Judge Hearing Dog?

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Harold Cox
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Sonny Cox
City, State: West Terre Haute, IN
PKC Member Since: 13 May 1983
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $12,767
Cell #: 8122086952

Judge Hearing Dog?

Postby Harold Cox » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:45 pm

$30 open hunt 4 dog cast. Handler a tells judge my dog is treed can you hear him judge says no ,handler b says yes i hear him, handler c says no i can not hear him .What happens now? Thank you in advance this was discussed at hunt last night with differnt thoughts.

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: Judge Hearing Dog?

Postby Jerry Moll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:07 pm

Harold Cox wrote:$30 open hunt 4 dog cast. Handler a tells judge my dog is treed can you hear him judge says no ,handler b says yes i hear him, handler c says no i can not hear him .What happens now? Thank you in advance this was discussed at hunt last night with differnt thoughts.

Sonny, assuming that the handler of dog A did not "declare" his dog treed. The cast can split the difference and try to get into a position where dog A can be heard and the other three dogs can still be heard.

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: Judge Hearing Dog?

Postby Jerry Moll » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:15 pm

Harold Cox wrote:Jerry handler wanted to declare dog treed judge would not take his call because he couldn't hear him

Sonny, if the handler calls his dog treed, it's a whole different set of circumstances.

The judge must hear a dog before he can record a valid strike or tree call. The judge does not have an option to take a call or not except in very limited circumstances. If a judge is out in the open and a handler strikes or trees a dog that he does not hear, it's his responsibility to minus those points.

Let's say handler A treed his dog, but the judge does not hear the dog and minuses dog A 100-. Dog A's handler calls for a cast vote. Handler's A & B say they heard the dog, but handlers C & D (judge) vote that they did not hear the dog. In this case dog A remains minused and handler A has the option of posting a question with the judge, or not.

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”