TN Youth Showdown Four Wheeler Final Matchup & Play by Play

PKC invites all young hunters, age thirteen to sixteen years to post here. Those under age 13 must meet "Parential Consent" requirements found on the "Agreement" page.
Click on the "Under Age 13" link for details.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Bradley Durham
Administrator
PKC Name: Bradley M. Durham
City, State: Athens, AL
PKC Member Since: 19 Jul 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $41,374
Cell #: 256-206-6770

TN Youth Showdown Four Wheeler Final Matchup & Play by Play

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Judges: Steve Yant/Drake Roberson
Guide: John Woods
Panel: Billy Bell, Timmy Pratt, Brad Durham

Jones' Alabama Lick....B&T....M....Mark E. Jones....Dalton Talley
Cadillac "style"....Wal....M....Hopkins Or Weaver....Allie Hopkins
Mt Vernon Lil Susie....Wal....F....Ray Chestang....Joseph Franklin Lofton Jr
Wipeout 3 Zone....Wal....M....Joshua W. Sparks....Zack Bartel

First Ever 4 Wheeler Youth Challenge
Final Four Finalist

Wipeout 3 Zone
Owned by Joshua Sparks
Handled by Zack Bartel

Fifteen year old Zack Bartel is the son of Gene and Carolyn Driggers. He is from Tennessee, but tonight he is hunting a dog from Alabama. Zack and 3 Zone are a true combination of the Tennessee and Alabama influence that we are seeing in tonight’s Final Four! This combination might be what it takes to go up against the competition from each of these states tonight.

Zack began pleasure hunting when he was five years old and went with his dad Gene. He talked about it and what he liked, “I just went one time with my dad and it was fun with me.”

Gene also presented him with the first opportunity. Zack shared about that, “One time my dad asked me if I wanted to hunt a dog in the hunt and I said ‘Yes’. I liked competition because of learning my dog, going with other guys, and calling my dog out. I have won a few hunts, but this is my first Final Four though.”

Zack is pretty excited about being here tonight and talked about when he heard about this first time event, “My dad asked me if I wanted to hunt in a 4 Wheeler hunt after the World Hunt and I said,
Sure that would be fun to try to win a 4 wheeler!”

Now that in the Final Four, Zack says that it is even more exciting. He talked about how he got to this spot, “In the early round, 3 Zone won with 125 plus and treed the only coon we saw. He was split from the first tree that the other dogs made and he had the meat. In the late round, at the very end of the hunt time, I heard 3 Zone locate and I said ‘Strike Zone’. Then I heard him barking and said to my judge, ‘How long we have left?’ He said, ‘20 seconds’ and I treed him with 16 seconds left. Then he shut up for about 2 seconds and began again. I asked the judge if he could hear him and then we could all hear him clear as could be. He had a coon.”

When it comes to the next leg of this event, Zack is glad to be packing 3 Zone. He said, “I am toting a good dog that trees coons. I am a little nervous, but I feel good about my chances at winning with him.”

3 Zone, the dog that Zack is happy to be handling, is right at two years old. He is out of 3 Sum and John Harris’ Dixie female. It was about three nights before this event that Zack came up to learn 3 Zone for the event. John has been hard at work getting the hound ready. This is 3 Zone’s second Final Four of a 4 Wheeler hunt since he just got in at the Nova, Ohio 4 Wheeler Hunt. It was a fluke for John to be hunting him, but when Rain fell out of a tree and John moved 3 Zone up, the young hound has been hitting the ball out of the park since then.

It is now time to see if 3 Zone can round third base for the home plate! As Zack prepares, he wanted to share some gratitude to those who helped him get here,” I want to say thank you to John Harris and Josh Sparks, my dad and my mom, and everyone who has supported me.”

This is 3 Zones second chance at a 4 Wheeler and Zack is hoping that the first time was just a warm up for the real show tonight!

Cadillac Style
Owned by Hopkins and Weaver
Handled by Allie Hopkins

Sixteen year old Allie Hopkins is right at home hunting in the state of Tennessee and following behind Cadillac Style. She and Style are hoping that they will continue to do well in their home state tonight and keep the 4 wheeler here.

Allie is the daughter of Ashley and Jennifer Hopkins. Allie has grown up with coon hunting with her dad Ashley’s involvement in the sport. Now she has made her own way in the sport and her accomplishments are showing through in her placement in tonight’s Final Four of the first ever 4 Wheeler Youth Challenge.

Allie talked about her start in the sport, “I have been going since I was able to. From the time I was able to walk to the time I won my first hunt which was the state hunt and with my dad having Tequila Sunrise I was hooked! When I go out there to hunt after school and playing basketball, it is my release from everything.”

Some of the highlights of wins that Allie has had in competition include winning the 2014 State Hunt, which was the first event she was ever in. She has also placed in the Top 12 at the PKC Youth World this year, won $500 in the month of December which qualified her to get to go to the Youth Handler Showdown. Now she is in the Final Four of the first every PKC Youth 4 Wheeler Challenge.

Allie talked about what she thought about this hunt when she heard about it and how she feels to be here, “I heard about it right when it got posted and I thought, ‘This was really great of PKC. What has been done with it is a great opportunity for kids. It is exciting to be in the Final and I am blessed to be able to do it and have John and my dad out here with me.”

The dog that is making this all possible tonight is Cadillac Style. Allie talked about him, “He is five years old and he is the middle of puppy and older dog. He is out of one of the most famous crosses out of Georgia Cyclone, out of Sun, and Mojo. She is the top reproducing females in PKC history. I have never seen a dog with more heart and drive like I do with Style.”

This hound may be from a historically good cross and now he is at a historic event. Allie is very thankful for all the factors and people that have made it possible for her to be here tonight. She shared, “First and foremost, I want to thank the good Lord for giving me the ability to do all of this. I want to thank John Weaver for paying my way through everything and teaching me what I know and hauling me around. I want to thank my dad for EVERYTHING. He has taught me everything I know and is behind me 110%. I want to thank my grandpa, Jonathan Merritt, and the rest of my family for backing me through everything.”

It’s time to see if Allie Hopkins and Cadillac Style will be continuing to add to the historical factor of the line of hounds that helped her get to where she is tonight by winning big!

Jones Alabama Lick
Owned by Mark Jones
Handled by Dalton Talley

Seventeen year old Dalton Talley is hoping that by the end of this weekend he will be hauling the 4 wheeler back to Alabama. This young man is the son of Bobby and Amanda Talley and they are at home waiting to see how things are going to turn out for their son.

Dalton talked about how he got into coon hunting, “My dad used to hunt and he got out of it when my brothers and I were born. He got back into it when I was around twelve years old and I started going with him. I liked coon hunting because of being out there around the dogs and hearing them get treed.”

Another big part of this past-time that has appealed to Dalton is the competitive side. It was just a fluke that Dalton began competition hunting, but it was one that made a big change in this young man’s life. He talked about this, “I am very competitive and I really liked this part of the sport. My dad and I were at a local hunt and they needed one more dog to have a cast, so he signed me up. I won and ever since then, I have wanted to go every time.”

This is Dalton’s biggest achievement so far since beginning. He stated, “I have never won any big PKC hunts. I have been in a lot of $30 hunts and qualified and went to the PKC Youth World Championship two years now. I have also placed in some larger youth and open events in UKC.”

Dalton talked about when he first heard about the first ever PKC 4 Wheeler Youth Challenge, “I heard John Granberry talking about it at the Youth 4 Wheeler Hunt at the Good Springs Alabama Pro Hunt. I decided to go because I go to a lot of hunt and this was actually closer to home than most of them.”

The hound that has made this big opportunity possible for Dalton is Alabama Lick. Dalton discussed the background on Lick, “He is a seven year old Black and Tan out of Northern Cash and Clear Creek Slam Jam. I just started hunting him in October. I like that he is by himself most of the time, normally a pretty good strike dog, and when he trees he is pretty accurate.”

Lick’s performance last night got him to this Final Four, Dalton talked about this, “He treed two coons early by himself. On the late round, he backed on a den tree. That is not like him at all. The other dog had minus and I did not. I am pretty excited and happy to be here.”

With this big moment, Dalton wanted to share some words of gratitude, “I want to thank Mark Jones, Bruce Gilliam, and Brad Kindred for letting me hunt their dogs and keeping them ready for me when I cannot go. I also want to thank my family for letting me go and do all of this and supporting me.”

Dalton is hoping to take the 4 Wheeler across the Tennessee state border and back home to Alabama tonight. He is hoping that Lick is going to give a top performance to make those wishes a reality! Good luck!

Mt Vernon Lil Susie
Ray Chestang
Hanlded by Joseph Franklin Lofton Jr

Joseph aka Little Joe is ten years old and made the trip from Alabama with his cousins. Little Joe is the son of Joseph Lofton Sr. and Mary Lofton. He got excited when he learned about the first ever 4 Wheeler Youth Challenge on the way home from the PKC Youth World Championship. He said, “I wanted to be a part of this event because it was a four wheeler. I was excited to hear about it. It took 99 calls to get David Sullivan (aka Man-Man) in and he was 44 and I got 62 on placement.”

Little Joe began his competition coon hunting last year at the Wiggins, Mississippi Youth Event. This was after pleasure hunting for about three years. He talked about how he got into the sport, “My daddy big Joe, Little Dave, David Sullivan, and Ray Chestang got me involved. I liked it because it is fun.”

Since competition hunting, Joe has amped up what he likes about the sport. He stated, “I enjoyed meeting new people and having fun. I let someone else hunt Susie at my first hunt in Wiggins because I thought I would do better with the other dog, but Susie won. I did win the Treeing Contest and dog box there. I also went to the PKC Youth World Championship, but Little Dave did better than me there. I went to a $50 open event and came in second in the cast along with falling in a pond. That was the coldest night of my life.”

Now Little Joe is in the Final Four. Little Joe is pretty excited about being in this position. He shared how things went for him to get to this point, “On the early round, it went good. Susie treed in a hole. Then we moved after that, cut them loose and we all struck in, but the hunt was over.

On the late round, we cut loose. One dog struck in for 100 points and I struck in for 75 points. The other two dogs struck in. The dog struck for 100 got treed for 100 points and I treed mine for 75 points, the other dogs also got treed in. Three dogs were on one tree and had a coon and the other dog was slick on its tree. We cut back loose and Susie got struck in for 75 points and then treed for 50 points. The next tree was slick. They all got struck back in for 25 points. Three of the dogs including mine treed at the end. She came back in to me though and I took minus. I ended up with zero.”

That zero put Little Joe and Susie into the Final Four. Joe is very proud of his dog Susie for what she has helped make possible in his life. He talked about her, “I like her because she is pretty and she is my first hunting dog. She is two years old and I raised her up from a pup. She goes back to Insane X on her momma’s side and her father goes back to Rat Attack.”

The Lofton and Sullivan family are not only related because Joe Sr. and David married first cousins, but they are also neighbors. Joe began coon hunting about eight years ago when he went with one of his best friends and David’s father was a coon hunter and he has hunted on and off for years. With the young boys involved in the sport it has been pretty exciting for both families. They say that they hunt as hard at the $30 hunts as they have for this four wheeler. One thing that they all agree on is that have really enjoyed themselves while here at the event. They talked about it, “We had a good time, good hunts, and a lot of sportsmanship.”

Now that Little Joe and Susie are getting ready to go out and try to make PKC Youth Program history, they have some people they want to show gratitude towards, Joe stated, “I want to thank Ray Chestang the owner of my dog, my daddy for driving me up here, Man-Man for upping the competition level and for not getting mad when I beat him, and my mama for letting us stay out so late.”

Good luck tonight to our Pre-Teen youth hunter in this Final Four of this historical event!

Bradley Durham
Administrator

Re: TN Youth Showdown Four Wheeler Final Matchup & Play by Play

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm

We are headed to the woods, it shouldn't be long until we have some action. It's 45 degrees and overcast, should be a good night.

Bradley Durham
Administrator

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm

We have arrived at the woods and getting dogs collared up and getting final instructions.

Bradley Durham
Administrator

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Dogs cast at 8:03 local time. Minute is up and nothing is struck.
Style struck for 100
Susie for 75

Bradley Durham
Administrator

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Lick struck for 50. Treed for 100

Style treed for 50

Bradley Durham
Administrator

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Trees closed and we are headed towards them, they aren't very far.
Zone struck for 25 to the right of the others

Bradley Durham
Administrator

Postby Bradley Durham » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:40 pm

Due to some unfortunate circumstances Style, Lick, and Susie have been scratched. And your four wheeler winner is Zach Bartel witb Zone. Congratulations to Zach, Josh Sparks, and John Harris.

Daryl Thompson
Starting Member
PKC Name: Daryl Thompson
City, State: Grand Junction, IA
PKC Member Since: 16 Dec 1982
Annual Membership Expires: 25 May 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $5,604
Cell #: 5152900197

Postby Daryl Thompson » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:48 pm

Congrats Zach..So sorry to hear bad luck to others should have been a great cast...

Nick Priamos
Starting Member
PKC Name: Nick Priamos
City, State: Bell Buckle, TN
PKC Member Since: 25 May 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 10 Jan 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $4,391

Postby Nick Priamos » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:32 pm

Crazy Circumstance’s = Dog Fight ?
Just Asking

Jeff Travis