oct 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $41,036

Postby Chris Saunders » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:21 am

I may be the one responsible for the rule clarification regarding "wild winged animal".

Years ago during a SS in Tn, a dog made a tree with a turkey in it. Coon were few and far between and I was convinced the dog actually treed the turkey. I thought the dog should have been minused and questioned the judge circling the tree. I lost my question along with the cast. Mr. Roy told me that a bird was considered fowl, not off game. The rule book has since been rewritten to note treeing domestic fowl gets you scratched.
Last edited by Chris Saunders on Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't hunt the best, I'm just a guy willing to hunt against the best"

John Dalton
Silver Member
PKC Name: John B. Dalton
City, State: Kenbridge, VA
PKC Member Since: 30 Jan 1986
Annual Membership Expires: 06 Jul 2025
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $6,097

Postby John Dalton » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am

Chris Saunders wrote:I believe I may be the one responsible for the rule clarification regarding "wild winged animal".

Years ago during a SS in Tn, a dog made a tree with a turkey in it. Coon were few and far between and I was convinced the dog actually treed the turkey. I thought the dog should have been minused and questioned the judge circling the tree. I lost my question along with the cast. Mr. Roy told me that a bird was considered fowl, not off game. The rule book has since been rewritten to note treeing domestic fowl gets you scratched.

Shoot you should have bought the dog..Its a whole lot harder to tree a wild turkey and he stay there and get scored :)
____________Home of Valley Creek hunting supplies
Dalton farms Softball and misty hollow kennels
www.valleycreekhunting.com

Joe Wilbanks

Postby Joe Wilbanks » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Alan Urffer wrote:
Jerry Moll wrote:

MAN I SURE HOPE MY DOG CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WILD TURKEY AND A DOMESTIC TURKEY!
lol better hope the judge and cast can

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”