Getting scratched for turning on collar light?

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jason Noon
Starting Member
PKC Name: Jason Noon
City, State: Carey, OH
PKC Member Since: 13 Jun 2008
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Jul 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,637

Getting scratched for turning on collar light?

Postby Jason Noon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 am

I was told you can be scratched for turning on your collar light during a hunt. Is there any truth to this? I can’t find anything that says this in the rule book or the new collar rules from last year.
Nooners Nitetime Scarlett
Nooners Nitetime Nancy

James Cooper
Starting Member
PKC Name: James Cooper
City, State: Lumberton, MS
PKC Member Since: 15 Feb 2016
Annual Membership Expires: 01 Mar 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $602
Cell #: 6017955226

Re: Getting scratched for turning on collar light?

Postby James Cooper » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:50 am

Undeserved Points - Any handler making a deliberate attempt to gain undeserved points or avoid deserved minus points or deserved scratch, will be scratched. This also includes making a deliberate attempt to assign another handler undeserved minus points or an undeserved scratch.
Livestock - Molesting, running, baying or treeing livestock.

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:18 am

Jason Noon wrote:I was told you can be scratched for turning on your collar light during a hunt. Is there any truth to this? I can’t find anything that says this in the rule book or the new collar rules from last year.

Yes, a handler can be scratched for turning on their collar light in order to control their dog, for any number of reasons, during the cast. A handler is permitted to turn their collar light on for the safety of the dog if it is getting on a road, but in this case, they should inform the rest of the cast that they are doing so.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Elvis Black
Silver Member
PKC Name: Elvis Black
City, State: Moncks Corner, SC
PKC Member Since: 17 Feb 2005
Annual Membership Expires: 06 Feb 2025
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $5,298

Postby Elvis Black » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:02 am

Jerry, Can you not hunt with the light on the entire time? If not, where does it state that. Also, I think it will be hard to enforce the light rule, guys can turn it off and on all the time and you will never know. I know the new thing now is to turn on the light before you shock them, and they associate that light with being shocked. I think we need to adopt the rule that only time you can look at Garmins is when it agreed on by entire cast. I love the Garmin, but man has it caused issues. I guess soon Garmin will just have to make a collar that tracks only with no light, shocker, or vibration feature.
HIGH FLYIN' HITMAN

Joe Wilbanks

Postby Joe Wilbanks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:31 am

I turn mine on before the hunt and leave it on the whole time for my dogs safety and allways have since the feature was made available, never had a problem with that at a hunt either , as a matter of fact one guy was glad I did he said he had been teaching his dog to come in when the light on its collar was turned on and wanted to see if mine affected his dog wich it did not. They need to quit worrying about garmins and focus more on getting people to hunt and enjoy it and stop adding and changing rules to fit the few .

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes, you may turn your collar light on and leave it on the entire hunt.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Jason Noon
Starting Member

Postby Jason Noon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Where is does it say this in the rules? My dog left the woods so I turned on my light. When we finally got to her other handler said I could be scratched for turning on my collar light and I had know idea what he was talking about. Thought he was making up rules. Just trying cover all my bases in case this ever happens again.
Nooners Nitetime Nancy

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:52 pm

This is a clarification since the last printing of the Blue Book

7.G. Use Of Lights - A handler may not use his/her light to help control dog(s) or shine trees except upon the direction of the judge. He/she must turn the light off at the request of the judge. Dogs may wear lighted collars for safety. Handlers may be scratched for using lighted collars in such a way to control their dog or other handlers dogs. Before a handler turns on a lighted collar during the cast, we suggest he/she inform the other cast members first to avoid any confusion.

Jason Noon
Starting Member

Postby Jason Noon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Thank you sir.
Nooners Nitetime Nancy

Bradley Hall
Gold Member
PKC Name: Bradley E. Hall
City, State: Coatesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 04 Aug 1994
Annual Membership Expires: 29 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $13,734

Postby Bradley Hall » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am

On the flip side of this, can a judge minus a dog based on the lighted collar alone? In example if cast is 40 yards off the tree of a dog who has a lighted collar on and lets say the lighted dog is treed on a fence row. No one in the cast has their headlights on just waiting for the tree time to expire. The cast sees the lighted collar go off the tree about 10 yards in the field then sees the lighted collar go back to the tree and dog continues treeing. The dog never barked but the cast saw the light go off the tree into field 10 yards. If the lighted collar was not lit, no one would seen this, but since it was seen could the judge minus the dog for being off the tree based on the lighted collar alone?
BradHallAuctioneer.com

Michael Brown
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Michael Brown
City, State: Ada, OK
PKC Member Since: 22 Sep 1999
Annual Membership Expires: 20 Apr 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $525

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:05 pm

Bradley, do we really consider that “leaving a tree?” I’ve got a female that will back up twenty feet from a tree, and then walk back to the base of the tree. Sometimes she’s barking every breath, and other times she’s bird dogging a coon, and only barking when she gets up under the tree. She’s tree the whole time, and hasn’t left nothing, but a lighted collar would get me minused if what you describes is consider “leaving a tree.” Just wondering what you think?

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member

Postby Jerry Moll » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm

Bradley E Hall wrote:On the flip side of this, can a judge minus a dog based on the lighted collar alone?

Brad, the second sentance of the second paragraph in Rule #5.A. answers your question.
5.A.Tracking System Use during the cast is intended for the personal use of the handler and the safety of the handler's dog only. No information obtained from tracking devices will be permitted for use in scoring situations in the woods or at panel question hearings. As always, dog(s) must be heard before handler(s) can make a call and all time-out rules and requirements still apply.

Daryl Guess
Starting Member
PKC Name: Daryl Guess
City, State: Opelika, AL
PKC Member Since: 11 May 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 13 Feb 2027
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $106,203
Cell #: 3345594641

Postby Daryl Guess » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:00 am

Bradley Hall
Gold Member
PKC Name: Bradley E. Hall
City, State: Coatesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 04 Aug 1994
Annual Membership Expires: 29 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $13,734

Postby Bradley Hall » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 am

Thank you Jerry for pointing that out. I in fact got minus for the very scenario that I described. Had I been thinking the general "good for the goose its good for the gander" mentality I would have capitalized upon the rule you underlined Jerry. Its amazing in this game you never quit learning.
BradHallAuctioneer.com

Alan Urffer
PKC Name: Alan Urffer
City, State: Ooltewah, TN
PKC Member Since: 26 Jan 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 18 Apr 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $266
Cell #: 423-280-0263

Postby Alan Urffer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:45 am

I believe if my dog was treed and especially if we were looking at him, that's one time I'd turn the light off.

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”