End Of Era - PROHOUND Discontinued

This Forum is used only for Moderators of the Prohound Online Forum. Viewable by only you and other Moderators.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Blake Robertson
Starting Member
PKC Name: Blake Robertson
City, State: Minden, LA
PKC Member Since: 18 Apr 2013
Annual Membership Expires: 04 Mar 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $34,118
Cell #: 3182680545

Re: End Of Era - PROHOUND Discontinued

Postby Blake Robertson » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:51 am

When I renewed my membership back in May, I like all the other MEMBERS was under the impression that I would be receiving another 12 issues of Prohound. What is PKC gonna do about the issues we paid for and won't be receiving. Is PKC gonna address any of the statements made by its MEMBERSHIP here?!?!
PCH NITECH FLATLICK'S TWISTED SISTER
*a good dog is either treed or about to be*

Brian Howell
Starting Member
PKC Name: Brian Howell Ii
City, State: Greer, SC
PKC Member Since: 11 Dec 2019
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Feb 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,165
Cell #: 8648678965

Postby Brian Howell » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:40 am

Just here to express my displeasure with this decision. My kids and wife love to look at the magazine and also people that don’t know a single thing about Coon hunting always browse through them when I bring them to work.

Luke Williams
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Luke Williams
City, State: Midway, TN
PKC Member Since: 21 Mar 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 11 Aug 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $20,805

Postby Luke Williams » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:42 am

I go to clubs all over and see people sitting around looking at the magazines from years back bringing back memories of good times and dogs they loved hunts they were on that'll be no more the day of sitting at the club conversing with friends over a magazine filled with memories and food times is over
Chimney Top Kennels

Corey Moore
Starting Member
PKC Name: Corey Moore
City, State: West Green, GA
PKC Member Since: 25 Feb 2019
Annual Membership Expires: 27 Mar 2027
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $4,729
Cell #: 912-310-0441

Postby Corey Moore » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:02 am

The opinion of a peckerwood from south Georgia probably don't carry much weight but here it is anyway. Some of us struggle to find time to attend our local club hunts and only dream to get to run up and down the road to the big show. The prohound magazine is what makes us have those dreams. Without it alot of us can't connect to the big league and will this loose interest......hope pkc reconsiders

John Harris [AL]
Starting Member
PKC Name: John Harris
City, State: Lafayette, AL
PKC Member Since: 19 Jun 1997
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Feb 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $47,518

Postby John Harris [AL] » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 am

I love all.my.pkc family amd all my friends I draw amd have met over the years but if someone dont buy pkc amd get it back on track we aimt gonna have no pkc the otjer kc have stepped up amd we are beimg pushed out mark.my word in 5 yrs pkc will be a thing of the past if we domt do something
Ch.gr.nt.ch.silver ch. Allen Creek rain .
Sch.gr nt.ch canton's lightning bolt.
Ch. Nite ch wipeout 3 Zoom .
Gch wipeout space cowboy

Stephen Dunn
PKC Name: Stephen Dunn
City, State: Beebe, AR
PKC Member Since: 28 May 2008
Annual Membership Expires: 19 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $15,258
Cell #: 501-326-0816

Postby Stephen Dunn » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 am

That magazine serves a purpose much greater than a profit or loss statistic... it legitimized not only the sport but PKC and it's brand versus the competition. It was motivation to go to hunts on all levels. It was a driving force for kids and adults alike to not only strive for success but also take time out of their life to sit down each month and have a visual and physical connection with PKC. Pulling something up on a website is just not the same. While I'm sure it is expensive to produce and a hassle to get the information in, I'm not sure that it has been fully considered what the real cost of not putting it out will cost. It would probably be a wise decision to listen to the customer base on this one because everyone liked it. If it means membership cost go up, so be it but I fear not producing the magazine will make this organization just another place to enter a dog competition. Good luck with stacking up based on that alone.
Platinum Champion
GRNITECH (4), GRCH
BACKWATER DEVIL ANSE
GCH FLATROCK HEART BRAKE

Eugene Gafford
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Eugene Gafford
City, State: Springville, TN
PKC Member Since: 02 May 2007
Annual Membership Expires: 07 Dec 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $2,338

Postby Eugene Gafford » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:49 am

I'm gonna have to agree on this with everyone on here. It's not a good move. As a lot of you know my youngest son Shawn was in a near drowning accident in 2013 and has an anoxic brain injury. We kept his membership going for a few years till his dog "Tacoma" died. Anyways, my wife would take his Pro Hound magazine & read it to him every month. When we let Shawn's membership expire, when mine would come in I would read through it,then immediately take it to her to read to him. Now whether he understands everything she read, or can see the pictures plainly, none of us know. What we do know is he laid there attentive to that magazine. Sorry to see this go away.
"No matter,wudn't no Grizz left anyway"

Houston County Coon Club,
Sandy River Coon Club,

Springville Lodge #130 F&AM

Home of ...
Gafford's Hustlin' Lightnin',
Gafford's Goofy Goober, and
Gafford's Hustlin' BOLO

Layne Leverette
Starting Member
PKC Name: Layne Leverette
City, State: Shelbyville, TN
PKC Member Since: 02 Apr 1990
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Feb 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $112,813
Cell #: 931-675-1261

Postby Layne Leverette » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:51 am

I have been a member for many years I have every magazine since I first started getting them one 20 plus years. It’s a tradition and something that when all this is said and done in years to come our kids can pull out and show their kids what this great sport that their grandpas and great grandpas live and loved to do. Rd what is this association coming to. Don’t kill its legacy cause one day that’s all it will be

Jeff Nelson
PKC National Director
PKC Name: Jeff A. Nelson
City, State: Chadwick, IL
PKC Member Since: 08 Jul 1987
Annual Membership Expires: 30 Jun 2027
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $58,530

Postby Jeff Nelson » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:15 pm

I'm going to miss getting the magazine every month but also understand the reasoning behind dropping it. Its old news by the time we get it.

Paul A Frederick
Starting Member
PKC Name: Paul A. Frederick
City, State: Laurel, IN
PKC Member Since: 08 May 2001
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $49
Cell #: 319-371-6362

Postby Paul A Frederick » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:13 pm

I obviously don't hunt in hardly any PKC hunts and haven't ever had my name in the book or my picture on the cover. But really the only reason I pay my membership is to get the Prohound every month. Yes, I can get online and see some results, but it's not the same as looking through the magazine.

I'd like to know what percentage of PKC members are like me and never hunt in a PKC hunt or raise a litter of pups. I'd be willing to bet that that percentage will no longer be PKC members if there is not a Prohound. I know the argument will be that we can subscribe to the American Cooner for some of this info but I don't see the advantage of being a PKC member AND paying a subscription to AC. They are basically asking me to pay double my membership fee to get less PKC coverage!

Who I really feel for are the kids who are just coming into our sport. I've got a 12 year old who is just starting to take serious interest in coonhunting. He read the newest Coonhound Bloodlines before I even saw it yesterday. He asked me 5 minutes ago if the Prohound came in the mail today so he could read it, too. I remember being his age and pouring through every issue of both magazines. I understand the business reasons for discontinuing the Prohound, but I still think it is a bad move that will hurt the organization in the end.
Paul Frederick
Laurel, Indiana
319-371-6362

Michael Ward
Starting Member
PKC Name: Michael Ward
City, State: Falkville, AL
PKC Member Since: 04 Mar 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 01 Jun 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $408,613
Cell #: 256-636-4891

Postby Michael Ward » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:40 pm

Terrible move
PCH THE AMERICAN BILLIONAIRE

PCH CAPTAIN AMERICA

Gene Raines
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Gene Raines
City, State: Celina, TN
PKC Member Since: 28 May 1998
Annual Membership Expires: 01 Jun 2022
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $15,578
Cell #: 9313190588

Postby Gene Raines » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:45 pm

Bad move. In ten years our kids won’t know who won what cause what’s on the internet gets purged after a certain time. I always enjoyed the old magazines laying out at the club and still keep all the ones i had a part in winning.. I’m sure those little photos of winners won’t be posted or stay around long. Think it’s a bad move myself.
Home of:
Gone but Never Forgotten: PKC Silver Ch; UKC GRNTCH 'PR' Raines' Rockytop Trusty(Throws 3 generation All Grand)

PKC SILVER CH GRCH 'PR' Raines' Trusty II AKA Thunder (Trusty X Ox Female(Callie))

Tanner Kinkennon
Starting Member
PKC Name: Tanner Kinkennon
City, State: Selmer, TN
PKC Member Since: 14 Mar 2016
Annual Membership Expires: 15 Jul 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $14,925
Cell #: 7319824512

Postby Tanner Kinkennon » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Wow…sad day for all involved
PCH Wipeout High Dollar Dan

Lane Ikerd
Starting Member
PKC Name: Lane Ikerd
City, State: Burlington, KS
PKC Member Since: 25 Aug 2014
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $584
Cell #: 6207944714

Postby Lane Ikerd » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Gene Raines wrote:Bad move. In ten years our kids won’t know who won what cause what’s on the internet gets purged after a certain time. I always enjoyed the old magazines laying out at the club and still keep all the ones i had a part in winning.. I’m sure those little photos of winners won’t be posted or stay around long. Think it’s a bad move myself.

Can only go so far back online and find results of hunts. Which isn’t very far at all!

Josh Michaelis
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Josh Michaelis
City, State: Princeton, MO
PKC Member Since: 25 Sep 2001
Annual Membership Expires: 02 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $28,674
Cell #: 660-365-0209

Postby Josh Michaelis » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:34 pm

At some point the Professional Kennel Club is going to have to start focusing their efforts on growth instead of this fiscally conservative attitude.

Instead of cancelling the Prohound to save money, maybe focus on gaining new membership to cover the cost. There are millions of working dog owners in this country, and PKC is content to sit back and suck dollars out of such a small percentage of us with no reciprocity for the members other than organizing events for us to pay for.

It's just sad when there is so much more that could be done, and we are cutting costs instead of growing at a time when there is ample opportunity to do so.

Return to “Moderators Only”