Question on strike minus

This forum contains member questions concerning PKC rules and policies. The PKC staff will post official clarifications here.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Zack Blair
Starting Member
PKC Name: Zack Blair
City, State: Lexington, OK
PKC Member Since: 25 Mar 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 25 Feb 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $6,340
Cell #: (405) 605-9303

Question on strike minus

Postby Zack Blair » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 pm

I may be missing it in the rules, but I've had this scenario happen a few times, and want to hear how it should have been handled. When walking in to the tree to handle two dogs that are treed, one of the dogs gets minused for coming off of the tree with their nose down and checking other trees, then going back to the original tree and treeing. What happens to their strike points if the coon is seen? What happens to their strike if it is circled? To me, they aren't treed in anymore and therefore should be minused strike points if the coon is seen.

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

Re: Question on strike minus

Postby Jerry Moll » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Zack Blair wrote:I may be missing it in the rules, but I've had this scenario happen a few times, and want to hear how it should have been handled. When walking in to the tree to handle two dogs that are treed, one of the dogs gets minused for coming off of the tree with their nose down and checking other trees, then going back to the original tree and treeing. What happens to their strike points if the coon is seen? What happens to their strike if it is circled? To me, they aren't treed in anymore and therefore should be minused strike points if the coon is seen.

You are correct.

11.I. Dog(s) Coming Into PLUS OR OFF-GAME Tree - Any dog handled but not declared treed at a tree that is being scored or has just been scored prior to treed dog(s) being led away to recast will have their strike points minused if coon or off game is scored unless dog(s) was declared struck after the first dog on this tree was declared treed.
Prepare yourself and your hound. Hunt the dog, read the Blue Book, and your Good Book!

Return to “PKC Rule/Policy Discussions and Clarifications”