90 minutes cast

This Forum is used only for Moderators of the Prohound Online Forum. Viewable by only you and other Moderators.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jesse Lively Jr
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Jesse Lively Jr
City, State: Rayville, LA
PKC Member Since: 25 Feb 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $93,575

Re: 90 minutes cast

Postby Jesse Lively Jr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Michael Brown how do things get decided if something is done and you wanna do it the best way posible the folks hafta run their mouth as being part of a membership its our responsibility to voice how we feel no need in you being a jerk

Michael Brown
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Michael Brown
City, State: Ada, OK
PKC Member Since: 22 Sep 1999
Annual Membership Expires: 20 Apr 2019
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $525

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:44 pm

Jesse Lively Jr wrote:Michael Brown how do things get decided if something is done and you wanna do it the best way posible the folks hafta run their mouth as being part of a membership its our responsibility to voice how we feel no need in you being a jerk

I understand that I was being quite upfront, and I only done that in response to what I feel is people being insulting to hard working clubs trying to put on quality hunts for everyone! I only want folks to help us fix what is becoming a glaring problem for clubs! Shrinking hunting is a REAL, and INCREASING PROBLEM. I apologize for the insulting way I responded, and beg all you hunters to help us find the best solutions for an ever increasing problem. I only responded to being called a lazy hunter, and a joke. I know I wasn't directly called that, but reading the above comments I got that impression. I apologize once again, and thanks for being logical, and respectful in your response Jesse.

Michael Brown
Bronze Member

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:52 pm

I speak from experience. Pontotoc County Coonhunters in Ada, Oklahoma used to have 200 dogs a night at our two big hunts. The Battle of the Breeds, and our Pete D' Andrea memorial walker days. We was able to put a huge amount of casts in the woods, and had the guides to do this. Our club hunts used to have 20, 30, and more dogs for a $2 club hunt. A lot of folks no longer hunt, and our county has grown as well as spread out eliminating a vast amount of hunting. It's a struggle for clubs here, and I know there is places where it's not nearly as bad. But, PLEASE help us find a solution for this, and please don't insult clubs that work their butts off to provide YOU THE HUNTER with a good hunt!

Jesse Lively Jr
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Jesse Lively Jr
City, State: Rayville, LA
PKC Member Since: 25 Feb 2002
Annual Membership Expires: 14 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $93,575

Postby Jesse Lively Jr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:13 pm

I well know that i put foward a bad impression as being a BUTT and i for real can be one but i have love for every one if PKC goes to 90 minute cast i am gonna hunt them my win percent will go south but i will still be trying

Michael Brown
Bronze Member

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Jesse Lively Jr wrote:I well know that i put foward a bad impression as being a BUTT and i for real can be one but i have love for every one if PKC goes to 90 minute cast i am gonna hunt them my win percent will go south but i will still be trying

That's the attitude that will keep our sport alive when we have to compensate for the overwhelming challenges our sport faces!

Michael Brown
Bronze Member

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Having more hunts is another solution. Drop hunt numbers even more, requiring less guides, but allowing clubs to choose guides that can support a two hour cast without problem. That might be what happens if 90 minute casts aren't accepted.

Brandon Glass
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Brandon Glass
City, State: Iola, TX
PKC Member Since: 20 Jul 1994
Annual Membership Expires: 24 Mar 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $11,719
Cell #: 936 348 8491

Postby Brandon Glass » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Id rather it be 2 hour casts. That extra 30 minutes has lost me a few cast and won me a few. The people that say dogs that are winning in a hour and a half will most likely win if it was 2 hours are sadly mistaken there are a ton of different things can happen in that last 30 minutes. The major events I've been to have always had plenty of hunting. If a place can't handle 2 hours of hunting call time out and move. It is what it is though. If every hunt was 90 minute cast I guess I would go anyway.

Micheal Brown you used an example of a person from California buying land in the middle of your hunting grounds and that's a reason they should be 90 minute casts. Do you not think a dog can make it to that posted land in 90 minutes?
GCH Little Miss Dottie
WCH Thousand Dollar Bill

Michael Brown
Bronze Member

Postby Michael Brown » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Brandon Glass wrote:Id rather it be 2 hour casts. That extra 30 minutes has lost me a few cast and won me a few. The people that say dogs that are winning in a hour and a half will most likely win if it was 2 hours are sadly mistaken there are a ton of different things can happen in that last 30 minutes. The major events I've been to have always had plenty of hunting. If a place can't handle 2 hours of hunting call time out and move. It is what it is though. If every hunt was 90 minute cast I guess I would go anyway.

Micheal Brown you used an example of a person from California buying land in the middle of your hunting grounds and that's a reason they should be 90 minute casts. Do you not think a dog can make it to that posted land in 90 minutes?

Of course a dog can make it there in 90 minutes, but we've had to change how we hunt that particular bottom to make it less likely for a dog to go there. And, the more times you cut a dog in that bottom on a particular night the more likely they'll get to his place. We've unfortunately had to make adjustments, but an increased risk is still there regardless. A 90 minute cast makes it less likely that we get on him.

Jason Garrett
Starting Member
PKC Name: Jason Garrett
City, State: Waldron, AR
PKC Member Since: 10 Aug 1996
Annual Membership Expires: 12 Sep 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $2,361
Cell #: 9403291298

Postby Jason Garrett » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:18 pm

When it comes to rules I'm all about what favors the best hound to win and I feel 2hr hunts favors the best hound.

I also feel the leash lock rule favors the best hound when you draw the tree monsters and they get leash locked and then led to the COONDOG treed with a coon. The leash lock rule also allows for time out to be called and a move to new ground in the areas not big enough for two hour hunts.

I realize the leash lock rule favors the struck truck to tree dogs but I think that could be better handled by making all strike points worth 50. If all strike points were 50 dogs would still be penalized for quitting tracks.

If all strike points were worth 50 it would open the door for the hot nosed, run past 15 coon until they bump heads with one and they are treed dogs. This situation could be addressed by scratching any dog that is continuously silent on track and 3 barks on the ground is not running track.

Kevin Dinkins
Starting Member
PKC Name: Kevin T. Dinkins
City, State: Sarepta, LA
PKC Member Since: 30 Mar 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 25 Jul 2021
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $3,654

Postby Kevin Dinkins » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

2hr hunts is my vote if you don't want to hunt 2 don't come find you a 1hr hunt , I've walked farther on some 1hr hunts than ever on a 2hr it all depends on if the coons moving or not not the acreage we got to hunt

Sonny Phipps
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Carl R. Phipps Jr
City, State: Big Prairie, OH
PKC Member Since: 22 Jan 1994
Annual Membership Expires: 03 Jan 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $2,010

Postby Sonny Phipps » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:36 am

Another option is to breed,Train and hunt a different style of dog that works in the 1 hour and the 90 min hunt! It all relates to what and where you hunt. A guy with the Pack animal that is hard to handle in the run and gun coons likes this kinda hunt and the guy with a loner does not. So if all cast would shorten up and the pack dogs start winning what would all the deep and lonely do????? Just something to think about, Times change and so does the dogs we hunt.
TREEBOUND KENNELS
GET DEEP OR GET BEAT!!!

Jim Sizemore
Gold Member
PKC Name: James M Sizemore
City, State: New Paris, IN
PKC Member Since: 13 Jan 2000
Annual Membership Expires: 27 Jun 2020
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $449

Postby Jim Sizemore » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 am

You cant hardly find a 2 hour PKC hunt around these parts any more. Its the same story everywhere, "we just dont have enough hunting ground for 2 hour hunts". So every weekend, there is a double header. Now, my question is how can you find ground to hunt two one hour casts if you dont have enough ground for one two hour cast?

Steve Raleigh
Bronze Member
PKC Name: Steve Raleigh
City, State: Anna, TX
PKC Member Since: 23 Jul 2004
Annual Membership Expires: 16 Sep 2022
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $1,998

Postby Steve Raleigh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:03 pm

Jim Sizemore wrote:You cant hardly find a 2 hour PKC hunt around these parts any more. Its the same story everywhere, "we just dont have enough hunting ground for 2 hour hunts". So every weekend, there is a double header. Now, my question is how can you find ground to hunt two one hour casts if you dont have enough ground for one two hour cast?

Most likely that is the excuse most use but in reality people would rather hunt 1hr cast and not 2hr in your area.
PKC SCH Rush Run Lil
PKC CH GRNITECH RALEIGH’S HAWK

Past
PKC PCH SS CH GRNITECH MISTER OVERDRIVE
PKC GCH GRNITECH Kate
PKC GCH NITECH Wipeout 3 Bee
PKC SCH YWCH DIRTY SOUTH SIDE
PKC GCH GRNITECH Little MISS Dottie
PKC SCH NITECH Wipeout Shorty

Michael Brown
Bronze Member

Postby Michael Brown » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:53 pm

We have absolutely ZERO problems with two hour UKC hunts, and that's because we're able to spot hunt. Dogs packing, and treeing together makes it super easy to hunt almost anywhere.

Adam Borden
Starting Member
PKC Name: Adam Borden
City, State: Moulton, AL
PKC Member Since: 09 Jul 2006
Annual Membership Expires: 02 Oct 2024
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $9,877
Cell #: 2566684223

Postby Adam Borden » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 pm

The only reason I think 90 min cast should be used is in the hot summer months. It can be rough on hounds especially in drought times .
PKC SCH. GRNT. CH SACKETT’S RED WILLIE

Return to “Moderators Only”