2015 PKC Youth World Championship - Final Six Interviews

Round by Round match ups and results from the 2015 PKC Youth World and World Championships October 23-31, 2015 in Salem, Illinois.

Moderators: R D Carnegie, Kristi Denney, Jerry Moll, Shane Patton, Chris Freiberger

Jerry Moll
Platinum Member
PKC Name: Jerry Moll
City, State: Batesville, IN
PKC Member Since: 02 Feb 1989
Annual Membership Expires: 26 Oct 2023
Lifetime Handler Earnings: $30,080
Cell #: 812-212-1619

2015 PKC Youth World Championship - Final Six Interviews

Postby Jerry Moll » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:55 pm

By PKC National Youth Director; Amy Thomas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nick Loomis

Nick Loomis, from McDonough, New York, is the son of Kevin Chrystal Loomis. This past year, Nick graduated from Cincinnatus High School. When he was there, he played soccer and basketball. Now he is working in construction. Nick is handling Skuna River Hammer owned by Loomis or Morrell this weekend.

Nick has been hunting since he was twelve years old. He first went with his best friend, Jeff Stith. He then started competing when he was fourteen years old. Nick has been a part of the PKC program for about four years. When asked what he likes about it, Nick said, “I like the competition of hunting with good dogs and also being paid money.”
Being a part of the 2015 Youth World Championship for his last time almost did not happen. Nick talked about what went on, “I could not afford to come and people came out and supported me. I was funded in part by Waylon Morrell, James Auxier, William Hubbard, Matt Wilday, James Cadigan Jr., Scott Privitera, and several others.”

Nick’s dog this weekend is Hammer that he co-owns with Waylon Morrell. He talked about Hammer, “We have had him for about a year. He is common, but I like him. He trees coons. The biggest event we have won was the Nor’eastern. It is a big PKC hunt we have here.I got him in and won the youth part of the event.”

Nick talked about how his casts went, “It went good. I hunted with good people and had a good judge. We treed a couple coons and Hammer looked decent. We had 175 plus points. In the late round, it was a good cast and I had a good judge again. Hammer got deep by himself and had the only coon we saw. I had 125 plus points.”

When asked if there were people that he wanted to thank, Nick said, “I would like to thank my friends and family for supporting me through what I like to do and for helping me on my trip out here.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Whitley

Brandon Whitley, is from Union, Missouri, and is the son of Mark and Melody Whitley. This weekend, he is handling Mister Jack’s AJ owned by Brian Weirich. Brandon had been hunting another female, Freak N Crazy, but she passed away this summer due to heat stroke. Despite his set back, Brandon made the Final Six.

Four years ago, Brandon had a dog from Larry Burden and through it, he met up with Chris ‘Wormy’ Frieberger. The two became partners on Crazy and were winning big! Sadly, the unfortunate struck, but good friends stepped up. Brian Weirich set him up with Mister Jack’s AJ. Brandon has been hunting him for the past three months. Brandon talked about what it is he likes about AJ, “I like him because he gets deep and is good at having a coon.”

Brandon talked about how his casts went Friday night, “On the early round, right out of the gate, AJ struck for 50 points. Another handler and I treed at same time, so we had to split our tree points. After that, AJ was 1.7 miles treed and had four coon in one tree. All dogs were split, so I sat there for 30 minutes waiting on the cast. It was a good cast; AJ had all plus points with no circle or minus. We won with 262.5 plus. In the late round, AJ ruck for 50 points and treed for 100 points on a den. Then he struck for 50 points and treed for 100 points on a coon. After that, the hunt was over. We won with 150 plus.”

When asked what he has enjoyed about the PKC Youth Program, Brandon said, “It has a lot to offer and I like to hunt for money. I would rather hunt for that than a yellow slip and there seems to be less arguing.”

When asked if he had people that he wanted to thank, Brandon replied, “I would like to thank Chris Freiberger for getting me into it. I would like to thank Brian Weirich for letting me hunt his dog. When times were rough, he was there for me to try to get the scholarship money. I also want to thank my dad Mark Whitley for going wherever it takes.”

Alex Postle

Alex , from Newark, Ohio, is the son of Scot and Kerri Postle. He is a senior at Licking Valley High School. This weekend Alex is handling Bogalos Big Silas owned by Neil Walpole. Won early round with 200 plus. Won late round with 150 plus.

Alex got into coon hunting by going with friends when they invited him. He talked about his start, “I started going when I was in elementary school. I then got into competition because my friends started doing it and I watched them. I thought it was interesting, so I started it. I met Neil at the coon hunts. Neil needed a handler and I did not have a dog to hunt so that was how I came to handle Silas.”

Alex talked about what it is that he likes Silas, “I like him because he can tree coons. His strike and tree placement all depends on what is going on in the hunt. Silas has been known to be fast and he has been known to take a minute. All we have won to get her here has been $30 hunts.”

Alex talked how his casts went on Friday, “In the early round, I got a 100 strike and 100 tree points on the first tree. I put it on cruise control from there. Then in the late round, Silas went about 400 yards and treed a coon. I had 50 strike and 100 tree on that one. Then I struck for 25 points with a line and then Silas ended up treeing with another dog. I had to tree, so he would not get minused if a coon was seen. That was a circle tree that had a big nest at the top.”

This is Alex’s first time to PKC world. He joined the youth program not too long ago. Alex said that he likes it because of the hunting. Alex said that he would like to thank everyone who helped him get here.

Hubert Sneed

Hubert Sneed, is from Hollytree, Alabama, is the son of Elaine and the late James Sneed. Hubert just graduated from Paint Rock Valley High School where he played basketball. He is now going to Calhoun Community College. He hopes to go into either the commercial electrical or industrial maintenance fields.

Hubert is handling Rocket City Underdog aka Dog, owned by Brandon Sisk at this World Championship. Hubert talked about how he knows Brandon, He is one of my best friend’s cousin. Brandon owns a store next to us. Brandon is the one who got me hunting two years ago, but I just started competition hunting in March. I got into it competition because it was something to do on the weekends. Then I started pushing the dog in the State Race.”

Hubert talked about what it is that he likes about Dog, “He is an independent dog. He does better by himself.” Hubert talked about how his Friday night casts went, “On the early round, we turned loose and Dog got off by himself. He struck for 25 points and treed for 100 points. It was the only coon we saw. The other dogs in the casts had circles; we could not find it if they had one. Dog won the early round with 125 plus points. Then in the late round, I got very lucky. First off, two of the dogs split treed and had a coon. Our tree was circle. We cut loose and the other three treed, it was circle. Dog was still running and had not struck in yet. He was about 700 yards away and he struck, so I called him for 100 points. He had a coon up a little bitty tree. The other two dogs treed and if they had a coon, I would have lost. They had a circle, so I got lucky. We ended up with 200 plus points.” When asked who he wanted to mention, Hubert said, “I want to thank Brandon Sisk for letting me hunt the dog. I would also like to thank Dylan Sisk and Tony Lee for helping me get Dog ready. I would really like to thank my mom for supporting me.”

Cole Mozingo

Cole Mozingo, from Laurel, Mississippi, is the son of Sammy and Jennifer Mozingo. He is a sophomore at Northeast Jones High School. He plays football and baseball there and is an honor student. Cole is hunting Tallahala Creek Maggie, owned by George Walters, this weekend.

Cole started coon hunting when he was about ten years old. He talked about what he likes about it, “It is exciting. It keeps me in the woods and out of trouble.”

Cole has been a part of the PKC Youth program for only a year. He shared what he thinks about it, “I like that I can do one hour hunts during the week. This is my first time at the World and it has been awesome and a great experience.”
Maggie is owned by George Walters. Cole shared how he came to handle Maggie and what he likes abot her, “I met him through Mark Sumrall and through hunting. George is part of our coon club. I have been hunting Maggie for about seven months now. I like her mouth. She normally is a first or second strike dog. She has a good transition from locate to tree.”

Cole talked about how his casts went on Friday, “Maggie did pretty good. On the early round, she had second strike and first tree on a coon. She treed within ten minutes. After she treed, another dog split from us. We went to Maggie and she had a coon. Then we went to the other tree and they had a coon. We cut back loose and I had third strike and third tree on another coon. There were three dogs when we got there. We left that tree and walked. Maggie struck back in for 25 points and tracked then came treed with the English on the tree. He took first, so Maggie had second tree. One of the other dogs came treed before us, so we went to her and she had a possum. On our way to Maggie’s tree, the hunt ran out. We won with 375 plus point. Then on the late round, I cut loose Maggie and had first strike. About ten to fifteen minutes later, two dogs came treed about 400 yards away. Maggie kept trailing and came treed about 80 yards ahead of them. I treed her while we were shining the other tree. The tree we were shining was a circle tree. When we went to Maggie, she had a coon. Two dogs came treed. One of the dogs had been trailing the whole hunt, so we walked and cut to that dog. Maggie struck back in for 25 points. Then she trailed for the rest of the hunt. We won the late round with 200 plus.”

When asked if there were people that he wanted to mention, Cole said, “I would like to thank Mark for teaching me how to call a dog. We spend a lot of time in the Delta hunting. He teaches me the rules and when to speak up and when to not. I want to thank my dad for always being there and taking me to the hunts and picking me up from there. He has bought all my supplies. Also, I want to thank George Walters for letting me handle his dog.”

David Ellsworth

David Ellsworth used to live in New York, but now he has moved to Illinois. David is used to hunting here in his new home of Patoka, Illinois. He is the son of David and Sherri Ellsworth. He is a seventh grader at Patoka Central School. This weekend, he is handling WTF kennel’s dog Cutter Jim.

David has been hunting since he was just a little guy. He began with his dad when he was four years old. David has been coming to the PKC Youth World Championship since he was only five years old. Now he is twelve years old and in the Top Six tonight.
David has been handling Cutter Jim for the past two years. In fact, he used to own Cutter Jim before his friends at WTF kennel bought him. David talked about that, “We are good friends. They are all from New York, like we are. What I like about Cutter Jim is that he trees coons.”

David talked about how the last two casts went for him, “On the early round, things went really good. We got first and first on a coon. Then Cutter Jim got a circle tree and the hunt was over. Then on the late round, Jim got first and first on coon out of the truck. Then he took some minus. Then Cutter Jim treed another coon. Then tonight Jim went in and struck for 75 points and had a coon by himself for 100 points.”

David had some people that he wanted to mention, “I would like to thank my dad David Ellsworth for letting me hunt the dog and giving me all the money and opportunity to do this. I would also like to Grant Tuttle, Matt Wilday, Alan Fuhs and Clayton Cain for letting me get the $100 won with their dog Charlotte. I want to thank my mom Sherri and the rest of my family for supporting me through this and loving me like they do.”

Return to “2015 PKC Youth World and World Championships”