Keeping Your Cast Together - Reminder

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Keeping Your Cast Together - Reminder

Postby Jerry Moll » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:35 am

We have been getting reports of cast members being strung out from each other much farther than what is acceptable, usually on the way to score trees. Typically, this involves older, overweight and/or out of shape members that are unable to keep up with continuous walking at a brisk pace.

When this happens, the voting system of the cast breaks down and it creates many problems. All cast members must be together in order to hear all handler calls, judge calls, any discussion and to witness anything that may require a cast vote to resolve. Never go into a tree without first making sure that all required cast members are present.

The PKC Blue Book is very specific when it comes to this issue. If this problem shows up on your cast, please be sure to remind all cast members about the second sentence contained in Rule #7.E.

7.E. Keeping Cast Together - The cast must stay together and all cast members will go to all trees unless dogs are treed in different places. All cast members must walk at a pace that all handlers can maintain. Handlers should allow judge to reach tree first. Dog(s) declared treed must be showing tree. A handler may leave the cast to go to a split tree when time is up or when all dogs have been declared treed (except in a one-dog cast). A minimum of three cast members must be present to score each tree. A handler going to a split tree must leash his/her dog and wait for at least two (2) more members of the cast to come and score the tree. Any handler leaving the cast except to go to a separate tree may be scratched from the cast.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Bruce Janssen
Starting Member
PKC Name: Bruce Janssen
City, State: Otterbein, IN
PKC Member Since: 07 Jun 1984
Annual Membership Expires: 22 Jun 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $199

Re: Keeping Your Cast Together - Reminder

Postby Bruce Janssen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Happened to me Saturday. Took off to first tree like they were going to a 6 month old pup making his first tree. I stopped them 3 or 4 Times. They did it again and again. Next tree was my dog. Just stood there. Why are we running to first tree but waiting to go to mine. Took off for mine. Asked him to slow down and he did. Saw my coon. 200 +. That’s part of the problem I’m sure. When I get my dog of the tree 2 of them are maybe 50 yards down the edge. Judge yells back minutes up. So I’m turning my right at them. I’m trying to catch up. I think I hear my stop and yes it is. I yell out to strike her. They minus me for not striking on or before 3 rd bark. My dog is a fast barking chop mouth Dog. Abvious to me I have 200+ they have 0. Trying to catch up. There own way. They claimed she made 5 barks. Might have, all l know l struck her as soon as l could. Of course they later claimed less intentionally delaying the cast. The 4 th member was with me every time. I’m 68. No I don’t walk fast. I also have 8 thousand dollar hearing aids that help but definitely don’t fix the problem. Are the old guys not welcome any more. Bruce Janssen.

Daryl Thompson
Starting Member
PKC Name: Daryl Thompson
City, State: Grand Junction, IA
PKC Member Since: 16 Dec 1982
Annual Membership Expires: 25 May 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $5,604
Cell #: 5152900197

Postby Daryl Thompson » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm 61 no excuses for not keeping up..other things fall into place ..1 is corn fields of course If your 3rd or 4th in line and the one in front trees.who can hear him?????the judge.and if he doesn't respond loud enough.nobody knows why we stopped but the two in front....
The people that know me and my ankle problem know that I'll be the first one to send them on and I'll be there..I've been minused cause I wasn't there to handle my dog or see what judge saw.. that's my fault. At one time I was told to withdraw.. cause of the problem...that's not right either.. I've been happy to say everybody has been great to me and I thank all of you for putting up with me... I'll be back and ready to go in another month so boys be ready..

Bruce Janssen
Starting Member
PKC Name: Bruce Janssen
City, State: Otterbein, IN
PKC Member Since: 07 Jun 1984
Annual Membership Expires: 22 Jun 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $199

Postby Bruce Janssen » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Saturday was the first time I’ve had trouble. As for it being the older guys fault. I call bs. If you have two handler running off from the other two they are the problem. I’ve had several tell me I walk good for my age. My mistake was, instead of going on and beating them I got mad and withdrew.Bruce Janssen

Joe Wilbanks

Postby Joe Wilbanks » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 am

Never have that problem around here locally , all good guys and gals to hunt with but I have had it happen off from here.

John Dalton
Silver Member
PKC Name: John B. Dalton
City, State: Kenbridge, VA
PKC Member Since: 30 Jan 1986
Annual Membership Expires: 06 Jul 2025
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $6,097

Postby John Dalton » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Not a Cure all BUT...
SENIOR WORLD HUNT!!!!
____________Home of Valley Creek hunting supplies