Leash locked question

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jonathan Strong
Starting Member
PKC Name: Jonathan Strong
City, State: Liberty, SC
PKC Member Since: 09 Oct 2014
Annual Membership Expires: 17 Jan 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $254
Cell #: 864-420-0955

Leash locked question

Postby Jonathan Strong » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:43 pm

So 3 dogs handled at 1 tree, walked a minute, could hear the 4th dog treed. The guy then struck and treed that dog. So all 3 other dogs then leash locked? The blue book is kind of unclear to me about this.

Preston C Boles
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Preston C Boles
City, State: Blossom, TX
PKC Member Since: 27 Apr 2009
Annual Membership Expires: 08 Mar 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $34,105

Re: Leash locked question

Postby Preston C Boles » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:08 pm

Yes sir. Y'all are locked. He is struck for 25 and treed for 100
Birch Creek Kennels

Jonathan Strong
Starting Member

Postby Jonathan Strong » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks

Jonathan Strong
Starting Member

Postby Jonathan Strong » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:12 pm

1 other question. Struck my dog in for 75 he was barking around the tree with 2 other dogs that were treed in. I knew it wasn't right by the way he was acting. I opted to not tree him. Walked to the tree. My dog is milling around barking some but not really showing treed. Would my strike points just be deleted? And could I be made to tree him under the stationary rule?

Adam Borden
Starting Member
PKC Name: Adam Borden
City, State: Moulton, AL
PKC Member Since: 09 Jul 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 02 Oct 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $9,877
Cell #: 2566684223

Postby Adam Borden » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:20 am

So was you treed in ? Or just struck in ?
PKC SCH. GRNT. CH SACKETT’S RED WILLIE

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 am

Jonathan Strong wrote:So 3 dogs handled at 1 tree, walked a minute, could hear the 4th dog treed. The guy then struck and treed that dog. So all 3 other dogs then leash locked? The blue book is kind of unclear to me about this.

Yes, in your example, if the fourth dog was declared treed before the three dogs were released, they would be leashlocked until the fourth dog's tree is scored.

9.K. Recasting After Scoring Tree - After scoring a tree, lead handled dog(s) one (1) minute. At that point if all dogs are on leash or if no dogs are struck in, dog(s) should be released and a new set of strike points opened up. If other dog(s) are struck in, but not opening, the six (6) minute rule will then be applied to them. Do not start six (6) minute rule until after walking the required one (1) minute from tree. Leashed dog(s) should be released when one (1) of the struck dogs opens, or if a dog at large opens and is declared struck. If no dog opens for six (6) minutes, except when cast has walked out of hearing of trailing dogs, all strike points will be minused. All leashed dog(s) should then be released and a new set of strike points opened up. After scoring a tree and walking a minute, do not release handled dog(s) when:
(1) All other dogs have been declared treed.
(2) The six minute rule is working on trailing dog(s).
(3) The two minute rule is working on treed dog(s) and no struck dog(s) are opening.
(4) Cast had walked out of hearing of trailing dog(s) to score the tree.
(5) Less than six minutes remain in the cast and struck dog(s) are not opening.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Postby Jerry Moll » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:37 am

Jonathan Strong wrote:1 other question. Struck my dog in for 75 he was barking around the tree with 2 other dogs that were treed in. I knew it wasn't right by the way he was acting. I opted to not tree him. Walked to the tree. My dog is milling around barking some but not really showing treed. Would my strike points just be deleted? And could I be made to tree him under the stationary rule?

You could not be forced to tree your dog on this tree, because the stationary rule cannot be ran on your dog in this situation.

Assuming your dog was handled at this tree. If it was struck after the first dog was declared treed on this tree, its strike points would be deleted no matter how the tree was scored. If it was struck before the first dog was declared treed on this tree, its strike points would be scored based upon how the tree is scored, see below.

11. I. Dog(s) Coming Into PLUS OR OFF-GAME Tree - Any dog handled but not declared treed at a tree that is being scored or has just been scored prior to treed dog(s) being led away to recast will have their strike points minused if coon or off game is scored unless dog(s) was declared struck after the first dog on this tree was declared treed.

13.B. DOG(S) COMING INTO CIRCLED OR SLICK TREE - Any dog(s) handled but not declared treed at a tree that is being scored or has just been scored prior to treed dog(s) being led away to recast will have their strike points deleted if tree is scored circle or slick (empty).
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”