Babbling???

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Frank Manning
Starting Member
PKC Name: Frank Manning
City, State: Mount Morris, MI
PKC Member Since: 01 Jun 2009
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Aug 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,358

Babbling???

Postby Frank Manning » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:19 am

3 dog cast, Dogs A and B struck 100, 75 in the minute. Both dogs stuck on a trail 50 foot infront of where we released them. Dogs continue barking to the left 250 yards where Dog C is struck for 50 around the 2 min mark. Everyone in the cast knows dogs A&B were babbling when they got struck (Dog B handler is judge) handler of dog C asks if dogs A&B are going to take minus points for being stuck on a Babble (they both shut up shortly after catching up to dog C)? Judge says NO they carried a track to dog C where they split up leaving dog C the only one opening. Dog C ends up treed and is scored. Dog B is treed 900 yards away across a road and dog A is .67 in the other direction.

My question is should those dogs have been minused, not being the judge would this warrant signing in the gray?

As a judge if I had minused them how do I make it stand being I'm the handler of dog C?

Thank you for your help and answers.
Frank Manning
(810)347-5292

Home of Kate N Roy's Demon Seed Psycho

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: Babbling???

Postby Jerry Moll » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Frank Manning wrote:My question is should those dogs have been minused?

Babbling is always going to be a judgment call, rule 11.A. gives us guidance.

11.A. Babbling - Dog(s) to receive minus strike points when determined to be babbling. When a minused dog strikes back in, it will receive a maximum of 25 points, unless all dogs are competing for 100 strike points. Dog(s) continually barking after being released and struck where no track is evident may be considered babbling. Dog(s) declared struck within the first minute after being released must show that it is taking a track out of the area and not false barking.

Frank Manning wrote:not being the judge would this warrant signing in the gray?

Signing in the gray should be reserved for situations that cannot be corrected by a question panel. In this case, a 3-dog Open Event, after the cast vote, the situation can be questioned and brought before a panel.

Frank Manning wrote:As a judge if I had minused them how do I make it stand being I'm the handler of dog C?

Similar situation, if neither of the other two cast members ask for a cast vote, they stay minused. If they do ask for a vote and out vote you (the judge), you can question the situation and bring it before a panel.

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”