2021 PKC Blue Ribbon "Pro" Format Update Proposal

This Forum is used only for Moderators of the Prohound Online Forum. Viewable by only you and other Moderators.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

James Paynter
Gold Member
PKC Name: James Paynter
City, State: Mallory, WV
PKC Member Since: 21 May 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 17 Oct 2022
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $48,303
Cell #: 304-928-3213

Re: 2021 PKC Blue Ribbon "Pro" Format Update Proposal

Postby James Paynter » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:47 am

Question 1 ... Can someone tell me PKC or a club official that has held one recently How much does a Host Club get from a pro hunt ?

Question 2 ... how much does a PKC official judge get for a weekend ?
PCH WIPEOUT WEAPON
SCH WIPEOUT COLT .45

Steve Yant
PKC National Director
PKC Name: Steve Yant
City, State: Sikeston, MO
PKC Member Since: 07 Jul 1984
Annual Membership Expires: 30 Jun 2027
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $363,083

Postby Steve Yant » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:52 pm

I like how PKC always puts blame on clubs when they want to change something.
I like one that makes you feel lonely

Hunter Jones
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Hunter Jones
City, State: Killen, AL
PKC Member Since: 11 May 2005
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $34,396

Postby Hunter Jones » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:25 pm

James if my memory serves me right. I think it was 750 to the club and that wouldn’t cover your guides if you paid them. But that’s been a few years back before good springs got Lexington’s pro-hunt.
I have mixed opinions on the judging issue I’ve had some great judges and not so great most cast you wouldn’t have an issue with hunting judges, but if you question a bad non hunting judge it’s a lot harder to over turn a non hunting.

The real issue is we have watered down our product to where no one has time to participate in every event going and if they do help out judging there is another major event somewhere the following weekend. We have wore down the quality people we have and are forced to just use whomever will carry the card. IMO

Robert D Vanderburg
Silver Member
PKC Name: Robert D. Vanderburg
City, State: Maysville, GA
PKC Member Since: 31 Jul 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $20,196

Postby Robert D Vanderburg » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 pm

James K Paynter wrote:Question 1 ... Can someone tell me PKC or a club official that has held one recently How much does a Host Club get from a pro hunt ?

Question 2 ... how much does a PKC official judge get for a weekend ?

The 4 official PKC judges currently get $400 for the weekend.
Bobby Vanderburg PKC #23027
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul ?
Mark 8:36 NKJV

Jack Bingham
PKC Name: Jack Bingham
City, State: Montour, IA
PKC Member Since: 18 Apr 2009
Annual Membership Expires: 10 May 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $52,531

Postby Jack Bingham » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:00 pm

The real issue is we have watered down our product to where no one has time to participate in every event going and if they do help out judging there is another major event somewhere the following weekend. We have wore down the quality people we have and are forced to just use whomever will carry the card. IMO
GR NITE CH PKC SCH JUST KIDDING TESS

HUNTER JONES 256-366-8957

Bingo
Platinum Ch Mosquito Creek Buggs

PKC Silver Ch Nite CH Snooki's Jersey Girl

PKC SILVER CH Grnite CH Wipeout Small Pox

641-750-4457

William L Smith
Bronze Member
PKC Name: William L. Smith
City, State: Morgantown, KY
PKC Member Since: 23 May 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Oct 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $6,410

Postby William L Smith » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:25 pm

If this crap keeps up we will pay a entry fee stay home and do the hunts like fantasy football

Travis Snyder
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Travis Snyder
City, State: Nevada, OH
PKC Member Since: 29 Oct 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 29 Apr 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $22,838
Cell #: 419-310-0913

Postby Travis Snyder » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:36 am

My veiw as a hunt director and putting on the Ohio pro hunt the last few years judges are the hardest thing to come by. I have at least 50 hunters that live and hour from the Bucyrus club. I have judged this hunt every year I am 3 mins from the club and don't get to hunt in the hunt. I hunted in Michigan pro hunt this year but had to do my part to put on the Ohio pro hunt. I Guide every round scored on at least 6 coons a cast every year one cast last year we scored on 12 coons and had coons treed after the hunt and we scored on 12 coons again this year on a cast putting guys in best hunting and during this time I'm standing there with a score card watching instead of hunting. Because no one else will step up. I'm standing in my back yard hosting a hunt that everyone fights over entrys for and I don't even get and opportunity to hunt in it I had 2 early round entrys this year and 1 late and sold them all because we needed judges. Every body with in and hour of Bucyrus wants and entry for the hunt so no one wants to judge because they want to hunt everyone tells me i am looking for entrys, can't blame the people this nice of hunt this close to the house every one wants to be a part of it. so then you ask other people they are not driving over and hour to judge one cast for 75 dollars it's not worth it to them judging the pro hunts the guys who do it do it because they want to help and they want to help the club but 75 percent of people out there are not that way any more you have to make it worth it for them to give up a Friday night to judge a cast and 75 dollars is not worth it. The second issue I try to find the most qualified judges I can every year i can't always find the most qualified judges because they are hunting so I try to make sure that I have honest people out there if it's the call they make it's what they believe the call should be they are not going to plus coons up that are not there they will be honest. But it's hard to keep those people around because guys who are hunting the hunts act like baby's and idiots and I loose a judge every year that way. This would be third year and every year a judge that judged last year won't judge this year because of some BS that happens. People just don't loose anymore they get - even though there dog doesn't tree a coon for 2 hours they get - and then they have to post about it on pro hound or Facebook about how bad there judge was and then next year that judge doesn't want to judge and people dont want to come judge because they don't want to minus a dog and wake up the next morning and it be all over Facebook and social media. People don't think before they do things and don't realize how there actions effects things. We have all hunted and we have all taken are share of screwings and I am sure half of us have given one back it's the game we play win some loose some it happens but Instead of people harassing the people that are willing to help out and judge why not bitch at the people that could be more qualified sitting at home watching TV or out pleasure hunting why not bitch at them that you had a bad judge and they should be there helping out instead of putting down the people willing to help. Third issue people are just not reliable any more you have sold dogs off the pro hound you post a dog for sale people message you a minute later asking for pictures videos still available then they say damn good mouth good looks and that's all you get or I'll take the dog and then you never here from them again or they call and talk 3 hours about dogs and they don't buy the dog it's same way with the pro hunt and judges. I call people a month or two before the pro hunt and let everyone know about the hunt so everyone can thank on it and I want to get on everyones calendar then two weeks before the hunt I start calling everyone to verify who can judge then the week of the hunt they all call me telling me something came up they can't do it so then I'm stuck days before the hunt selling my entrys or begging people to judge because peoples words mean nothing. It's a cat and mouse game trying to deal with this. Forth issue It's not judging anymore it's baby sitting. You are sending and adult out with 4 big kids to make sure they do things right that's it. Almost every dog is by them selves anymore I have been hunting for a while and seeing a dog cover is like 1 out of 50 when you cut them loose so what's there to judge? As a judge your just out there keeping time telling people when to cut and handle there dogs and when the hunt is over and half the time people don't even like it they still want to complain everyone always has too bitch. Stop watches are 5 bucks at wall Mart people can buy them and learn how to use them. I judged 4 rounds this past weekend and in 8 hours of hunting I seen dogs on same tree twice why did I waste my time all weekend all night long judging to walk around and say 5 up, you want help shining, cut your dog, your 5 is up go handle your dog, yup see your coon, walk minute, cut loose. They should be able to do all this them selves with out having a baby sitter out there walking around telling them what to do. We do it at all the major events truck hunt super stakes world hunt Nationals and your hunting for allot more money than 4500 at those hunts. People say that this will cause more cheating from the clubs I don't get how because the way the pro hunt stands now one guy can screw your brains out he can see every coon and never put a light in the tree but hunting judge it takes 3 so what ever happens you can ask for a vote and a question and make it right but not just one person can screw with a hunting judge takes 3 and 3 out of 4 of you have to agree on it. We also have to look at the times we are in now. When these rules were made 30 years ago everyone coon hunted you go to a 50 dollar hunt on weekend be at least 30 to 40 dogs if not more now we go to the hunts maybe have a cast sometimes 2 if your lucky. We don't have the hunters like we use to have. I am 28 and I can count a hand full of people my age hunting if you look at pictures most people are 40 and above. The numbers have got smaller over the years and we as a group have to adjust and in 20 years we will probably be having the same conversation changing rules again so we can adjust to the world. I also believe that if your against this rule change you should put your self on the list to judge a pro hunt next year and help out the clubs. Ill bet half The people that are against this rule have never judged a pro hunt anyway or had to host the pro hunt so they have no clue what's going on. If you have and excuse why you can't come judge then it proves are point why the rules need changed. If your not willing to come help you shouldn't have a say in it. People hunting the hunt should be qualified to judge they can drawl cast just how we do now and then drawl straws see who judges. That way PKC or the club is not picking judges "randomly" every time.

Ricky Riley
Silver Member
PKC Name: Ricky Riley
City, State: Ball Ground, GA
PKC Member Since: 11 Mar 1998
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Jul 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $10,954
Cell #: 678-467-7077

Postby Ricky Riley » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:18 am

Great post Travis ... no matter what side of the issue your on in this matter you can’t argue the validity of your points.

Return to “Moderators Only”