Rule ?

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Johnny D Altman
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Johnny D. Altman
City, State: Andrews, SC
PKC Member Since: 18 Jul 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 02 Aug 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $6,007

Rule ?

Postby Johnny D Altman » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 am

What is a clear rule on scratching a dog for not hunting ? We were on a cast tonight, standing on a dirt road dog in question was in the road off and on most of the cast. When he wasn't you could hit him with a rock. Everyone had different idea of what it would take to scratch him. If it had been mine I would have been embarrassed withdrawn and beat the day lights out of him.

Ashley Guthrie
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Ashley Guthrie
City, State: Douglas, GA
PKC Member Since: 07 Mar 2005
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Feb 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $50,443
Cell #: 912-381-4403

Re: Rule ?

Postby Ashley Guthrie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:35 am

15 minutes... has to be gone “out of sight for 5 mins to break the 15
SS Champ Res NCH PCH The American Power Trip
#TeamAmerica
#TheAllAmerican

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: Rule ?

Postby Jerry Moll » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 am

Johnny D Altman wrote:What is a clear rule on scratching a dog for not hunting ? We were on a cast tonight, standing on a dirt road dog in question was in the road off and on most of the cast. When he wasn't you could hit him with a rock. Everyone had different idea of what it would take to scratch him. If it had been mine I would have been embarrassed withdrawn and beat the day lights out of him.

15.H. Not Hunting, Fifteen (15) Minute Rule - Dog(s) failing to go hunting during any fifteen (15) minute period of hunting time will be scratched. The handler has the right to walk any dog not hunting in the direction the guide wishes to hunt. If dog is handled at a tree during this fifteen (15) minute period, the time should be paused and then continued after dog is recast. A dog must be gone for five (5) minutes to be considered hunting, unless the hunt expires. Anytime a dog(s) is called struck that has opened, the fifteen (15) minute rule will be broken.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”