Use Of Tracking Systems During Hunting Time Q & A

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Use Of Tracking Systems During Hunting Time Q & A

Postby Jerry Moll » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:39 pm

The easiest way remember how tracking systems may be utilized during PKC Hunts is to remember that the ONLY rules that changed were #5.A and #5.B. ALL OTHER RULES REMAIN EXACTLY THE SAME.

*Also, remember, powering on your tracking unit or leaving it off is totally your decision, you may choose either option.

Here are a few Questions/Answers pertaining to the “Powered ON” tracking equipment.

Q: Can I still use a handheld that is paired with a collar on my dog that is capable of producing tone, vibration or electronic stimulation?
A: No, only collars that are NOT capable of emitting electronic tone, vibration or stimulation may be worn by dogs during the cast.

Q: Is it acceptable to simply remove the stimulating prongs from my E-Collar?
A: NO. With prongs removed, E-Collars are still capable of emitting electronic stimulation in many cases and can still tone and/or vibrate.

Q: What happens if a handler shows up, ready to begin the cast with a handheld that is paired with a collar that is capable of producing tone, vibration or electronic stimulation?
A: In order to compete, the handler has only two options, change the collar out with a “tracking only” collar or hunt without a tracking collar.

Q: What happens if a handler is caught with a collar on their dog that is capable of producing tone, vibration or electronic stimulation?
A: Handlers must agree to allow the Judge to check their tracking system for any electronic stimulation, vibration or tone capability at any time requested. These rules are to be strictly enforced. Any time a handler is scratched for tracking equipment infractions; misconduct charges MUST be filed and sent to PKC.

Q: What do I do if I see my dog near a road; can I show the cast my tracker and insist that they call time out?
A: NO, all details of the Time Out rule still apply. It takes the majority of the cast in an Open Event, or the Non-Hunting Judge under Pro Rules to call time out.

Q: What options do I have to get my dog off the road if the cast, or judge, will not call time out?
A: Your options are to continue to hunt or withdraw your dog and go catch it. Nothing has changed in this regard except you now have the information of your dog’s whereabouts available. Keep in mind, if you are in a three dog Open Event cast, you may not leave the cast without time out being called first.

Q: In an Open Event, what if two of the dogs in the cast get near a highway, the other two have already been declared treed and the handlers want to leave and get their dogs?
A: You handle this exactly as you did without tracking systems powered on. A handler must have permission to withdraw and retrieve their dog during hunting time and a handler must have permission to leave the cast. A cast may not compete in a PKC Hunt with less than three voting members and you cannot score a tree with less than three cast members.

Q: What do you do if handler’s dogs are out of hearing in different directions?
A: Same as before, if dogs have trailed out of hearing and cannot be judged, the time out rule is applied.

Q: Can a handler strike and/or tree their dog deep that no one can hear?
A: Again, nothing changes here. If a handler strikes or trees a dog that no one can hear, the judge will award those points and minus them. Just as always, a dog must be heard before it can have valid strike or tree points recorded.

Q: Can I use my tracking device to prove to the other cast members, judge, or question panel, that I am correct about a question that has been raised?
A: NO, tracking system use during the cast is intended for the personal use of the handler and the safety of the handler’s dog only. Information obtained from tracking devices will not be permitted for use in scoring situations in the woods or at panel question hearings.

Q: Can a handler walk in the direction of his dog while the six minute rule is running on it?
A: Yes, in an Open Event, which direction the cast walks and how far is going to be up to the majority, and up to the Judge under Pro Rules.

Q: Can handlers use tracking system information to avoid their dog that is subject to taking minus strike points or scratched for the fifteen minute rule?
A: If a dog has quit its track or is not hunting, the dog needs to show up to the cast to be minused or have the fifteen minute rule started. Trying to avoid that dog, could be successful, maybe not. Chances are, in either case the dog will find the cast, even if a handler is trying to avoid the dog.

Q: Will a handler be able to use a tracking system to make sure their dog is a certain direction before striking or treeing them?
A: Yes, this change will no doubt help a handler reduce their miscalls by knowing where their dog is at all times. Just as always, a dog must be heard before it can have valid strike or tree points recorded. Keep in mind that no handler will have more of an advantage at this than any other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As all members should know by now, the use of Tracking Systems during hunting time is now allowed for all casts under certain criteria. Some members agree with the change, some don’t. The bottom line is that the PKC Rules now allow for their use, so let’s all handle it the best way possible. Below are some suggestions.

The easiest way remember how tracking systems may and may not be utilized during PKC Hunts is to remember that the ONLY rules that changed were #5.A and #5.B. ALL OTHER RULES REMAIN EXACTLY THE SAME.

See PKC Open Event and Pro Event Rules here:
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=145322

Judges:
• Do a Tracking System compliance check before the cast has started. This may prevent problems later on.
• Explain to handlers that you must hear their dog when they strike or tree it.
• If a handler strikes or trees a dog that you do not hear, write those points on the scorecard and minus them.
• Never walk to a dog that is supposed to be tailing or treed, based upon tracking system information, if you cannot hear it.
• Allow handlers to walk while the six minute rule is working on their dog, unless dogs are in different directions.
• If handlers attempt to use their tracking system information in scoring decisions, explain that tracking systems are for personal use only.
• If a handler is continually explaining what their dog is doing based upon their tracking system, ask them to stop.
• If you have a reason to think a handler is using an unapproved tracking or training system during hunting time, check their system immediately.
• If a handler has an unapproved tracking system powered on during hunting time, scratch the handler and report the situation to the Hunt Director to be forwarded on to PKC.

Handlers:
• Always comply with a Tracking System compliance check any time asked.
• Never strike or tree your dog if it is hard to hear without first asking the judge if he hears your dog.
• If you believe your dog is in danger you may request to call time out. If you do not get the majority of the cast (Open Event) or Non Hunting Judge (Pro Event) to agree to time out, you may decide to withdraw or continue hunting.

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Use Of Tracking Systems During Hunting Time

Postby Jerry Moll » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:04 pm

Although many brands of tracking equipment are approved for use in PKC Events, here are two examples using Garmin equipment to aid in understanding.

As you can see directly below on this unit that IS capable of producing tone and/or electronic stimulation, the prongs are noticeable and if they are taken out the holes with threads will remain visible. If this area is covered up, you may need to uncover it for further inspection.

As you can see directly below on this unit that IS NOT capable of producing tone and/or electronic stimulation, there is no place for prongs. If this area is covered up, you may need to uncover it for further inspection.

Craig Smith
Starting Member
PKC Name: Craig Smith
City, State: New Haven, KY
PKC Member Since: 01 Oct 1998
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Mar 2018
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $207
Cell #: 502 549 5204

Re: Use Of Tracking Systems During Hunting Time Q & A

Postby Craig Smith » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Charles E Craig
Starting Member